Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen one, but I've heard they eat them in the Phillipines, so I always have a look in the asian grocers. No luck yet. I still hold out hope though, as I have finally found spaghetti squash!

I get excited at the brown nashi pears lol they look a bit like them from a distance

i made spaghetti squash the other night for the first time. to be honest i probably prefer zoodles with my spag bol but it was interesting and fun to make. when i compared the size of them here vs LA though i was amazed. ours are HUGE! way too much for two people! my poor boyfriend didnt really like it and he knows he will be forcefed it for the next few days til its gone haha!

I second the Mae Ploy pastes, they're great! They come in a sachet. Also Herbie's spices does a whole lot of amazing spice mixes such as Laksa, tandoori, korma, butter chicken etc etc that it's really difficult to find compliant pastes for. www.herbies.com.au.

Oh and the meat boutique has free range bacon, he says it's cured with salt only (no nitrates). Hopefully he's telling the truth, I haven't noticed my blood sugar change from eating it anyway hehe (I'm diabetic).

www.themeatboutique.com.au

Hi all, I am on Day 14 today - and have been frantically reading and searching for a coconut venue to get everything - and I am pleased to say I haev found it. If anyone can get to Warriewood - on the Northern Beaches. there is an organic market there every Friday and a whole stall dedicated to pure coconut products. I managed to acquire coconut virgin oil, coconut aminos, coconut flakes, coconut water and coconut butter for a fraction of the price of others and the labels say they are pure with nothing added. Also the market has a stall purely dedicated to Grass fed meats. My best find of the day. I haev a freezer full now. I also would be interested to hear if anyone has purchased the big meats for cutting yourself.

Thanks

Rara1982 what is the on line store? I have been looking for coconut aminos here for almost 12 months, I've just ordered some from Amazon, took ages because not all sellers ship to Australia. I miss soy sauce.

I use www.iherb.com for all of my coconut products (inc aminos) and many supplements. They ship to AU within 3 business days or so and the shipping is extremely reasonable (around $8.50 or so.) I also have a discount code you can use: WEJ137 for $10 off orders over $40 or $5 if less than $40.

I'm in Vic, for meat I use www.thefarmersmarket.com.au and organic produce from www.organicorigins.com.au.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there, can anyone recommend compliant chicken, beef or veggie stock. I sometimes make my own, but would like to have some on hand for when I've been short on time. Ta

I'm yet to find one. I began making my own broth in the slow cooker and used that instead. By topping up with water, I can leave it simmering and therefore have it on hand for days.

For anyone who buys frozen berries, some have recently been tested and contained pesticides banned in Australia. They're off my shopping list now, even the organic ones as the only organic brand I found was one of the contaminated ones and the country of origin is the same for both. [update: the stores seem to be dealing with whatever this was - labelling has changed and more stores selling organic frozen berries]

I know the Berry King sells frozen berries locally, but not sure if they're organic.

Was checking stock on the weekend, and there's an organic brand, that I can't for the life of me remember the name of, but it's in a white pouch in the health food aisle of Coles/Woolies - it's pretty exy though - $8 on special for 500ml.

Also, for anyone on Sydney's North Shore, About Life at Cammeray have coconut aminos - they also have a store at Rozelle and Bondi, so assume they'd stock it there too (they also do an amazing cacao chai latte that's compliant if you are happy with almond milk).

They doooo??? Cacao chai latte?? OMG I am so there. And yes the stock is called Stock Merchant or something from memory? I've never bought it because I'd rather spend that $8 on 1 kg of organic chicken drumsticks and make my own plus have some yummy chicken to eat. I agree, make stock in the slow cooker and freeze it, it's so easy. Also stock made from prawn shells/heads takes about 15 mins and there's no annoying fat to skim off. If your recipe can cope with a bit of a fishy taste that's another option.

And use coconut aminos instead of stock in an emergency!

Praxisproject, are the organic berries you're talking about the ones from Woollies? Oob or something I think the brand is? I hope not :(

The cacao chai latte is the bomb. Seriously. Not a drop of sugar in it (I emailed and asked, plus you can buy the powder in the store), and it's so delicious.

Yes, Stock Merchant sounds right - it's white with a picture of a chicken on it (or a cow, if you get beef stock). I need to attempt stock again - I made it once years ago and stuffed it up and haven't been keen to try again. I should put my big girl pants on and give it a second go though.

I think the berries she's referring to are the Creative Gourmet Organic range - there was an expose on Today Tonight or one of those shows, about berries and pesticides (I didn't see it personally). But, Nanna's brand was deemed to be ok (they're the ones that come in the 1kg bags).

Ah good, love my frozen blueberries :) Can't wait to try the chai latte!

My stock is so boring now, I just throw all my leftover bones in the slow cooker, cover with water and a bit of vinegar to draw out the calcium, and turn it off when I get around to it. I don't bother with onions or anything else most of the time, I figure I'm going to add all the flavour later on in the actual dish. So do it! Easy peasy :)

Bad news - I just found out the almond milk they use in the latte is sweetened with rice malt syrup. At least it's not cane sugar. Now I have to contemplate restarting (which isn't a big deal as I was planning on continuing past the 30 days anyway.

Ok I might see if I can get a chicken carcass from the butcher and make me some stock (I can't just buy a whole chicken and roast it cos it kind of freaks me out eating meat off the bone - drumsticks push me to the limit).

The free range butcher has a stall at the North Sydney markets this weekend so I'm going to stock up on a bit of quality meat too - going to give osso buco a go.

Hi there, can anyone recommend compliant chicken, beef or veggie stock. I sometimes make my own, but would like to have some on hand for when I've been short on time. Ta

Ok I might see if I can get a chicken carcass from the butcher and make me some stock (I can't just buy a whole chicken and roast it cos it kind of freaks me out eating meat off the bone - drumsticks push me to the limit).

Chicken stock is super-easy to make, and it freezes well and defrosts in the microwave quickly.

I use the bones from a roasted chicken (and pre-whole30 I've used BBQ chicken bones & leftovers), but you can roast a chicken 'frame' (my local Coles sells free-range chicken frames). I put the bones in a medium sized saucepan, (barely) cover with water, bring to the boil and then simmer for about half an hour. You can add peppercorns, and peelings/ends from tomatoes, celery, carrot etc if you like but I rarely do.

I seive everything as soon as it is cool enough not to burn myself. Occasionally I reduce it some more after that. Then chuck it in the fridge or freezer. Too easy!

Archived