Anna's Adventure in Whole30 (personal log)

AnnaBeauregard

My PRE-Whole30 self assessment:

Eating whole food won't be a challenge at all, because we made that switch years ago. The challenge will be to do so exclusively; we've recently started allowing ourselves more roadside stops "because we don't have time" and more sweet treats "because it's a party, after all." GRAINS: Gluten issues run in my hubby's family; he's sensitive, his mother and our daughter are both biopsied positive Celiac. No grains is easy.  DAIRY: that's going to be hard for him, not quite as hard for me, as I've noticed I feel so yucky afterward, anyway. SUGAR: likely a challenge, though I hope not too much; I don't even have processed sugar in my house, though I will probably miss that teeny touch of local honey in my tea. ALCOHOL: I don't think this will be a problem physically, but socially, I hope that my friends will all be super supportive and not offer. LOL.

Official start date - 5/14. Let's roll!

I thought that setting a date in the near future, and then preparing myself mentally to do this, was a good idea.  Now I'm not so sure.  I've been a good and relatively healthy eater for many years.  I have had a few times over the decades where this was not the case, but mostly, it was healthy.

I set the date for this, and BOOM!  Suddenly I am craving (and giving in to) all sorts of junk!  What on earth has happened??  It's as if the moment I flipped that commitment switch inside my head, my body started screaming "aw, h3ll no!"  It's crazy.  Just a few days ago, I was all fired up to do this.  I was genuinely excited.  Today, I'm actually nervous, realizing that this is going to be more of a challenge than I had anticipated.  Can I do this?  I mean, faithfully, successfully complete the entire 30 days??

And I'm really grumpy today.  I haven't been this grumpy in months, maybe years.  (I'm sure it has nuuuuuuthing to do with the nasty food-like substances I've allowed myself the past 3 days, as a "last hurrah" before the program... nah, nothing at all to do with that... ugh.)

It's DAY ONE!!  Made some tea last night, in case I want something other than water.  About to put food into the crock pot for dinner tonight.  I have the right foods to handle the day, but I am not yet convinced that I have the right mood to handle the day.  I've been sick since Saturday, having eaten some bad food.  We both got sick from it.  My first instinct is to reach for the crackers and ginger ale, neither of which are compliant.  The quitter part says to wait until I'm feeling completely better, but dang, it's the food (generally speaking) that is making me feel so yucky on a regular basis, so NO!  It's DAY ONE!!

Day 1: I woke up ready to tackle this challenge.  Compliant foods were prepped and packed.  By 10am, however, my body was screaming for sugar and "cookie carbs" (as I am going to call them) and my excitement about this tanked.  That said, though literally surrounded by tempting opportunities to fail, I still managed to make it successfully through the day without giving in.  Yay, but I wasn't expecting it to be this much a challenge on only day one... 

Day 2: Up and at 'em!  I made sure to have leftovers after dinner last night, so that today's eats would require less stress and energy.  I figure that anything I can do to make this less complicated is a good thing, right??  I have leftovers from yesterday's lunch as well, so with minimal effort, I have plenty of healthy eats to take along today, to embolden me against the cravings that are sure to emerge when I am surrounded by all the same "food-like substances" as yesterday.  Here's to another healthier day!

End of Day 2: Eating well went well today, and I ate a good amount of food, but dang!  I'm so "hungry!"  My body is screaming for sugar and cookie carbs, and it is LOUD!  I also had several bouts of aggravation to work through; took some genuine effort to keep reminding myself that it was all in my head (my body) and just work through it.  Two times today were especially hungry.  At 9:30, I ended up taking a slow two mile walk just to get away from the temptation.  That was perfect.  Again at about 3pm, I thought it was too much... too hard... but I turned my focus on my grand daughters and pushed through the wall.  This evening, I distracted myself with going to the grocery store for a variety of fresh fruits.  Looking forward to thinking about ANYTHING other than food for longer than twenty minutes.  LOL

Morning Day 3: Rough night of insomnia, so at 5am, my energy is already low.  Sure hope the metabolism switch flips today, that's certain!  Packing lunch/food for the day has already made them less stressful, for both me and hubs, so that's the first big win I will own in this adventure.   Body is feeling a little more sore than normal, which is aggravating, but I can't blame the food, because that comes and goes anyway.  One of my hopes is that once the body trusts that incoming sustenance is actually nourishing, some relief from this soreness will result.  I'm certainly hopeful.  Well, I'm off to own this day!!

End of Day 3: UGH!  What a rollercoaster of a day this has been!  This day has been pretty close to hell on earth.  I swear, my mood and my hunger level and my confidence were all over the board today, and it is driving me crazy.  I got to take a good three hour rest break, and most of it I spent sleeping.  Woke up starving... like Survivor day 28 starving!  I didn't pack enough food today, and what I packed clearly didn't give me enough energy.  And that fruit I bought last night?  I. Am. Sick. Of. Fruit.  That's probably a good thing, though, so it's whatever.  After an intense confidence drain, I vented to my Love, put myself back together, and then ate a freshly boiled egg.  A sudden calm washed over me, and I was good and stable and satisfied for the first time all day.  I came home to find a hot-off-the-grill grass-fed New York strip and salad waiting for me.  He loves me.  I'm so glad I did not give up today.  Surprised I didn't give up today... but so glad.  10% complete.

Morning Day 4: Both my hubby and myself had trouble falling asleep last night.  We've both developed a congested cough which kept us awake for hours.  Neither of us are fevered, and he says he feels fine otherwise.  I feel pretty nasty, though.  I'm going to keep my focus on this today-

1. If it's a bug, the good food will help heal me. 

2. If it's a detox effect, the good food will help heal me.

End of Day 4: I’ve got a serious case of the Dontwannas today. I don’t wanna do anything, and I don’t wanna wanna. 

Grumpy, too. 

But my meals and snacks were all compliant, so the day was a win.

On a good note, however, my hands and wrists are no longer swollen. Funny. I didn’t know that they really were swollen. 

Archived