Lindsay's First Vegetarian Whole30

nofishyeseggs

Hello! 

This is my first time doing Whole30. I'm doing the regular plan but not eating meat, because my mom is sensitive to grains and legumes and I want to see how I react. 

Day 6

I'm feeling good. I expected the first week to suck more, but honestly after the first couple of days it was fine. I am amazed by how it feels to not be bloated. My diet before was VERY carb heavy (I'm a junk food vegetarian), so this is different for me. 

I love to cook, but I'm getting sick of cooking every day. I try to double and triple the recipes so we have leftovers, but we end up eating it all. I work 9-6, and I really miss being able to just pick up a pizza. I've learned to only try the fancy new recipes on the weekend. 

Eating this many eggs is challenging without cheese. I'm working on a recipe to make quiche-like muffins that have a lot of eggs with the tasty savory stuff as well. Experimenting with using more yolks than whole eggs. 

My energy level is awesome. I'm someone that is usually fatigued most of the time (probably because of my weight and diet), so it's a nice change to feel sharp. 

My anxiety level is normal, except at night. I'm struggling with insomnia a little, which I used to get very bad before I went on medication. Paying closer attention to what I eat for dinner and my activity before bed so I don't exacerbate the insomnia. I slept fine last night, and actually walked the dogs in the morning for the first time ever. 

I can't tell how much of this success is from the food and how much is from me being motivated. Normally my diets fizzle out as soon as I'm tempted, but the added support of my boyfriend and the challenge of completely eliminating foods (rather than controlling the amounts) really helps calm the urge to rationalize cheating. I haven't had cravings, which is inSANE to me. I crave all the time normally. I have an extreme emotional attachment to food, and all the symptoms of binge eating disorder, though I've never been diagnosed. 

I expected the biggest temptation to stop would be the desire for food, but that isn't the case at all. The biggest temptation is laziness. But I'm working on finding easier recipes and better ways to meal plan that fit our lifestyle. 

Here's to 24 more days! 

• 2 weeks later...

Day 15

Halfway! It's getting harder somehow, mostly because we're getting busier. My nephew was just born and we're trying to get the garden in.

I rely on easy recipes like cashew alfredo with zoodles, frozen root veggies from Whole foods, and bell pepper tacos. Everything with eggs. 

My work's salad bar is saving me, cuz I can throw in two hardboiled eggs and an avocado. 

We are relying on some crutches, like Lara bars and an easy bread recipe with Primal mayo.

I've lost a little weight, I'm sleeping better, my energy lasts longer, I don't get drowsy after lunch, my work is more focused, I can get up the stairs without huffing and puffing, my lower back pain is virtually gone, and my overall mood is improved. 

So it's a ton of work, but you get used to it, so it is totally worth it for me. Just tedious. 

Here's to the second half!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 25

All of the above is still true, except I am 10x more exhausted by cooking. I've settled on two standard recipes: bell pepper tacos and cashew alfredo with anything. I make the cashew sauce ahead of time and then use bits of it stretched out with coconut milk. Add that to eggs and veggies and whatever meat my boyfriend is eating. It's tasty, if monotonous. I know I should branch out more. I made a really good chili last night with veggies and crumbled cassava chips. 

To add to the side effects: 

• I no longer get headaches. I thought those were from lack of caffeine, but I guess not. 
  • Literally no more bloating. That's enough to sell it, honestly.
  • My fingernails are still weak and brittle, but I think that takes longer to see an effect. 
  • Coffee works better. My caffeine highs are frightening now. I've gotten more done at work in the last 25 days than the last 3 months, and I was already working hard. 

And we found a restaurant we can eat at in Milwaukee! It's called Bowls. They have a paleo bowl, and a roasted veggie bowl you can get if you sub out the Sriracha for their cashew sauce. It is so good. I almost cried in that restaurant, actually sitting at a table and having someone bring me hot food. I sound so spoiled, but when you work all day it's a blessing. 

With only five days left, we've started fantasizing about what our first meals will be. I'm hoping that this diet has eliminated my binge habit, though that is mostly psychological so idk. 

Here's what I've learned so far: 

• Making my own bread and mayo from scratch is ridiculously easy and yummy, if a bit expensive.
  • My cashew alfredo is miles better than my regular alfredo
  • Frozen veggies win over fresh veggies. Ain't nobody got time. 
  • You should make sure cauliflower doesn't make you gassy before you buy 6 heads of it.
  • Feeling tired or still hungry? Just add eggs. At this point they aren't food to me, they are a food supplement. 
  • I miss alcohol. I love wine. I love beer. I love socially drinking. 
  • Root veggies are bae. 
  • Raw unsalted almonds are cocaine.
  • I hate talking about dieting. I've told very few people because it becomes all we talk about. 

Here's to 5 more days (toasts with La Croix). I will pay $3 for someone to induce a 5-day coma. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never bought frozen veggies until recently.  I think the cauliflower rice and squash work.  The green beans and mushrooms didn't.  Frozen spinach is gross. Juries still out on the Brussels sprouts but I was influenced by their bitterness so perhaps next time they will be better.  The ones that work are a great time saver though.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, AngryBlonde said:

I never bought frozen veggies until recently.  I think the cauliflower rice and squash work.  The green beans and mushrooms didn't.  Frozen spinach is gross. Juries still out on the Brussels sprouts but I was influenced by their bitterness so perhaps next time they will be better.  The ones that work are a great time saver though.

You can roast frozen vegetables, it helps with some of them. I didn't realize this for a very long time. This is the best way to do it:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thekitchn.com/the-3-step-technique-to-roasting-frozen-vegetables-231414 but I've also just tossed the veggies onto a (not heated) baking sheet, tossed with oil and seasonings, and cooked at 425 degrees til they were done. Frozen mushrooms are never good though. Frozen spinach is useful in other stuff, after you thaw and drain it thoroughly, but on its own is just kind of sad. Try the brussel sprouts roasted -- even fresh ones are best roasted. 

Archived