Veggie Help

The only veggie my husband likes is onions. Maybe green beans with bacon. Raw, fried, steamed, roasted - no go.  An occasional salad, maybe. How do I get veggies in him?  He realizes he needs them, but can’t bring himself to eat them. Am I just fighting a losing battle?

• Moderators

It's not your responsibility to make him like vegetables. He is an adult, he knows he needs to eat them, he has to work on making that change, and unless he's truly invested in that, it's not going to happen. Some people have aversions that they cannot conquer on their own, and there are counselors or therapists who can help with that.

You can keep cooking vegetables and eating vegetables, and putting them on the table in front of him and encouraging him to try them. You can try to get him involved -- show him recipes and ask which ones sound good or ask him to search for recipes or take him to the grocery store and ask him to pick vegetables that look interesting to him.  You can occasionally hide vegetables in other foods -- chopped vegetables in hamburger patties or meatballs, or make marinara sauce with vegetables (you can run it through a blender or food processor to hide the chunky bits if that helps), things like that. Google something like "hiding vegetables" for tips. 

Archived