Newbie and scared but ready to try

Cris06

Hi! I’m new and hoping to start tomorrow. I’ve had many friends do Whole30 and it’s taken me a while to hit a point where I’ve wanted to try. But I’ve hit a breaking point and something needs to change. I’m 5’3 and have been stuck at 148 lbs for the last 3 years since by son was born. My life is super busy and stressed and it’s been tough taking care of myself. In addition, I suffer from asthma, allergies and acne (still... at almost 40). My skin is honestly my biggest motivation for being here because I am so tired of having to deal with it and trying other treatments unsuccessfully. My weight is also another big motivator for me as well, in addition to energy level, stress and anxiety. I love coffee with sugary cream. I love all sugar, carbs, cheese and snacks. I do already eat fruits and veggies daily and rarely eat out. I also cut out all alcohol in my life several years ago. So at least I have that part down! But I also have some food allergies I’ll have to work around (all nuts, shellfish, and avocado to name a few)  But I’m optimistic! Would love any and all support from anyone else just getting started.  

Hey there! Also a newbie, also scared. I'm about 5'4, 165 lbs and I've tried working out and the dieting. I'm stuck! I'm hoping Whole 30 is the answer I've been looking for. I also cut out alcohol a while back so I'm fine on that front, but like you said I love my sugary coffee creamers and all things carbs. I used to think I ate pretty well, at least better than I have in the past. But my dad did Whole 30 a while back and lost 40 lbs with no exercise, and that made me think maybe I wasn't eating so great after all! My energy levels are also extremely low so hopefully that will improve. I'm not starting the program till Monday to give myself the weekend to prepare. I'm ready to make some serious changes. Good luck with your journey!!! We got this!

Good luck to both of you!  I have been reading a lot and this all makes so much sense!  The piece of advice that has been most helpful to me is with regards to hunger vs. craving. I’ve realized the past few days that I’ve not been hungry enough to eat fish or broccoli so it was a craving. Today it came about 11/2 hrs after finishing lunch. RIGHT when I used to drink my coffee and creamer while picking up children from school. I couldn’t believe it!  My body has been on a bad sugar schedule!!!  I am only on day four and I know there may be hard times ahead but I’m ready!  Oh. Acne still at 44. Tried everything. It’s crazy!  Ready to find out what my body can’t handle. I can tell you it’s loving protein, veggies and extra fat (referring to the plate template)!

I want to encourage all of you. It first starts in the mind and it sounds like you all are definitely ready. Yes you got this and you are going to feel so much better and your skin will look better too. I completed my whole 30 on April 9 but after my reintroduction phase, I wanted to do it again. After reintroducing certain foods, I found they didn't make me feel as well as I did when eating whole 30. Now I'm not saying you can never enjoy a piece of cake again but I enjoy making healthier choices. I'm 47.

To all three of you: BRAVO!  You've taken the most important step and I am right with you.  This is a series of decisions made to love yourself in a really good way - not in the "oh, I want a cappucino" way.  I have been on this road before, but need to fine tune some behaviors - and I can learn a lot from each of you who have kicked the alcohol habit....so help me out too - and I will do what I can for you.

Thanks everyone! I’m ending day 2 and feel pretty good. I’ve tripled my water intake the past few days and I think that alone has made a big difference. I’m having some weird tooth pain and I think I’ll go to bed earlier tonight but overall I don’t feel like I’ve hit the full on hangover yet like I’ve read about. Maybe it’s coming tomorrow?  I’m trying to mentally prepare for it. I worked last night to prep some foods for the next 2 or 3 days. But I’m planning to cook Sunday and hopefully prep for the whole week. Any recipes you want to share? I’m really missing out with my avocado allergy and also feel I don’t have any source of fat other than EEVO on my salad and meats. I’m not a huge fan of coconut. How else can I get fats?

Hi there! It feels really good to be part of a bigger community, reading about you having the same issues (partly) and the same doubts - but also a lot of motivation! I am starting right now and I am definitely NOT looing forward to not having chewing gum or (artificially) sweetened drinks or ice cream. But if it helps with my digestion issues, clears my skin and raises my energy levels, I am happy to try it! (Altough I have a feeling, I'll need a lot of support from you guys here in the forum...) 
Encouraging each other is great and I think we are all doing wonderfully for even trying - LET'S DO THIS!

What I am noticing so far, day two, of this journey is the small, almost hourly decisions I can make toward wellness and self-love.  Taking a nap or lie-down when I need it, eating lots of veggies at each meal, asking myself if I am really hungry, or just bored, or having some other emotion that needs to be listened to - not buried under something else going in to my mouth.  Many little decisions, every day - almost every hour.

Archived