Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I’ve been missing a few days, but today is the only slight break I’m getting this week.  I knew it was going to be bad, it ended up being worse than I thought.  The last few days have been insanely draining, its even forced this night owl into falling asleep before 10 PM which is extreme for me, lol!

I’ve been thrilled to hear about all your results, still sticking to the pants method myself so I can’t yet report any numbers but I’m sliding into that phase where I no longer have to carefully pick which pair of pants I wear in the morning because none of the ones in my closet are going to be a problem.  Still not feeling ready to zip up that one pair in my drawer though, the ones with the tags still on, the ones that claimed to be a size 8 buuuut.  

During past W30’s I’ve got to within 10 pounds of my goal, and I suspect I will be back there by the end of July but as we all know the closer you are to your ideal weight range the slower it goes and I’m prepared for that.  

The one thing that I’ve been surprised about this time is how no one has noticed I’m doing it.  They are so used to seeing me eat this way it no longer stands out.  That might be another kind of NSV, lol!

Its extremely hot here so the plan is take it as easy as possible today and be ready to face the rest of the week.  Next week should even back out a little but also involves cupcake baking so it has its own challenges.  And then it’s a downhill slide into vacation mode.  I’ve got an appointment to get my hair done on the 27th and I’m hoping to be feeling like a new me by August!

I hope everyone enjoys the day!

One more thing today, because I loved what she said about our bodies being the safest and most permanent place.  And even if we are here sometimes to change that outside, we are also here to make the inside safe and strong...

That's a great post @Crimsann! I wish I could be more comfortable in my body. I lost 8 pounds on my whole 30 and all I can think about is how I need to lose about 50 more.

You guys... I have been the worst in this reintro period. I did sooooo well on the plan and just took a giant leap into the deep end after it was over. First on Sunday I tried some cheese. My Mom made a cauliflower crust cheese pizza and I felt TERRIBLE. So I thought ok... dairy is out. Then I had all intentions of waiting the three days, but the 4th of July party happened and I ate all the gluten. I had chik-fil-a nuggets (who knew they offered a party platter), mac and cheese, and chocolate chip cookies. Oh and a brownie. I went craaaaaazy. Then felt terrible. I still feel terrible today. I had a stomach ache, reflux, bloating... the whole nine yards. I feel like I just want to do another whole 30 just to make my stomach feel better. I know they say you don't need to eat whole 30 forever, but what if you do? I don't know if I have any self control without the rules. Hope you all are doing better!

@MamaPajama 30 lbs is awesome! And - YES- to not slipping back into the old regardless of moving forward with W30 or not. Love, love!!

@Crimsann I flipping love your instagram photo- to feel so free and embrace your inner warrior/ goddess/ spirit...and see it embodied in the physical body you have been blessed with...just inspiring! Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration!

@AmandaRG Yesterday was the WORST. I had no self-control after sticking to Whole30 all of June, I ate. It. ALL. Back to Whole30 compliant foods today because I also felt so bloated and sick to my stomach. I think, for me, it was a necessary step to realizing that I prefer the structure of 'yes' or 'no' foods, not just size portion limits. Hope you are able to learn from it, too. 

Just to be clear, that Instagram post was not mine and that wasn’t my picture, just a post I found super inspiring.  I would love to have her confidence but I can’t take credit for the words or the inspiration she provides...I just hope to be half as happy in my skin.  Working on it!   Love having her in my Instagram feed.  

thanks everyone!  here's something I wrote today: 

several days later, and once again out of food.  I mean, there's food, but there's very little meat, barely any veggies, and enough 'off plan' food to fill in the gap, but I'm not eating it.  nope.  no pasta or dairy for me, thanks.  and it's HOT so I don't want to cook anything.  now that my Whole30 is over, I've basically stopped eating...yesterday I didn't have breakfast, had eggs with some leftover slaw for lunch, and two raw carrots with pesto for dipping for dinner.  I haven't eaten yet today, and it's 4pm.  I was 'supposed' to reintroduce non-gluten grains yesterday, but I didn't, which is odd, because I was kind of looking forward to a big bowl of brown rice, but again - it's too hot to cook, so I didn't.  sigh...now I'm thinking this program may have triggered my mild eating disorder issues, and adding that into my lack of funds, I may be in some trouble in the near future in terms of my diet and health.  I'll try to work with it, but it would also be nice to lose a ridiculous amount of weight really quickly the way I used to when I was a dumb kid.  you'd think I might have learned something, but alas...dumb kids apparently grow into dumb adults.

@MamaPajama you're not a dumb adult. And you just finished Whole30, which is a huge accomplishment. It sounds like you know what habits you could be improving on. Take the Whole30 habits you developed and apply it to today, even if that means 3 "less healthy" meals a day, but fill your plate with still generally good for you foods. As you continue in Food Freedom, you will still see some pounds melt off!

If anyone wants to keep checking in, I'm still going to Whole60 so could use some motivation. Feel free to jump back on the bandwagon. 

@magsrose totally here for July!  I’m working on my meal plan for next week and I’m contemplating trying a reworking if this recipe...minus the honey.  https://www.floatingkitchen.net/charred-pineapple-salad/

I’ve said before that I don’t shy away from fruit that much, especially as part of a main dish.  I may try this as a light evening meal while it’s so hot and then if it’s a good as it sounds I may do a version with chicken or shrimp down the road.  Still kind of stumped on lunches for next week.  I’m not in a rut yet, but I have used up most of my tried and true packable favorites.  Lunch is the one meal I’m least enthused about experimenting with different recipes for because if something doesn’t satisfy I’m a lot closer to tempting alternatives!  Or twice as likely to skip which is just as bad for me.

hmmm, maybe a taco salad and put off the pineapple salad until the week after.  Wouldn’t want to turn into a head of lettuce after all.  

5 hours ago, Crimsann said:

Still kind of stumped on lunches for next week.  I’m not in a rut yet, but I have used up most of my tried and true packable favorites.  Lunch is the one meal I’m least enthused about experimenting with different recipes for because if something doesn’t satisfy I’m a lot closer to tempting alternatives!  Or twice as likely to skip which is just as bad for me.

hmmm, maybe a taco salad and put off the pineapple salad until the week after.  Wouldn’t want to turn into a head of lettuce after all.  

Two things I've found that work well for me for lunch - the obvious one is leftovers that you can conveniently package into a nuke and eat and meal - probably something you've thought about, but I've been able to get creative slicing and dicing things into a heat and eat bowl.  The second is a lettuce "wrap" sandwich.  I am originally an east coast hoagie/sub guy, and here's my substitute - I hope you have access to Trader Joe's as they have several key items.  I make it in layers, from bottom to top:

two romaine hearts, bottom trimmed and alternating orientation

olive salad (KEY! see below)

couple slices of the one compliant turkey breast cold cuts they carry, I don't currently have the package to share the brand, sorry :( 

chipotle mayo (I use meljoulwan's stick blender version with avocado oil and add 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chipotle powder) https://meljoulwan.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

two slices of mortadella 

another smaller romaine heart to finish the "wrap", and I sorta half fold it and half eat it flat, as the olive salad dictates.  And I add avocado as I go.

Olive Salad: I think it's a typo in the recipe, but even if not I used red wine vinegar instead of red wine and it was awesome.  Time consuming to make, so must be done in advance, but it makes a LOT and it will keep for months since it's all sitting in oil and vinegar.  At least that's what I found on line.  Recipe: https://foodieandwine.com/muffaletta-olive-salad/

The fat from the olives, olive oil and added avocado make this every bit as filling as a bread based sub, at least for me.  Oh yeah, when I make it in the morning or evening before, I wrap it in a paper towel and then a ziploc, there's a lot of moisture in there.  Paper towel helps the lettuce to not wilt.

Hope you like it!

That pineapple salad looks really good!  I think I'll make it next week.  I kind of went crazy on the fruit last weekend because I was working outside, it was 114 and humid here in Phoenix.  I'm trying to lay off for a couple of days before I start up again.

I have reintroduced most foods, but I feel like I want to go back to eating in a more Whole30 way.  Without having to worry about trace amounts of sugar, that is.  Just having the break has made me realize how very much sugar I was eating.  I have to ramp up my vegetable usage again though.  I made a spinach and zucchini frittata last night to bring to work for breakfast and baked a sweet potato for my lunch.   I think I'll try to buy precut vegetables and see if that helps me eat more. 

Did anyone else have issues with beans?  I used to eat legumes at least 3-4 times a week, and when I tried black beans, my stomach went crazy.  I'm going to introduce another kind, maybe soak them for 24 hours before pressure cooking them in the Instant Pot.  If anyone has tips for me, please share.

I'm now 2/3 of the way done with my Whole60! I'm starting to experience kitchen burnout...the recipe research, grocery shopping, kitchen work, meal prepping...I'm not as gung-ho as I was during the first 30 days. But I'm managing. I decided to put some zest in my kitchen life by inviting 4 friends over this Sunday for a Whole30-themed brunch. It will be my way of showing them how delicious Whole30 eating can be. Anyone have any great breakfast/brunch recipes to share?

What an awesome idea!  I’ll put my thinking cap on.  The one recipe that comes to mind that I haven’t shared with this group yet probably could work for a brunch and it’s been deemed veeeery delicious by all sorts of groups.  I had a bit of trouble finding the coconut butter the first time I made this but once I did I understood how important it was...and also why this needed to be a special occasion recipe.  It’s that good!  

https://meatified.com/sweet-potato-gratin/

Oh yeah, I may make a batch this weekend too...

• Moderators
3 hours ago, magsrose said:

Anyone have any great breakfast/brunch recipes to share?

There are a bunch of whole30 versions of eggs Benedict around, maybe something like that? Because who wouldn't be impressed wit hollandaise sauce.

For your kitchen burnout, remember that it's fine to keep things simple. Burger patty with a dollop of mayo and mustard, roasted vegetables, maybe some sauerkraut. Or make a roast in the crockpot, bake some potatoes or sweet potatoes. Stuff potatoes with roast, serve with salad. Use leftover roast in a salad or lettuce wraps the next day. Buy pre-chopped vegetables if that helps. 

I was reading some other comments about the meal template and the goal of going 4-5 hours between meals. I am struggling with this a bit. I TRIED to eat 3 eggs for breakfast, and inevitably, there's a moment in my meal where I feel that pang of, "I'm done" and every bite after that is nausea-inducing. But then I'm hungry again about 3 hours later. I guess it's just hard for me to fit in all the nutrients I need to last me 4-5 hours. I'm doing ok, but it is still a bit of a challenge. Also, I'm starving by 5 pm so I eat an early dinner and then I'm starving again before bed, and I've been really trying to not eat again after dinner, but it's uncomfortable. Any advice?

Girls' Whole30 brunch tomorrow morning, and I'm going to try my hand at Hollandaise sauce over scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes, and brussels sprouts. Sides of spinach salad with marinaded onions and green olives with a berry medley to round out the meal.

@magsrose - maybe add a snack in the afternoon?  there are days when I need to be up early, and then stay up late, so...sometimes, you just need to eat.  enjoy your brunch!

I've had an interesting week.  I spent a good deal of it sick, with my stomach painfully bloated, digestive issues, and nausea.  it's like I finally gave my body what it wanted and needed for 30 days, and after it was done rebelling over wanting the crap, now it's used to the yummy goodness, and doesn't want anything but that.  it's not like I ate anything too crappy, either, but man, those crackers?  not worth it.  the grocery store birthday cake?  SO not worth it.  I was doing great with my reintroductions, and staying on track, but then I came on here to check in, and reading about how some people went all-out at celebratory barbecues, I used it as the excuse I needed to give my permission to hop fully off the wagon, and I paid for it.  trying to be more careful, now, because I can't afford to be that sick that often. 

weekly blog:  https://theunusedportion.blogspot.com/2018/07/relapse.html

thanks for all the recipe ideas, and general support!

4 hours ago, Mama Pajama said:

@magsrose - maybe add a snack in the afternoon?  there are days when I need to be up early, and then stay up late, so...sometimes, you just need to eat.  enjoy your brunch!

I've had an interesting week.  I spent a good deal of it sick, with my stomach painfully bloated, digestive issues, and nausea.  it's like I finally gave my body what it wanted and needed for 30 days, and after it was done rebelling over wanting the crap, now it's used to the yummy goodness, and doesn't want anything but that.  it's not like I ate anything too crappy, either, but man, those crackers?  not worth it.  the grocery store birthday cake?  SO not worth it.  I was doing great with my reintroductions, and staying on track, but then I came on here to check in, and reading about how some people went all-out at celebratory barbecues, I used it as the excuse I needed to give my permission to hop fully off the wagon, and I paid for it.  trying to be more careful, now, because I can't afford to be that sick that often. 

weekly blog:  https://theunusedportion.blogspot.com/2018/07/relapse.html

thanks for all the recipe ideas, and general support!

I have been eating things that I used to eat, then I feel bad and try to go back to eating better again.  I'm totally off the 3 meals a day too.  I have been eating smaller meals and then snacking.  I know I need to get back to taking care of myself.  It takes time and effort to eat healthy food, and it's difficult sometimes to give to yourself.  It's a struggle, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Plantas said:

I have been eating things that I used to eat, then I feel bad and try to go back to eating better again.  I'm totally off the 3 meals a day too.  I have been eating smaller meals and then snacking.  I know I need to get back to taking care of myself.  It takes time and effort to eat healthy food, and it's difficult sometimes to give to yourself.  It's a struggle, isn't it?

Yes!  and it doesn't feel like it Should be!  it feels like it should be the easiest thing in the world (and for some people, I bet it is), but it's hard (for me)!  the right instincts just don't come naturally, or I just haven't been doing them long enough for them to become habit, yet.  but I guess you just need to be in it for the long game in order to see the benefits, and Keep seeing them.  I browsed a bunch of recipes today to see if I couldn't maybe get myself interested in something new to give that morning meal some more appeal!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to report here that I finished my Whole60 and I'm so proud of myself for doing a hard thing. My clothes are fitting better, went down a pants size, I have more energy for Saturday morning hiking, skin and hair on fleek, and gained a whole new set of eating habits. This has been so good for me. I weighed myself after the Whole60 was complete and I went down 23 pounds from June 2nd. This is the most I've ever lost before! I still have a long way to go, but Whole30 has taught me how to make progress towards my goal. I'm starting a month of reintroductions now, so I will still be eating Whole30 almost full-time. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the support over the past two months!

What an amazing update, I'm so happy for you!  I had to log in to say so even while I'm flinging clothes at an open suitcase trying to get the heck out of town. 

July pretty much flattened me, I made it about two weeks in before my plans for 60 fell apart.  I still managed to hold onto my losses from June, at least according to my pants, but I didn't make much progress beyond that.  And now it's off on vacation if I can just shut down my brain in time to really relax!

I am going to do an easing back in then for the end of August, working on getting back to meal planning and whole foods before launching into a September round.  I usually do not try to do W30 as written for Oct-Dec because with our annual inventory season my hours go into a tailspin and that doesn't even factor in the holidays. I do have a personal revised set of guidelines for between months.  And then January is always a great time.  So plans for the future!

I'm envious of the amazing feeling you've got going on right now, and it's just added encouragement to double down when I get back.  

Have a good vacation Crismsann.  I am considering a September Whole30 right now.  I feel like it will be a good reset and I'll have insight and tips that I didn't have before.  Check in periodically if you do the September thing.  Hopefully I'll be excited and ready to go.

@Crimsann Thank you, and I'm envious of your vacation. I don't think I would have been successful if I'd been traveling during this time. I even chose not to participate in a few dinners, parties, and trips, because my Whole60 was more important to me. But the other side of this story is that I'm pretty beat and ready for a vacation myself. Word to the wise: Don't move to a new house across town while on Whole30...every spare second should be used for grocery shopping and meal prepping...not packing, unloading, and painting...ugh. But at least I learned how to make do while staying compliant.

Archived