Starting Whole30 5/14/2018

TheJustinB

I ate some gluten, and it was not bad at all, I am not sure what was it before. still, I think I will eat gluten-free for some time, to give my guts some break. Actually now I can drink coffee black all the time. And that way I only drink coffee, when I want exactly that. So it’s a win I think. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Well, my reunion/campout went well.  I ate much more off-plan than I intended but I feel like everything I did eat pretty much followed the Food Freedom rules of making a conscious decision to eat it and stopping when I'd had enough to "satisfy the experience".  Some things I probably won't have opportunity again for another year and it's part of the experience - like my dad's sourdough pancakes.  I had heard that the sour dough process digests the gluten so they are technically gluten free, but I'm not sure that's entirely true since I did feel a rush of weakness and "yuck" within about 15 minutes of eating.. which is typical when I eat a lot of gluten.  Still, it was "worth it" for the experience this one time.  I also had a couple roasted marshmallows -- something I won't see again for a year, and stopped after about 3 for the whole weekend, . so that's pretty good.

I also had some fast food during the traveling, which was NOT Food Freedom, and was really only because I didn't prepare ahead.    Some of that included caffeinated drinks with sugar... which I'm definitely going to have work on getting back off of!

I can tell I don't feel as well after all that, but I will get back to healthy now.   I feel way better than I have afterwards in the past, and I've been pretty active, including a 3.5 mile walk yesterday.

Well, today didn't go so well.  Seems after the weekend my sugar dragon kicked back in and downed a whole bunch of granola bars, which I've never eaten even before my whole 30 so that's weird. Now I have a stomachache, headache and sore throat.   It's late now so I'm going to have to get up early and make sure I get a good hearty, lunch with lots of vegetables made, and then hit the supermarket for some more greens and meat.  Hope you're doing well.  

well, I am in bit of a limbo. I made a list, what my diet will be. I will eat grain and dairy free, when I can. I will eat as close to whole30 at home as possible. We are going in a camp this thursday, and I ordered gluten-free meal. I hope it will be ok. Dairy in small amounts is not that bad for me, as it turns out. But one week of gluten eating, and I feel bloated, and not really well. 

Yea, I'm finding that too... that at first bite things don't seem too bad, but after eating them a few days in the row, there are consequences.  I guess that's what we're trying to figure out so its good. :)

I prepped about 3 days worth of food tonight so I should be good for a while.  I'm going on a short trip with a couple friends over the weekend and I plan to stick to dairy/grains free as much as possible.  I haven't gotten back on the scale but I feel like I might still be losing a little weight.  I've just got to get this sugar dragon back under control. 

Have fun on your campout!

Argh. I ate some gluten on our mini-holiday, and I was hungry the whole time. Except, I realize now, it is not hunger, it's my stomach aching :blink: I really have to go cold turkey on gluten. Argh. I am so tired. It is not easy.

Oh I am so sorry.  It is so hard!  That's interesting you recognize the feeling now as stomach ache rather than hunger.

I went to the coast with friends over the weekend and did pretty good staying on track.  I had a small piece of bagel to be nice to a friend who had fixed breakfast, one bite of cake and a couple squares of dark chocolate. Otherwise, whole 30 omelet, compliant taco salad, the insides out of a sandwich (leaving the bread).   I'm just a little bit bloated today but otherwise feel okay.  Looking forward to getting some more exercise in this week.  

One interesting thing the other day, I picked cherries for freezing and ended up eating A LOT right in the orchard.  Afterward I totally crashed and needed about an hour nap. (even tho it was early in the day).  I think it was a blood sugar issue brought on by all the fruit without anything to balance it out.  So I learned that whole 30 lesson!

Hope your week goes well and you can get back off gluten easily!

That totally makes sense.

Last night I gave in to a "tiny" bit of gravy with gluten, a little sour cream, and regular dressing,  and this morning, toast, mainly just to not make a big deal out of not eating what was set in front of me.  My sugar dragon roared the rest of the day and I ended up with an ice cream sundae, a soda pop and a candy bar.   arrrrrrggghhhh….. 

Lesson:  just tell people ahead of time what I do and don't eat, and have something on hand I can pull out of my purse just in case I end up with cravings.  

Aside from that mistake, I've lost another 4-5 pounds and realize I have more consistent energy and mood (except for days like today).... yay for ongoing progress.  

yay for loosing weight! I did not, since I am in the experimenting phase. My children are small and at home for the summer holidays so I cannot really cook. I try to find some shortcuts but it’s not easy :( I tried gluten-free products but it feels as I have a stone in my stomach, and I overate. It’s really hard on me to do a grain-free diet, I just don’t have the time to be in the kitchen that much. At least I am not gaining weight, which was a big fear for me. 

When kindergarten starts, I will have the time again to cook, so I will start a Whole90 until november, so I will have some time to reintroduce before christmas. But I think my hopes for loosing more weight are not realistic right now. It makes me sad :( And also a little bit afraid, that my body is not working properly :( 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, Noémi said:

It makes me sad :( And also a little bit afraid, that my body is not working properly :( 

Ohhhhh….. that makes me sad for you that you.  Does your doctor/healer have any suggestions for you?  I've been considering if thyroid medication would help me to lose weight better.  I haven't talked to a professional about it.  It's hard to find someone who really knows and will treat symptoms, rather than the (faulty) testing procedures, but they can be found.

I had a pretty emotional week and have totally fallen off the wagon, including more ice cream, French fries and pizza.... a friend ordered the pizza and I asked him to get a gluten free crust, but apparently they didn't offer it and I didn't realize what I was eating for a while.  Ended up with a rock in my stomach and afraid to step back on the scales. 

My problem is, that I have "good" results. At least not enough bad, to find anything. I have better results treating myself :D

It seems that grain-free diet is what I need. So I am trying to do that, and learning not to beat myself up, when I just don't have the time or energy. It is really hard to put down my all-or-nothing thinking...

I know what you mean about all or nothing thinking.  That is a big problem for me too.... so if I'm not all the way "on" I figure I might as well go all the way "off."!  As in quite a few cookies today :unsure: instead of one or two! 

That said, I think I am going to go for another whole reset for 3-4 weeks because I'm going on vacation starting Sept 1 and I want to feel as good as possible for it, plus lose a little more weight beforehand.  So I'll go back on Whole 30 except for a few things that I've tested and know I can tolerate, including rice crackers, black beans, goat cheese, and even sugar in prepared sauces - but not "sweets" of course. Most of those are carbs, so I'll have to be careful to balance meals.

wow, good for you! I wish I could be more to the plan. But in the last weeks I was more relaxed with "making mistakes", so naturally I made less :D Still gluten-free eating still beats me. I feel like it's the "forbidden fruit". But it is not good for me...

Yea, I know what you mean.  I hope you can find the balance.  I ate quite a bit of gluten the last couple days and I know it makes me feel terrible.  But making the commitment to be totally "gluten-free' seems to be only thing that works -- because of the "all or nothing" problem, I guess..  Yesterday I partook of a delicious pasta salad because it was about the only thing available at a dinner I went to (And, it was delicious, whereas I don't normally get thrilled about pasta salads).  At the moment it was totally worth it, but afterwards I had a stomach ache, and this morning I have intestinal problems, sinus problems, and total exhaustion this afternoon. 

As of today, I am back on Whole 30.  I hope I don't have to go through all the horrible withdrawal  symptoms again, since I have sort of been on for a while now.  

You are making your life better! Good for you!  I think sometimes we don’t give up enough learning time for ourselves in these things. 

I have my blood results from last week. It’a not the best :( hopefully I can make them better. Still, I need to loose 70 more pounds, so I think that will help on some things. 

I’m a little bit caught up in potty training issues, so naturally I have less time and energy for cooking and stuff. 

Hopefully I can eat better this week. I have lots of veggies at home, but I don’t have the time to cook :( 

Oh, I imagine dealing with a toddler takes pretty much all your time and energy!  How precious, though!

My efforts at getting back on the plan have only partially worked.  At least I am staying away from wheat and dairy but have taken in a bit of sugar this week and I feel the lethargy.  I like your statement "sometimes we don't give enough learning time for ourselves in these things."  So, yes, still learning and not giving up. 

Hope you have a good weekend and keep up with the veggies AND the potty training!! :o:DB)

Well, we had a breakthrough with the potty-issue, so I am more relaxed, and I had the time to prepare lots of veggies, so I have food for the next days. And next week, we'll be camping on the farm we usually get our veggies from, so I will be eating better next week for sure. Still I cannot get myself to eat gluten-free, but I am getting better, I hope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Noémi   I'm so sorry I disappeared!  My august was crazy busy, then I left for a vacation for the first two weeks of Sept, during which I did OKAY on my diet but still partook of some "bad" item, mostly bread-type things.  When I got back, I found out that the place I had been working as a reflexologist and part-time office manager was closing in two weeks!  So I have been scrambling to find other places to work and it has been stressful and I went back to some of my terrible snacking habits.  That has gotten me to a place of constant sinus infection and feeling ill most of the time.  

I've been contemplating doing another whole 30 but really just don't want the stress of doing it perfectly, I just want food freedom, so I'm going to start a new line on the Post-Whole 30 line to just lay down some of my goals keep a food diary.  I've been doing pretty good the last couple weeks, motivated by my feeling so terrible.  

My family is hosting a Thanksgiving dinner that will be Paleo, so that's not going to be a problem, thank goodness.  

Archived