Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

1 hour ago, AussieChick said:

Hi everyone, sounds like you are all doing really well.  I have certainly noticed more constant energy through the day which is a great start but have been really bloated, quite gassy and had a very upset stomach on day 3. I think it may been the nuts, so have removed those from my diet. If I can't have nuts, would you guys just add extra good fat/extra protein at lunch and dinner? Hopefully that fixes the problem; otherwise I might need to look at low FODMAP...oh my god...scary times.   

Also, any other good breakfast meals for on the go? (i work long hours....yes, i know!) and often eat at my desk. i used to make myself porridge each morning, but obviously that is off the menu!

Hi are there any other foods that may have caused the upset stomach that you have not eaten before? I'm thinking there was another ingredient besides that may have caused this. I would hate for you to not eat nuts, maybe your body needs to just adjust especially if youre not used to it.

Something I like to do for on the go is make egg muffins (take what you would put in scrambled eggs but bake it in cupcake pans), maybe making something like a hash, or a zoodle bowl that you can heat up in the morning and just fry a quick egg in the morning, also try oatless oatmeal with zucchini this is a great recipe! Hope I helped! Stay positive you got this!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LIEvans said:

OK, I’m doing better. For now. But man o man this morning I was ANGRY about things that were, granted, annoying, but nowhere near worth the level of energy I was cooking up about them. 

It will be better soon! The symptoms will blow over soon just make sure no one around you gets offended :lol:

On 6/3/2018 at 7:27 PM, jlw517 said:

Hi all,

My name is Jenn and I'm starting the whole 30 for the second time June 1 as well. I'm looking forward to a periodic fast to refocus and let go of habits and behaviours clung to in the past. I am hoping to learn more about myself, and be able to find other coping methods other than food and be reminded of the gift that it is. Looking forward to journeying together! 

Hi! How is your W30 going? I am also in this to learn more about my emotional connection to food! Best of luck!

Hello!  I haven’t been actively posting but I have been following along.  It sounds like most of us are doing pretty good!

I planned out all of my meals, typed it up in a Word Doc with the page numbers / website of where the recipe was from.  This has been a huge help!  I check it the night before to see if I need to prep/crockpot and I feel prepared.  I have the Whole30 Day-by-Day journal and I write in in every day.  I like the set up and the quick daily reminders of what is going on.

So far the food I’ve cooked has been amazing!  A few W30 recipes and some Nom Nom Paleo recipes.  I made a couple of different sauces on Sunday to get through the week (arugula pesto, avocado crema, & balsamic vinaigrette).  This also helped a lot and added a nice flavor to my lunches when everyone else was eating donuts today.  I went out to dinner tonight for the first time (celebration meal, my son is going to middle school) and it was horrible.  I had halibut, a plain baked potato and steamed veggies.  No flavor at all!!!

I did get a “little” cranky tonight :rolleyes:  Fortunately, my husband is in the same boat so we laughed at each other later.  I feel this weird, calm but cranky/tired feeling.  Like the sunshine is inside me but behind a cloud right now.  Anyone else?

Good luck!  The one week mark is just around the corner......

Day 5... I think I’m just now getting to the hangover part. No appetite, throbbing headache, and just general fatigue. I’m having to force myself to eat :( anyone else? Hoping this will be over soon! Glad I have this whole week off!

6 hours ago, KCore1 said:

Day 5... I think I’m just now getting to the hangover part. No appetite, throbbing headache, and just general fatigue. I’m having to force myself to eat :( anyone else? Hoping this will be over soon! Glad I have this whole week off!

that was my 'Day 3', @KCore1, but I feel Much better now!  hang in there - for me it passed pretty quickly, and while I didn't have much appetite, I made myself eat a little bit anyway.  good luck, and let us know when you're feeling better!

19 hours ago, magsrose said:

This is the book I'm referring to: https://whole30.com/daybyday/ I literally went to the library and checked out all 6 of the Whole30 books. Interlibrary loan them if you have to. I'm following the day by day book, but not writing in it since it's a library book and instead writing my responses on my spreadsheet. I recommend it!

@Mama Pajama I love the day by day book...I had hesitated buying it because I wasn't sure if I would like the "diary" format, but I really think it helped make my last W30 as successful as it was.  I am following along in the book again this time, and it's been interesting to read my thoughts and how my body was reacting the last time compared to this time.  I highly recommend it!

11 hours ago, AussieChick said:

Hi everyone, sounds like you are all doing really well.  I have certainly noticed more constant energy through the day which is a great start but have been really bloated, quite gassy and had a very upset stomach on day 3. I think it may been the nuts, so have removed those from my diet. If I can't have nuts, would you guys just add extra good fat/extra protein at lunch and dinner? Hopefully that fixes the problem; otherwise I might need to look at low FODMAP...oh my god...scary times.   

Also, any other good breakfast meals for on the go? (i work long hours....yes, i know!) and often eat at my desk. i used to make myself porridge each morning, but obviously that is off the menu!

I try to avoid nuts also, as I find they make a bit bloated/gassy.  Rather than nuts, I like to eat avocado, coconut flakes (my favorite), and olives for my fats - these are all good when I want something more substantial to eat, rather than throwing an olive oil based dressing on my salad or ghee on my sweet potato.

As for breakfast on the go - I would suggest a breakfast salad with hardboiled eggs and avocado; an egg-bake with veggies and mayo or avocado (I don't like making this in muffin tins like others have suggested because it is SUCH a pain to clean the muffin tin); or compliant sausage with veggies and some fat.  You could even just package up leftovers from dinner the night before and take that with you on the go, heating it up at work.  The options are endless!! :)

21 hours ago, magsrose said:

I started on June 2nd, so I'm one day behind all of you. This is my first time and I'm taking it very seriously. I started a spreadsheet where I do all my meal planning and reporting similar to the Whole30 Day by Day book. It feels really good to have one place to keep all my thoughts organized, and check off as the day goes on. One thing that has been interesting to me is the concept of your amount of suck is directly related to the amount of junk you consumed before starting. I've been kind of 50% Whole30 leading up to this, so I haven't had any hangover symptoms! Hope ya'll don't mind if I tag along for the ride.

Welcome, glad you joined us!  I couldn't agree with you more about "the amount of suck".  My last round I went into eating pretty clean and didn't have too many difficulties with hangover symptoms.  This time, however, I hadn't been eating as clean up to the start date and I could definitely feel it in the first few days!!!

14 hours ago, LIEvans said:

OK, I’m doing better. For now. But man o man this morning I was ANGRY about things that were, granted, annoying, but nowhere near worth the level of energy I was cooking up about them. 

I feel your pain, @LIEvans! I showed up at the office this morning and the water had been turned off (someone's working on it somewhere).  This means no coffee for me.  Perhaps I should explain a bit more -- THAT MEANS NO COFFEE!!!!!

I am trying to be civil about it, but I would prefer Total World Destruction to this. Being nice to people just makes it worse.

They have chosen a poor day to get on my last nerve, to be sure.

Today is my day 5. Yesterday I noticed for the first time in A LONG TIME that I no longer have neck and upper back pain and stiffness. Hallelujah! I also started getting a little bit of an upset stomach yesterday that has carried over to today. We call it "salad stomach" in my family, but it's just that unsettled feeling that is kind of achey. I think it is the candida die-off. Any of you experience this? Drinking hot peppermint tea has helped.

Thanks for the inspiration for ready-to-go breakfast items. Breakfast is my downfall. I need to devote some time to make-ahead breakfasts so I can grab and go.

you know @magsrose, I felt like my neck and shoulders were less crackly and sore, but I didn't really think anything of it...maybe I should?  my tinnitus is also a bit 'less', but sometimes it comes roaring back after a meal, so I'm not willing to say anything about that, yet, either (but I hear that tinnitus can sometimes be related to neck stiffness)!  I had a rough stomach on my 'Day 3', but I'm better, now.  :)

16 hours ago, AussieChick said:

I'm not sure if someone else already suggested this or not but....I love the frittata recipe in the book.  I made it over the weekend and took a sliver for a morning snack the other day, tastes great at room temperature and easy to make ahead of time.  You can also switch it up other ways.

Lightening fast update bc I have a workout to get in but one tip I always found interesting for people who were used to a hot cereal breakfast is to try subbing in a cup of creamy type soup.  Obviously “creamy” can be sort of hard to achieve with no dairy but getting creative with a sweet potato based soup or something with some coconut cream might help fill the void in a way that eggs don’t and soups have that great portability factor.  And they are a perfect vehicle for veggies.  

Actually I started to type veghicle....which cracked me up more than it should have.

Ya’ll I almost blew it. I poured out some Alexia sweet potato fries on a sheet to bake thinking these will be good with eggs in the morning...then thought I’ve got to check the ingredients just to be sure. Sugar! In sweet potato fries? WTH?!  Also learned that my turkey burgers have sugar. Dammit!

It seems like almost everything has sugar in it!!!  Good thing you caught it

3 hours ago, AmandaRG said:

Ya’ll I almost blew it. I poured out some Alexia sweet potato fries on a sheet to bake thinking these will be good with eggs in the morning...then thought I’ve got to check the ingredients just to be sure. Sugar! In sweet potato fries? WTH?!  Also learned that my turkey burgers have sugar. Dammit!

About breakfast -- this week I planned to fry up some eggs each morning with bacon and veggies, but every morning I opened the refrigerator and thought, "Hey, beef and tomatoes! That looks great!".  So that's what I've been eating for breakfast and it keeps my tummy happy and full for six hours until a late lunch. Then my lunch keeps me well fed until later in the evening when I have just a bit of meat and veggies around 7:00.

The beef & tomatoes recipe is one of my favorite Sunday-prep things: just a pound of ground beef, browned, plus a can of diced tomatoes, a can of quartered artichokes and pepper, garlic salt and onion salt. Simmer on the stove for half an hour or so and store in the 'fridge -- makes four nice meals. You can skip the artichokes or add more veggies to your own liking, too (mushrooms work great).

foods that I have not eaten in my 49 years of life that I ate this week:  mayonnaise, spaghetti squash, roasted red pepper sauce/mayo, green cabbage slaw, steamed spinach (eww, never again!  I prefer it raw), butternut squash, and 'carnitas' - I made mine with chicken.  all homemade, all yummy (except the spinach).  I mixed flavors I would never have thought to mix (protein salad with ground turkey, roasted red pepper mayo, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, celery, onion, grapes, slivered almonds, & nutritional yeast inside a bell pepper?!), and cooked involved recipes with multiple steps, various pots, and differing cooking times on both the stove AND in the oven - some for long hours.  my teen also ate some of these things with me, and discovered that while he wasn't fond of the butternut squash, the roasted red pepper mayo, or the slaw, the carnitas he put between two pieces of whole wheat bread layered with romaine was "the best f^<%ing sandwich he'd ever eaten" (I did ask him to check his language, though I accepted it as a compliment, nonetheless).  I also zested a lemon! 

after tonight's dinner, only three more weeks and 69 meals to go!  mom's coming up next weekend (for the teen's 8th grade graduation), so we'll see how that goes.  I'm looking forward to feeling better and better, and measuring my end result in terms of my doctor's recent diagnosis of type 2 diabetes against another round of bloodwork.  :)

Congrats on all your new food adventures, @Mama Pajama! You are rocking this new lifestyle!

Check out InstaPots if you don't have one yet. On my last Whole30, I promised myself that I would buy an instapot when I reached my 21-day mark and I was thrilled when I got it (on sale even!).  It speeds up cooking, and provides even more food adventure for former non-cooks like me. Plus, there are some great Whole30 Instapot recipes on Pinterest.

thanks @Amy Rose!  I just looked up the InstaPot, and read about three different threads on it mostly singing its praises.  sadly, I have a small kitchen, no storage space, and live so far below the poverty line it would make your head spin!  so I'm gonna say it's not in the cards for me, but I appreciate the suggestion, and simply cooking good meals on the stove/in the oven is enough of a 'win' for me right now.  I used to have a rice cooker, and when it gave up the ghost, I simply re-learned how to cook it on the stove in a pot - when the toaster oven died, I never bothered to replace it because I needed the counter space.  now we just make toast in the oven (not that I'm making toast this month, but the teen toasted a few slices yesterday for his carnita sandwich!  :wub:

I made the sausage-mushroom frittata from the Whole30 cookbook and it is delicious! I get four meals out of it. Tonight I'm making the Zucchini-Wrapped Cod with Roasted Brussels Sprouts. I don't normally rely on recipes all the time, but I'm trying to keep things interesting. Otherwise it will be the same salad over and over for me. Have any of you found ANY compliant options at restaurants?

I'm with @Amy Rose-- I rarely feel hungry and my meals keep me full for hours and hours. Even when I'm hungry, I still feel full ha ha. I think adding more exercise will help.

So I have  Peloton bike and I stopped riding it for the first week because it's a pretty intense workout. Today I decided to give it a go and only rode for 15 minutes, at an easy pace. It was still too much! I've been gassed for the rest of the day.

@LIEvans - that's funny, I helped fill a dump truck full of construction and household garbage for a dump run today, and I not only had the energy for it, I enjoyed working up a soaking sweat!  I tend not to do that kind of stuff anymore, as I have chronic back issues, but it was nice to feel strong and capable again, even if I end up paying for it tomorrow.  :)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, LIEvans said:

So I have  Peloton bike and I stopped riding it for the first week because it's a pretty intense workout. Today I decided to give it a go and only rode for 15 minutes, at an easy pace. It was still too much! I've been gassed for the rest of the day.

It's not unusual for workouts to suffer for the first couple of weeks as your body adjusts to this way of eating, especially if it's a big change from how you were eating before. Be sure you're eating enough, and don't beat yourself up if you don't manage the kinds of workouts you think you ought to -- do what you can, and you should notice it getting better over time.

If you're not sure how to adjust your meals, you can always post in the Troubleshooting section of the forum (https://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/)  with a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes, and other users or mods will try to help you sort it out. 

Archived