How much Fat to have in each meal

I see the portions for fat in the meal planning section. Am I supposed to just use one of those fats in tge suggestef amount or as many as I want? Do I need to have at least one fat with each meal? If I cook with a fat, should I also add a fat to the meal like avocado or nuts? Is there such thing as too much fat or too little with each meal. Thanks!

• Moderators

Generally, add at least one of those options to every meal, in addition to what you cook in.

If you added all the options to every meal, that's probably too much, but if sometimes you have more than others because it just sounds good -- for instance a salad with some  avocado and olives and dressing and a few seeds or nuts, that's fine. You're looking for your meals to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. If you're hungry two hours after eating, you didn't have enough of something, possibly fat, with the previous meal. If you're consistently not even thinking about food for six or eight hours after a meal, you might be overdoing it and may need to cut back a bit.

If I may piggy-back onto this thread, I have another question about fats (this seems like the trickiest part of Whole30 meal planning). There's no mention on the meal template of fats that are naturally occurring in the protein--for instance if you have a meat like a well-marbled steak or an oily fish like mackerel or bluefish that contains a fair amount of fat. Are we still supposed to add an additional "plated" fat in this case?

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, doubledee said:

If I may piggy-back onto this thread, I have another question about fats (this seems like the trickiest part of Whole30 meal planning). There's no mention on the meal template of fats that are naturally occurring in the protein--for instance if you have a meat like a well-marbled steak or an oily fish like mackerel or bluefish that contains a fair amount of fat. Are we still supposed to add an additional "plated" fat in this case?

Hi @doubledee - that's where you'll want to do a bit of personal experimentation. It might be enough fat at that meal depending on what your other meals have and what the rest of the meal composition looks like. Try it without and if you're starving 3 hours after you eat, you'll know you need to add a bit. Or alternately, add a plated fat and if you're stuffed and don't feel like eating for 7 hours, you'll know you could cut back when you have a fattier protein. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, doubledee said:

Thanks for the response, @ladyshanny. It's nice that despite being totally draconian in some respects, there's also some wiggle-room and flexibility in other ways on this diet!

Haha, fair statement! 

Archived