Kelly's Whole30, Round 3

kellyfoss

Days 24-26:

Had a crazy, crazy weekend with no chance to catch up on my food log. Have some good news and some not-so-good news.

The good: Not pregnant. *throws a party* Finished our 5K with flying colors, although we didn't exactly place, haha. But we weren't last! And we had fun. Plenty of energy, stretched a lot before and after so as not to anger my back. Also met another young couple on our street and they are BIG fitness people, so we're looking forward to spending time with them in the future so we can all keep each other accountable.

The not-so-good: I went off-plan shortly after the race. We went to First Watch while the rest of the neighborhood had a pancake breakfast so we could get something I can eat. Unfortunately, the skillet I ordered had non-compliant bacon... and I totally didn't realize it until I had wolfed down 80% of it since I was starving after our run. So that happened. Choosing not to fall apart over it, I kept on chugging the rest of the weekend. I've decided to essentially start "Riding My Own Bike" a few days early, rather than start all over again at Day 1. It's just not needed for me at this point, I've already done my reintros during my first two rounds. I know what food my body can and cannot deal with. Really this round was just to reset my energy levels and hormones, drop some bloating and discomfort from my body, and get my sleep back to where it used to be. All missions I have accomplished! So instead of starting over, I am 99% compliant for the foreseeable future until something comes up that makes me want to go off-plan, then back on to regain my Tiger Blood.

That said, today is technically day 27 but that number is a bit arbitrary at this point. I'm going to wait until the end of the week to weigh myself and record all my (many!) NSVs from this round. I don't consider round 3 to be a failure - quite the contrary, I was very proud of myself for not losing my mind over a little sugar in my bacon. :P That's a huge step for me, to be able to handle that situation with grace and a casual shrug (to compare, when I accidentally used a spice blend with sugar in it on day 23 of my first round I actually cried at the dinner table). It's not the end of the world. I'm still loving all the good food I'm making and eating, and loving how I feel. That's what counts!

So I'm on what would have been day 29 today, and I thought I'd leave my NSV (and SV) list here for my own future reference. I had a salad last night with a dusting of feta, and some candied pecans. It was very tasty and other than some mild GI distress for about a half hour afterward, I was fine. I declined popcorn and candy at the movie we went to see afterward, and still had a good time! Imagine that. :P I'm looking forward to developing this into a lifestyle that is sustainable for me long-term.

Anyway! Onto the results:

• Sleeping better by a mile, no longer restless, dreaming more
  • Clear skin and eyes, lessened dark circles
  • Resting HR dropped from 85 to 73 BPM!
  • Almost no heart palpitations
  • No bloating or gas after meals, or in general
  • Less anxiety, more stable mood
  • More energy throughout my day
  • Learned to cook some new recipes
  • Clothes fit better
  • Oh, and I lost 10 lb!

And there are probably more that I'm forgetting to add. As usual, this was a wonderful process that challenged me and reminded me what being alive is actually SUPPOSED to feel like! I fully plan to do at least two resets a year for probably the rest of my life, trying to return to this way of eating any time I feel I really need it. It's just too wonderful not to, and it works. How do I love thee, Whole30... let me count the ways. <3

• 4 weeks later...

Archived