KCore1

Starting whole30 6/1/18

Day 18 for me. I had to stop and think about what day I was on. Things have kind of dipped down for me. My tummy is still aching yesterday and today. Yesterday it hit a couple hours after lunch and today a couple hours after dinner. Why?? Peppermint tea is a staple for me now. My sleep has gotten bad again. Some nights I've stayed up as late as 1:00 am and sleep fitfully. Well, enough with complaining. I am grateful for all the hard work I've put into meal prepping. It makes my mornings so easy and I have wonderful, nutritious meals 3 times a day. I went to a pool party tonight where they served southern comfort food and I didn't eat a single thing. I will wake up tomorrow feeling fresh and motivated instead of crappy and bloated. Keep up the good work everyone! We are coming up on 2/3 of the way done.

Hello Juner's! I started June 1st, but this is my first forum post/ forum reading. Love the idea of a group to check in with, so not sure why I didn't think to look for forums previously, lol.

First two weeks have gone well, with planning meals and grocery shopping being key. I bought two watermelons from different places this past week, and both were bad...that really put a kink in my plans! I moved forward with my go to lunch, anyway, though...Pan seared chicken breast, avocado, and diced cucumber. Yum!

Any gardeners out there trying to use fresh and seasonal produce? I'm in 6A, and we have had a lot of rain and high temps...my lettuce is bolting, and don't have yellow squash yet (hopefully this weekend). Would love to try and be completely Whole30 on a local scale, but not sure if that is a feasible goal!

Looking forward to going back and reading about all of your journeys to get to this point, Day 20! 

9 hours ago, magsrose said:

Day 18 for me. I had to stop and think about what day I was on. Things have kind of dipped down for me. My tummy is still aching yesterday and today. Yesterday it hit a couple hours after lunch and today a couple hours after dinner. Why?? Peppermint tea is a staple for me now. My sleep has gotten bad again. Some nights I've stayed up as late as 1:00 am and sleep fitfully. Well, enough with complaining. I am grateful for all the hard work I've put into meal prepping. It makes my mornings so easy and I have wonderful, nutritious meals 3 times a day. I went to a pool party tonight where they served southern comfort food and I didn't eat a single thing. I will wake up tomorrow feeling fresh and motivated instead of crappy and bloated. Keep up the good work everyone! We are coming up on 2/3 of the way done.

Hey, I'm not sure what all tummy troubles you are having, but have you every tried natural calm magnesium? You can get a compliant non-sweetened version and it helps you sleep. It also gives you diarrhea if you take too much at the beginning, so they recommend starting with half a dose and working your way up. Might help with your sleep problems? I have always had a lot of trouble sleeping, so I feel your pain. And congrats on making it through that party unscathed!

Day 17 for me. Last night I almost gave in.  I went to a nephew Bday party and they had pizza!!!!!  I really really wanted a slice.  Instead I just sniffed it (so dumb I know).  Don't even ask about the bday cake they had.  BUT I didn't have anything I couldnt.  I stuck to the salad and ate protein when I got home.  

I have a question.  I usually have a good smooth complexion.  But lately I have been getting pimples and my skin is dry and flaky.   Does anyone know anything about this?

@Brocha I wish I could help but my skin is usually the first thing to improve.  It sounds like it could be just your skin releasing some of the junk from your system but I’m not sure about the dryness.  It’s usually dehydration for me but it seems like skin is one of those things that swings wildly different by person.

Welcome @ThisAgrarianSoul  I have a very small patio garden with mostly herbs.  This time I’m trying some peppers but no crop to speak of so far.  My favorite herb is Pineapple Sage.  I would love to find some good ways of using it this summer.

So for burger night I tried to do a BLT version.  I took some sundried tomatoes and crisp bacon and some dill/garlic/onion/herb blend and mixed it with some mayo.  I meant to wrap that all in lettuce leaves for the L part, but I forget to pick some up so I did a handful of micro greens.  

Unfortunately for me it ended up huge and my appetite is totally MIA tonight.  I’m going to try to make it through at least half but I’m laughing at myself for ending up just staring at it and wishing for something lighter.  My idea, lol.  I can tell I’m truly not hungry because even the paprika/chili sweet potatoes aren’t tempting me and I usually love those.  

I hope everyone is excited to slide into the final countdown!

90009BCB-A1AA-4BE4-AD62-44067EF3C988.jpeg

OMG @Crimsann that looks so good. Good work! Lucky you, you can eat the rest tomorrow. I'm on board with burger night, but I'll probably do it tomorrow night, unless I get hungry enough for 2nd dinner, which is entirely possible. I've been really hungry a lot lately. I had a bowl of crock pot chili tonight.

@ThisAgrarianSoul I love your goal of doing Whole30 Local. I don't have a garden, but my sister has a crazy awesome garden system and I go over there once a week and stock up on lettuce greens and whatever else is on. It's so great!

Seriously I want to eat that burger right now!

@Crimsann you inspired me and I made burgers tonight! I ate 1/2 of one. It was my favorite meal I've had so far. So good I felt like I was cheating. Seasoned beef patties, compliant bacon, homemade mayo infused with chopped pickles and basil leaves, mustard, over garden baby greens, and topped with the crispy shallot recipe in the Whole30 cookbook. I would have loved to add a thick homegrown tomato slice, but I don't have any.

@Brocha I totally sniff the non-compliant food, and am so glad you disclosed that so I don't have to feel crazy over here by myself! My husband brought a homemade sourdough loaf home from market last Wednesday, and it smelled divine! 

@Crimsann That burger looks amazing! I love to top things with microgreens...Yum. It has been years since I had a pineapple sage plant, but I remember it being wonderful as an accent in floral arrangements for the house. I'll have to think about some other food uses. Might need to add that to my wish list for the herb garden again...we have moved twice since I had it. 

I made asian flavor pork burgers with red pepper and lettuce "buns".  They were really good, and I was glad they turned out because I've never made burgers out of ground pork.  I also put microgreens, spicy mayo and a little avocado.  We had it with some steamed potatoes, carrot chips and a bit of fruit salad.  I was out of clean plates, so we had to put the sides on a separate one.  I miss eating burgers on those skinny buns, but I'm getting better at finding substitutes.

asian flvor pork burger.JPG

On 6/20/2018 at 7:09 AM, ThisAgrarianSoul said:

Hello Juner's! I started June 1st, but this is my first forum post/ forum reading. Love the idea of a group to check in with, so not sure why I didn't think to look for forums previously, lol.

First two weeks have gone well, with planning meals and grocery shopping being key. I bought two watermelons from different places this past week, and both were bad...that really put a kink in my plans! I moved forward with my go to lunch, anyway, though...Pan seared chicken breast, avocado, and diced cucumber. Yum!

Any gardeners out there trying to use fresh and seasonal produce? I'm in 6A, and we have had a lot of rain and high temps...my lettuce is bolting, and don't have yellow squash yet (hopefully this weekend). Would love to try and be completely Whole30 on a local scale, but not sure if that is a feasible goal!

Looking forward to going back and reading about all of your journeys to get to this point, Day 20! 

Hi!  I have a good sized garden, but it's getting close to time when it's finished.  I live in Phoenix, so it's pretty hot.  I have been harvesting zucchini, peppers and some cherry tomatoes.  I have some armenian cucumbers that are starting to take off and I can't wait to start eating them.  It's been nice to make frittatas with whatever I can pick.  I have a lot of sweet potato leaves, but i haven't tried eating them yet - I just give them to the chickens.  Have you ever cooked with them?