Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

On 6/23/2018 at 2:08 PM, Mama Pajama said:

hey @ThisAgrarianSoul - I think you could Totally do a local Whole30, and I was just thinking to myself today that I haven't gotten to the farmer's market yet, and how I need to put it on my calendar!  I'm in zone 5A or 5B depending on who you talk to, and I haven't successfully grown anything on my current porch as of yet.  last year, my cat knocked the window box of the railing, and this season I started too early, and the winter came roaring back, so many of my seedlings didn't survive.  I can still probably get something in though...

For sure you can get a fall planting on lettuces, at least! And they do well in container gardens. This year was truly trying for spring planters...we lost a bunch of carrots, and then when I did get my seeds in the peas and beans wouldn't germinate. Gardeners are always optimists, and our favorite saying is 'maybe next year', lol. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@magsrose I love the idea of an exercise night! 

@AmandaRG I completely agree about re-introductions! I am almost hesitant to add anything back in. We do have raw goat's milk, so I thought about using that in my morning green machine smoothie instead of coconuts milk to start. Nom Nom ice cream sounds wonderful, though! 

Weekend went well- I feel like I have gotten through the feelings of neglect when sitting at a cookout where everyone is eating sugar and carbs! That is huge for me- I never thought I would have that willpower. Same for random snacking- I never thought I could pass through the kitchen and not grab a handful of 'something' processed or sweet.

My clothes are looser, and I am dying to step on the scale. Why does that number mean so much to me, though? Shouldn't it be enough to know that inflammation is down, and I can see definition where it wasn't before? 

Have a good day all- I am so glad I found this thread and can be a part of your journey and you mine!

I had a pretty good weekend, been having some cravings, but I'm okay with that.  still kind of flying by the seat of my pants, but 'getting it' in theory if not yet in practice.  I over-indulged a bit with Sunday night dinner and paid for it, but that was worth learning, too - it's Not the Chinese food place making me sick, it's the overeating I do when I eat the Chinese food.  it's the same with healthy foods.  too much equals a sour stomach and unfortunate intestinal side-effects; I need to find a different way to cope. 

here's my blog for the week, thanks for reading!  https://theunusedportion.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-whole6.html

I went to Walmart last night to pick up some things, and I had a hard time not ripping open a package and eating things right there in the store.  Is it because we're in the home stretch and can start introducing foods?  It may have been because i had to work super late and hadn't had much to eat.  I ate some coconut chips and scrounged some dried apricots from the bottom of my desk drawer before I left.  I ate a proper meal at about 9pm after I had prepared it, but I'm still struggling this morning.  I even wanted soft serve ice cream this morning on the way to work because I saw a Dairy Queen.  I'm allergic to dairy and haven't been in one for at least ten years.  :(

@Plantas well I woke up from dreaming that I had snuck food into my bedroom to eat it so no one would see.  Bread.  And not even good bread this was part of a loaf of brown bread and was still partially frozen!!!!

Weird food urges still pop up no matter where you are in the program I think.  I just have to remind myself that even if I can reintroduce a food, if I’m doing so because I’m craving it I probably better not.  

I’ve never done a perfect reintroduction, and with vacation coming up this won’t be the time either.  But, I think my best advice would be to write out now what you plan to reintroduce and on which days.  That way you still have a deliberate plan through that phase and won’t let any stray food impulses guide (and probably wreck) your good intentions.  It doesn’t mean you can’t plan to reintroduce something you will truly enjoy, just make sure it was a conscious choice and not because you were tempted by something in the moment.

At least I think that’s how I would feel still in control and getting the most out of my 30 days.

I went to Costco last night for the first time since starting Whole30 and I was so overwhelmed by all the non-compliant foods there. No wonder America is overweight. I got out of there with raw cashews and a watermelon. But here's the kicker: I was responsible for our staff birthday party dessert today, so I had to buy one of those massive All-American chocolate cakes and serve it to my coworkers, all without taking a single bite. It was a drag, but it's over and I'm feeling good the rest of the day instead of stuffed and lethargic. I've learned that when facing decadent foods and cravings, it will all be over soon and you won't even be thinking about it a few hours from now. You'll feel good and those who indulged will feel a little yucky, right?!

@magsrose I actually had totally the opposite experience at Costco! I found it to be a gold mine for Whole30-compliant items! I found compliant deli turkey, smoked pulled pork, sausage links, prosciutto, pre-cooked chicken chunks, canned tuna, non-frozen cauliflower rice, spices, and all sorts of other things! 

I wonder if it depends on location? I live in California so we tend to have a plethora of healthy foods options everywhere.

Anyway, perhaps it's worth another look? Being able to buy avocados and sweet potatoes and guacamole and super-easy-to-cook (or no-cooking-at-all) meats was so, so nice! 

On 6/26/2018 at 5:04 PM, kirbz said:

@magsrose I actually had totally the opposite experience at Costco! I found it to be a gold mine for Whole30-compliant items! I found compliant deli turkey, smoked pulled pork, sausage links, prosciutto, pre-cooked chicken chunks, canned tuna, non-frozen cauliflower rice, spices, and all sorts of other things! 

I wonder if it depends on location? I live in California so we tend to have a plethora of healthy foods options everywhere.

Anyway, perhaps it's worth another look? Being able to buy avocados and sweet potatoes and guacamole and super-easy-to-cook (or no-cooking-at-all) meats was so, so nice! 

I'm with kirbz, the 2 lb bag of cauli rice for $3.99!  avocados, roma tomatoes, the baby creamer potatoes, broccoli florets, their meats, etc are all a regular part of my 95% whole 30 day to day life.  But kirbz, I've never seen compliant smoked pulled pork or prosciutto in my SoCal Costcos, can you share the brands?  Please?  Don't make me beg! :D

@Jim4884 Haha, I won't make you beg! I'm glad to hear you've had good luck at Costco too! Here's a list of my favorites (including the pork and prosciutto): 

• Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork (just boil the package for 12-15 minutes and it's ready to go)
  • Aidells Chicken and Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage
  • Parma Prosciutto di Parma
  • Farmhouse Culture Classic Caraway Kraut 
  • True Story Organic Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Snack Packs (can you say post-workout meal anyone?)
  • True Story Organic Chicken Breast (they're chunks of chicken breasts that are great pre- or post-workout, or I've even created a meal with them when in a rush)
  • Organic Cauliflower Rice (just add some ghee, sautee it up, and you're good to go) 

I am working on my reintroduction plan and I'm not sure about portions.  When I reintroduce legumes, should I have only a small portion?  I wanted to start with beans so maybe a quarter cup, or is it better to try just a tablespoon?  How do I know which one affects me if I try three different ones, or are we supposed to go back after the two days back on program to try one at a time? 

I was also wondering if anyone had heard of food allergies going away after the Whole30.  About five years ago my allergist told me to try out dairy every couple of years to see if I still get hives, so I figured now would be a good time to do that.   I haven't even had trace amounts in 30 days.  I think I'll do that one on a weekend though. 

yes!  day 28!  working on our re-introductions!  I've been thinking about how I want to 'celebrate' completing my Whole30, and the truth is, I don't want to eat, cook, or clean for a few days!  seriously.  I need a break.  the 'three meals a day' has been really hard these past few days, and I had a couple of 'two meals a day' days in a row.  I want all the things - ice cream, dinner out, cheeseburger and fries, chocolate, whipped cream...but I also don't want to mess up the cool, new ecosystem I have going in my gut.  I'm thinking of staying as 'Whole30' as I can afford, for a bit, and just seeing how that goes.  I'm also really anxious to get on a scale, because I feel like my belly is smaller.  it's still huge, by all accounts, and I'm still massively overweight, but maybe not as massively overweight as I was on June 1st.  my blood sugar/insulin or whatever you call it when you use a glucometer is pretty evenly in a good range, and I feel good, so, why stop?  maybe just one square of an organic endangered species dark chocolate bar?  probably not.  I'll probably do the re-introductions just like they say in the book, and make my next decision from there.  good luck everyone ~ the finish line is in view! 

@kirbz  thank you for that list, I may have to check my network for an active member and go explore the Costco in my area!  Those turkey packs do sound beyond ideal!

My bonus workout night...well I will get in my usual regime but any extra got burned out with a late work night.  My bosses first day of vacation and we had one system wide crash and the report that crashed it was crunching some numbers that had to be run tonight.  So I ended up staying late and helping to brainstorm another way to get that done maybe without a second system crash?  My personal preference.  Sigh...

so, does a mental workout count?!?

I forgot to do the exercise night. I was in the kitchen until after 9:00. I still have 3 more days, but I'm definitely continuing through July, so reintroductions are not on my mind right now. My first 30 days, I've stayed close to the Whole30 Day by Day book and my spreadsheet where I record everything, but for the next 30 days, I want to break away from the hand-holding and see what it's like to live Whole30 freestyle (still meal prepping, of course). I'll keep recording my NSVs as well. I am excited/nervous to step on the scale on July 2nd. I honestly don't think my body composition has changed much. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. And I'm going into it knowing that whatever the scale says, I will use that to motivate me to do a successful Whole60. 

Can you believe tomorrow is our last day?! I can't... I wasn't sure I was going to make it for a few days there around 18-20... all I could daydream about was pie, cake, cookies, ice cream... not I'm like meh. I wanted to share an amazing recipe with you guys... last night I made Nom Nom Paleo's Chicken Chow Main (without the mushrooms cause I hate mushrooms) and sugar snap peas instead of spinach. It was honestly one of the best recipes I've ever made. I swear it tasted like it had honey in it or something... Here's a link in case you want to try:

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/08/08/2017080720170807paleo-chicken-chow-mein

Happy almost done with our whole 30!

@AmandaRG  ooh thanks for the recipe tip, I’ve seen a couple Chow Mein recipes and always sort of hesitated because I don’t always like the “real versions”.  At the same time I have always suspected that I would like a more all natural one.  And this is a perfect time to start stretching my meal plan beyond mostly tried and true faves.  

Ive been thinking about found some Salisbury Steak Meatballs and Mashed Potato (mashed with coconut milk) for lunches next week but I’ve been flailing around about dinners and that might be just the inspo I needed.  Especially since I can cram that full of veggies while my lunch is more protein/fat dense.

On our last day I just want to say this has been such a steady group and I’ve really enjoyed doing this with you.  I’m going to miss reading up on all of you so for those not going into July, drop in and say hi and I hope you get the most out of your reintroduction time.  

For those of you facing/looking forward to a Day 31 weigh in, I have one last trick to pass on that’s always helped me do a real check on progress without letting one single number make or break me.  I always set out to check in on myself by planning to deliberately weigh myself about four times spread over two days.  Then I go with the average.  I’ve always found it fascinating to see how much it does swing from morning to night or day to day and the first time I did this it helped more than anything to break the hold that number had on me.  

Or, of course, after all the work this month feel free to go with the lowest number too, lol!

Personally I had found I always seem to weigh the least on Monday morning and it’s left me nearly convinced that two days away from work lightens me in some real non-food related way.  Does stress actually add pounds?!  Maybe so.

I agree @Crimsann it has been really helpful to have us all go through the month together on this forum. I hope you all got out of it what you hoped! I definitely have less sugar cravings, but fear 30 days has not been long enough to tame my sugar dragon. I’m going to try and eek out a few more weeks of being sugar free and see how it goes from there. Definitely like @crimsann said, I hope we can all keep checking in over the next month or so to know how everyone is doing!

I'm proud of everyone who hit 30 days today. I'd love to hear more about your final thoughts, day 31 reflections, reintro experiences, etc. I'll add mine as well. I ran into a friend today who's done Whole30 twice, and her advice was to take reintro slow, like focus on one food group for a week at a time. And with sugar start very slow, like with honey, etc. I think I'll try to take her advice on that!

Although the day is not over yet, I did my last June workout and had the satisfaction of watching that third ring close for the last time this month making the thirty day streak perfect.  I then came upstairs and found my neighbors setting off fireworks. 

No doubt in celebration for me?!?

(or, oh wait, I guess there is that one certain holiday coming up...still made me giggle!)

Hurrah to all of you...picture me tossing confetti in your general directions!

congratulations, everyone!  thanks for the support, and the recipes, I really appreciate it.  as much as I want to weigh myself, I don't own a scale, so I have to wait until Monday and pop into my doc's office.  that way, I'll have my starting weight (from my last visit) and my ending weight done on the same scale, and I can ask them if they'll consider redoing my bloodwork, so we can see if I managed to affect any other changes, as well.    hope to see you around on the other forums, or here, or somewhere else - I am so happy we've been here for each other!  :wub:

Well, we made it, folks!  I am so pumped about the benefits:  mostly the NSVs, but I lost 14 lbs as well. :)   The last week was the hardest for me, mainly because my husband and I were on vacation in a town we visit frequently.  As I walked down Main Street and saw all the cool restaurants and bars that I'm WAY TOO familiar with, my mouth started watering for those glasses of wine, mixed drinks, appetizers, ice cream, etc., etc., etc.  However, I stuck to my guns and remained compliant.  The other really difficult day on our vacation was the post 13.5-mile hike cravings.  As we were dragging our weary bodies back to the truck, images of Italian cream cake, pizza, cold cereal and milk, grilled cheese sandwiches...were all dancing in my head. LOL.  I've got my 14 day reintroduction schedule planned (yes, I am starting with that glass--or two--of wine today), and I will be checking this feed to see how others are doing as well.  Congratulations all!!

Today is my day 31 of Whole60, so I'm treating today like I'm back at day 1. I did weigh myself to capstone my Whole30 and I was pleased with the 12 pounds I lost. I have a long ways to go, but I am making progress. My favorite NSVs are clear skin, no headaches or neck/back tension, faded stretch marks, clothes fitting looser, no more sugar cravings, peppier mood. I didn't take measurements before or after, but I can tell there is a loss. I'm more motivated than ever to keep going. Summer is an amazing time to do Whole30.

My most consistent cravings during Whole30 were buttered toast and popcorn. I was surprised at how much I thought about those foods. I never craved sugar, just the buttery carbs! But, there's no point on dwelling on these cravings, because it will be at least another 30 days before I reintroduce.

Congrats everyone who made it to the finish line! What an accomplishment!!

Many non-scale victories, but so excited that I lost 10 lbs too. NSV today- it's my bday so work got a PB Fudge cake and I had a little sliver...but did not even eat it all...and don't really want it! Previously, I would have eaten a huge piece at 10am then had another at 3pm! Gack... So proud of myself for knowing when enough was enough!!

Looking forward to seeing others post! 

I have a lot of non-scale victories (all listed on my final blog post for this week), but what's really bringing it home for me is that I lost 30 pounds!  kind of amazing, really, but I'm still really fat, so...I'm just going to keep at it a bit longer.  I did reintroduce legumes, but that's it so far, and I'm in no hurry to reintroduce dairy, sugar, or gluten containing grains.  keep in touch, peeps, I'm going to be posting on this thread, and possibly others, in order to keep myself involved and on track.  I'm not going to do another round just yet, because it really was a strain on my finances, but I'm also not going to go back to the 'bread and cheese' cycle I was on, so...stay tuned! 

https://theunusedportion.blogspot.com/2018/07/monday-130pm-leftover-spaghetti-squash.html

Archived