Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

My schedule felt out of control today but I got all three meals in and 30 minutes of cardio.  Of course, with only seconds left to post this while it’s still today here but that’s my win of the day.

So...leaving you guys with another of my favorite recipes.  If you aren’t a Cilantro lover this one may not appeal but I fell haaaard for this dressing/dip/sauce the first time I made it.  Planning to whip some up this weekend and do sheet pan salmon hot over a salad with a drizzle of this over.

http://www.tweetpotatopie.com/2014/07/green-goodness-dip-dressing-paleowhole.html

Tomorrow is for putting the final touches on my week 2 meal plan, maybe look around for something new to try this weekend.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg...in my dream last night, someone gifted me a large bag of small chocolate candies, and my son and I opened the bag and started eating them!  after a few, I looked up and said, "omg, I just blew my Whole30!  now I have to start over after only a week!"  :blink:

then I woke up like, "thank goodness, it was only a dream!"  :rolleyes:

I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until days 12 - 15, and I didn't really think it would happen at all (PMS week, anyone?)! 

9 hours ago, Crimsann said:

My schedule felt out of control today but I got all three meals in and 30 minutes of cardio.  Of course, with only seconds left to post this while it’s still today here but that’s my win of the day.

So...leaving you guys with another of my favorite recipes.  If you aren’t a Cilantro lover this one may not appeal but I fell haaaard for this dressing/dip/sauce the first time I made it.  Planning to whip some up this weekend and do sheet pan salmon hot over a salad with a drizzle of this over.

http://www.tweetpotatopie.com/2014/07/green-goodness-dip-dressing-paleowhole.html

Tomorrow is for putting the final touches on my week 2 meal plan, maybe look around for something new to try this weekend.

Mmmm...I love cilantro!! Thank you for posting this, it looks delicious and I will definitely be trying it!!!

All of the posts about the W30 frittatas has me convinced to try and whip one up this weekend!!

This week has been really busy with work and kids activities etc., but I have powered through and am thankful it is almost the weekend.  Yesterday, I struggled a bit with cravings (I think it's largely due to not getting as much sleep as I'd like and maybe from not eating after my workout Wedensday evening), but stuck to the plan.  My meals weren't perfectly in line with the template, but for me, it was more important to make sure I stuck with it rather than worry about the fact that I might not be getting enough veggies with dinner...today will be better!

One small NSV for me has been watching my heart rate go down.  I use a fitbit, which tracks my resting heart rate, and it has gone down 10 beats per minute from day 1!  I wasn't really concerned with this going into the W30, but I find it very interesting.

I hope everyone has a good day!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's highs and lows, as well as recipe recommendations--thanks!  Today after lunch marks the 25% completion of Whole30 (7.5 days), and I'm pumped about that.  I'm weird about percentage infatuation.  Anyway, this is my second time for Whole30; the first time I ate 3 squares a day and lost 16 lbs.  This time I was already doing intermittent fasting for the past 4 months, eating nothing after dinner and waiting till lunch the next day, so I continued that habit into my Whole30.  Basically I eat lunch and dinner.  I don't really feel crazy hungry, but have been tired and draggy in the afternoons.  I'm wondering if this is more due to reduction of sugar or is also impacted by no breakfast?  Anyone else dealing with this?

50 minutes ago, liasmith said:

I've enjoyed reading everyone's highs and lows, as well as recipe recommendations--thanks!  Today after lunch marks the 25% completion of Whole30 (7.5 days), and I'm pumped about that.  I'm weird about percentage infatuation.  Anyway, this is my second time for Whole30; the first time I ate 3 squares a day and lost 16 lbs.  This time I was already doing intermittent fasting for the past 4 months, eating nothing after dinner and waiting till lunch the next day, so I continued that habit into my Whole30.  Basically I eat lunch and dinner.  I don't really feel crazy hungry, but have been tired and draggy in the afternoons.  I'm wondering if this is more due to reduction of sugar or is also impacted by no breakfast?  Anyone else dealing with this?

I love the percentage update!  Gives me hope!

I don't know much about intermittent fasting, some one of the moderators could speak to this better, but I do remember it being specifically called out in one of the W30 books I read before my first one and I'm pretty sure at that time it was discouraged.  I only remember it because I hadn't heard of it before and the next line said something like "if you don't know what this is, don't look it up" so I kind of laughed and moved on.  That may have been in the section for people with no gall-bladder because I sort of remember it being linked to the same area of eating more fat with limited bile resources so I don't know if it applied to everyone.  I will say from my personal experience, I used to do that just as a matter of lifestyle.  Not with any intention, but because I don't like eating in the morning and I don't wake up hungry.  In fact, eating that first meal is one of my biggest struggles with doing a W30, but I have also seen the difference in my energy levels and I know NOT eating is a big part of why I don't feel my best.  3 meals does seem to be a core component though.

Again, I don't know enough about it to make recommendations for or against, but I have a feeling W30 would say not to skip meals.  You might want to post this one in their troubleshooting thread to see what they say about working with fasting or whether that should be out for the 30 days.

I just read all of your posts and I started on June 1 too.  I'm not doing the challenge with anyone close to me, so I was so happy to find this thread and read about your experiences.  Does anyone else work out at 5am?  I'm still trying to get the pre and post workout mini meal thing right and I'd love to hear about what you're doing.

I'm excited we are one week in! I've been thinking so much about sweets... it's been hard. Still sticking to the plan though! Also starting to think about how to come out of this thing... I'm thinking I'll add dairy back since I never really had a problem with dairy that I know of so it'll be interesting to see how I feel with it.

Going to make the Chicken Pad Thai that was posted on the whole 30 facebook today for lunch tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it is!

3 hours ago, Crimsann said:

I love the percentage update!  Gives me hope!

I don't know much about intermittent fasting, some one of the moderators could speak to this better, but I do remember it being specifically called out in one of the W30 books I read before my first one and I'm pretty sure at that time it was discouraged.  I only remember it because I hadn't heard of it before and the next line said something like "if you don't know what this is, don't look it up" so I kind of laughed and moved on.  That may have been in the section for people with no gall-bladder because I sort of remember it being linked to the same area of eating more fat with limited bile resources so I don't know if it applied to everyone.  I will say from my personal experience, I used to do that just as a matter of lifestyle.  Not with any intention, but because I don't like eating in the morning and I don't wake up hungry.  In fact, eating that first meal is one of my biggest struggles with doing a W30, but I have also seen the difference in my energy levels and I know NOT eating is a big part of why I don't feel my best.  3 meals does seem to be a core component though.

Again, I don't know enough about it to make recommendations for or against, but I have a feeling W30 would say not to skip meals.  You might want to post this one in their troubleshooting thread to see what they say about working with fasting or whether that should be out for the 30 days.

Thanks Crimsann for your response.  Here's another exciting percentage:  at the end of the day this Sunday, we will be 33.33333333333333333333% completed! 

You're probably right about breakfast.  I was hoping against hope that I could continue on 2 meals a day because 1) I am used to that and 2) it's one less meal to prepare (in other words--I'm lazy).  I'm sure my energy level will get a boost, and hopefully I'll sleep better.  It seems like I'm sleeping really lightly at night and my eyes pop open at 5am (so only 6 hours of sleep).

3 hours ago, Plantas said:

I just read all of your posts and I started on June 1 too.  I'm not doing the challenge with anyone close to me, so I was so happy to find this thread and read about your experiences.  Does anyone else work out at 5am?  I'm still trying to get the pre and post workout mini meal thing right and I'd love to hear about what you're doing.

Welcome to our group!

I feel like I also don't quite understand the mini meals before and after working out. So, if I work out first thing in the morning, I should 1) eat some protein 2) skip the carbs 3) work out 4) eat more protein 5) skip the carbs again because according to their graph, I don't need it, and then finally 6) eat breakfast? There's no way I would be hungry for breakfast after two servings of protein already. If anyone has insight into this let me know. I'd rather just eat a little something before working out and then eat a great breakfast to follow.

• Moderators

@magsrose and @Plantas -- pre- and post- workout are kind of tricky, especially since what works great for one person, may not work for another person, even though on paper it looks like they should need the same thing. 

If you're working out first thing in the morning, we recommend eating something before you work out -- the template says protein & fat, but there's a fair amount of variation in what works for different people. This wouldn't be a full palm-sized serving of protein, it would just be a couple of bites. Maybe a hard boiled egg, possibly with a bit of oil or mayo. Some people just do a spoonful of nut butter or coconut butter. A few people do a bulletproof coffee type of deal, where you blend coffee with ghee or coconut oil and maybe some coconut milk or collagen powder, depending on what you like. You can also just do a couple of bites of leftover protein. You may have to try a few different things to figure out what works for you, as some things just don't sit well for some people during a workout. 

Post workout, within say 15-30 minutes of working out, have a couple of bites of protein, and maybe a couple of bites of starchy vegetable like sweet potato, potato, turnip, beets, rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, or winter squash like butternut or acorn squash. Here's more about what to have post-wo and why: http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/  Post-wo is especially important if you're doing a lot of weight-bearing exercises, to help aid in muscle recovery. It may be less important if you're doing just cardio. The article I linked goes into this. Again, this is something where you may need to try a couple of different things before you settle on what works for you -- just pay attention to how you're feeling, and if you feel run down or like your workouts are getting worse over time, you'd need to look at changing something.

And yes, any pre- or post-workout food would be in addition to your three meals a day.

34 minutes ago, wholemom3 said:

Day 7!  Anyone else feeling weepy and just out of sorts?  I'm eating well, trying to sleep well but today I'm just off.  I was feeling better earlier this week and it's almost like the hangover came late.  :unsure:

weird - I felt weepy yesterday, but I just got my period, so...I thought that was the reason.  maybe, maybe not, who knows?  :)

Today was my most challenging day to date. We had people over and I really wanted to be able to eat what they were having. But I persevered.

They say the second Whole 30 is harder than the first, and so far I’m finding that to be true. I don’t remember the last one being this hard.

9 hours ago, wholemom3 said:

Day 7!  Anyone else feeling weepy and just out of sorts?  I'm eating well, trying to sleep well but today I'm just off.  I was feeling better earlier this week and it's almost like the hangover came late.  :unsure:

I felt yucky on Day 7 (or is it Day 8?) too, with a headache that lasted all day and all night.  I'm going to cut down my coffee today and see if caffeine is the culprit.

Now that I look, it is “my time” soon so that makes some sense. Also, I’m not comforting myself with baked goods so I’m probably more aware of it. 

I’m adding sweet potatoes to my meals, that is supposed to help. 

Power on friends!!  

Headed to a cookout tonight, not a particular challenge because the other guests include my Mom and sister who have been around me through any number of my W30’s and my two little nieces.  Usually the biggest challenge is dodging the two-year old if she gets it in her mind that it would be funny to feed Tt.  

But I thought since I’m bringing my own food I might try something different and whisked together a sort of lemongrass/mint/oil/vinegar dressing to put over some slaw mix and maybe top with toasted almonds.  Mom stopped in and I gave her a tiny taste...her comment?

”tastes like furniture polish”

And here I thought it was coming together real well.  Guess I won’t have to worry about sharing.  

Other than the Day 2 headache I’m coasting along so far.  I have experienced nearly nightly food dreams though @Mama Pajama and I agree it seems early for that.  I’ve had a chocolate one and one involving Thanksgiving dinner of all things.  

3 hours ago, Mama Pajama said:

furniture polish...damn, that's harsh, @Crimsann!  good luck at the barbecue, and maybe dodging your niece can count as exercise ~ :ph34r:

Yes.  Harsh.  But, this is the same woman who made some kind of Heath Bar Brownies to take and has now spent half the ride there explaining...in detail...how she made them.  <_<

today I made aioli and pesto.  gonna poach some chicken breasts tomorrow, and use the stock for butternut squash soup.  then I'm gonna make 'veggie scrap' soup from all the veggie peels and ends I've been saving in the freezer.  looking forward to making sunshine sauce with tahini, and seeing how that works...(just thawed the tomato sauce for use tonight, and still have roasted red pepper sauce in the freezer).  don't know why I'm digging making all these sauces - maybe because I'm tired of cooking meat and veggies?

46 minutes ago, Mama Pajama said:

today I made aioli and pesto.  gonna poach some chicken breasts tomorrow, and use the stock for butternut squash soup.  then I'm gonna make 'veggie scrap' soup from all the veggie peels and ends I've been saving in the freezer.  looking forward to making sunshine sauce with tahini, and seeing how that works...(just thawed the tomato sauce for use tonight, and still have roasted red pepper sauce in the freezer).  don't know why I'm digging making all these sauces - maybe because I'm tired of cooking meat and veggies?

That all sounds amazing!

Archived