Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

15 minutes ago, Crimsann said:

One quick one...this is my absolute favorite W30 recipe.

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/17/chicken-pesto-meatballs-marina/

I have always made these with turkey instead of chicken but Mel's magic meatball method (she should patent that) makes them incredibly moist so either chicken or turkey works without being dry.  As a short cut, I have sometimes used a bottled pasta sauce instead of making her sauce.  Her recipe is easy and tasty, but sometimes I need all the short cut's I can get.  My favorite is Paul Newman's For the Common Good which has been easy to find even in major grocery chains so it doesn't require a specialty health food stop.  Always double check because recipes change, but the last time I looked the Tomato Basil variety was compliant.  If you have never tried zoodles, this is an excellent way to try them the first time because they taste delicious with this recipe. On top of all that the leftover meatballs are killer cold so it's a total win.  

Thank you so much! I just bought some zucchini without a plan of what to do with it. This sounds perfect!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, all. Starting my 2nd Whole 30 today. (OK, I think it might be my fourth, but since I've only completed one Whole 30 successfully I'm calling this my second.) My box of meals from True Fare is arriving today. That's certainly what saved my hide last time! 

I had a bit of a "farewell" binge last night so I'm feeling a bit yucky this morning. Looking forward to getting through the first two weeks and into the good part!

Hello, all! I am starting my second Whole 30 today, and pretty pumped that there are so many of us to help each other along.

I am 62, healthy, and generally very happy with my life. I'm living in beautiful Greenville, SC with my husband, two dogs and two guinea pigs. My four kids are grown and on with their own lives, so I get to concentrate on myself again.

My first W30 was in March of this year. It made such a change in the way I felt physically, mentally, even emotionally -- I have to continue! The focus for that first Whole30 was, "I need this healthful change to my life so I can continue my life adventure."  I think I'll keep that theme again, and expand my changes into meditation and some added movement this time around.

1 hour ago, Crimsann said:

One quick one...this is my absolute favorite W30 recipe.

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/17/chicken-pesto-meatballs-marina/

Thanks so much for this recipe @Crimsann! I hadn't seen this one before, and I'll add it to my prep plans for the weekend.

My favorite recipe is this breakfast casserole, since you can add whatever veggies you have on have on hand and then easily heat up a great breakfast every day of the week:

https://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

Good Luck to us all!

Hi errrrrrbody! I started my first Whole 30 journey today as well. So far so good. Didn’t follow the 7 day meal plan this week but looking forward to implementing it in the future. I’m a junk food junkie, emotional eater & hooked on sugar. I haven’t gone 30 days without fast food well.... ever. I am now a mom of two, a 4 month old & a 2 1/2 year old, so I feel the need to model healthy habits and I need ALL the energy, physical AND mental, I can get which my current lifestyle just zaps. I’m so looking forward to feeling better. Good luck everyone! 

P.S.  

A few sugar cravings so far, but nothing insurmountable. Tea & staying busy has helped thus far. 

8 hours ago, AmandaRG said:

Hi all! Go us for starting today! I attempted the whole 30 about five years ago and made it through 24 days... so my goal is to make it through all 30 this time. I also hope that the good habits stick this time as over time I slid back to my junk food loving ways. Good luck to you all and share good recipes!

I am so happy that you are starting again! I have faith that you will get through the entire 30 days and may even want to do it longer! You came back to it for a reason, just remember that reason and use it as your motivation. Best of luck!

Hi Everyone, Aussie girl here trying to find my way back to health and started on the 1st of June. Not very organised and rather hungry...(Carbs and chocolate are my BIG comfort foods when I am tired). I know we are only a few days in but would love to hear your best tips for success? BTW, i don't know anyone else doing this and only just found the forum so pretty happy to find you all here, hopefully we can cheer each other on. 

1 hour ago, KCore1 said:

How’s everybody doing?? 24 hours in and I’m not feeling so hot! :( headache, nausea, indigestion.. hoping it doesn’t last long!

I'm sorry you're not feeling well - the book said we might feel 'hung over' on days two and three, and while I DO feel a bit groggy and tired (and hungry, because I haven't had breakfast yet), I feel pretty ok...  I hope you feel better soon!

5 hours ago, KCore1 said:

How’s everybody doing?? 24 hours in and I’m not feeling so hot! :( headache, nausea, indigestion.. hoping it doesn’t last long!

I had more of a headache than usual for me starting a W30 yesterday but I’ve got a quiet weekend planned and should be able to ride it out.  Slept in some this morning then did 45 minutes of yoga and some patio gardening.  Had a huge breakfast of eggs and sautéed peppers, onions, and zucchini as well as a small baked potato shredded and crisped and fresh mint iced tea.  I put some salmon out for dinner and will pick up some fresh vegetable side and maybe some berries for dinner.  I love the frozen skin on salmon fillets from Whole Foods for a fast sheet pan dinner.  This link has my favorite technique for cooking salmon.  I like the blueberry topping sometimes, but often just do olive oil and a sprinkle of seasoning.

https://pretenditsadonut.com/2018/02/27/sheet-pan-blueberry-glazed-salmon/

Stay strong this weekend!

Hi all! Day two! I feel lighter already...is that a thing? :) Trying to add some foods in that I haven’t had for a while to make this seem like a treat at times. Went to Whole Foods and remembered why it’s nicknamed Whole Paycheck! Feeling pretty sweaty today and wondering if it’s the lack of sugar or just the North Carolina heat. I’ve checked my thermostat three times and it swears it’s only 70 in here! Hope you all are doing well this first weekend!

I'm feeling slightly foggy-headed and fatigued. Nothing too extreme, but it's definitely there. My past experience says this will last for another 10-12 days.  I feel lighter already, too. I'm peeing like a faucet. Shedding that water weight!

had to run out to the grocery store to get a few things, and the chocolate was definitely calling my name, but I resisted!  :D  I had a good breakfast and lunch, and my teen surprised me by eating the protein salad in bell pepper I fixed for him, along with a few apple slices!  then he made himself a pot of pasta with pesto...:lol:  I'm actually feeling FATTER, if that's possible!

Hi all!

I started the Whole30 on 6/1/18, and so glad to be taking this journey with virtual friends!  This is my second time doing Whole30; my first was 3 years ago to the day and I felt awesome at the end of it.  Unfortunately, we went on vacation immediately afterwards so I didn't do the reintroduction right and went back to my sugary, wine-y ways.  So...this time around I plan to reintroduce foods the right way and stick with healthy eating decisions from now on.  Day 2--and I'm TIRED.  It's amazing how addicted we get to sugar for energy.  The good news is in a week or so I should have adapted to burning fat, and there's plenty of that, baby! ;)

Relieved to know I’m not the only one feeling tired and sluggish today! I did some housework today which pushed lunch a bit later than I would have liked. Afterwards I was having such a craving for sweets!! I have resisted and am enjoying a coffee to pick me up (a habit I am also hoping to kick before the end of the 30 days). 

@Crimsann thanks for posting the meatball recipe - it looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

@KCore1 sorry to hear you’re not feeling great - it won’t last forever and the Tiger Blood is just on the other side (at least that’s what I keep telling myself). Hope you are feeling better soon. 

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend!!

I'm running out of energy...prepping dinner made me so tired!  am taking a break on the couch, feeling the tension in my neck and shoulders, and the ache in my feet and ankles.  and I'm not only not done, I still have to cook!  :mellow:

Hi there!  This is my second W30...however my first was almost 3 years ago.  And I fell back into the "eat everything in sight" mindset pretty quickly after completing it.

My wins however were huge, I coincidentally had my blood checked right around day 29 and all of my numbers were AMAZING!  More recently they were not.  So I'm trying to slim down, and truly make mindful changes.  My emotional connection to food is no joke.

Today is day 2 for me and I feel lousy!  Exactly as described in the book, horrible headache, foggy brain and the couch has been calling my name all day.  I was able to go on a major grocery store run and plan all of my meals through Friday :)  My husband is doing this with me, which is awesome, but our issues with food are totally different and he has far more willpower than I do.

Good luck everyone!  I know feeling great is just around the corner, for tonight I'm off to make dinner and head to my sons' baseball game.

I was reading the book just now, and this line cracked me up:   "We designed this meal plan to stretch your grocery store budget, minimize the time you spend in the kitchen, and..."

my food budget is so far beyond blown, and I feel like I spend every waking minute prepping and cooking meals!  :lol:

I am grateful for the 7-day meal plan, though, even if I can't afford to make it the full 30 days - it's really helping me plan, which is something I'm truly deficient at in the kitchen.  as a single, (poor) working mom, these are the moments when I envy those who aren't the main earners in their families, if they have to work at all.  I feel like I just took on another part-time job, in addition to the full-time one - and several side-hustles - to keep my head above water!

4 hours ago, Mama Pajama said:

ugh...I feel first of all like I'm over-posting in this thread, and second of all, my belly feels gross this morning.  that is all.

Pffft, you think you over post?  You should go back and read my first W30 forum group...trust me this one seems quiet!  But I think we would all rather you keep coming back than to worry you’ve given up.  I’m always so sad when a name I’ve started to recognize goes silent before the end.  

If it helps at all I was working two jobs during my first W30 and I know what a toll it takes at first. The only thing that got me through was cooking up large meals on Sunday and portioning them out.  It meant I ate the same lunch five days in a row, and largely the same dinner as well but once that full day of meal prep was done all I had to do was reheat.  I can tell you no matter how tasty the meal was on Monday by Friday I was a bit over it, but those habits really paid off.  I still do the same thing now even with more time at night and I still think it’s the right balance for me.  

My best advice for anyone getting overwhelmed with the cooking is to keep it simple right now.  The times I suffered the most were when I took on too many different recipes and got in over my head.  Sheet pan dinners are a life saver, the more one pot meals the fewer dishes!  My other most used tool is a large electric griddle, I can reheat some veggies while cooking some sausage and eggs all right on one surface.  Might as well put it to some use since I can’t be making pancakes and it’s a huge time saver for me.  I also started writing out not just my meal plan but how many things I needed to do to make all that.  It may sound like over planning (something you will notice I do) but it helped me visualize how much of my day was going to get taken up and I often swap meals around to lighten the prep.  

Today is my meal prep day so I will be spending it in the kitchen sending strong meal prep vibes out there!  I also loooove plugging in a great audio book while I cook, nothing keeps my mind off the sometimes long hours better!

4 hours ago, Mama Pajama said:

ugh...I feel first of all like I'm over-posting in this thread, and second of all, my belly feels gross this morning.  that is all.

You are not over-posting and, I could be wrong, but I think your belly feeling gross could be normal. I believe I’ve read/heard that as your body adjusts to the new balance of foods it can disrupt digestion at first causing bloating. It also could just be something you’re eating? Maybe keeping a food log/journal could help pinpoint what it is?

As for your grocery and time budget - I think following the seven day plan is great for giving ideas on how to tackle the whole 30, but for me it doesn’t make sense. I do some prep work - I.e have extra cooked chicken (just a matter of throwing extra on a pan when I cook dinner on Sunday) and hard boiled eggs on hand for protein, I wash and cut up my veggies on the weekend and have cans of olives in the cupboard (<$1/can) for when I need extra fats.  As I mentioned earlier, I think this can be done while staying on budget (both saving money and time) you may not get the fanciest meals, but it has worked for me. Some of my favourite quick meals have been ground meat (whatever is on sale) with compliant tomato sauce (like $3/bottle) served with greens and olives, I also enjoy eggs with veggies, and leftover chicken cut up into a salad.  I hope it gets better/easier for you. 

thanks @Crimsann and @ErikaA !

@Crimsann - I was thinking about that 'eating the same meal every day' thing myself, as all the cooking I've been doing has resulted in (several tasty meals and) a fridge full of leftovers that need using up!  not to mention all the dishes I have to wash...  my teen was trying to help out by playing me some music, but all the 'cooking playlists' we tried out were...not to our taste.  :lol:

@ErikaA - yeah, I thought the same about my belly, and looked back in the book to confirm it.  I have been keeping a food journal, but I'm feeling a bit better, now, so I think it's just my digestion reacting to all the new foods.  for instance, I've never eaten mayo, spaghetti squash, roasted red pepper sauce, or green cabbage slaw before!  I'm also not used to breakfast in the morning, or three meals a day.  the 7-Day Meal Plan is great for kitchen dunces like myself, but I need to slow down a bit, and think more critically about what I've got, and what I can do with it, rather than make a new recipe every day!

thank you both so much for the support!  :wub:

Today’s success story?  I remembered to take my reusable bags to the grocery.(mentally doing a happy dance.)

Today’s fail story?  I was three steps from getting in line with my full cart when I realized I had left my wallet at home.  (mentally falling flat on my face.)

:blink:

sooooo meal prep day is getting a bit of a late start, but luckily my plan calls for a huge chunk of meat in the crockpot and I can let that on over night if I need to.  I prepped a trial recipe of a black cherry bbq sauce yesterday, so all I really need to do today is prep salad stuff.  I’ve got this, but very glad I didn’t have a more ambitious plan in place!

7 hours ago, Mama Pajama said:

You are not overposting!  Isn’t that what we’re all here for !

i hope your tummy feels better soon. 

Archived