Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if this is just a local trend (Melbourne), but a lot of new fresh nut milks are appearing, some are activated, some not. Supply seems to be a bit flaky, but the quality seems to be excellent and none of the new ones I've seen have anything but nuts and water! \o/

Hey Guys, I am new to this and starting my first whole 30 on Monday 1st of September. I have slowly been stocking up and trying out whole 30 ingredients. I bought Coconut Oil the other day. So just to be sure, I would use this to cook with, instead of say Olive Oil, or those nasty vegetable oils? I grilled some chicken with it, which tasted nice. Wasn't the hugest fan of the smell, but I guess I'll get used to it.

I am going to check out my local farmers market this weekend to hopefully get most of my veggies and fruit for my first week, I think they have free range eggs there too!

I remember reading about coconut aminos in the book, but will have to go back and remind myself what they're all about. 

Also, I am going to go to the the butcher to pick up some bones to make a bone broth over the weekend. Are there certain types I should use? Don't want them to give me dog bones ;-)

Yep, coconut oil can make your house stink, but it tastes good :). Use it for frying, baking sweet potatoes (yum!), eating...

Coconut aminos are a soy sauce replacement - I've never tried it because it's $12 a bottle and I don't use soy sauce very often normally anyway.

Re: bones - "dog bones" are still bones! It all comes form the same animal :). You could just cook a roast and then use the bone afterwards to make stock, if you don't want to buy them specifically.

We have a new juice bar in Hobart that does nut milks too! Australia is getting cool you guys! 

I had a coffee in Denmark, WA (ie. tiny town in the middle of nowhere!) with hazelnut milk and it was amazing. I'd never had hazelnut milk before, gave the coffee a great taste.

Thanks GoJo09! Your responses were very helpful. Yes, I think I'll survive without the Coconut Aminos for now then.

I have my bone broth on the stove as we speak, though I'm lucky I had a pot big enough!

I purchased some coconut milk and coconut cream from my Go VIta store today, they were $3 and $4 a can respectively for 400ml cans. It is the Spiral Organic brand. This seems really expensive to me though. Anywhere I can get it cheaper? Or brands anyone can recommend? Thanks heaps. 

I buy TCC coconut milk from woolworths for $1.50, it has only one additive, citric acid. I pour it into a Tupperware shake container and keep it in the fridge and give it a quick shake before use... I buy chicken thighs to use for my soups. I cut some of the meat off to pan fry and cook the rest with carrot sand beans in water until the meat falls off the bone.

AussieMell - For bones, ones with joints, marrow and cartilage will make more jellyish bone broth (the best kind). If you have bones left over from dinners, pop them in a bag in the freezer and add them to a future both broth batch, cooked bones give extra flavour (I'm too lazy to roast them, I just add the dinner ones if I have any - raw ones work fine). Some places also sell "chicken frames" which make a lovely chicken bone broth for soups. If you have a slow cooker, it's really handy for bone broth. I have a giant one I got at a sale, all I use it for is bone broth, it's gigantic!

For coconut oil, the brands can vary quite a lot. I buy the Melrose virgin coconut oil from Coles (they also have a refined one, but I don't like it at all). I also buy the Loving Earth coconut oil, but it's so sweet tasting I don't cook meat in it, it tastes funny. Ghee is another option if a dish doesn't seem like it will go well with coconut.

I buy my Ayam Coconut Cream and Coconut Milk (avoid the Light one) from Coles. I wait until it's on special and then I buy as many cans as they have :D The Ayam ones are smaller can sizes, so the only pain is for recipes which use the larger size. I love thai curries made with Ayam, so good! If I can't get Ayam, I get TCC. American recipes which refer to it thickening in the fridge are using brands which have guar gum, which most of our brands do not have. Once opened, I keep it in a washed Moccona coffee jar (I buy the small sized ones), as I discovered these can go through the dishwasher. Plain Moccona coffee is made just with coffee beans, no fillers.

Coconut Secret coconut aminos (never the Niulife - many of us wasted money buying the sugar-laden one) I use in place of soy sauce. It's not quite as salty, so taste to check if more salt is required. I don't use it that much, but I like having it as a lot of American recipes use it and soy sauce / coconut aminos is a hard ingredient to replace.

Oh and for the new Aussies, this is a great fallback to keep in the freezer for veggie emergencies: http://birdseye.com.au/our-range/frozen-vegetables/stir-fry/shanghai-500g

If I need to whip up something in a hurry, these are great for a thai curry, just add thai curry paste (Aroy D has four compliant pastes) meat (or egg strips), coconut milk or cream.

AussieMell - For bones, ones with joints, marrow and cartilage will make more jellyish bone broth (the best kind). If you have bones left over from dinners, pop them in a bag in the freezer and add them to a future both broth batch, cooked bones give extra flavour (I'm too lazy to roast them, I just add the dinner ones if I have any - raw ones work fine). Some places also sell "chicken frames" which make a lovely chicken bone broth for soups. If you have a slow cooker, it's really handy for bone broth. I have a giant one I got at a sale, all I use it for is bone broth, it's gigantic!

For coconut oil, the brands can vary quite a lot. I buy the Melrose virgin coconut oil from Coles (they also have a refined one, but I don't like it at all). I also buy the Loving Earth coconut oil, but it's so sweet tasting I don't cook meat in it, it tastes funny. Ghee is another option if a dish doesn't seem like it will go well with coconut.

I buy my Ayam Coconut Cream and Coconut Milk (avoid the Light one) from Coles. I wait until it's on special and then I buy as many cans as they have :D The Ayam ones are smaller can sizes, so the only pain is for recipes which use the larger size. I love thai curries made with Ayam, so good! If I can't get Ayam, I get TCC. American recipes which refer to it thickening in the fridge are using brands which have guar gum, which most of our brands do not have. Once opened, I keep it in a washed Moccona coffee jar (I buy the small sized ones), as I discovered these can go through the dishwasher. Plain Moccona coffee is made just with coffee beans, no fillers.

Coconut Secret coconut aminos (never the Niulife - many of us wasted money buying the sugar-laden one) I use in place of soy sauce. It's not quite as salty, so taste to check if more salt is required. I don't use it that much, but I like having it as a lot of American recipes use it and soy sauce / coconut aminos is a hard ingredient to replace.

I keep my coconut cream in a Moccona jar too - I have dozens of different sizes for all my baking ingredients because that's what they drink at work :). I buy the large Ayam cans of coconut cream though - although maybe I'd be more frugal with it if i were using the small cans.

Hi all,

I just started a Whole30 today, and am excited to find this thread and other Aussies doing it this month too (I am from Canberra). I found out about Whole30 through Instagram (The Merrymaker Sisters) plus I have a friend who has completed a Whole30 previously.

I just need to make sure my bacon is sugar free (or find an alternative), & find out whether I can continue having kombucha or not, and getting a handle on 'snacking'.

Oh, and in amongst all that stuff, I didn't say that I find Honest to Goodness has some good products, either buying online, or they sell their brand in Supabarns. Sorry, I didn't get to read the rest of this thread yet, so apologies if this has been mentioned! I will probably find the answer to my questions when I actually read through it all too! :)

Tamari almonds are a personal demon of mine! Thankfully they're out for a W30 anyway :).

Bacon - I've never seen a compliant one, but you can get panchetta if you want to pay that much.

Kombucha is fine.

Did you give up coffee because you didn't want to drink it black? Or for some other reason? Because I drink it with coconut cream every day. (Not saying you have to drink it, just wondering.)

Hi GoJo09, yes, those Tamari almonds are evil. :)

I am going to ask our butcher what his has in it. It is free range ppork, and they smoke it themselves. Crossing my fingers he says it doesn't have sugar!

I make my own kombucha, and drink small amounts every couple of days, more as tonic, than as an actual drink, if that makes sense!

Coffee, yeah, I usually have it white, but it tends to flair up my skin issues!

praxisproject - I cackled when I saw your comment above. We do the exact same thing at our local Woolworths with coconut cream too!

Bec PM - welcome to a wonderful club! Good luck with your Whole30 and touch base if you need any support. If you'd like any tea recommendations, feel free to PM me. I work for a Tasmanian tea company, and there are lots of options if you'd like something that's not water but still compliant.

Archived