Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

If anyone lives near a Paleo Café, some will sell you their bacon, frozen. It comes in a pretty big pack and they have a few different kinds. For memory one of them isn't Whole30 (honey maybe?), so do check ingredients. Once you know the right one, you can order it and they can hold it for you :)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

If there are any Perth people put there wholethirtying at the moment I've had a great shopping experience at the Asian grocer at Coventry village in Morley. I got 2 boxes of produce, olive oil and a tub of Ayam compliant curry paste for $85. Plus there is a halal butcher that sells smoked beef which only has salt, pepper and garlic. Nothing else! The butcher gave us a slither to try and it is truely delicious. Think of it like a procuitto but in beef and at $35 per kg its way cheaper than procuitto. They also do the same thing in goat so I think I'll try that one next . I thought it might be a tasty was to give some eggs a lift. They also sell fresh goat for everyone wanting to try a goat curry. I live about 15-20 minutes away with grocery stores a lot closer but think it's worth the drive for the quality produce here. Oh and there's an amazing spice store there too with a compliant nut free dukkah which now is spicy but really tasty. You get to serve yourself and everything's in massive jars and the guy there is very helpful too. 

Personally if I lived further away and didn't want to go each weekend then I would probably go there the day before starting a round and do a big stock up. 

For those looking for bacon the naked butcher in Mundaring sells this. They make their own as well as smoked chicken which is also compliant. I even found some very plain but tasty sausages there last time I did a round. They also sell all grass fed organic and they do weekly deliveries north and south of the river too on certain days as well if you can't make it up there. I have ventured out this so far this round but figure next weekend I'll go up there and get some of the chicken they smoke for the salad I make. I can't remember what other surface/sugar free items they do and they are not in my "everyday' eating budget but I did a whole 30 previously and I bought 1 pack of bacon which I only used half of as it as I used it as a fat source/seasoning and it was plenty.

hope this helps anyone researching this thread who's currently doing a 30 or preparing for one. There's some really tasty stuff out there in Perth. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, praxisproject said:

Not new but one of my favourites for spicy is the Deadset Delicious Chilean Aji :wub: canned tuna & leftover potato + this is awesome 

I haaate coriander so probably not for me :P

48 minutes ago, Ryan Deith said:

Hey Guys,

My name is Ryan, from Melbourne, doing my first whole30! Killing me that we don't have a Whole Foods in Aus, and keen to know what people use for compliant dressings (besides making your own), compliant sausages, bone broth etc.

Cheers:)

Hey Ryan :) I'm in Melbourne too. Dressings are toughest, I make my own mayo (macadamia oil is my favourite for flavour but I use Light Cobram olive oil sometimes too, it's a virgin but far less bitter than a green virgin olive oil, it is far more bitter than macadamia though) & sunshine sauce (Well Fed for recipe). You can get compliant bone broths here but it's much cheaper to make your own, even if your own is organic. Depending on location, you may find Cleaver's Paleo meats, but read the labels carefully, they have some non-Paleo products with similar packaging. Some products contain soy and honey (one of the Paleo ones has honey). Coles has some cheaper grass fed meats Three Island (raised near King Island), but most supermarket sausages contain some kind of flour (not compliant).

Seriously awesome organic meat from Hagan's (Prahran Market) & T.O.M.S (South Melbourne Market) if your budget can handle it (always ask about bacon, if you'll find it compliant anywhere, it'll be at one of these). TOMS also sells the Deadset Delicious Chilean Aji, which I've otherwise only found at Wholefood Merchants.

Wholefood Merchants in Ferntree Gully is huge (like a Bunnings), but lots of non-compliant stuff there too. not cheap but massive range (PHF still has some stuff they don't though).

Prahran Health Foods has some awesome stuff and very helpful staff, tell them what you like and why and that you're on Whole30, really helpful at recommending stuff, especially the big guy with the beard (usually wearing a black tshirt). Look for the frozen mango "icypoles" which are pure mango (frozen), Mojo & Remedy Kombucha (Mojo is compliant, not sure about other brands but the keg/refill brand isn't Harvest something), fresh http://nutsovermilk.com.au (in glass) and my favourite there, the Paleo Pate from Offaly Good Food (double check the label, I've not had it during a Whole30 but pretty sure it's compliant, think it used to be made with butter when released but is now made with coconut oil). http://www.offalygoodfood.com.au

I did import some Tessemae's dressings, tomato sauce and mustard (there is no local supplier), fairly sure we can't import the mayo through our customs (I didn't try):

http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

I prefer Frank's Red Hot over the Tessemae's Buffalo stuff, the tomato & bbq sauce is handy purely because I rarely eat it so I won't ever make my own. I like the zesty and southwest ranch but they're more of an American flavour to me. Generally I prefer mixing something with my mayo for dressings (easiest is Frank's Red Hot for buffalo mayo), or sunshine sauce. The mustard however has been a surprising favourite, since so many local brands aren't compliant. Louisiana also makes some nice hot sauces (I like em on Pulled Pork) which are available here, all the ones I've found are compliant but I always check labels, found in quite odd places from supermarkets to Big W (sometimes in a "gift pack" of 8 hot sauces - all Louisiana brand).

If it's close to you, La Manna (north/west ish) sells lots of compliant stuff, but going there is more painful than waiting in lines at VicRoads or Christmas shopping at Chadstone on Christmas Eve as the demand far outstrips the store's size, leading to grouchy people and excessive wasting of time.

• 3 months later...

Hello fellow sunny coaster! 

I make my own sausages,

1kg decent pork mince,

1 tblsp mixed herbs,

3/4 tblspn sage,

3/4 tblspn salt,

Mix in food processor, make into patties (or use sausage maker if you have more patience than me!) makes about 18-20 patties.

Enjoy.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2017 at 9:56 AM, _Amy said:

Any new finds Aussies? I've just started round 2 :) 

Hi all, I'm so glad  I accidentally found you all and I'm on day 25 of W30!!   So good to see we have a thread cos it's been a headache trying to go from USA to OZ (cilantro = coriander and pounds and ounces ....well you know what I mean :rolleyes:)   

Anywho... I've been trying to compile my own list of compliant goodies so I didn't have to keep rethinking it all over and over.  This is pretty much what I've come up with so far.  Let me know if I've faffed any but I think I'm pretty much on track (fingers crossed).   I live in South East Qld and it's doing my head in trying to find s/f bacon.  It's like you can only get it from flying pigs!  Anyway I'll keep on swimmin....

Condiments & Sauces

Pandaroo Fish Sauce premium quality

Ranchero Chunky Salsa Chipotle (Woolies)

Macro Organic Dijon Mustard  (Woolies) OR Maille Dijon Originale (Coles or Woolies)

Masterfoods Hot English  Mustard (Woolies or Coles)

Coles Wholegrain seeded mustard  (Coles)

Asia Specialties Coconut Milk and Cream (Aldi)

Jamie Oliver Tomato and Basil spaghetti sauce (Woolies) no others

Pataks Rogan Josh (Woolies or Coles) no others

Meat and Fish

John West Kippers (Coles)

CLEAVERS  Paleo sausages  and meats (Woolies)

GRAZE meats (Coles)

Pasture fed organic pork (Coles none at Woolies)

Soups

LaZuppa Roasted Pumpkin Soup  (Woolies and Coles)   ( I haven't tried it yet but this is supposed to be nice with seafood added....jus sayin..)

cheers

Also can I add to my last post to read the labels  as I was primarily looking out for sugar and W30 chemicals listed in PDF.  There may be added stuff you'd prefer not to have.  At this point I'm keeping to the big picture as I have a big family.  cheers to all and can't wait to get over that 30 day finish line! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 5:35 PM, Bethmj said:

Yep bacon is a big problem! Haven't found any yet, let me know if you do :D

Hi @Bethmj I rang my local organic butcher who has pasture fed bacon.  It was only when I asked about sugar in the bacon he told me they did it themselves without nitrates and sugar.  It was interesting cos I had checked on the site (which didn't really say much) and I would have given up - but I was desperate!!  So taking the extra step to ring and ask may be worth it.  I was actually using a Coles brand economy bacon cos it read as less that 1 gram carb and less than 1 gram sugar so I figured that was probs the best I could find and was using it very sparingly.  However with my new sugar-free butcher bacon I intend to pig out!! :D(Someone had to say it!! :P)

Good luck.  Also thanks @Bethmj I've used your sausage/pattie recipe above and love it!

And @_Amy are you still around? I'm onto my second W30.  Day 4.  Woohoo! 

Also  I'm really interested if there are many Aussies still here? 

• 1 month later...

Hi Im Sharnna from Sydney, going to start my first Whole 30 on 12/7/17 (after next pay day) just trying to prep everythng now and looking for all the complient options. is anyone near canterbury who knows of a good places to purchase some of these items especially a butcher?

would love to chat to anyone in the area and talk over what is available and what the experience is like

• 2 weeks later...

There is one coles brand bacon that is sugar free, we have a butcher here that smokes it sugar free, it tastes so different. I'd still love to find a brand of coconut amino's that are compliant. I have some in the cupboard which suffice for paleo eating but not whole 30. 

• 4 months later...

Have recently returned from the USA and was spoilt with choice of compliant products. I stumbled upon Primal Kitchen' s classic mayo and chipotle and lime mayo.  I have ordered them online through iHerb and delivered promptly. They have saved me. Will look at researching Tessamae(?) Dressings too

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2017 at 1:49 PM, praxisproject said:

Hey Ryan :) I'm in Melbourne too. Dressings are toughest, I make my own mayo (macadamia oil is my favourite for flavour but I use Light Cobram olive oil sometimes too, it's a virgin but far less bitter than a green virgin olive oil, it is far more bitter than macadamia though) & sunshine sauce (Well Fed for recipe). You can get compliant bone broths here but it's much cheaper to make your own, even if your own is organic. Depending on location, you may find Cleaver's Paleo meats, but read the labels carefully, they have some non-Paleo products with similar packaging. Some products contain soy and honey (one of the Paleo ones has honey). Coles has some cheaper grass fed meats Three Island (raised near King Island), but most supermarket sausages contain some kind of flour (not compliant).

Seriously awesome organic meat from Hagan's (Prahran Market) & T.O.M.S (South Melbourne Market) if your budget can handle it (always ask about bacon, if you'll find it compliant anywhere, it'll be at one of these). TOMS also sells the Deadset Delicious Chilean Aji, which I've otherwise only found at Wholefood Merchants.

Wholefood Merchants in Ferntree Gully is huge (like a Bunnings), but lots of non-compliant stuff there too. not cheap but massive range (PHF still has some stuff they don't though).

Prahran Health Foods has some awesome stuff and very helpful staff, tell them what you like and why and that you're on Whole30, really helpful at recommending stuff, especially the big guy with the beard (usually wearing a black tshirt). Look for the frozen mango "icypoles" which are pure mango (frozen), Mojo & Remedy Kombucha (Mojo is compliant, not sure about other brands but the keg/refill brand isn't Harvest something), fresh http://nutsovermilk.com.au (in glass) and my favourite there, the Paleo Pate from Offaly Good Food (double check the label, I've not had it during a Whole30 but pretty sure it's compliant, think it used to be made with butter when released but is now made with coconut oil). http://www.offalygoodfood.com.au

I did import some Tessemae's dressings, tomato sauce and mustard (there is no local supplier), fairly sure we can't import the mayo through our customs (I didn't try):

http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

I prefer Frank's Red Hot over the Tessemae's Buffalo stuff, the tomato & bbq sauce is handy purely because I rarely eat it so I won't ever make my own. I like the zesty and southwest ranch but they're more of an American flavour to me. Generally I prefer mixing something with my mayo for dressings (easiest is Frank's Red Hot for buffalo mayo), or sunshine sauce. The mustard however has been a surprising favourite, since so many local brands aren't compliant. Louisiana also makes some nice hot sauces (I like em on Pulled Pork) which are available here, all the ones I've found are compliant but I always check labels, found in quite odd places from supermarkets to Big W (sometimes in a "gift pack" of 8 hot sauces - all Louisiana brand).

If it's close to you, La Manna (north/west ish) sells lots of compliant stuff, but going there is more painful than waiting in lines at VicRoads or Christmas shopping at Chadstone on Christmas Eve as the demand far outstrips the store's size, leading to grouchy people and excessive wasting of time.

I can vouch for the Tessemae dressings are terrific. Also check out Primal Kitchens for their avocado oil mayo and chipotle lime mayo.  They are a game changer.  Ordered mine online with iHerb and Amazon sell them too.  I'm struggling to find compliant bacon in Melb east can anyone help with suggestions.  

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have been looking at doing a Whole30 for a while now (following lots of Whole30ers on Instagram). How have you all gone on your Whole30 rounds in Australia with sourcing ingredients and prep? Would love tips on where to get started, things you have found helpful etc. 

Thanks in advance!

Fi

• 3 months later...

Hi, my husband and I have just started Whole30. We are on day 3 currently and I just went and did a big grocery shop yesterday. There is sugar in everything :( And I couldn't find any compliant bacon, I'm determined though so I'll be asking around at my local butchers for sure. I'm also documenting my meals on my Instagram @stayathomekitchen if anyone wants to check it out :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all, another Aussie here. I'm lucky enough to have a well established hobby making bacon and other charcuteries along with sausages, so that's not bothering me much, as I can quite easily make them compliant (maybe I should go into business!).

This thread is great though, because I'm looking for ideas to keep meals interesting :)

Archived