Starting Whole30 5/14/2018

TheJustinB

So I ended up losing around 5 lbs -- I didn't weigh myself the day I started so I don't know exactly.  It doesn't seem like that much but I seem to be ALMOST a full pant's leaner so I'm happy about that.  

I "reintroduced" Coke, and peanut butter candy :P.  Totally bad idea - the good part is it convinced me to go back to the plan!  - Muscle aches, sinus congestion, bad intestinal problems  :wacko:  Definitely a "not worth it".  Who knew I felt that terrible on a daily basis before starting!  Yeck!!!! 

I will go back on W30 for another two weeks, and decide from there.  I've got a family reunion the first week of July, so I'm not going to worry about being 100% during that but will stay as close as possible - no wheat, corn, dairy, marshmallows, :rolleyes: etc .  There's nothing I really miss all that much, except I do think I'm going to try goat cheese and eventually this new A2 milk that is supposed to cause fewer problems. Maybe rice crackers.   Looking forward to feeling better in a few days after getting the junk back out of my system.  So glad you gals are planning on sticking around.  We'll encourage each other on or off the perfect Whole30 diet.  

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if it is necessary to do the whole reintroduction, the second time around, since you already know what to expect from certain foods. 

I “reintroduced” eggplants and beetroot. Definitely not worth it either :wacko:

Tomorrow will be “alcohol-day” for me. It is the first thing I will reintroduce. Girls night out FTW! 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Noémi said:

I was wondering if it is necessary to do the whole reintroduction, the second time around, since you already know what to expect from certain foods. 

I “reintroduced” eggplants and beetroot. Definitely not worth it either :wacko:

Tomorrow will be “alcohol-day” for me. It is the first thing I will reintroduce. Girls night out FTW! 

We'd recommend reintroductions of some sort every time -- if not the shortened 10-day version, then maybe a slow roll. This article has some thoughts on things you might gain from multiple Whole30s and the reintroductions that follow them:  https://whole30.com/2014/09/five-things-melissa-hartwig-learned-whole30/ 

@Noémi  How are you doing?  I confess to Coke and candy getting to me more than I wanted, but even so, I continue to feel really good with increasing energy and focus in the mornings, and yesterday I put on a pair of pants I realized I'll have to get rid of because they were too baggy.

I reintroduced black beans yesterday on a taco salad and so far so good.  I'm going to dinner at  friends' house tonight and I listed all the things I don't eat and they're willing to go along with it, so I'm encouraged with that.  

How are your reintroductions going?  

Good for you, it sounds good. It is very nice of your friends.

Hi, I wanted to write, but never got to it. I am through alcohol (it was the same as always), I already wasn't drinking, just once a month or something. I reintroduced legumes. Peanut was a disappointment, I wasn't feeling good afterwards. But hummus was OK. Next is sugar, I am really try to think how to reintroduce. First I wanted to drink coffee with sugared coconut milk, but I realized that that would be a hole I don't want to look in. Maybe I just put some in my coffee. 

Unfortunately I "reintroduced" chips, which are from compliant ingredients: still, that was not a very good idea.

Also today was a horrible day for me, I was so depressed I forgot to eat. And of course I was very hungry by evening. But it is not related to the diet, it is just a little bit too much around here.

Sounds like your reintros are going well and you're figuring out what can be continued and cannot.  I'm so sorry about the depression.  I hope your life simplifies soon. 

My friend ended up serving sandwich wraps -- with flour tortillas.  The insides were a pretty healthy (cold) goulash of spinach, kale, cashews with some kind of sauce. I was a little annoyed after she said she'd work with me, but  I ended up opening it up and eating the insides with my fingers so It worked except that I did end up nibbling a little on the tortilla.   I don't know what was in the sauce. There must have been something not good in it because this morning I am lethargic and my sinus condition is worse.  

"Compliant" chips haven't work for me either, sadly.  

Hopefully I can get back on 100% for the next couple days and then do some more reintros.  

I am sorry the dinner didn't turn out well.

I am a little bit afraid about sugar day. This is the first diet, when I wasn't freaking out, what I would do after the end. So I don't want to mess it up. But I know, I can always go back to full on diet, when I don't feel well.

Are you going to do try full blown sugary treats?  Or maybe start with sauces or dressings that have some sugar in them.  I can definitely tell that sugar is not good for me, although I am able to stay a little more in control now than I could before.  I'm afraid too, though, of it all just creeping slowly back in.  

I realized, I have an onion chutney with some sugar at home, so I started with that. It’s not a problem, although it’s so hot here, that I will try ice cream or iced coffee. 

I think sugary sweets are a different problem for me, and I don’t want to try them, when I am already down. In the last couple of days I already felt I need some fat&sugar in my system to feel better :unsure: (I know, it doesn’t help, and this is something I want to be free from all my life)

Yay!  Yes, things are tasting so much sweeter to me too -- which is kind of nice, because it means I can have a small taste and have it be enough.  But I wonder about the ice cream or even the Frappuccino because they have milk as well as sugar.   Or did you reintro dairy already?  I know I just can't do dairy, but I'd gone back to eating chocolate bars which also have milk  - not very much, but enough for me to notice.  I CAN find chocolate that doesn't have anything "bad" in it other than sugar.... I just don't like it as much:rolleyes:

I'm going to be helping a colleague with a family party/bridal shower today so I hope I can resist all the treats.  I'm eating a big whole 30 breakfast and taking lots of water.  

I had it with coconut milk. It's only the sugar, which is not compliant. I think. :rolleyes: I did dairy free diet for almost five years, so I am aware of the hidden dairy usually.

All these years, when I tried to change my diet to a healthier one: a lot of the things I used to love and crave, I cannot eat now...A lot of things are ruined for me. Maybe that is for the best :D 

What I usually do, I bring a little box of nuts and raisins or fruits. Because I cannot stand not eating something, when others are having snacks, and then I have something compliant.

Oh, yes, of course, coconut milk!  I would probably like it better that way anyway.

9 hours ago, Noémi said:

: a lot of the things I used to love and crave, I cannot eat now...A lot of things are ruined for me. Maybe that is for the best :D  

LOL!  Same here!

At the party I nibbled a little bit on some gluten free muffin, and decided to try some cheese they had that was from 100% grass fed cows.  It interested me and is undoubtedly too expensive for me to choose to buy for myself very often, so I decided to try it.  The jury's still out on it -- it seems to have made me a little stuffy but not as bad as I would have expected so maybe there is something to it.   Maybe I will look into getting some if I get a real craving for cheese -- though that has more or less gone by the wayside.  Other than that I grabbed a huge plate of sliced veggies and fruit and filled up on that and unsweetened ice tea.  So it all worked out well:)   

Well..... I guess that's not Whole 30 since it wasn't very balanced with protein and fat, but at least it wasn't junk food.  I had a well balanced dinner very soon after!

Well, I think you did your best!

I checked my notes, tomorrow is corn day. I wanted to evaluate it separately. 

I am really surprised that sugar turned out not to be a problem. Actually I was a little bit more hungry yesterday, because of the additional ch, but I was more energized, and nothing else changed. But I am not craving sugar more than I did before :o I know, if I started to eat more sugary things, I would crave it more, but it is easy to say no. 

I brought Food Freedom Forever today, I am really curious.  

You are being so good to be organized and thinking ahead with your reintroductions!  That's the right way to do it.  I've been a little more haphazard and keep going back to sugar, although most certainly not like I was before. Good luck with corn.  I think it's smart to test that one all by itself.  I've concluded I have to stay away from that - it messes with my intestines and sinuses worse than gluten.  Sad.:(

Let me know how you like Food Freedom Forever.  They have it in the library here - I think I'll check it out tomorrow.! 

Today I'm learning I need to learn the difference, not just between hunger and craving, but between craving and habit.  I went into a discount store where I used to get snack food and junk food.  They also have some "health" food, mostly on the snacky side and not always compliant.  I was perfectly happy, wasn't hungry and wasn't even craving anything, but after picking up a few staples,  I milled around feeling like I "needed" to get something else.  I searched until I found some rice and quinoa chips I thought would not be too terrible for me.  Once I had them in my cart I finally felt like I could check out. They weren't that bad, but it was silly.  It was just a habit that I buy snack food in that store, even when I didn't really even care that much.  And of course then they ended up being food without brakes.  At least I learned a lesson, and fortunately didn't end up feeling too terrible, so I guess quinoa chips are technically okay.(I had already reintroduced rice).  

I did find FFF at the Library and also It Starts With Food.  I've read parts of both of them before, but I thought now would be a good time to review.  

How did corn go?

I have the same problem :rolleyes: Every time I am at the gas station, I have the urge to buy something. It’s not easy emotionally to see how much extra calories I used to put into myself this way :( 

Corn was also surprisingly OK. I had problems for at least ten years now. I only ate a corncob, not the processed or flour version. I feel I have a lot of things back, which I thought are lost for me forever.

Yes, gas station convenience stores are horrible and of course I always think I need to have something to eat in the car, and there's literally nothing healthy in them.  

That's great about the corn.  I think I will try fresh corn on the cob later in the summer and see if it's different than processed versions for me.  

I've been walking about 2 miles a day lately.  It feels good and I can tell I'm carrying a tiny bit less weight down that trail!  Hopefully it will help take even more off.  

Yay, for walking! Working out definitely helps, at least in the ‘feeling better’ part.

I I would need to eat gluten free grains, but so far I didn’t see anything I would like. Maybe I will change to dairy. 

Today I really hate everything. I hate cooking, and I don't want to see another batch of raw meat. I want to sit down, and just eat what they give me :unsure: I am not sure if it's related to the rice floury stuff I ended up eating yesterday. But I really hate the world today :rolleyes:

Yesterday I ate MSG&co, because I was at a BbQ, and forgot to bring my own meat. Well, I feel I have a stone in my stomach. And I feel bad, that I won’t be able to eat processed food ever, because I don’t need this feeling at all :wacko:

Oh wow this has been a crazy week and I totally forgot to post! Sounds like you're learning some things  with your reintros.... I would bet the feelings.of being done with it all did come from the rice flour etc... that stuff can mess with the brain transmitters in a big way.  I hope you're feeling better.

This week has been so stressful I have almost completely gone back to old eating habits and I now feel terrible.  I'm going have to be super disciplined the next 3 days and then will be at a family reunion/campout for 3 days.  Even there I plan to stay away from gluten, dairy, corn, heavy carbs, etc but I don't want to have to worry about the BBQ sauce type issues.... but I'll see if even that gives me a reaction like you described.

Oh wow! The effects lasted that long!

I know I am going to have a hard time at this campout that starts tomorrow... not just from things that would be tempting anyway but also from the stress that comes from closed quarters with extended family.  Thankfully I have a few other diversions planned and will just imagine how good I feel when I eat right and how terrible I feel when I don't.  Try to think AHEAD about what's "worth it".  

Maybe you should read the part in FFF, where it gives you techniques to be more mindful about choosing food. But I think you have a good plan already ;)

I only have dairy to reintroduce. I had sweeteners, it was not bad. Not good either, but I didn't eat much before.

I now want to be a little bit thoughtful about what to eat in the long run. I need to have "go to" foods, when I go to a restaurant. I also want to start with a stricter Whole30 in September. I have to design that also.

Archived