How do you deal with telling people you’re ona weird diet?!

MissHLG

I ate smoked turkey from the bbq joint 4 rivers tonight. They said they don’t use butter or sugar, but I still feel like I did something bad

Also, my friend took me to 4 rivers for my first time there because it is his favorite place to eat, he wanted me to try it, he was buying and was talking up how great the food was. And I had to sit there in front of all the servers and him and only order smoked turkey with no sides! My little tray looked so sad, the employees at 4 rivers think I’m high maintenance and my friend was nice about it but I feel so bad... TELL ME ITS WORTH IT!

• Moderators

There are definitely easier and more difficult restaurants to eat out at when you're on Whole30.  I don't think it really matters if some employees at a restaurant think you're 'high maintenance' altho I doubt they do, you can't be the first person to ever eat there that has dietary restrictions.

As far as the title of your thread, it's not really a 'weird diet'.  This is an elimination protocol designed to help you judge how typically inflammatory foods affect your body in your context.  If anyone asks you, you can tell them exactly that or a variation... depending on how close of friends you are, you can get into the reasons why you're doing the program or you can just brush it off as an experiment of one that you're committed to for 30 days.  Nothing really to feel bad about since you're doing this for your own health (assumably that's why you chose to start a Whole30?)

For an article written by Melissa about talking to your friends and family, google 'whole30 friends and family' and you should get at least that article if not some forum threads about how others have broached the subject with their close ones.

Thank you! I don’t know why it feels weird telling people. Like they’d judge me or something for being healthy.  But a lot of times, when you tell people you’re on a diet they say- oh come on, this one time won’t hurt!

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, MissHLG said:

Thank you! I don’t know why it feels weird telling people. Like they’d judge me or something for being healthy.  But a lot of times, when you tell people you’re on a diet they say- oh come on, this one time won’t hurt!

Oh I totally get that people are going to say stuff like that... but when you put it in the context of 'it's 30 days or nothing and I really want to be successful so thanks for your support' only an ass would try and sway you from your choice. ;)  And yes, there are asses out there... sometimes the Whole30 teaches us about others as much as it does about ourselves.  Own your choice sister!

Archived