Starting Over

Alrighty, I'm ready to start again. I was a little over two weeks into my W30 in March when I went on vacation with my family to CA. I actually didn't eat horrendously...especially considering we ate all of our meals out and spent 4 days at theme parks, but I didn't eat on-plan either. And, since I originally started the W30 to feel better, it is no surprise that after eating almost whatever I want over the last two months I still don't feel great. 

This week, however, I've felt especially bad so while I was trudging down the street today....too tired to walk the mile into the center of town and getting kind of pissy about it, I had a come-to-Jesus meeting with myself. I'm really, really over feeling like crap, so I made a new plan.

About 3.5 years ago, I had a thyroidectomy and radiation treatment for thyroid cancer. These two events damaged so many processes in my body. I still think my thyroid hormone replacement dosage isn't right, but the bigger issue is that the radiation treatment destroyed my gut. In the year after the treatment, I barely left the bed/couch/house because I was so sick from malnourishment due to gut malabsorption. Also, I was diagnosed with early onset osteoarthritis in my hands (I'm 43....). Fast forward a few years....I've learned A LOT and figured a lot out about my body, but my gut is still not 100% and I am still so tired. Even though my gut has healed a lot in the last few years, it still really dislikes grains, dairy, and legumes, so I actually don't eat them daily. When I do, however, (especially if I eat them for several days in a row), the effects on my body are bad and long-lasting. And my knuckle of my ring finger on my left hand is sore every day. So, it's important to fix two things (at a minimum): 1) my gut needs to be healed so it can grab all the wonderful nutrients, fats, proteins, and carbs, and make me feel better, and 2) my hormone dosage needs to be dialed in. It makes sense to fix my gut first so I don't have to recalibrate my dosage after my gut starts doing its entire job, so here I go.

I start tomorrow!

Day 1

B - Coffee with almond milk, veggie scramble with onion and red bell pepper, salsa, avocado, banana
L - Tuna salad made with avocado, sliced cucumber
S - Roasted sweet potatoes
D - Chicken breast with olive oil and lime, olives, roasted cumin carrots

Day 1 went well! I didn't make it to the grocery store, so had to make it work with what I had. I meant for the sweet potatoes to be part of lunch, but I was so full after eating the tuna, I couldn't do the potatoes and ended up eating them a couple hours later.

I did the T25 total body cardio workout, but I still felt weak from whatever was wrong with me this week, so I modified even more than usual. Otherwise, I worked on my thesis for most of the day, so had a pretty inactive day. Even so, I could have taken a nap this afternoon...and I never take naps! Talked with one of my neighbors on the roof last night for a while with a sparkling water with lime in hand, and it was just as pleasant as if I'd been drinking a glass of wine.

Day 2

B - Coffee with almond milk, veggie scramble with onion and red bell pepper, salsa, avocado, (strawberries my neighbor brought me)
L - Egg salad (w/avocado), steamed chayote squash w/ olive oil
PWO - Banana
D - Lime cilantro chicken, ginger carrot soup, avocado

Finally, today, felt my regular tiredness....not the extra, extra tired I'd felt last week. Did T25 Lower Focus workout and it was manageable. Also, finally made it to the grocery store, so I cooked a little bit.  

(I just edited this to add the links to the chicken and soup recipes because both were delicious!)

Day 3

Pre WO - Coffee with almond milk, banana, hard boiled egg
B - Chicken breast, sautéed tomatoes and chayote squash, extra olive oil
L - Chicken breast, carrot ginger soup, canned coconut milk
S - Apple
D - Ground beef, tomatoes, guac

Today was a bit of a struggle. First, all I wanted ALL DAY was snacks. I wasn't even hungry....I checked. I just wanted something in my mouth to chew on. I did eat an apple in the late afternoon - partially to shut up this snack monster and partially because I had a dentist appointment at 6pm and wasn't going to eat dinner until after.

Then, I went to the dentist and was swindled. Yes, swindled! I got home and my mouth was achy and I was upset and all I wanted in the world was a glass of wine. I am actually not pleased by how much I felt I "needed" a glass of wine. Once I'd convinced myself I wasn't going to have any wine, I switched to "needing" sugar. Fortunately, the only fruit in my whole house was one banana (which I needed to save to eat before my workout the next morning). I'd intended on having a taco salad, but my mouth wasn't up to chewing lots of raw veggies, so I pretty much had probably a bit too much ground beef, a lot of tomatoes, and a LOT of guac. It turns out, in lieu of wine or dessert, guac was my comfort food last night. Not my prettiest day ever.

Day 4

Pre WO - Coffee with almond milk, banana, hard boiled egg
B - Chicken breast, ginger carrot soup, canned coconut milk
L - Fried eggs, guac, roasted sweet potatoes
S - Jicama
D - Ground beef fajitas, guac

Today was good. I emailed my dentist first thing and said what I needed to say. He was trying to gyp me, but since I called him out on it, he's going to make things right. Did T25 Speed 1.0 for my workout. I dislike strongly working out in the morning...or at least I have in the past. But now I don't really have the energy at the end of the day to workout in the evening. So, this week I'm testing out working out in the morning after a little snack. So far it's been great! I mean, it's only been two days, but I've liked getting the most energy intensive thing out of the way first thing.

Had a snack of jicama at about 6pm....not because I really needed it, but I wanted to go up on the roof and read while the sun was setting and I hadn't even started making dinner yet. This means I ended up eating a pretty robust dinner at about 9:30pm. :o I felt better today than yesterday!

Day 5

Pre WO - Coffee with almond milk, hard boiled egg, roasted sweet potatoes
B - Chicken breast, sautéed fajita veggies, guac, sliced jicama
L - Fried eggs, roasted curry zucchini, jicama, guac
D - Chicken breast (with lemon!), oven roasted potatoes, extra olive oil

Today was good too! Ate leftovers pretty much all day. Did T25 Total Body Circuit workout. When I first started the workout, my legs felt a little shaky, but this ended up not sticking around and I even modified a bit less than last time. Walked to the market to get more veggies and my normal vegetable lady had lemons!! I've lived here for 16 months and not once have I been able to find lemons anywhere. Limes up the wazoo, but no lemons. I've missed them terribly and was seriously almost giddy when I got home and unpacked them from my bag. I had several glasses of lemon water, plus lemon on my chicken last night. YAY. 

Day 6

Pre WO - Coffee with almond milk, hard boiled egg, roasted potatoes
B - Ground beef, tomatoes, guac, papaya
L - Egg salad with avocado, papaya
D - Jicama, olives :(

Did not feel well today. My stomach was super unhappy in the a.m. and I was SO tired all day. I didn't feel like eating and I definitely didn't feel like cooking. Ate what I had around, but made no effort to cook anything new....including cooking some vegetables to go with my meals. Worked out, but was sluggish and didn't enjoy it.

Day 7

B - Ground beef, zucchini, extra olive oil
L - Egg salad with avocado, steamed carrots with olive oil
S - Cashews
D - Baked white fish, steamed sweet potato, olive oil

My stomach was a mess this morning....probably because I ate nothing except papaya, jicama, and olives for the entire 2nd half of yesterday. Plus my joint in my hand that acts up when my body is inflamed was more sore than it's been probably ever, but definitely in months. Usually I know what I've eaten the day before to piss it off, but this time I'm not sure.

My meals the last few days have not been delicious. I've just been cobbling together whatever I have in the fridge. I decided to make a better effort to cook and enjoy my food. Plus I need more variety in my vegetables. I've been aiming for 2 cups of veggies at each meal, but almost always that's 2 cups of the same veggie. It wouldn't be hard to have more than one veggie per meal. So, I went to the grocery store. They were completely out of salmon, so I bought a giant package of mystery white fish. It looks kind of like red snapper raw. Baked a piece for dinner and it was good! Bought the stuff to make mango salsa to eat with the rest of it.

Archived