Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

My name is Jenn and I'm starting the whole 30 for the second time June 1 as well. I'm looking forward to a periodic fast to refocus and let go of habits and behaviours clung to in the past. I am hoping to learn more about myself, and be able to find other coping methods other than food and be reminded of the gift that it is. Looking forward to journeying together! 

Hi everybody I hope you all did well during the weekend!

One thing that has been really working for me is remembering to take my time eating instead of eating fast as I normally do! My cravings were pretty bad today I wanted some type of smoothie bowl, but I didnt because of all the hidden sugars. Actually, that lack of trust has kept me from eating out more. I am asking more questions than my normal "does this contain dairy?". I find myself questioning what kinds of oils people are using and what type of sweeteners are in my food. Anyone else second guessing their local restaurants? I'm planning on making my own almond milk soon!

Day 4 yall! I had a headache all day yesterday despite drinking what felt like gallons and gallons of water. I had the worst charlie horse Saturday night, it was actually sore all day yesterday! It's amazing to me how quickly you can feel changes in your body. My ankles have been swollen for at least the last two months and last night I realized that even after being on my feet all day they weren't swollen at all. The cooking all the time though... it's a struggle! SO. MANY. DISHES.

12 hours ago, RosyMV said:

One thing that has been really working for me is remembering to take my time eating instead of eating fast as I normally do! My cravings were pretty bad today I wanted some type of smoothie bowl, but I didnt because of all the hidden sugars. Actually, that lack of trust has kept me from eating out more. I am asking more questions than my normal "does this contain dairy?". I find myself questioning what kinds of oils people are using and what type of sweeteners are in my food. Anyone else second guessing their local restaurants? I'm planning on making my own almond milk soon!

I decided against eating out at all this month, actually...seems like too much of a hassle.  also, we're more partial to take-out, which is always either pizza, cheeseburgers and fries (comes with pasta salad), or chicken or meatball parmesan subs!  my teen also likes garlic knots, which I usually have a few of, so...I'll skip it.  ;)

I hear you about taking your time eating, though!  I've also been conscious of slowing down, and chewing thoroughly. 

1 hour ago, AmandaRG said:

Day 4 yall! I had a headache all day yesterday despite drinking what felt like gallons and gallons of water. I had the worst charlie horse Saturday night, it was actually sore all day yesterday! It's amazing to me how quickly you can feel changes in your body. My ankles have been swollen for at least the last two months and last night I realized that even after being on my feet all day they weren't swollen at all. The cooking all the time though... it's a struggle! SO. MANY. DISHES.

woo hoo!  I've been pretty sore and sleepy, myself, but my itchy patches on my elbows feel smooth, the ones on my knee and ankle seem to be clearing up, and I'm hoping to see some improvement on my toes!  talk to me about cooking all the time and dishes!!!  my sink just keeps filling up, it's CRAZY!  :lol:

I've been keeping my food journal on my blog, if anyone is interested in seeing how my week went - I had to do some rearranging of the 7-Day Menu Plan because I don't eat avocado or tuna (which was supposed to be yesterday's lunch), and I don't own a slow cooker (which meant I couldn't make the brisket I also didn't have for last night's dinner!).

https://theunusedportion.blogspot.com/2018/06/food-journaling.html

Happy Day 4 (as ironic as that is based on the timeline)...I noticed my skin looking clearer and brighter this morning which is usually an early sign for me.  I'm going to be juggling a lot of new employee training this afternoon which was an unexpected addition to my work load and couldn't be coming on a worse day, but so far this morning I'm doing well mood wise.  We will see how that lasts.  This is the type of training when you need to be all about the first impressions and flexible enough to flip topics as the session goes and questions come up.  In other words, all the game face.

I backslid a tiny bit on breakfast, I got up late enough to not have time to saute the veggies I had prepped but I made a couple of eggs and had a small glass of orange juice.  I realized on the way to work I totally had some baby spinach that would have wilted in the few seconds the eggs were cooking so that would have been the perfect rushed morning option for some green with my eggs.  Lesson learned for next time, (ahem...probably tomorrow.)  

Well, despite my good intentions – I made mistakes over the weekend. Not huge ones, just small poor choices because i wasn't paying attention. I considered just overlooking them and forging on as if nothing had happened. But NO – that is not the Whole30 Way! It’s everything or nothing. Period!

I will own my mistakes, and I will restart today. I will remain 100% compliant and do this right.  I have a full refrigerator of good food (Sunday is my prep day) and I am ON IT!

Also, I’m practicing mindful eating and it has already changed the way I feel about the foods I eat. It allows me to truly taste each bite and appreciate the differences in texture and temperature between veggies and meat and fruit. I’m surprised by the experience, and I’ve found I stop eating sooner when I am truly paying attention.

Good luck to everyone. Get lots of sleep -- that's my secret to juggling everything in life and in the Whole30.

Day 4! I feel like my mood is starting to turn around - I was very snappy yesterday and my energy levels were a bit low, but by the afternoon today I was feeling better. 

Not seeing changes in my skin yet like some of you (I’m envious by the way :)) but I’m sure it will all come in time. 

I’ve been keeping breakfast pretty consistent for the time being - eggs with mixed greens, served with coffee blended with coconut oil. Lunch for the rest of the week will be leftovers. Dinner tonight was chicken, roasted asparagus, and raw mixed veggies with a mayo based dip that I made. I made a huge batch of chicken, so I’ll use that for pre workout snacks and also mix into some other suppers the rest of this week. 

Hope everyone had a good day!!

okay, so one of the challenges I need to overcome is that since I don't eat pork, or seafood, that leaves me a rotation of beef, chicken, turkey, and eggs.  I can work with that, right?  I just need to adjust the meal plan in order to accommodate my issues, no problem...  :)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mama Pajama said:

okay, so one of the challenges I need to overcome is that since I don't eat pork, or seafood, that leaves me a rotation of beef, chicken, turkey, and eggs.  I can work with that, right?  I just need to adjust the meal plan in order to accommodate my issues, no problem...  :)

I theoretically will eat pork and seafood, but the reality is I don't very often -- beef, chicken, turkey, and eggs is plenty of options. In many recipes, you can sub beef for pork, or if it's ground pork, even ground turkey or chicken. Or you can just skip the recipes that have those foods and make scrambled eggs, grilled chicken, or burger patties with some sauteed or roasted vegetables instead.

1 hour ago, Mama Pajama said:

Although my family is not doing the W30 with me, they will still eat the same dinners I make. They tend to be a bit picky and don’t like pork, most red meats, and seafood so I usually stick to poultry and eggs as well, throwing in ground beef every now and again. It works for us :) 

On 6/3/2018 at 9:03 PM, RosyMV said:

Thanks for posting this - I definitely need to do a better job at slowing down and focusing on what I’m eating. I tend to get distracted ane will wind up answering emails or reading especially at lunch. Thanks for the reminder. 

I totally get what you mean by the lack of trust! I know the program explains how you should be able to eat out but I’ve always thought you just never know how honest/upfront the restaurant will be!!

I really wanted a late night snack last night, and almost had one, justifying it by saying, "well, it's all healthy, on-plan food..." but I resisted, knowing that I wasn't really hungry, I was just bored, lonely, or wanting a treat.  yay me. 

I started on June 2nd, so I'm one day behind all of you. This is my first time and I'm taking it very seriously. I started a spreadsheet where I do all my meal planning and reporting similar to the Whole30 Day by Day book. It feels really good to have one place to keep all my thoughts organized, and check off as the day goes on. One thing that has been interesting to me is the concept of your amount of suck is directly related to the amount of junk you consumed before starting. I've been kind of 50% Whole30 leading up to this, so I haven't had any hangover symptoms! Hope ya'll don't mind if I tag along for the ride.

Late for my check-in today, but I added that spinach in for breakfast and felt more well rounded for it.  The training deal is ongoing so I'm having to move my midday meal time around quite a bit to accommodate meetings.  I'm still focused on just not skipping it, but the past two days I feel like I've been forced into eating a bit earlier than I would have preferred and I suspect it's going to make the longer gap before my evening meal a bit of a challenge.  I used to have to do a mini-meal when I was working two jobs because the gap between lunch and dinner stretched to nearly 8 hours some days.  Then I made my evening meal another pretty light meal because it would be so late at night then and that helped it be less of a snack and more of a half meal each time.  I don't want to set up the expectation of eating twice at night though now that I am at home because I have more access to food than I did when I was packing.  Then I was limited to what I brought with me!  

So far this hasn't really been a problem, but it is something I want to think through and figure out an ideal strategy before I'm really tempted to stray.  

10 minutes ago, magsrose said:

I started on June 2nd, so I'm one day behind all of you. This is my first time and I'm taking it very seriously. I started a spreadsheet where I do all my meal planning and reporting similar to the Whole30 Day by Day book. It feels really good to have one place to keep all my thoughts organized, and check off as the day goes on. One thing that has been interesting to me is the concept of your amount of suck is directly related to the amount of junk you consumed before starting. I've been kind of 50% Whole30 leading up to this, so I haven't had any hangover symptoms! Hope ya'll don't mind if I tag along for the ride.

welcome!  I'm also a first-timer taking it seriously, and my 'spreadsheet' is a piece of paper divided into sections, and my blog.  I don't know about the Day by Day book, but it sounds helpful.  is there a link, or is it something you have to buy?  I haven't had terrible 'hangover' symptoms, either, because even though my diet wasn't all that great, it at least consisted of mostly organic, non-GMO foods, and high quality meats and cheeses.  I'm not a big fan of processed junk!  glad to have you along ~ :)

Hi guys! Sounds like everyone is doing mostly ok with the exception of @LIEvans lololol

I don't know why I decided yesterday would be a good day to donate platelets for the first time in two years. For one I was hungry at the appointment (4:30) and couldn't partake in all of their yummy snacks (m&ms, chips, crackers, soda). I got through it with my bottle of water and proceeded to feel yucky the rest of the night. Glad I woke up feeling better today. Had a work meeting and luckily they had hard boiled eggs and fruit. Kind of an unnecessary snack but it felt needed in a social environment... has anyone else run into that? Well the extra egg on top of my morning 3 eggs has made me bloated as hell so lesson learned that it wasn't needed!

Hope you all are hanging in there, we are almost through with our first week!

58 minutes ago, Mama Pajama said:

welcome!  I'm also a first-timer taking it seriously, and my 'spreadsheet' is a piece of paper divided into sections, and my blog.  I don't know about the Day by Day book, but it sounds helpful.  is there a link, or is it something you have to buy?  I haven't had terrible 'hangover' symptoms, either, because even though my diet wasn't all that great, it at least consisted of mostly organic, non-GMO foods, and high quality meats and cheeses.  I'm not a big fan of processed junk!  glad to have you along ~ :)

This is the book I'm referring to: https://whole30.com/daybyday/ I literally went to the library and checked out all 6 of the Whole30 books. Interlibrary loan them if you have to. I'm following the day by day book, but not writing in it since it's a library book and instead writing my responses on my spreadsheet. I recommend it!

Hi everyone, sounds like you are all doing really well.  I have certainly noticed more constant energy through the day which is a great start but have been really bloated, quite gassy and had a very upset stomach on day 3. I think it may been the nuts, so have removed those from my diet. If I can't have nuts, would you guys just add extra good fat/extra protein at lunch and dinner? Hopefully that fixes the problem; otherwise I might need to look at low FODMAP...oh my god...scary times.   

Also, any other good breakfast meals for on the go? (i work long hours....yes, i know!) and often eat at my desk. i used to make myself porridge each morning, but obviously that is off the menu!

Archived