Day 5- help! Not eating enough? Low energy?

Day 5 here.. doing well minus the fact that I have NO energy. Like slept 10 hours a night and still exhausted.. feel like maybe I'm not eating enough? but I'm satisfied at meals and am not hungry in between. I've always had a hard time eating big meals, my body responds better to 4-6 smaller meals, as opposed to 3 big meals per day. It helps with my GERD. But nonetheless, since I started whole 30 I've stopped snacking and tried to eat bigger meals. Here's a sample of my eating. *Note, I'm usually pretty active- gym around 4-5x a week, 60+ min of cardio and some lifting.

Breakfast: 2-3 scrambled eggs with spinach, peppers and onions, chicken sausage, mango

Lunch: spinach + romaine salad w/ shrimp, dates, homemade balsamic dressing & 1 apple

Dinner: baked chicken thigh with 1 microwaved sweet potato + half an avocado.

Thoughts/advice please!

Thanks, 
Kira

• Moderators

You're probably not eating enough... you have no fat with your breakfast, greens when they are your veggie need to be a bucketful to make an impact (think of them when cooked down how very little volume there is) and unless your chicken thigh at dinner was off a pterodactyl, it was probably not sufficient either.  You also seem to not note pre or post workout meals so those should be added - the post workout at the very least.

If due to a medical condition, you do better with more frequent smaller meals, that's fine, just make sure you're still eating the equivalent of 3 template meals a day and don't stick fruit and nuts or other 'snacky' stuff in there to make up the difference of smaller meals... 

Also remember to salt your food, drink 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight and remember that some level of energy loss is totally normal.  

What kind of fat do you recommend I add to my breakfast? I’m allergic to treenuts, so it’s been tricky adding fat. I do enjoy avocado and eat 1 whole one per day. Would anymore be too much?

note- before starting this I ate pretty healthy anyways, I don’t eat dairy bc of allergies as well. As for the pre and post workout snacks I’ve been eating a chomp stick before and half a chicken thigh after.

What additions do you suggest I add to my meals to up my energy levels ? Thanks 

• Moderators

There are a lot of fats you can use outside of tree nuts.. mayo, mayo based sauces, avocado (eating more than one in a day isn't terrible) guacamole, animal fats, coconut (drupe, not treenut), olives, pesto etc... if you google 'whole30 fats' you should come up with tons of conversations about this.

I would add fat to your breakfast, heartier veggies to your lunch and increase the protein size of dinner.  basically, more food.

Archived