Why would reintroducing plain, non fat Greek yogurt bring out my sugar and snack dragon?

Cjcheck

On day 31, I introduced dairy by having a cup of plain, non fat Greek yogurt with some nuts and a little dry fruit for breakfast.  Two hours later, I was starving and felt like binge snacking the whole day.  I ate a compliant lunch but still gave into snacking in the afternoon.  I haven't snacked since day 5 and feel like old habits are back after one day on reintroduction.    The only other symptoms had after the yogurt was some indigestion.   Am I allergic or sensitive to dairy or was it something else that triggered by carb dragon? 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Cjcheck said:

On day 31, I introduced dairy by having a cup of plain, non fat Greek yogurt with some nuts and a little dry fruit for breakfast.  Two hours later, I was starving and felt like binge snacking the whole day.  I ate a compliant lunch but still gave into snacking in the afternoon.  I haven't snacked since day 5 and feel like old habits are back after one day on reintroduction.    The only other symptoms had after the yogurt was some indigestion.   Am I allergic or sensitive to dairy or was it something else that triggered by carb dragon? 

I think this is explained by 'two hours later I was starving'.  What you ate is not a lot of food, yogurt is quite similar to a smoothie in that it's quite a liquid food that digests faster than a chewed food and you have no veggies for bulk.  I doubt it was a sensitivity but rather a case of undereating the first meal of the day which sets up you playing catchup for the rest of the day - hence the desire to binge snack all day.

12 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I think this is explained by 'two hours later I was starving'.  What you ate is not a lot of food, yogurt is quite similar to a smoothie in that it's quite a liquid food that digests faster than a chewed food and you have no veggies for bulk.  I doubt it was a sensitivity but rather a case of undereating the first meal of the day which sets up you playing catchup for the rest of the day - hence the desire to binge snack all day.

Thank you. I think I will experiment again with the yogurt but add veggies and delete the fruit to see if the response changes. 

12 hours ago, Brewer5 said:

No fat in the yogurt + sugar in the dried fruit set you up for a bad day.

I think you will find this article helpful:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/

Thank you!  I really liked this article as it explains that some people can have an unhealthy insulin response to dairy and that's definitely what it felt like to me.  I even took my fasting glucose a few hours later because I was so ravenous and angry and it showed I was just ABOVE the normal range, into the diabetic range.  Dairy may be a trigger for me. I went back to a whole30 breakfast the last two mornings and felt great. I may experiment again with different types of dairy (with veggies, full fat, raw milks and cheeses etc) 

@Cjcheck it may have something to do with the way you used to eat yogurt?

For me, yogurt is also kind of a slippery slope because eating one triggers old memories of eating yogurt + sugary granola + fruit or nut butter I used to eat all the time - it is really much more a craving/habit thing for me and not a sensitivity.

If I have a sugary breakfast, it often turns the whole day upside down. Our brains are hardwired for habits to take over whenever they can so our brains don't have to work as hard 24/7. If your brain gets a cue (eating a yogurt) for a previous habit (hello, sugar dragon!), it might trigger cravings!

But like I said, this is just my experience... if this is not your scenario, maybe it really did just have to do with you not eating enough or your insulin response.

Hope you can figure it out :) 

Archived