Starting May 13th! Looking for suggestions

beccadilly

Hello there! I'm a newbie to Whole 30 starting in a week. :D

I wanted to give myself some time to plan meals, get my pantry in order, educate myself, read the books, and find recipes. If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them! I especially concerned about eating out. Each week, my company takes all of it's employees out to lunch. You get assigned to a small group and can go out anywhere the group chooses. I'm worried about getting to a restaurant and having to ask the waiter a million questions about food prep, or ending up accidentally getting something non-compliant. Any tips about cuisines that tend to be more Whole30 friendly than others? Any other blogs or sites you love to follow for tips or recipes? 

• Moderators

As part of your planning, take some time to look around the forum threads here.  We've talked about everything from favorite cookbooks and blogs to dining out.  Google is the best way to search the site so to start google 'whole30 dining out' or 'whole30 eating out with coworkers' or something similar and see what you get.  You can also find our Guide to Dining Out which is also easily googl-able (I can't link from this device).  Usually we recommend finding out ahead of time what restaurant you're going to, look them up online to see if you can find their menu and then once you think you have a plan of what you might like to eat, call ahead at a non busy time to ask the questions so that all you have to do is confirm when ordering.  If that doesn't work, order with your substitutions and then once the wait staff leaves, excuse yourself to the bathroom and approach the server to have a conversation about what you ordered in private away from your group.

Thank you! Calling the restaurant ahead of time is a great idea. There are a few restaurants we go to fairly often, so it would be easy for me to do my research before hand and come up with a few restaurants and dishes that are good for me would work well. 

Hi! I've started today also. I didn't have time to prepare that much, so some of the things I have to find out on the fly. But I already did almost four years without dairy and five without soy, so, I think I have some experience, at least with reading labels. 

I understand eating out. Some colleagues and I go out from time to time, but the restaurants near my job are pubs and BBQ. Little chance of finding compliant food. Fortunately, I think they’ll understand me passing on lunch out.

I wish you all the best on your Whole30 journey!

Archived