Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

9 hours ago, Mama Pajama said:

today I made aioli and pesto.  gonna poach some chicken breasts tomorrow, and use the stock for butternut squash soup.  then I'm gonna make 'veggie scrap' soup from all the veggie peels and ends I've been saving in the freezer.  looking forward to making sunshine sauce with tahini, and seeing how that works...(just thawed the tomato sauce for use tonight, and still have roasted red pepper sauce in the freezer).  don't know why I'm digging making all these sauces - maybe because I'm tired of cooking meat and veggies?

Wow, I'm so impressed.  Tell me your address--I'll be over for dinner.  ;) 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed on the menu planning getting tougher, on the one hand, but on the other, I'm starting to get it a little bit.  for my (rather late) lunch, I poached chicken with peppercorns, sage, salt, garlic, and a bay leaf, then cut it into chunks to make into chicken salad with cucumber, basil, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and cinnamon-pear vinegar, which I ate on a bed of romaine & spinach, with slivered almonds, nutritional yeast, and garlic aioli!  :lol:

On 5/30/2018 at 7:42 AM, Mama Pajama said:

two more days - I'm not ready!  I have to go grocery shopping and make a meal plan...I've been eating all the junk in the house 'to get rid of it', and I feel like crap.  oh well.  I made my bed, guess I'll have to lie in it, right?  ;)

Mama Pajama, Hope things are going well for you. Hubby and I are also "using up the junk," as it were...and I, too, have been feeling like crap! So good there are others here who understand. Am aiming to eat a real breakfast tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Mama Pajama said:

agreed on the menu planning getting tougher, on the one hand, but on the other, I'm starting to get it a little bit.  for my (rather late) lunch, I poached chicken with peppercorns, sage, salt, garlic, and a bay leaf, then cut it into chunks to make into chicken salad with cucumber, basil, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and cinnamon-pear vinegar, which I ate on a bed of romaine & spinach, with slivered almonds, nutritional yeast, and garlic aioli!  :lol:

Hoot!  I think your lunch alone out meal prepped my entire week!  

At least I remembered my wallet this weekend so the grocery run was “only” two trips due to running out of walnuts.

If it’s not a wallet it’s a walnut?!

I think I’m getting a touch slap happy.

But meal prep is basically done, one more dish that I plan to make hot/fresh tomorrow but otherwise I’m set for the week.  Off to get in my yoga and then maybe stare at the ceiling in savasana for an hour just to be off my feet.  It was actually nice to be in the kitchen on a rainy day here but I’m shooting for ultra minimal on prep next week. 

@Girl55 - I'm doing much better, thanks!  feeling pretty good, except for the stress of meal planning, really, and my kid eating chocolate cake in my face...;)

@Crimsann - I just stopped at the store for the second time, myself!  I need to make a 'real' trip to do all my shopping, but alas...the money monster ate all my funds, and I'm flat again, so I'll have to muddle through with what I've got until some work/pay comes in (I may end up having to borrow from my teen)!  time to go make the soup...

hope EVERYONE is staying on track, and feeling fine - we're just about through 'The Hardest Days', and headed into the 'I Dream Of Junk Food' section of our program, so buckle up, and hang on!  have a great week fellow travelers ~ :)

Today I was riding to the store with my Mom and she unwrapped a lifesaver...the crinkle of the wrapper make me like Pavlov’s dog! Mouth salivating like crazy!

Aside from that I feel like it’s been going pretty well. Had carrots and asked my mom if these were a different kind of carrot...they tasted so sweet! She said they tasted like normal carrots so it must be my tastebuds adjusting. I call that a nsv!

Day 10 for me! The past two days, I've felt nauseous between breakfast and lunch. Something isn't sitting right. Could I be reacting badly to eggs? I think tomorrow I'll try a non-egg breakfast to see if I notice a difference. Right now peppermint and ginger tea are my saving grace.

2 minutes ago, magsrose said:

Day 10 for me! The past two days, I've felt nauseous between breakfast and lunch. Something isn't sitting right. Could I be reacting badly to eggs? I think tomorrow I'll try a non-egg breakfast to see if I notice a difference. Right now peppermint and ginger tea are my saving grace.

Eggs make me feel icky sometimes too... it'll be good to figure out if that's why! Also, Yogi makes a great ginger-lemon tea if you need a new stomach soothing blend. :) I drink a few cups a day.

Is this really only the second Monday of this round?  Feels like we have had 30 straight already.  I'm just saying.

Meal prep was worth it though because those Turkey Pesto Meatballs turned out just as good as ever and made for a super filling lunch over a pile of zoodles.  I looked over my meal plan for next week and made a few changes to get the prep work down some, not sure I'm set on that yet, but it's started.  I like to be about a week ahead with those because last minute planning doesn't always pan out for me!  

Two things I'm noticing as we get close to that magic halfway point.  First, and I've suspected this before but noticed it even more so this time, I'm getting some heartburn that I think is related to sparkling water.  Sad face, I'm not a huge fan of drinking still water...but at least during the summer I can pull some herbs from my garden and flavor it up a bit.  I'm going to eliminate sparkling water here for a week and see if it helps.  Or maybe, since two people have now popped up with tea posts just as I'm writing this...some tea!  

The other thing I've noticed is almost immediately after starting this round my internal clock has tried to reset itself to something a little less night owlish.  Overall, this would be a benefit for me, but I'm not used to being that tried before midnight and being up so early on a weekend without an alarm clock.  I'm not sure what about this round specifically has moved that needle for me but it's a mixed blessing just at the moment.  

here's this week's blog post from me, journaling my week in food and feelings:  https://theunusedportion.blogspot.com/2018/06/moving-forward.html

while I agree it feels like we've had a month of Mondays already, I'm also feeling like we're almost halfway there, and that's a pretty big win!  I want to see to more changes, personally...I don't really know what I'm looking for, so maybe I should take a look at those non-scale victories again, and see if any of them apply. 

That one recipe I didn’t get done ahead yesterday but was making fresh tonight?  Daaaaaang guys, it rocked.  I haven’t done anything with dates in a sauce before, but there are some sauces that do need a tad of sweet.  Even so, I think I would mix this one in more rarely than the DAILY I was thinking at first bite.  I might also do half the dates and see if it really needed them for my tastes.  What I do love is that it’s a great way to get some broccoli in.  I like broccoli, but let’s all admit there was a reason Melissa used it in her famous “if you are hungry enough for boiled fish and broccoli” example. 

Anyway this recipe was on the W30 Instagram feed last week and it just shot up to my top 10 list.

2 hours ago, Crimsann said:

That one recipe I didn’t get done ahead yesterday but was making fresh tonight?  Daaaaaang guys, it rocked.  I haven’t done anything with dates in a sauce before, but there are some sauces that do need a tad of sweet.  Even so, I think I would mix this one in more rarely than the DAILY I was thinking at first bite.  I might also do half the dates and see if it really needed them for my tastes.  What I do love is that it’s a great way to get some broccoli in.  I like broccoli, but let’s all admit there was a reason Melissa used it in her famous “if you are hungry enough for boiled fish and broccoli” example. 

Anyway this recipe was on the W30 Instagram feed last week and it just shot up to my top 10 list.

Looks AMAZING!

I had a non-egg breakfast today, and I feel great! Yesterday and the day before, I felt TERRIBLE. So now I'll just need to test to see if it really is eggs causing a problem for me. Having issues with eggs and avocado are not great for being on Whole30, but I'll make do. 

urgh...so I'm out of food again, and my lack of ability/competence with menu planning will be my personal challenge this week.  I did some paid work recently, so I am thankfully able to get Some food, not sure how much, but Some.  which is better than none.  school ended yesterday, though, and my teen, who is eligible for free breakfast and lunch at school (crap that it is, it's a Huge help) is now eating at home all day, and I'm needing to adjust for that.  I can do this - we're almost halfway there - I HAVE to do this!!!

Hang in the Mama PJ...I have this thing where I must nickname you PJ in my mind.  Probably just a Day 12 thing.  It may be a week for the most simple meals possible but I think you’ve got the gumption to find a way.  Sometimes the most variety my meals get during a hard week is whether the mushrooms go under the burger instead of over!  

I’m headed upstairs from yoga which was a short session for me thanks to catching PMS from this group.  (My story, sticking to it.  I’m sure I would have skipped this month if I hadn’t been attuning with you, lol.)  Fingers crossed that Orange Chicken reheats half as good as it was last night and then I’m chilling for the evening.  I’m an Apple Watch addict so when I’ve hit all three rings by early evening it’s a cause for celebration and some down time!

I haven’t posted in a few days, but have been following along and enjoy hearing how everyone is doing! 

It has been a bit of a struggle on my end, keeping the motivation to keep on the W30, but I keep trying to remind myself that it will be worth it...I just need that tiger blood to kick in!!  Onward to day 13! 

@Crimsann - I had to look up 'closing rings on apple watch' because I'm old and didn't know what that meant!  :lol:  so, a belated "good for you!"  and sorry you 'caught' my PMS...;)  oh, and I also got what I needed at the store to make that Orange Chicken - it just looks too good not to try!

I made cauliflower rice for the first time last night, and the teen went back for seconds - total win, as he's not a big fan of cauliflower.  I'm glad there are leftovers.

Happy day 13! Almost halfway there. Yesterday I drove all day for work so I ate a little weird. All compliant, but definitely not in the template form. I think it's important to not stress about not having perfect meals every day for every meal. That's what I tell myself anyway :)

Hoping to feel the tiger blood soon... I feel like I have been tired like I was eating like crap. Part of it might be that my smoke alarm keeps chirping in the middle of the night until I reset it. Anyone know what to do about that?

Hope you all have a great Wednesday.

I'm having trouble staying motivated today too.  I ate bacon and raw vegetables with a side of melon for dinner last night because the eating leftover curry and sweet potatoes again made me want to run away.  I don't like bacon, but I was tired and desperate and it was late.

Does anyone have ideas/recipes for a quick burger type meal?  I'm hoping that shaking things up will push me out of my food crankiness. 

The orange chicken in the photo looks so good.  When I'm feeling a little more patient, I am definitely making some.

If you are signed up for the W30 emails I thought the one this week was particularly interesting.  His comments about momentum really rang true for me.  For those of you working your way through your first it’s hard to explain how worth it the program is especially when you are hitting some of the hardest days.  But I will say I have NEVER regretted doing a round.  I have regretted a lot of wasted months not doing one though.  And it is always harder to start or start again than it is to keep going.  Give yourselves this month.  You’ve worked too hard to get here to miss the payoff.  If you are struggling or have slipped, I was very serious about my commitment to do July too so know this thread will not necessarily go quiet on 7/1 either and I’m happy to keep chatting with anyone who needs a buddy for a bit longer and be that someone to cheer YOUR finish line whatever day that is.  

So, request for burger ideas.  Well, there is this one link that honestly makes every non-W30 burger look like a pale imitation so check out this beauty.  http://cookprimalgourmet.com/whole30-sundried-chicken-burgers

I have not actually made those because I first spotted them in the winter and kind of wanted to go for the grill, so thanks in part for the reminder!

I did one week a few summers ago by accident really/fridge cleaning and had a couple variations.  Pot Roast Burger was topped with roasted carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and onions.  Spaghetti Burger had more mushrooms, onions, and pasta sauce.  In talking about my burger adventures someone else brought up the Elvis which involved almond butter and banana but I halted my experiments before I got quite that far.

So my advice is...think of your fave comfort meal that does or could include beef and then deconstruct it a bit down to its compliant beef and veg elements and see what you come up with!  Using those same flavor profiles in a clean way may turn you on to some new ideas.  Come up with an awesome topping?  Switch it up and try it on chicken next time.

And don’t forget, a bit of mayo with some fresh herbs or spices and garlic...you can whip up single serving burger sauces in a different combo every night!

Hmmm, was just thinking...maybe we should have a burger “date” night.  Some night next week we all try an interesting combination of burger+toppings and post pictures and reviews on what we came up with.  Could make for some laughs and some shared inspiration.  Plus you will def want to stick around a few more days and be part of that.  If we did next Wednesday it would also be the kick-off to the final ten days count down.

Archived