Brisket

Bernard@fulloflifefarm.com

Don't know about in America, you know what they say, we're two nations divided by a common language :) but over here Brisket is "A cut of beef taken from just below the shoulder along the length of the chest/breast. It's a fairly firm cut, so it's inexpensive, and benefits from long, slow cooking. Sold on the bone, or boned and rolled, it's often cooked in one piece. Delicious pot roasted, poached or braised and used in casseroles or stews." (cribbed from BBC website)

It's definitely my favourite cut, I've only ever seen it boned and rolled. In fact I'm off to the farmer's market just now as I ordered a kilo of it along with my bones :)

Brisket comes from the lower chest area of the cow. It's a tougher cut of meat and is served well by cooking low and slow. In Texas (where I grew up) It's smoked and served at BBQ joints. So yummy!. It's also the same cut that is turned into corned beef.

Best thing to do is to cook it low and slow, 250-300F for hours until fork tender. Either season with just salt and pepper or if you want to add a few extra spices, I like paprika, cumin, a little chili powder, garlic powder.

My mom used to cook it using liquid smoke but I have no idea if that is compliant. It sure was tasty and gave a smokey flavor. Probably not compliant.

Archived