Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

You may find these in either Coles or Woolworths (and I presume some other retailers).

Cleavers Organic Paleo Sausages and Burgers

http://cleaversorganic.com.au/paleo-range/

I've tried these two and they are both compliant, however, read your labels as they make a number of products and not all of them are compliant (paleo or other), at least one of the paleo range contains honey, so not Whole30 compliant.

http://cleaversorganic.com.au/our-products/paleo-beef-sausage/

http://cleaversorganic.com.au/our-products/organic-paleo-beef-burger/

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, I'd always paid extra for it thinking it was better :( now I'll stick to organic or the cheaper RSPCA chicken.

I do think they used to make better chicken years ago. For a number of years their BBQ chickens were gluten free too (stuffed with rice), but that changed and I noticed the chicken breasts got bigger.

Just a word of warning Australians!

Day 23 into my Whole 30 and I was comparing supplement labels of a Vitamin B supplement (in the cupboard but haven't taken) and a Vitex supplement I've been taking for the last 3 days, both from the same company - different labels standards

The Vitamin B supplement says it is free from Gluten, lactose, nuts, shellfish, sugar, dairy, egg, fish, sesame seeds, soy. No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.

The Vitex supplement says Gluten, lactose, nuts, shellfish, dairy, egg, fish, sesame seeds. No artificial flavours

I contacted the company as I was confused as to whether the Vitex potentially contains Soy, Sugar and Preservatives, as it doesn't list that it is free from. And YEP! the company got back to me, that yes indeed the Vitex contains SOY!!!

So, even if it isn't listed in the ingredients, or free from - it can still be there. Apparently under the Therapeutic Goods and Administration (TGA) labelling allergens is not a requirement! 

If you want allergen free supplements, ask your local chemist (ask to speak to the pharmacist) or for more pure forms a naturopath (many of these cannot be purchased without an appointment). Via my naturopath I get some Metagenics products, but even these are not always pure, you have to ask and check (although I generally find gluten, dairy and soy not to be a problem with them). You will also find magnesium products more similar to the often mentioned Natural Calm (USA), I've recently switched from MagMin to a powdered magnesium and it is quite different.

My local chemist has a note in my file about no soy, no gluten, no dairy and tries to find me products without these as well as reviewing all my prescriptions too. Sometimes a prescription only comes with either dairy or soy, but at least then I get to make an informed choice.

All of the dissolve in water tablets (such as Berocca) have either sweeteners or sugar, same with most chewables especially the gummie whatevers, but for Post-Whole30 some are now being made with stevia rather than the other kinds.

The labelling requirements are crap for these kinds of products, chemists have access to some ingredient lists (but not all brands) which go far beyond the label.

Be aware there are similar label loopholes for coffee, tea and alcohol (not Whole30 compliant), as the beverage laws were made when they were pure products and have not been updated. Some instant coffee contains gluten, I've had one tea company tell me not to drink a caramel tea as it might contain gluten and alcohol companies tend to keep their ingredients secret, which makes avoiding ingredients very difficult (cider for example is often not gluten free).

Just a note for those who love Frank's Hot Sauce (Original). I recently saw some in Woolworths, but it's a different formulation, containing wheat, always read your labels. [update: seen at Coles too and it's the same formulation containing wheat]

[Latest Update: It's label has been updated for Aussie labelling, but a bit confusing as the wording is a bit non-standard. The vinegar is distilled from wheat (wheat is an allergen so it's bold on the label) but it's gluten free as it's distilled (as all vinegar is in the USA) - so yes compliant, yes gluten free, no for folks allergic to wheat]

• 2 weeks later...

For those in Melbourne, coming up (12th to 14th of March) is the Natural & Organic Supershow (weird name, but keep reading) http://thesupershow.com.au

You can get two tickets for the price of one with promo code PETE (yep, that guy from Paleo Way). It's not Whole30, but I'm hoping there'll be some good stuff there so I'm going.

For anyone who is going, I recommend taking some cash as there are no ATMs inside and some stands will be cash only.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just bumping up this thread to see if anyone has any new products that have popped up! I'm starting my first on Wednesday after weaning myself into it and looking for local ideas :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wahhh this topic is dead, come on Aussies where are you these days! I'm now on Day 10 of complete compliance [miracle!] and thought I'd share some finds for anyone that might come across this thread on google.

I went to Costco the other night, Australian Costco carries a few of the same products as the US one . If anyone is wondering what you can get that's compliant, for about $140 I got:

• 1kg baby spinach, 3kg sweet potato, 1kg medley tomatos, 4x leeks, 500g strawbs, 900g org medjool dates, giant org pumpkin, mushrooms 
  • 1kg org beef mince
  • Dozen org eggs
  • 1L bottle garlic olive oil [finally in a bigger bottle!]
  • 900g org coconut oil jar [they also had a 4kg tub..]
  • Huge bag of org desiccated coconut
  • 3x huge jars of compliant Kirkland brand napoletana sauce for when I'm lazy [woohoo!]
  • Compliant prosciutto/parma ham [just pork and salt, yeeha!]

Harris Farm is excellent for reasonably priced grass fed meats and grocery products if you haven't got a good butcher - the store in Bowral is heaven [while we're on Bowral, the Raw & Wild Market Cafe are great with cobbling together a compliant meal, highly recommend]. It makes me sad there are not more harris Farms in Sydney's suburbia, only the trendy end of town. They also had 500g bags of pistachios for 10 bucks - winner.

Fine Fettle zucchini and almond flats are just divine, and compliant. Found at speciality grocery stores in the big packs, some supermarkets carry the single serve portions.

Cashew Cookie Larabars sourced from iHerb are a lifesaver - about AUD$2 a piece when you buy a box and ships free if you buy a couple other things at the same time [coconut aminos are 8 bucks]. They are truly a handbag essential. Use my code VEY470 to save $5 on your first order! Haven't found any other compliant emergency bars. I thought I came close but some coconut nectar was snuck in there, grr.

My local Woolworths [a regular suburban store] stocks Southern Highlands organic eggs, about $8 a dozen which is pretty decent. I've seen them stocked in trendy foodie stores for $10+. So ask your grocery manager to start stocking those if they don't already.

Cleavers Meats stocked in some supermarkets [stockist list on their website] have some options in their Paleo range that are compliant and organic meats - the sausages, pork meatballs and lamb rissoles, but watch out for the honey beef chipolatas [honey]. Useful if you want a pre-prepared option at hand. Homemade meatballs always win out though.

• Administrators

Errrmmm...I just googled this and it looks an awful lot like a bunch of compliant ingredients trying to recreate a cracker or a chip.  If so, that wouldn't be compliant during your Whole30 but they sound like a delicious choice for after!

Errrmmm...I just googled this and it looks an awful lot like a bunch of compliant ingredients trying to recreate a cracker or a chip.  If so, that wouldn't be compliant during your Whole30 but they sound like a delicious choice for after!

Yep, they're vegetables, fruits and seeds pressed and dehydrated in to crackers - super tasty!

Yeah probably not super compliant if used in that form, but I break them up and mix them with almonds for my emergency snack 'trail mix'. Adds some veg and savouryness. If I dipped them into anything I would smack my wrist!

They were also mentioned earlier in this thread, by a mod, so figured they'd be ok so long as not used in ways that replicate other foods. Didn't even strike me as a cracker replica to be honest!

Maggie Beer's stock is also compliant, at least chicken and beef are - no sugar or wine. Exxy at $8-9 per 500ml pouch but I use it 1:1 with water and still get a great flavour and stretches it out a bit more as it's pretty strong. Lovely spice flavours in the beef one.

I found a compliant ham yesterday also! Pastoral Smallgoods double smoked leg ham stocked in Harris Farm. It is... gluten, sugar, dairy, msg, egg, soy, milk, nut and added colour free. Phew! Their website looks like they've got a solid product range and quite a few stockists so worth a look.

The Woolworth's Gold, Chicken,Beef and Vegetable stock is also compliant!

Just chicken, water and veg! It's around $6/500 mL so isn't cheap either.

Ooh cheaper than Maggie's though! I found one in Supabarn that's compliant, $4.99/500ml pouch! Only the chicken was compliant though.

I also think I've found a compliant bacon that can be found at a number of farmers markets in NSW - I've just contacted them to triple confirm they don't use sugar to cure as it's not in the ingredients list then I'll share the brand.

For anyone who hasn't eaten a Fine Fettle Flat, the texture is not like a cracker, to be honest it's a little bit like cardboard, but hard and quite chewy, very dried-vegetable ;) They're quite dry too so often not a great option on the move, quite crumbly as well and very expensive (I'd rather buy steak!). Some boiled eggs, tin of tuna or steak strips would travel a lot better, the only thing I'll give them is they can live in the cupboard, but they don't have as long a life as a tin of tuna, for a shelf product they're quite short lived. All the non-zucchini versions I've seen contain something non-compliant like corn or agave, so always read your labels. I've found I much prefer fresh veggie sticks, but do find them a better option for me than dried fruit (they are occasionally offered in gluten free catering) or a bite of a bar containing dates as I don't get any sort of blood sugar spike from them.

A new find for me (probably only in Melbourne for now, not a long shelf life), Offally Good Food's Paleo Pate:

http://www.offalygoodfood.com.au

I love the taste, nice smooth pate. Loved it on steak.

Has a bit of an unconventional seal of coconut oil inside the jar (it doesn't taste funny or anything, just a surprise inner-seal).

No good for low FODMAP folks as it's got onion and garlic.

Another new find for me was The Goods bone broth:

https://www.soulfresh.com.au/products/food/the-goods-organic/free-range-beef-bone-broth/

I like how wiggly it gets in the fridge, unlike some of the bagged bone broths.

Making a short note for the Melbourne/VIC folk, sadly the Paleo Café in Mornington has closed.

However Patch Café in Richmond is my new favourite! :D Ask questions as there are also non-compliant things on the menu (save that paleo bread for Post-Whole30). This is a great place to go with friends who aren't on a Whole30 as there's lots of yummy things for everyone.

Also, if you buy any Himalayan salt or pepper from a health food store and are sensitive to gluten, you may want to double check your labels.

There's a brand being stocked a few places which is organic and comes with a "may contain" warning for gluten, got sick from using both the salt and pepper so have had to dump them. Mine had the warning in a slightly odd place on the label, lower than it usually would be, so I missed it.

I'll go back and edit the older post but new labelling on Frank's Red Hot sauce is confusing as they've updated to have Australian-compliant label, but don't include the level of info usually included on Aussie labels. It's gluten free as the vinegar (distilled from wheat) is gluten free. Still no good for anyone with a wheat allergy though which is why wheat is in bold on the label (allergen).

There's also a few brands of local produce frozen berries popping up, for anyone who has been avoiding overseas berries (or unknown berries) since the Hep issues.

Yeeha have confirmation from the producer that Trunkey Bacon is sugar free. Their labels only say 'nitrate free' despite having no sugar derivatives in ingredient list, and they're going to add 'sugar free' to the label as well so folks like us can identify it. Really nice smoky flavour, one rasher diced up in my frittata gave the whole thing a nice smoky edge.

Their website says they're stocked at a retail store in Orange as well as the markets below. I got mine from a meat seller at Bulli markets.

Northside Produce Market
Miller st North Sydney
1st Saturday 8:00AM - 1:00PM

Orange Farmer's Market 
Orange Showground
2nd Saturday 8:00AM - 12:00PM

Castle Hill Grower's Market 
Castle Hill Showground
2nd & 4th Saturday 8:00AM - 12:00PM

Blackheath Grower's Market 
Blackheath Memorial Hall
2nd Sunday 9:00AM - 1:00PM