Inflammatory Arthritis Flare

I am on Day 12 of my first Whole30, and unfortunately on Day 3 of an inflammatory arthritis flare. The arthritis is an extraintestinal complication of Crohn’s Disease that cause pain in all joints, especially small ones like fingers, wrists, toes and feet.  I saw my rheumatologist this week, and he said, based on my symptoms, I’m also experiencing bursitis in my knees for the first time. (Fortunately, the Crohn’s isn’t flaring, which was my bigger concern when starting this.) I’ve read that chronic conditions might flare early in the Whole30, but I’m frustrated because one of the reasons I wanted to do this is to reduce inflammation.  Now I have even more and have to start taking prednisone again, which causes horrible side effects. I’m also frustrated because I am starting to get more energy and want to do more things, but I hurt too bad to do them. Even typing this is painful.

Just looking for some thoughts on why this may have happened and any advice on things to do differently. 

• Moderators

Sometimes inflammatory conditions can get worse before they get better... I"m no scientist but my suspicion is that the detox from removing the inflammatory food allows those inflammation markers to whack back into your blood stream on their way out.  I don't think that going off Whole30 and going back to eating commonly inflammatory foods is going to reduce the flare by any means and you can't just stop eating so it's not going to be detrimental to keep eating whole foods while this occurs.  you could list out a few days of your meals for us and we can see if there's a higher than usual load of histamines or FODMAPS or nightshades that could be contributing... sorry you're not feeling well, that stinks :( 

On 5/12/2018 at 7:50 AM, Kshbennett said:

I am on Day 12 of my first Whole30, and unfortunately on Day 3 of an inflammatory arthritis flare. The arthritis is an extraintestinal complication of Crohn’s Disease that cause pain in all joints, especially small ones like fingers, wrists, toes and feet.  I saw my rheumatologist this week, and he said, based on my symptoms, I’m also experiencing bursitis in my knees for the first time. (Fortunately, the Crohn’s isn’t flaring, which was my bigger concern when starting this.) I’ve read that chronic conditions might flare early in the Whole30, but I’m frustrated because one of the reasons I wanted to do this is to reduce inflammation.  Now I have even more and have to start taking prednisone again, which causes horrible side effects. I’m also frustrated because I am starting to get more energy and want to do more things, but I hurt too bad to do them. Even typing this is painful.

Just looking for some thoughts on why this may have happened and any advice on things to do differently. 

Have you tried Diatamacious Earth? It can help treat arthritis naturally by reducing inflammation in the joints, increasing the production of collagen to lubricate joints, and rejuvenating the elasticity of tissues to restore the natural flexibility in the joints. It can also help remove toxins out of the body faster!

Archived