Started Whole 30 today! May 21, 2018

RosalindW49

Hello all,

My name is Rosalind (Roz), I started Whole 30 today. This is my 2nd time, I actually completed Whole 30 in 2016. It was challenging, but I adjusted after a couple of weeks and I felt great at the end. After finishing the challenge, I maintained clean eating for a while. One day, I ate fried chicken, and everything fell apart. I didn't really have an ext strategy for life after the 30 day challenge. I'm planning to be diligent this time and plan for future eating. I'm excited, if anyone has any advice, feel free to share. Thanks!!

Hi RosalindW49 and lacyjean

Rosalind, that is a mirror picture of me! I did a Whole30 in Feb 2016, completed it, stayed clean eating for months, and then ate LOTS of chocolate.  This totally woke up my sugar dragon and the stone I lost, slowly crept back on.  I am back on it now and in the zone. I started May 21 too.  I have already swerved around cakes at work (!) and a visit from my husband's best friend who likes to party.  It's so worth it and I do NOT want to be annoyed at myself when we go on holiday in September.  I am 5'3" and cannot carry much weight around my mid section. It has to go :angry:  Just keep posting, both of you and we can keep each other up on the down days!!

Hi SusieA and lacyjean, 

It is so good to hear that I'm not alone on this journey. I have some upcoming events and I am fully prepared to navigate around the pitfalls. One is a brunch date with a good friend and the evening date is with a former coworker. Both of these friends are accustomed to me consuming alcohol and not caring about the foods I shove in my mouth. The brunch date will be fine, because we normally consume mimosas, but I'll just skip the champagne. But, the evening date was originally scheduled as "drinks". I'm planning for waters with limes, so it looks like a drink. Please send good vibes my way for these Saturday dates! Thanks !!! Roz

You know what Rosalind, after the dates are over, you will have enjoyed yourself as much (well....90%) as much, as you usually do, and you'll be glad you did it. I met my brother's partner the other night at a gorgeous wine bar in town, where I would normally glug down half a bottle of wine, no problem.  I didn't this time though - I just ordered a LARGE bottle of sparkling water and asked for lime in it.  The few glasses of wine I would have had, would not have been worth the aggravation of ending the night feeling disappointed in myself for not sticking to the plan.  I also turned down a drink with another friend last night. I was set to go to Yoga and got a last minute call from her suggesting we ditch yoga and go for drinks instead. Normally this would be just too much of a temptation, but a) I was really tired, and didn't need wine! and b) my body needs yoga more than it needs alcohol at the moment.

Also, the thing is..................I can fall off the wagon should I choose to............AT THE END OF THE 30 DAYS!  That phrase keeps coming back to me - "It's ONLY 30 days". And it is. I'm putting much more effort into my choices for meals than I did last time. As much as I stuck to the plan 2 yrs ago, I became very bored with my meals and got into a rut. This time I'm not doing that. I've looked at loads of recipes on Pinterest and Instagram and there are so many! I'm just screen shotting them all and then having a go at some of them. I made a fish recipe last night that was absolutely awesome and unbelievably easy.  Here's to a good weekend for both of us.  Not sure where in the world you are, but we have a Bank Holiday here in the UK on Monday of next week, making this a 3 day weekend for everyone. Must avoid the pitfalls that this will bring!! :wacko:

Keep in touch :)

Hi Susie and Lacy J, I hope all is well. I survived the events along with the Memorial holiday weekend. I drank sparkling water with lime and I've become quite the expert at ordering Whole30 approved foods from the menu. I don't think I missed the alcohol, the socialization is more important. During my first Whole30, I ate the same mundane meals and made very little effort to cook. This time, I am enjoying the meal prep process and the food is delicious. I'm going to check Pinterest for some additional meal ideas. Thanks for the suggestion Susie. 

Archived