Day 30 and feel defeated :(

Today is the last day of my Whole30 and I was so disappointed for what I saw on the scale :(  I didn't lose any weight.  My biggest motivation for going on whole30 was to break through this weight loss plateau I have been on for a while.  Previously I have been on Weight Watchers off and on.  I think I followed whole30 very well.  I enjoyed the majority of the meals I ate and was proud of being able to step away from temptations many times.  I did suffer a lot with fatigue, to the point where I would be very moody and need to take naps, like my 3 year old.  Just this past Saturday I took a nap at 11am and still woke up feeling exhausted.  I noticed these days usually happened after a day that I didn't eat potatoes.  I also try to run 2-3x a week and my stamina was definitely affected as well.  What should I do now?  Do reintroduction tomorrow?  Extend my whole30?  I used Meal Plans to help with my meal planning.  Below is a typical meal plan:

Breakfast: Sweet Potato, Apple and Egg Bake

Lunch: Leftovers (Roasted Dijon Chicken w/ Roasted potatoes and a bag of sugar snap peas

Snack (sometimes): apple and almond butter and mandarin oranges, mixed nuts

Dinner: Classic Waldorf Chicken Salad w/ lettuce leaves and baked sweet potato with olive oil

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

• Administrators

Hi @chirosy - it's hard to say the way you have your meals listed but I suspect you might not have been eating enough or you were relying on fruits/nut butters to get you through? Fatigue, mood swings etc are a pretty common indicator of under-eating. As far as weight loss goes, is it possible that your body is at a healthy weight and although you would like it to lose weight, it doesn't really need to lose?

I have really been enjoying my meals b/c of the addition of fats - I love ghee and have been adding it to almost every meal.  I also don't eat nuts or almond butter often - only if I'm hungry between meals, which wasn't very often.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, chirosy said:

I also have been trying to lose 10 pounds to get to my pre pregnancy weight.

With all due respect and all the love because MAN is body-image and weight a life-long issue..............if you are eating to satisfaction all whole foods, you might want to chalk those 10# up to aging and the fact that human bodies never remain the same.  I get wanting to "get back there" because I'm doing/feeling the same way, but sometimes "Back There" no longer exists. It's been blown off the map and there is no "there" there. I know that's rough and sometimes needs some revision of our own beliefs and mental dialogue. 

Can you list out what you've been eating again but with the portion sizes as they relate to the template so that we can see if there is a cause to your fatigue? Do you include pre and post workout food on exercise days?

Thank you for your response!

Breakfast: Sweet Potato, Apple and Egg Bake (1-2 egg, .5 apple, .5 sweet potato, .25 cups of coconut milk)

Lunch: Leftovers Roasted Dijon Chicken w/ Roasted potatoes and a bag of sugar snap peas (3 legs of chicken, 1/2 tbs of bacon fat), 1/2 lbs of potato and 1 tbs butter, 1 cup of snap peas)

Snack (sometimes - only about 2x a week): apple and almond butter (2 tbs) and mandarin oranges, mixed nuts

Dinner: Classic Waldorf Chicken Salad w/ lettuce leaves (1 cup of chicken, 3 tbs of whole30 mayo, 2 tbs walnuts) and baked sweet potato with olive oil (1 cup of cubed potatoes with 2 tbs of oil)

The above is approximated portion sizes as I usually cook all for my family and portion it out for me.  I generally have a problem of eating past feeling full and I'm wondering if I need to focus more on portion control.

Regards to eating before and after workouts, I usually run in the mornings and don't eat before and eat breakfast afterwards.

Thanks again for your help!

• Administrators

This looks pretty good as far as I can tell although your breakfast is slightly protein short as eggs would be 3-4 for one person. Most days are you making it 4-5 hours between meals and then feeling hungry when it's time to eat? 

See if you feel better by removing the starches from your first two meals and replace it with non starchy veg. Starches can be sort of "sedative" like so that's why we encourage people to start with one fist sized amount at their third meal. 

If you are going to eat between meals, go for a protein + fat or protein + veggie combo rather than fruits and fruit/nut combos. 

• Administrators

It sort of depends what you want to get out of reintro. If you want to dig in and make some changes and see if you can get some better energy, then yes, I would delay the reintro. If you would rather see how certain foods affect you and then go from there to see if you can make some upward strides, you can do that too.

Normally we recommend prolonging for anyone who has chronic or auto-immune conditions if they didn't see the improvements they were hoping for and we'll also recommend prolonging for people who are still having digestive issues or skin issues because those symptoms can cloud reintro.

It's up to you but if you're not really hating life right now on Whole30 I would probably add 10 days and make some of these tweaks and see if you find any improvement.

Archived