How do you get your caffeine?

djt

So I'm on my first time doing whole30, and only on day 3. So far so good! My only "problem" is trying to figure out how to get caffeine in my system. The last three days I've had coffee with nutpods creamer and I just really don't like it. The first two days I wasn't able to drink enough of my coffee and ended up getting a caffeine headache. Today I choked it down just so I could get the caffeine I needed in my system. Now I know that I shouldn't *need* caffeine and headaches are a sign of withdrawals and that's bad and all... I'm aware of that. But now is really not the time for me to cut caffeine. I'm not looking for that. I'm here looking for advice on how to either a.) make my coffee tolerable, or b.) a whole30 compliant drink/food that will get me the same caffeine as I was getting from my coffee, that also tastes decent. 

I'm considering the following:

1.) Going to the local coffee shop and getting a nice quality coffee in hopes that I can drink it black

2.) trying coconut milk with cinnamon or a vanilla bean

3.) Switching to green tea with lemon, though I'm not sure it'll have enough caffeine? 

When I looked on PInterest, there were all of these recipes for Whole30 compliant coffee creamers, but when I looked on the website here, it looks like Whole30 actually doesn't like those coffee creamers and considers them SWYPO. Am I right on that? 

Thanks! 

-DJT

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, djt said:

So I'm on my first time doing whole30, and only on day 3. So far so good! My only "problem" is trying to figure out how to get caffeine in my system. The last three days I've had coffee with nutpods creamer and I just really don't like it. The first two days I wasn't able to drink enough of my coffee and ended up getting a caffeine headache. Today I choked it down just so I could get the caffeine I needed in my system. Now I know that I shouldn't *need* caffeine and headaches are a sign of withdrawals and that's bad and all... I'm aware of that. But now is really not the time for me to cut caffeine. I'm not looking for that. I'm here looking for advice on how to either a.) make my coffee tolerable, or b.) a whole30 compliant drink/food that will get me the same caffeine as I was getting from my coffee, that also tastes decent. 

I'm considering the following:

1.) Going to the local coffee shop and getting a nice quality coffee in hopes that I can drink it black

2.) trying coconut milk with cinnamon or a vanilla bean

3.) Switching to green tea with lemon, though I'm not sure it'll have enough caffeine? 

When I looked on PInterest, there were all of these recipes for Whole30 compliant coffee creamers, but when I looked on the website here, it looks like Whole30 actually doesn't like those coffee creamers and considers them SWYPO. Am I right on that? 

Thanks! 

-DJT

Your three options you listed are all what most of us would have listed :)  The other thing you can try is cold brew which is less acidic than hot brewed coffee.  I put a recipe for my cold brew method below.  You can also try black tea which has twice the caffeine as green tea.  Cream of Earl Gray (basically Earl Gray with vanilla) with coconut milk is divine!

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, djt said:

Thank you! Which method have you found to work best for you?

I love coffee with coconut milk in it personally.  I find it extremely rich and creamy (get the full fat canned stuff) and quite delightful hot or cold.  If I couldn't have coconut milk then I prefer a black cold brew and if I couldn't have any of those, I'd probably go with black tea and coconut milk.

Sometimes I brew my coffee with a small chunk of cinnamon in the french press with the grounds and that's quite nice too.  I've also been known to put a tsp or so of pumpkin pie spice in with the grounds in winter.

• 2 months later...

I used to only be able to have coffee with half n half and sugar. Luckily before the whole 30, i kicked the sugar in it. The best substitute i've found for the half n half is the canned coconut creamer. I get the one from trader joes in the can with the peach label. Its reduced fat and the only ingredients are coconut and water. I use about half a can per large cup of coffee (i know its a lot, but at least i can enjoy it) and i blend the cream with a hand blender before adding my coffee so its nice and frothy. Its the best cream substitute I've found and extra points for it not having a lot of ingredients.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Roya said:

reduced fat

Reduced fat canned coconut milk just means it's got a higher water-to-coconut ratio. You could buy the full fat version, or even canned coconut cream if you can find it, and water it down some for the same effect. I don't know what versions Trader Joe's carries, but check them out next time and see if it might not be a better deal, cost-wise, to get the full fat version instead.

22 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Reduced fat canned coconut milk just means it's got a higher water-to-coconut ratio. You could buy the full fat version, or even canned coconut cream if you can find it, and water it down some for the same effect. I don't know what versions Trader Joe's carries, but check them out next time and see if it might not be a better deal, cost-wise, to get the full fat version instead.

good idea!

My new attitude with eating better by using W30 as the precedent includes adopting the concept of "quality over quantity." 

I used to drink some 6-8 cups of coffee a day with half n' half.  I never thought I would like the taste of black coffee,  but now I do and would not think of reaching for the creamer.  Black coffee with a good breakfast seems to enhance the flavor of the food because there is no moo to disguise the meal.   I am enhancing this by purchasing better brand of beans (and am even grinding it in the morning.)  A better quality bean is allowing me to drink less of it and I am enjoying the flavours more than i could imagine.

Perhaps try a step-up quality from your normal brew and embrace it black.

image.png.2b25b01c2be9752cef977f1c916912c5.png

• 1 month later...

DAy 25 here - and guess what - I gave up the coffee. I learned I didn't care for it for the nutpod or coconut mix so i just skip it. I may have been loving the caffeine but I think rally it was the milk and sugar that I really craved. I intend to give my adrenals a break and switched to herbal tea in the morning for my warm cup fix. 

I NEVER thought this would happen. I Love my coffee or so I thought. 

• 1 month later...

Archived