I don't want to eat

Today is day 9 of my second Whole30 (made it to day 25 the first time, so close enough) and I can honestly say I don't want any food anymore. I don't even want sugar. I'm to the point where if I could live without eating, I'd do it. I have cravings, but I don't even know what they're for. They're not for sugar because every time I think about eating sugar I get nauseous. I just don't know what to do. It's like I HATE food. Like I literally don't want to deal with food. I don't want to go grocery shopping, I don't want to cook, I don't want to eat,  I don't even want to think about food anymore. What is going on?

• Moderators

This does happen sometimes. First, remember that it is important to eat, so even if you don't want to, be sure to have something to eat, three times a day.

If you don't want to think about food at all, it might be good to have stuff that's easy to prepare, like burger patties, compliant rotisserie chicken if your grocery store has such a thing, compliant hot dogs or sausages, along with precut or even frozen vegetables, and easy to grab fat sources like olives, premade guacamole, or if you can find compliant mayo or salad dressings. This way you're minimizing the amount of time you spend on food prep.

Another option could even be going out for a meal if there's anyplace near you that could work.

Alternately, if you feel like this might be more that you're bored with your food and every meal just feels the same, now might be a good time to try something new and different. Change up the seasonings on foods you fix a lot, or find a recipe that looks appealing.  I love browsing Mel Joulwan's site for inspiration:  https://meljoulwan.com/recipes-index/, but there are plenty of other places on the internet to find Whole30 recipes as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue: I feel sick especially in the mornings, I'm nauseous. I cooked a delicious butternut squash soup yesterday and when I tried it I felt like I could eat this forever. However, when I was suppose to eat it for breakfast today, I just couldn't, I felt disgusted kind of from the food I thought is wonderful just 12 hours ago.

I'm on Day 5. I don't have cravings, although I could always eat fruit. Actually this is what I eat in the morning, when I get nauseous from everything else.

This is my second round of Whole30 and the same thing happened the first time. Why is this happening?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Zsuzsi said:

I have a similar issue: I feel sick especially in the mornings, I'm nauseous. I cooked a delicious butternut squash soup yesterday and when I tried it I felt like I could eat this forever. However, when I was suppose to eat it for breakfast today, I just couldn't, I felt disgusted kind of from the food I thought is wonderful just 12 hours ago.

I'm on Day 5. I don't have cravings, although I could always eat fruit. Actually this is what I eat in the morning, when I get nauseous from everything else.

This is my second round of Whole30 and the same thing happened the first time. Why is this happening?

Hi @Zsuzsi - this is often a classic sign of your hormones being out of balance. Being able to eat only sweet things in the morning without nausea is pretty common in people that normally eat sweets for breakfast or people that don't eat breakfast at all regularly. Unfortunately the only way to past is through. In order to train yourself to eat protein, veggies and fat in the morning, you have to practice eating protein, veggies and fat in the morning. Make your meal, something you think would be palatable (chicken salad over salad or veggies is often successful for people) and then eat as much as you can. Once you're done, put it aside and eat it again as soon as you feel able, not waiting for the next meal time. This is the way through. :) 

Thank you for the answer!

The truth is, even before my second round of Whole 30, I ate mostly gluten, diary and sugar (any kind of sweetener really) free since I have insulin resistance, sugary breakfast (or any kind of meal) is a big no no for me. I usually had a lot of veggies, avocado cream and gf bread for breakfast, and wasn't able to skip that first meal ever. As opposed to now, when I'm sitting at my desk, feeling super hungry, yet thinking about my delicious soup and feel sick/nauseous. :(

It almost feels like my brain wants to protest against healthy food. :)

I'll try to push through it and force myself to eat my breakfast, if that's the solution. Hope it gets better.

Archived