1/1/2013 Day 1-Confessions of a Sugar Addict

Tam

Every morning for the past year or so, I started my day with an extra hot soy chia. Somedays I would make it at home, other days Starbucks would gladly hand me my "cup of goodness." Yes, that is how my day would start.Every. Single. Day. (someimes twice a day...truth be told). The day would continue with cravings for carbs and sugar. Crazy cravings which usually would lead to a less then healthy snack or lunch...which would later lead to the the begging desperate prayer of "Please, Lord help me start tomorrow!" Well, the good news is today was the "tomorrow" I have been praying for and God has certainly given me the strength to move forward!

Let me go back to my statement: I would have a soy chia .Every. Single. Day.

That is until...today! I have officially begun to "slay the sugar demons" (yes, that is plural b/c I know there are more then one of those bad boys)! Turns out there is 43 (plu)s grams of sugar in that drink! No wonder I loved it! Can you say addicting?

Recently, my hubby and I read "It starts with Food"...I had put off reading it. Deep down I knew the book was valid and true. I knew if I read it I would soon be faced with the conviction of being a sugar addict! And so it went...guilty and convicted! Now, on this first day of 2013 the repentance has begun! Today is Day 1 and I feel good knowing I have meals in my fridge and options for the week! Honestly, I feel a little bitter sweet in saying good-bye to sugar and all of it's sneaky ways I would allow it into my life, but at the same time I look forward to having energy and feeling healthy! I am so thankful my husband has agreed to not only support me, but to join me (makes life so much easier)!

...and so it begins...me, my hubby and our adventures of the whole30....

PS-It was fun putting away the scale! :D

I started yesterday and it feels good to know that I wasn't the only one addicted to soy lattes. I did the Whole 30 back in March of 2011 and I completely gave up my daily soy latte and I saw results and never looked back at them, until recently in Dec 2012 when I started getting skinny lattes which made me sick and bloated but I am ready to start over again too! You can do it! I always tell people SUGAR is what makes you fat and that our bodies need protein and lots of veggies so that's why I think this is a great challenge.

Confession is good for the soul.... Now go and say 20 " hail coconut milks" and 10 our " congigated linolaic acids" ...... ( I don't mean to offend any Catholics .... Just being goofy) Whatever anyone's beliefs, our bodies are a temple to god and the universe and we have a responsibility to keep it healthy!

It's awesome that you realize that what the general population would consider a "healthy drink" is messing you up....

I used to drink at least 2 protein smoothies a day.... 2 scoops whey powder choc full of artificial ingredients no one can pronounce,one banana,2 cups milk,3-4 tbsp peanut butter, creatine, etc. no wonder I was chronically inflamed..... That was the anti Whole30 in a blender!!!! I used to crave that drink..... Sure it had the same value as a Dairy Queen blizzard... Probably worse!

Now I don't miss it at all and get a bit nauseated thinking about it.....

Thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement!

@Derval- And that was only breakfast! I know! I could hardly believe it, but then it made sense why my car would automatically drive to Starbucks...lol. I think my body is going through shock right now. I have been REALLY tired these first few days!

@Pedro Sierra- Glad to know I am not alone! How are you feeling? I am so excited about this life change, yet also finding it hard to balance all the planning. I know it is a change for the good! It is just going to take a couple weeks to get into a new rhythm! Keep up the good work!

@Lauren Janney Wolf- I did the same thing! Our original start date was Dec 26th...then it was the 29th...then it was Jan 1...lol! Thankful Jan 1 was the "real deal":) I don't think I realized how difficult it would be to start a life changing process in the midst of sugar-sugar and more sugar! It is great fun to be without a scale...I have the tendency to get too number focused and lose track of the real goals:) I am really interested in seeing how this all works out...what day are you on?

@El Paco- You were certainly not the only one addicted to soy lattes! It is day 4 for me today and I am still craving them BIGTIME:0( I hear it takes a little while for that feeling to go away. I find myself daydreaming about them....sick, sick,sick!!! I am in it for the long haul. I feel like I am running a marathon and I certainly don't want to go back to the "start"....sooooo here we go! I know my body will be much happier in the long run! Yeah, for you to be back for round 2!

@Dominique- Yeah! Thanks for the encouraging words...I really HOPE I will feel the difference! How long did it take you the first time to start to benefit from the results? We are on day 4! Still very tired and craving like a mad woman! I don't think I have ever eaten this much meat in my life (I was a former vegitarian, many years ago...lol)! So far, we are hanging in! How are you doing this time around?

@FenderBender- Amen! Ha!Ha! I love that your cravings are gone! That is hopeful to me!!!! How far along are you in the plan? Thanks for your humor:)

Hey Tam....

Today is day seventy five of ninety for me and almost eight months of Paleo ( no grains,beans,sugar...but I did have some dairy and didn't check ingredients so lots of soy, trace sugar,carrageenan blah blah snuck in)

When starting whole30-90 I immediately increased my fat intake and I was sated after just a few days but I was under eating prior.....

Follow the meal templates and you will be fine soon enough....IMO exercise is the best way to slay the sugar dragons in conjunction with the food you eat.... No matter what level of fitness you are at, just doing a bit more ( a brisk walk or gardening will do) will get all the great brain chemicals flowing and helps a lot....

****** One more trick is yoga breathing.... Every time you crave something sweet take 10-20 deep full slow breaths.... In thru your nose, out slower thru your mouth... Feeling the healing energy pass into any area of your body that needs help.... Concentrate only on your breath, the only thing you need at the moment is air, you are safe and healthy.... and let it nourish you..... and your cravings will pass.....

Archived