Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
This post is for our neighbours in New Zealand -> Whole9 South Pacific is in Christchurch this weekend! (please ask them to come to Melbourne)

PS. I am still giggling over "Ticket Type: Eager Beavers Sales End: 15/03/2014, Ticket Type: Procrastinators Sales End: Not Started"

• 3 weeks later...

Success! For those wanting a coconut yoghurt, easy recipe for Aussies (adapted from FeedMeRachel's):

1 x can of undrained Ayam Coconut Cream (270ml)

4 x Dairy Free Inner Health Plus capsules

In a glass jar, put coconut cream, empty 4 capsules into jar (throw out crispy capsule shells), stir madly, put in fridge and patiently wait 2-3 days.

Coconut yoghurt, no sweeteners, no additives, dairy free :D

Has anyone tried this yet? What's it like?

I have :) I don't use it all that much, but it's nice with fresh berries.

It's not like regular yoghurt and it's never fluffier/thicker than the original coconut cream (if you use liquid coconut milk, it will be liquid).

Making it yourself is a lot cheaper than buying ones like CoYo (which has a lot more ingredients too).

If anyone has a proper yoghurt machine, I'm interested if it comes out any different in one of those.

My goodies to share are:

- maharajas choice ghee from Coles

- cooked beetroots from Coles (one ingredient - beetroot). Throw in salad or by itself. Yum. No need spend ages boiling it and peel it,

- Mae Ploy green curry paste added to coconut milk and nut butter makes an awesome satay sauce. Add a squeeze of lemon and compliant fish sauce if you find that treasure. Don't overeat. It would have a lot of fat.

- coconut oil from Coles

- kalamata balsamic vinegar from Coles with no additives

- wholegrain mustard Coles brand has no nasties, use it for mayo or whatever

- watch out for dried fruit, can contain vegetable oil. Yuk.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rosemary - it looks a lot like a plantain to me, but I'm not familiar with any cooking bananas that aren't a plantain.

Some plantain photos here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_plantain I always think they look more geometric than a sweet banana, squarish.

You can't eat plantains raw and they don't smell the same as a banana, they're starchy, firm and kind of sticky when you cut them up and I peel them the opposite way (they don't peel as easy as a regular banana).

• 2 weeks later...

Woolworths Select brand now has compliant liquid stock too - free range chicken, fish, beef and vegetable. It was $5.99 for 500ml.

And the Macro brand Dijon Mustard is compliant (and way cheaper than Maille - although I haven't tasted it yet, might not be as good).

Heads up, some Macro products I used to buy now have a new note on the label "traces of gluten", including the nuts :(

Boo Macro, you suck!

I'm sure that's just a butt covering exercise - if there's nothing in the actual ingredients list that is gluten, then I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live in Melbourne (Dandenong Ranges) and am a it of a foodie.  Me and my partner would eat out at least twice a week before I started the whole30 this week.  I know of the Paleo Cafe in Mornington, but does anyone know of others?  I'm not sure I can go a whole month without a visit to a cafe.  Plus I'm also keen to try new places  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread a great source of info :D.

Bronwyn_q have you been to the Paleo Cafe, I'm going to drag the kids down to the peninsula for a day trip in the school holidays so I can check thus out :D.

Rosemary - is that in the cold section? Coles also have a bagged stock in the gluten free section, but it's very expensive and I don't think it's made with bones, but it might be organic.

I haven't been there, but Palate also have a sister cafe in Brighton, not sure of the name. Beware the coconut lattes at Palate, they are not compliant (boxed coconut milk with nasties).

Bronwyn - Depending on how far it is from you, Ripe up in Olinda might be able to make something compliant, but they might need a heads up. Pretty sure they make all their own food, but they also make a lot of grainy items.

Look for cafes which make their own food, rather than get it delivered in boxes. They usually have larger kitchens, free range eggs and real chefs. Places which take fax/email orders, you can send them the Allowed List PDF. If you can't find anything else, 5 star hotel restaurants/cafes are usually very accommodating (but can be expensive).

Archived