Starting Whole30 5/14/2018

TheJustinB

9 hours ago, CaseyP said:

Hey, @ldmcniel , are you still with us???:ph34r::wub:B)

I'm still here. Technically I've started over though because we were travelling this weekend, and it honestly wasn't worth the stress of trying to make sure I had every single food item be compliant. I followed the program as much as I could, and I started over yesterday. I'm 100% okay with it though because it made for an easier weekend, and I'm showing myself that I can maintain this lifestyle. So, I'm on day 2 again and will wait at least the full 30 days to do a reintroduction. Right now I'm just a little drained. I'm not sure if that's related to this weekend or just not getting enough sleep. I'm still sleeping great, much better than I was. Some of my stiffness and swelling came back this weekend but was gone by the end of the day yesterday. I'm really looking forward to getting more and more out of this by the end of June. :) 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

I'm still here. Technically I've started over though because we were travelling this weekend, and it honestly wasn't worth the stress of trying to make sure I had every single food item be compliant. I followed the program as much as I could, and I started over yesterday. I'm 100% okay with it though because it made for an easier weekend, and I'm showing myself that I can maintain this lifestyle. So, I'm on day 2 again and will wait at least the full 30 days to do a reintroduction. Right now I'm just a little drained. I'm not sure if that's related to this weekend or just not getting enough sleep. I'm still sleeping great, much better than I was. Some of my stiffness and swelling came back this weekend but was gone by the end of the day yesterday. I'm really looking forward to getting more and more out of this by the end of June. :) 

That's great! sounds like you were following Food Freedom and still making the best choices possible.  Welcome back.

19 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

Practically, I am jealous. I spent so much time stressing on loosing weight, I cannot not stress on food. I hope to change that eventually. So good for you! Hope it goes well!

8 hours ago, Noémi said:

Practically, I am jealous. I spent so much time stressing on loosing weight, I cannot not stress on food. I hope to change that eventually. So good for you! Hope it goes well!

Noemi, you should be so proud of yourself for staying compliant on your weekend away!!!! That's a NSV that will translate into less stress the further you go on this journey!  

As for me, I am still eating compliant foods but in such ridiculous portions and times that it's hardly still the program.  But I"m going to keep plowing through.  Yesterday I noticed that I felt less clumsy and uncoordinated doing certain tasks, I had recovered from a long hike on Monday faster than expected, and my irritation level was down. Perfectly timed NSVs - without them I think I might have quit yesterday.  Right about now has always been the hardest time for me in the past and the time I usually do quit, so I want to get back to bigger meals with more veggies - I think I need to carve out longer times for meal prep.  I want to make this a lifestyle, not just a healthy detour.:o

Thanks! My day was very similar, I am struggling too! I ate salad and meat for lunch and dinner, and I am not even hungry. But I know it is a recipe for disaster. I have to eat more complex foods. I am also craving everything my children eat. Hope to be over this soon. 

I’ve solved my “limonade-problem” I made strawberry-cucumber water. It is quite nice actually. 

9 hours ago, Noémi said:

Thanks! My day was very similar, I am struggling too! I ate salad and meat for lunch and dinner, and I am not even hungry. But I know it is a recipe for disaster. I have to eat more complex foods. I am also craving everything my children eat. Hope to be over this soon. 

I’ve solved my “limonade-problem” I made strawberry-cucumber water. It is quite nice actually. 

Strawberry-cucumber water!  I'll have to try that ;)

I hadn't been in a restaurant yet this time around and didn't realize how hard it is.  Ended up with a burger with avocado and no bun and a side salad. It was okay I guess.  Night before that I made Mel Joulwan's Moroccan meatballs and Moroccan cauli-rice.  That was delish.  

NSVs- I'm hookng my bra strap at the shortest hook and the T shirt I put on today hangs much more nicely.   

Wow, that's two NSVs for you ;)

I had a "motivation" shirt, and it fits nicely now. And I have to adjust all my bellydance clothes :rolleyes: It's nice :) Still i am beginning the mantra, that it doesn't matter what the scales says I am better, and smaller. I am actually afraid to step on it next week.

That's great!  Way to go - and not just with the smaller size but also on the mantra.

I  did not weigh myself before I started, though I have a general idea where I was, scales-wise.  I haven't decided if I'm going to weigh on day 31 or not.  Last time I did this, the scales didn't reflect how good I felt and it kind of detracted from my sense of accomplishment at the end, so I might just go by clothes size - ( or I might just get too curious and weigh anyway.  lol :rolleyes:)

I know I can't stop myself from looking. But I think I will put away the scales for a long time after that. It gives me a sense of closure to weigh in after. But I would like to continue as close as I can to the diet until I am at my ideal weight, and I won't be measuring myself, just in the clothes I wear. 

I know it is still not the and, but I am very grateful for this diet for the fruits. When you have insulin problems, they say, that you cannot eat fruits, at least not too much, and only in the afternoon. So I mostly stopped eating them, but now I can eat without problems, frustration and feeling guilty. So yay and thanks for that!

Well, I was not sure it was messing up my blood sugar in the first place. Except bananas, I was not well after them. But it doesn't matter anymore. :) I am counting back the days. I decided I will do a reintroduction after 15th June, so when we are on holiday, I don't have to will through all the meals when we are out. And I will start again in September...

Yay! I've been feeling it somewhat too.  It feels like a burden is lifted off my body I guess because of ready ed inflammation etc. 

I will probably reintroduce oatmeal and rice after the 15th.  I think can handle them.  And I'd like to be able to test out my "relationship" with chocolate. ;) But if it gets out of hand I will go back.  I know I will leave out dairy and most grains indefinitely. 

That sounds good! The thing is, I want to keep loosing weight, so I will be keeping as close to the diet as possible. Just I don't want to be anxious if we go to a restaurant or a friend's house. It is still very stressful for me, anyway.

Wohoo!!  Good job!  I wonder what you will reintroduce first? Or are you going to keep going?

I came so close to stopping my car, going into a convenience store and buying a Coke the other day.  I couldn't believe it!  I haven't even craved it weeks.  It was 100% emotional.   But I managed to drive on by!!!!!   My day 30 will be the day after tomorrow, but I have to confess I've made quite a few blunders (not Coke, thank goodness) so I don't know that I can celebrate a true whole 30 but I can sure celebrate doing 100 times better with my food choices than I did before.  I want to keep going pretty close to the plan, but, like you said, not stressing out about perfection with sauces or whatever when I'm out.  

I don't know, really. Part of me wants the reintroduction, so if I have a momentarily relapse, I won't feel guilty. Part of me wants to continue and loose more weight. (The funny thing is, these can be both true :D ). Anyway. Until my blood test I will do the strict version of the diet, then I'll see. I lost almost 9 lbs, so I am happy, but I have 80 more to go..(Yes, of course, the first thing I reintroduced is the scale :D:D ) I would like to keep up. And the stress is also too much right now, so I am missing on the tiger blood part.

Good job on making better food choices! I think that is the final goal ;)

Congratulations on 9 pounds!!  And congratulations on the strict discipline you've had for a whole month!!!!!

I think the point of reintroductions is to find out what we CAN eat without technically "going off" the diet or feeling guilty, because everybody's body is different in what we can handle.  Just one thing (whole food, probably doesn't really include junk and processed food) at a time to find out what does or doesn't take us out of the better feeling that we've gained.  I think I'm going to take a one-or two day break and get back on with better discipline about making meals ahead.  I've got about 60 pounds to lose so I need so this needs to stay more of a lifestyle for me too.  

Hi, My first post on here.  To all who began counting on 5/14 (which includes ME), CONGRATS on completing 30 days of W30!  Woohoo! I didn't think I would make it this far and am so pleased I did.  I am planning to continue on, at least for another 30 or so days and then take inventory of where I want to go from there. I initially took 2 W30 books out of the library--the initial one and then the W30 Cookbook one--as I thought this was going to be a temporary thing.  Now I am looking to purchase the 2 books instead, to make them my own.  I really like a lot of the recipes in the books, even though they are time consuming. I took the suggestion in the book and make more than I need for a given meal in order to have leftovers for an additional meal, which helps with the time factor.  Interesting the things I find I miss--I thought for sure chocolate would be at the top of the list as it was one of the 4 food groups in my family growing up!  But no, I've not missed it at all!  What I have missed is 1) peanut butter (the commercial, sugar added kind like Jiff or Skippy) and 2) the muffins I used to make with almond and coconut flour--I miss the consistency of a bread product they provided.  I've lost 9.5 pounds as of today (sorry, couldn't resist weighing myself this morning), I have seen a slight improvement in my eczema, I have way more energy, I think more clearly and I have just a general sense of well-being (which is priceless).  Thank you, W30! 

Hi @NoreenM62  Congrats on your completion and your 9.5 lbs!  I'm glad to know there are some others who are interested in continuing on.  I think it's going to solidify the habit changes and continue to heal the gut and inflammation issues even more.  

I checked out Mel Joulwan's cookbook, Well Fed, from the Library during my first Whole 30 and loved it so much I purchased my own as well.  I want to get Well Fed 2 also. I'm not really a cookbook person at all, so that's saying a lot!   Her tips are so easy. I haven't checked out the official Whole 30 one.  Come to think about it, I haven't really craved chocolate that much either, though for some reason my cravings are creeping up again as I've neared the end.  I've been a little sloppy about sauces and snacky food lately so that's probably why.  I do plan to keep to the general rules of whole 30 for the rest of the summer, if not the rest of my life, so I'll keep posting on this thread.

Hi, @NoreenM62 ! Good for you!

I think, it would be nice, to keep as close to the plan, as possible. I realized I have a cooking class in the beginning of July (its gluten free breakfasts), so I have to reintroduce some things until then, but I will try to keep up with the plan as close as possible. I think it would have been nice to do a 60 day diet, but I still can do it in September. So see you here for the summer ;)

Archived