Living with Non-Whole30'ers

Ack! My husband and I are on Day 3, and we live with my husband's mother & grandmother. I am feeling good and have not had a ton of negative side effects, but does it get easier having people who are not on Whole30 around?? MIL wanted to try W30 with us, but decided a few days before we started that it wasn't the right time for her, and then yesterday they came home with a cheese danish for 'them' and a huge angel food cake for 'us' because it has no fat!?! LOL. I am trying to help them understand why we are doing it and what we can/can't eat, but it's definitely been a struggle getting them on board with our decision. Any suggestions on making the transition easier for them (and ultimately, for us)?

3 hours ago, bkruse said:

Ack! My husband and I are on Day 3, and we live with my husband's mother & grandmother. I am feeling good and have not had a ton of negative side effects, but does it get easier having people who are not on Whole30 around?? MIL wanted to try W30 with us, but decided a few days before we started that it wasn't the right time for her, and then yesterday they came home with a cheese danish for 'them' and a huge angel food cake for 'us' because it has no fat!?! LOL. I am trying to help them understand why we are doing it and what we can/can't eat, but it's definitely been a struggle getting them on board with our decision. Any suggestions on making the transition easier for them (and ultimately, for us)?

Talk to them about it when they ask, or when an incident like the angel food cake confusion (lol) comes up - otherwise I would just keep on making your delicious meals and reaping all the benefits! Whenever I am with a group of people not doing a w30, I always offer to cook or bring the food. That's probably a lot for you to do ALL the time, but it makes it less awkward to have to tell someone how and what you can eat, and you can totally make a meal that's perfect for you! And that everyone else will enjoy.

When I did my first w30, I got lots of comments about my "weird diet", but now 4 years later, I live a mostly w30 lifestyle and all my family and friends know about it (and some have done it themselves) so it's definitely less uncomfortable now! Good luck!!

Archived