Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stumbled across a description of Porchetta (not specific to that brand), it's a loin wrapped in the fatty skin, the loin makes nice slices, while the skin makes it moist. I wouldn't eat it raw/cold though, the fatty layer would be a bit weird and gummy I think.

Is your Maharajah one liquid? Mine's rock solid and in a big plastic bucket (like the ones they use for giant honey buckets).

I like the mae ploy curry pastes. They come in a sachet and are super easy to use! I think only one of the flavours has sugar. The downside is they are pretty high in salt.

I found some nice tuna at aldi. They have a 125g tin which is perfect for me.

I've been wanting some bacon or similar to add to some meals, but couldn't find anything compliant. Then today I found some proscuitto that is only pork and salt! I can't wait to try it. I got this from woolworths

The Mae ploy containers are big but you just dump the sachet out into the tub and they last for aaaaages in the fridge.

Aldi has prosciutto that is only pork and salt too and is so yummy plus their raw cashews (which I roast in coconut oil for salads) are the cheapest I've found.

Be careful of some of the smoked salmon brands at woollies as I accidentally bought one with sugar.

The Mae ploy containers are big but you just dump the sachet out into the tub and they last for aaaaages in the fridge.

Aldi has prosciutto that is only pork and salt too and is so yummy plus their raw cashews (which I roast in coconut oil for salads) are the cheapest I've found.

Be careful of some of the smoked salmon brands at woollies as I accidentally bought one with sugar.

So this prosciutto? Where abouts in aldi will I find it? : )

I may have missed it - but has anyone been able to find coconut aminos without sugar? I'm off to find some ghee tomorrow. I have discovered sauerkraut and pretty much having it each day (sourced it from Leo's - they had one brand that was just cabbage and salt).

Cpb it's pricey here but you want the coconut secret coconut aminos, NOT the coconut amino sauce that I've seen a few times as that has coconut sap in it.

In the other 'AUSTRALIANS' thread I've offered to bring aminos back from LA on my weekly trips and they work out to be about $10 per bottle. There is an online store in Brisbane selling it for $20 a bottle - yikes!!

I've never seen Mae Ploy, does it come in a jar? I get Thai Gourmet.

I buy it in sachets from a big greengrocers in chadstone, so I guess any grocer with an international food section or asian supermarket would have it. I've also seen it in tubs (which make 40! serves...and given that I'm a wimp and use 2/3 serves...) at Thomas Dux for $6

Not long after I bought it I read in a food article on the gaurdian website that thai chefs recommend it as being the most authentic! yay!

Cpb it's pricey here but you want the coconut secret coconut aminos, NOT the coconut amino sauce that I've seen a few times as that has coconut sap in it.

In the other 'AUSTRALIANS' thread I've offered to bring aminos back from LA on my weekly trips and they work out to be about $10 per bottle. There is an online store in Brisbane selling it for $20 a bottle - yikes!!

Rara1982 what is the on line store? I have been looking for coconut aminos here for almost 12 months, I've just ordered some from Amazon, took ages because not all sellers ship to Australia. I miss soy sauce.

Archived