Starting Whole30 5/14/2018

TheJustinB

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in!  Day 1 and it's goin pretty good so far.. (okay.. only lunchtime in Iceland but still).  
Still ahead, hot yoga and cooking for the family (who are in.. just not all the way in).

Is this your first round?  

You've so got this!

This is my second official whole30. I started today as well. My first day hasn't been quite as simple as I was hoping because I'm trying to figure out meal timing with my work and commuting schedule, but I'll get there. Also, my avocado was PAINFULLY unripe at lunch so i wasn't able to eat all of it. I tried though... haha.

I already have a headache because I don't like coffee without all the sweet stuff, so no coffee for me, and no diet coke. So...I'm just gonna be dying all week, but I know it gets better!

4 hours ago, Noémi said:

I have started yesterday, but still it would be nice to have some company. I feel a lot of things right now...This is my first shot at whole30.

It seems like support is really beneficial in this plan. The forum had been helpful. I hope you find the support you need @Noémi.

10 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

This is my second official whole30. I started today as well. My first day hasn't been quite as simple as I was hoping because I'm trying to figure out meal timing with my work and commuting schedule, but I'll get there. Also, my avocado was PAINFULLY unripe at lunch so i wasn't able to eat all of it. I tried though... haha.

I already have a headache because I don't like coffee without all the sweet stuff, so no coffee for me, and no diet coke. So...I'm just gonna be dying all week, but I know it gets better!

I understand the caffeine headache!!  I'm going to try weaning myself off using "No-doze" type pills.  I think one is the same as a cup of coffee, so I'll gradually cut them in half and in half etc.

I still drink coffee, but I am not so sure it’s good for me. But it’s a way for me, to be with my children when they’re eating at the bakery or having ice cream. We have both shops in front of our house. 

It’s my third day, and it’s not so comfortable. Eating is nice, I love the food, just the other “things”. It’s hard to be in my body right now. My guts are NOT happy. 

This is my 4th round of W30. Still feels like the first time :).  But I now know that for me the first 2 weeks are tougher than the rest (I tend to taste everything when I'm cooking so now I have to think and stop myself before tasing.

Baking for the fam. is a tough act when doing W30 so I try to be away from home when they eat baked goods.

I got the caffeine headache in full force on day one so here's to hoping that day 2 will feel a little better.

1 hour ago, Noémi said:

I still drink coffee, but I am not so sure it’s good for me. But it’s a way for me, to be with my children when they’re eating at the bakery or having ice cream. We have both shops in front of our house. 

It’s my third day, and it’s not so comfortable. Eating is nice, I love the food, just the other “things”. It’s hard to be in my body right now. My guts are NOT happy. 

Hang in there Noémi!  Day 3 is still a hangover day. 

48 minutes ago, Noémi said:

Thanks, my stomach is in a full force rebellion. And right now I hate myself for starting it and pat myself on the back at the same time :huh:

Do you know if it is something you ate or drank or is it because you're clearing up your usual diet and not eating something?

This may be helpful: 

https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/    (Timeline of what to expect)

https://whole30.com/2016/06/is-this-normal/

I think it’s the clearing up part. At least it feels that way. I am not sure if it’s ok for me to eat nightshades in the long run, but I want to finish 30 days with the original rules, before ruleing out other groups. Thanks for the links, I have only read the one from the book. 

@Noémi Gut issues are one of the reasons I am doing the whole30, but my body seems to be having issues clearing up too, so I'm right there with you. It's no fun. I'll most likely test out ruling out nightshades eventually as well just to see if there's something else I'm sensitive to.

My caffeine headache turned into a full blown migraine pretty quickly and lingered all day yesterday. Now I'm just sooooo sleepy. Like I feel like I could fall asleep while walking. This is when I really start wanting to force coffee on myself, but I really do hate the taste haha. I feel like I'm more prepared for my meals today. My work schedule makes my eating times weird so I'm just having to adjust.

On 5/16/2018 at 3:11 PM, ldmcniel said:

@Noémi Gut issues are one of the reasons I am doing the whole30, but my body seems to be having issues clearing up too, so I'm right there with you. It's no fun. I'll most likely test out ruling out nightshades eventually as well just to see if there's something else I'm sensitive to.

My caffeine headache turned into a full blown migraine pretty quickly and lingered all day yesterday. Now I'm just sooooo sleepy. Like I feel like I could fall asleep while walking. This is when I really start wanting to force coffee on myself, but I really do hate the taste haha. I feel like I'm more prepared for my meals today. My work schedule makes my eating times weird so I'm just having to adjust.

I had a headache all day today, and this is my fifth. I am always thirsty. It's funny actually, before I could not feel that. I am drinking coffee in social situations, but it is better for my stomach actually. It's interesting, because I usually drink it without dairy (with almond milk or rice milk). It gets me thinking...The worst part is that I am depressed now, and I don't know, if it's the excessive amount of todos I have or the diet. :( We are leaving for a family weekend tomorrow. I try to cook everything, but I think there will be restaurant sometime, so I am a little bit afraid.

I dreamt that I accidentaly ate a tiny bit of baked something...It was so bad :huh:

4 hours ago, Noémi said:

I had a headache all day today, and this is my fifth. I am always thirsty. It's funny actually, before I could not feel that. I am drinking coffee in social situations, but it is better for my stomach actually. It's interesting, because I usually drink it without dairy (with almond milk or rice milk). It gets me thinking...The worst part is that I am depressed now, and I don't know, if it's the excessive amount of todos I have or the diet. :( We are leaving for a family weekend tomorrow. I try to cook everything, but I think there will be restaurant sometime, so I am a little bit afraid.

I dreamt that I accidentaly ate a tiny bit of baked something...It was so bad :huh:

I hear you!!   The first time I tried whole 30, the depression was the absolute worst part.  What I realized was that I had been using sugar, etc, as a drug to mask depression and when I went off of all that, the depression hit me full bore.  I read a book called The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross, which strongly recommends a diet basically the same as Whole 30, so that helps to know we're on the right track!  It explains how proteins, and the right kinds of fats and carbs help produce neurotransmitters in the brain.   It also recommends various supplements including specific amino acids which have helped me quite noticeably and got me through the worst part of changing my diet.  You might be able to find some things online besides in the book.  Hang in there!  It's all about changing RELATIONSHIP with food -- that's my biggest thing I'm still working on.  

I've been thirsty too, and a little depressed, and I slept 12 hours night before last and am incredibly stiff and sore today.   I expected the depression and the tiredness, but I don't know about the stiffness.  

Have fun on your vacation and don't give in in restaurants!  Most of them are getting really used to accommodating various diets.  I've even taken in my own dressing and ordered a salad. :o

15 hours ago, Noémi said:

I was reeeeeally thirsty the first time I did the whole30 and was told to make sure I'm putting enough salt on my food. If you're coming from a mostly processed diet, which I was and am, then your sodium intake is going to drastically decrease with this new diet. Adding salt to your food when you cook and before you eat it, helps your body adjust a little easier.

23 hours ago, CaseyP said:

That's great!  I'm not feeling as hungry either.  But every inch of my body hurts.  Hope it's better by tomorrow.  

I am sorry it hurts. yesterday we were in a restaurant. I was afraid they will ruin my first week, and I was so afraid, I almost couldn’t enjoy the meal :wacko: It’s stressful for me. I called beforehand, and I couldn’t explain properly what is the diet, so I think I need more practice on that :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Noémi said:

I am sorry it hurts. yesterday we were in a restaurant. I was afraid they will ruin my first week, and I was so afraid, I almost couldn’t enjoy the meal :wacko: It’s stressful for me. I called beforehand, and I couldn’t explain properly what is the diet, so I think I need more practice on that :rolleyes:

I am a little better today and even feel a little like exercising... did some stretches.  Today the crazy cravings hit.  Even things I don't normally even like - like beer and espresso!  I realized it's just my body panicking and it will get better.  

So, how did you do in the restaurant?  You did get something you could eat? I'm sorry it stressed you out so much!    I'd say if you did your best, that's good, and even a non-scale victory!:D:)B)

Archived