I'm hungry and want cake!

Today is day 1 of my Whole 30. It was suppose to be day 17, but stupid people cooked my shrimp in soybean oil and now I'm back to square one. I know it's not really day one, because I've learned about meal prepping and reading labels. But it's REALLY discouraging and I'm having a terrible day at work and I just want to eat CAKE.

I didn't even feel any tiger blood on my day 16. I also gave up caffeine at the start of my Whole30 to help me sleep better at night. I was sleeping well, but the past few days I've been so tired I can't even wake up and keep hitting the snooze button.

I probably need to eat more. I'm eating a lot of fruit because it's in season now, but I noticed that I binge eat on it, especially right when I come home from work.

How can I change my eating habit when I get home from work at night? (sometimes midnight) I pack a lunch!

How can I get more energy?

HOW CAN I StAY MOTIVATED FOR 30 MORE DAYS?

• Moderators

I think the first thing to do is increase your meals so you're eating to the higher end of the template... fruit is fine and when it's in season we generally eat more of it than when it is not, but it's always recommended to eat it WITH a meal, not on its own... when you conciously eat it with a meal it's a lot harder to binge on.  You've not mentioned exactly what your schedule is but if you're getting home at midnight, it's possible your schedule is such that you may need a fourth meal.  The recommendation is to eat a meal every 4-5 hours, the first being within an hour of waking.

If you would like us to take a look at your intake and see if anything stands out, give us a rundown on what you've been eating the last few days including portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, fat, fruit and protein and your meal times and we can see if there are places to tweak.

Don't eat the cake.  It won't give you peace or make you less hungry or give you more energy or any of the things you're looking for.  Cake is NOT the answer to any of this - stay strong!

My schedule is nights. So when I wake up varies between 8am-10:30aM. I eat within an hour and it’s usually 2 eggs, an avocado, an orange or a grapefruit and a banana.

Lunch is whatever and whenever I can throw something in my mouth as I’m running errands, getting ready for work. It consists of maybe 2 chicken strips, a mango, watermelon, and a hand full of nuts.

Dinners I meal prep and have 3 chicken tenders, a handful of cooked shrimp, green beans and carrots with an apple.

Then I will probably have to add a fourth meal when I get home because I get home at midnight and eat anything and everything I can.

Thanks- I didn’t eat the cake :)

• Moderators

When you have eggs as your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4. Every meal needs to have 2-3 cups of vegetables, fruit is not a substitute for vegetables, it's an extra.

I don't know how big your chicken strips are, but you probably need more than two to make them equal the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand, and a serving is 1-2 palm-sized portions. 

Your dinner doesn't mention any fat -- be sure you're adding fat to every meal, usually in addition to whatever fat you  cook in, since that often stays in the pan and may be divided among multiple servings too. 

Part of what happens on Whole30 is that you become fat-adapted. This just means that your body learns to use fat as easily as it uses carbs for energy. It's not the same as ketosis, there's no measuring carb grams or anything, but when you eat fewer carbs, and they're mostly vegetables, your body gets better at using fat. If you keep eating lots of fruit, you're making it harder for your body to make that switch. The energy that people talk about -- the tiger blood -- happens when that switch happens. Your blood sugar stays more stable throughout the day, so your energy level stays consistent throughout the day, and your moods stay even all day. You don't have to give up fruit, but definitely work on limiting it, and be sure you're eating vegetables too. 

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, hgust907 said:

I plan to add a fourth meal, and add more eggs in the morning, more fat and protein through the rest of the day. What are good examples of fat? All I can think of is avocados.

Olives, pesto, coconut products, nut products (in limited quantities) pesto, sauces, mayo, avocoado, guacamole, sundried tomato in olive oil, salad dressings, animal fats (lard, shmaltz), bacon (in moderation), olive oil, avocado oil, sesame oil (not to be heated, used for finishing), tahini etc... you can google 'whole30 fats' and get lots of previous discussions.

Archived