1st Round--Starting 05/15/18

Tee Bui

Great! How is everyone doing so far?

To be honest, I am so missing potato chips, snacks, candies,  and soft drinks at the moment. It is only Day 2!!

Maybe it would be great if we told each other why we are starting the Whole30?

For me, I started to break out in hives earlier this year. I think part of it was personal and professional stress. But, I also realized it would popped up after eating certain foods.

Later on, I had digestive problems when I ate most foods.

So, I guess I am doing the Whole30 to do a reset with my eating habits, although I know I wont stick with it forever. However, I am adamant about finishing it fpr 30 days to see if I feel any changes.

What about you guys?

I started 5/14, so it's day 3 for me. 

Here's my why:

• I know I have food sensitivities. I figured that out the first time I did the whole30, but I never really finished my reintroduction, and I didn't work to make the habits stick. So I want to do a very detailed reintro to figure out my sensitivities.
  • Recently I've had a lot of gut issues that I'm just sick of honestly.
  • My body has just felt swollen lately. I've had a lot of swelling in my hands and feet, and my whole body just feels bloated.
  • I don't know my exact weight, but I know I'm heavier than I've ever been (at least 220lbs). 
  • I want to feel good in my skin.
  • I want to stop getting stressed out about shopping or going somewhere that requires me to buy a new piece of clothing.
  • Heartburn
  • The fog after so many meals, usually with a lot of grains, particularly rice.
  • I've struggled with depression for a while now, and I'm hoping to see a lift in that, as I'd love to get off my meds.

I'm sure there are more. That's just what came to mind. :) 

Me too!  First time, started 5/15.  I'm already finding things that confuse me and am just looking around the forums.

I started because I have struggled my whole life to find and maintain a healthy weight.  I recently (over the course of a year) lost about 15 pounds and got down to a weight I was happy at, but it crept back up over another year.  Not all back, but a lot.  I could do it again (I sure have before) but I realize I rely on snacking and mostly on sugar or carb oriented foods and they really have a lot of control over me.  I run every day (I have a running streak of 578 days of at least one mile a day, but I typically run (starting with a Monday) 5, 4, 3, 5, 2, 10, 3 miles for around 30ish miles a week) and I use that as an excuse to not have an ideal diet.  It's not terrible, but I'm relying on fruit and processed foods to get me through my day.  I am seeing a lot of swelling in my ankles I didn't see for the first year and a half of daily running and it would be awesome if that improved.  I've kind of topped out at my current running speed and I know I could be faster if I lost and kept off the weight.

But if I'm 100% honest, it's mostly the mental issue.  I don't have a healthy relationship with food and I don't want to pass that down to my kids.  That's what spoke to me most about the program.

How is everyone doing so far?

It's Day 5 for me. I have already noticed a reduction in the swelling I've been experiencing. I had a random burst of energy last night which was amazing after being SO sleepy the last few days. I'm still very tired today and am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow. 

My husband starts on Sunday!

Hi Everyone ! Sorry for the late response.

It is Day 8 for me. Just to tell you the truth, I am tired ALL THE TIME. I really cannot get out of bed and I have a bit of back pain. My brain is foggy and I started to get a bit of a migraine since yesterday. I am glad that I am not working at the moment and I don't have kids, because I honestly don't know how I can survive this if I did! The weather is soo nice outside but I cannot get out of my bed.

I am starting to have Spiderman sensing powers when it comes to what other people are eating....everything I never craved for are all I think about now.

There are some good news: I have steadily lost some weight and the really bad digestive problems that I had for 2 weeks went away after Day 2.

But still...I am super tired.

How is everyone else doing?

Hi!  I'm on Day 4 of my 1st round.  On day 1, my family had a get together with tons of amazing Italian foods that I love very much and I didn't touch one bit of it, despite my mouth watering.  Since then, I've hosted my nephews birthday party, turning away from cake, candies, popcorn and fried foods, then I went to a movie last night without sneaking in a snack and only bought a big bottle of water at the concessions stand.  

Today I woke up energized, which hasn't happened for me in a LONG time.  I got a workout and shower in before leaving for work.  I ate my pre-workout meal, post-workout meal and then breakfast when I finally did get to work.  I clearly need to adjust my meals because I've been very hungry for the last hour.  I'm going to heat up my lunch in a minute, but I've been telling myself I have to wait until at least 11:30 before I dive into it.  

Tee Bui - The Spidey Senses are tingling for me, too!  My boss was eating a sub in front of me yesterday and my stomach didn't care what was on the sandwich, it just wanted to eat it!  

How is everyone doing?  I'm at day 14 today.  I definitely have hit the mental challenge.  This weekend was very hard as everyone around  me was eating stuff I would normally partake in for a holiday, but I stayed strong and I think it wiped out my mental reserves.  I'm seriously craving ice cream, although I'm also seeing some benefits and my running strength seems to be starting to return (I lost pretty much all my speed the last two weeks).  How is everyone else today?

This weekend was rough for me, as well.  I'm on Day 11.  My family is very supportive, so that was very helpful, but watching everyone else eat cheese on their burgers and then cake...my body was ANNNNNGRY!  I'm pretty sure I had a full blown withdrawal episode Sunday night after a cookout.  Fever, sweats, upset stomach, light headedness.  I went to bed at 7pm and woke up on Monday feeling better.  It was so weird, but I fought through it.  

It's great that you're able to see the benefits while struggling.  It can be very helpful.  

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply. It is Day 21 for me. I am not having an sort of energy meltdown as before, and I am glad it is over. Actually, it lasted only  a few hours.

At the moment, I lost a lot of sugar cravings and I have been coasting through the last few days. It is getting pretty easy now.

I have only 2 main problems at the moment: 1) dinner fatigue and 2) traveling.

I don't really like the recipes in the book, and I just end up eating the same go-to dishes. I've been getting bored of them.

Also, I limit my traveling because of the Whole30. I do not like the idea of traveling to Italy or France and not being able to eat the local foods there.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:27 AM, Tee Bui said:

Also, I limit my traveling because of the Whole30. I do not like the idea of traveling to Italy or France and not being able to eat the local foods there.

Have you read Food Freedom Forever?  I was daunted by the travel issue (I travel a fair bit for work to places where I don't speak the language and have no clue what I'm eating half the time) but I'm finding it extremely helpful understanding where to go from here, and how this isn't how you eat forever.  

I have a week to go (we're doing 31 days, because May 15 to June 15 just makes more sense and I apparently can't count days) and I finally am feeling like I can workout close to where I was before - I was still really sluggish in running up until 2 days ago.  But I went out yesterday and today and felt more normal.  And I'm definitely seeing some NSV - my skin is actually clearer, my ankle swelling is still gone and I feel like my wrists and fingers are thinner (?)  That's a weird one, but I'll take it I guess.  It's gone a lot faster than I thought and has been no where near as challenging as I was afraid.  I recognize areas I still need to work on - I still want something after dinner some days and I need to not give in (even if I'm just giving into carrot sticks, I think it's still an emotional habit, not true hunger), but I've entirely eliminated the need for a 3 pm snack, which is awesome.  We've had some tricky days - a meeting that ran three hours long so I didn't eat lunch until 3 pm yesterday, resulting in a headache and being starving the rest of the day and getting stuck out of the house without sufficient food, but I find that while I'm hungry it's not as debilitating as it used to me.  I can still function.

Hope you're doing well - consider the Food Freedom Forever read.  

Hello Everyone,

How is everyone holding up?

Thanks shandrananette for the recommendation. I will look it up.

It is  a few more days and I will finish the Whole30. I lost so much of my cravings that I am a bit scared of eating sugary sweets again and become so dependent on it like before.

Yes, now I do have more energy and my hives and digestive problems are gone. I am actually thinking about adjusting my eating habits after this. I Just have to do some research and see what works for me.

I am so glad I did this, and I am glad I got support from you guys  !

I'm on day 27 and I don't remember ever loving life as much as I love it now.  I just feel amazing!  I was worried about the reintroduction phase, too, because I used to have the biggest sweet tooth.  But I feel so great and confident, that I know I'll be able to have self control when I do indulge occasionally, and I have the will power to keep it occasional.  

My daughter and I are going to upstate NY next month to visit family, and then we're spending a day in NYC on our way back to NC.  Last week, I was convinced that I was going to extend my Whole30 so that I didn't get thrown off track by all of the delicious food back home.  And then it clicked.  This is my new relationship with food.  A relationship where I'm in control, not the food.  I don't HAVE to eat anything that I know is going to make me feel awful and kill my positive attitude and confidence.  I've already decided which food items I'll splurge on while I'm there visiting.  I really enjoy eating along the Whole30 guidelines, so for me, it's going to be the basis of every meal.  The difference is that I can eat whatever the heck I want to because I'll be done with Whole30 by then, but now i don't even want that food.  Chicken Riggies just sound like a stomach ache that I'm not interested in enduring.  But a Halfmoon and a slice of Tony's Pizza?  I'll deal with the effects after eating just one of each of those!  You just can't find pizza in NC like you can in Utica, NY!!!  And Halfmoons are so much different here than they are there.  So yes, my food freedom includes those items while I'm on vacation, but it doesn't include eating half a pizza or half dozen halfmoons!  

Are you taking the fast track or the slow track with reintroduction?  I'm going to go the slow route, and start with cheese!!  I've wanted to add goat cheese to so many of my Whole30 dishes, I really hope it doesn't have a negative impact on my body when I bring it back in.

I'm on day 31 today - it was more convenient to start reintroduction tomorrow (and I forgot May has 31 days).  So I will weigh myself tomorrow, but I just discovered over the 30 days my resting heart rate came down from 46-48 to 41-43 over the last two weeks.  That is fun!  It's not something that I was concerned about (I've always had a weirdly low resting heart rate) but that is a dramatic change!  I've had a bunch of other nonscale victories, but my favorite might be not needing a 3 pm snack,  It is a huge relief to just be full after lunch and not have to worry about whether I was going to stuck in meetings without access to a snack.  Oh, actually maybe it's the fact that my right ankle is no longer twice the size of my left, but that happened really fast (like, by day 4) so I'm enjoying some novel changes that only kicked in the last two weeks.

We're doing the 10 day reintro because there are some things we really want to know about - especially legumes (we use black beans in a lot of our foods, we have discovered).  But I'm so pleased with the results and am committed to finding food freedom that works.  I think I likely have a few more pounds to lose, but if I can do it without being starving all the time I'm so excited.

Archived