Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Greetings and welcome to what I hope can become a central place for people who started on 1/1/13 to share experiences/questions/successes. I see that there are numerous people who started 1/1/13, but no central thread for us to gather. So we will see if this thread takes off.

This is actually my 2nd whole 30. I did one back in September that actually lasted around 45 days. I have never in my life felt as good as I did after about 10 days in. I originally embarked on the whole 30 to ease some joint pain in my hips so I could run painlessly again. During the whole 30, the relief was so minor each day that I didn't notice the difference UNTIL the holidays hit and I gave way to wine and desserts. Even though at the time I didn't see the relief in my joints, the other benefits I saw way more than compensated for changing my eating. I historically woke up about 5-7 times a night. I was an awful sleeper my entire life, sleeping with ear plugs and and eye mask from high school on (I am now 40). After about 10 days in to my last whole 30, I actually slept through the night for the first time in my life. While I used to lie awake for hours before finally falling into a restless sleep, by the end of the whole 30, I was able to sleep without ear plugs. Even after adding sugar back in over the holidays, I still slept better (not as well, but better than before) and still haven't needed to use my ear plugs or eye mask.

I also effortlessly lost about 12 pounds during those 45 days. While I used to be an avid exerciser, I pretty much gave up focused activity (still played a lot with my kids) in order to see if I could ease my joint pain. I saw a VISIBLE difference in the quality of my skin on my legs (less cellulite) after a week or so and my belly totally flattened. Even when I lost weight after my babies (50 lbs), I still never saw such a visible difference. I have never felt so fantastic. I was also a slave to the scale and while I can't say I followed the rule of not stepping on the scale during my first whole 30, I am totally following that rule this go-round. By the end of my whole 30, I was able to banish the scale and still don't get on it very often.

I think the absolute best thing about doing the last whole 30 was getting rid of my additction to sugar (although I learned after eating it again, the addiction came back pretty quickly). It was such a relief to not have thoughts of sweets occupying my brain all day at work. It allowed me to focus on other things and as crazy as it sounds, freed up so much brain time!

I have been looking forward to feeling awesome again and can't wait for all the first timers out there to be able to experience the life changing days ahead. You can do it! It is really not that hard. You will have difficult moments, but keep the end in mind. You owe it to yourself to see what can happen in 30 days. In the greater scheme of things, it is only a month. I totally went into my first whole 30 thinking it was just a 30 day experience. Now I know much too well how awesome I can feel so it really has revolutionized my life. I have not added back any grain or dairy - I don't miss it at all! But sugar is something I will have to watch my entire life. But it is worth it!

Good luck to all and I hope you have an AMAZING day 2!!!!

Laurie

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I started yesterday and I'm hoping to see many of the same benefits you did in your first round. Have aches and pains galore and a belly to ditch for sure. Also, I wake up every night a 3am and I'd really like for that to stop. I was just wondering what, if any, kind of exercise most people do during the whole30. I have been running for a few years now and was thinking of shaking things up. Not sure how though.

I posted another thread about how I went vegan over the last 2 years and I am converting back with this whole 30. Should be a wild ride . . .

I started 6 days ago and can definitely understand why you had trouble staying off the scale your first go-round. It is so tempting!

I also relate to your statements about grain & dairy not being so missed, but needing to watch out for sugar. Ten years ago I followed the Atkins plan for 6 months. Though I didn't stick with it (dratted happy hours as an intern), I've never resumed the amount of bread/rice/pasta/soda/juice that I ate before. Those aren't even that difficult for me to say "No" to... but dessert, yikes. "Cookie" was actually one of my first words as a child and the love has continued. So far, though, I'm staying away from them easily on this Whole30.

Best wishes to all of us participating on the Whole30!

Good morning! Today is my first day as well, I am really excited. I worry I am not strong enough to eliminate the awful foods/drinks I have been putting into my body for 38 years! Anyone else feel this way? Why is something as insignificant as junk food stronger than my will sometimes?

Anyways, here I go!

Laurie

post-11842-0-75984000-1357138384_thumb.j

This is also my 2nd go around. I gained a few pounds over the holidays even though I eat primarily eat Paleo. Too many Paleo cookies and some diversion off the road with drinks. My challenge will be to take my best friend out for his bachelor party and stay Whole 30. I can use the excuse of being the designated driver though.

I do Crossfit but was having medical issues during that time on my first run and still lost 12lbs. I hope that now that I am back to Crossfit 5 days a week that doing the Whole 30 will greatly improve how I feel and the over-all results, even if it is just losing the holiday weight. I have been working through the pre/post work-out food more this go around and hope to try new recipes. I had too many go-to recipes last go around and it did get a bit boring. I want to liven it up.

Good luck everyone!

Hi--I was diagnosed with late-stage, disseminated Lyme disease 3 years and 2 months ago.

My healing process since that time has followed the pattern of first year, sleep; second year, creep; third year, leap.

This year (the third year), I have taken two major wellness strides!!!! The first was in May when I

started to use diatomaceous earth. Within 3 days, I began to experience less fatigue and renewed optimism!!! (I think the DE removed heavy metals that I'd been unable to eliminate from my body and supplied minerals that I sorely needed.)

The second stride was at the beginning of November when I started eating "paleo". Before 5 days had passed, I was finding myself accomplishing all kinds of things that had been sitting on my to-do list waiting for me to come up with the energy to accomplish them!!!! With paleo, I realized that there were no built-in limits to the amount of healing and health that I'd be able to experience or to the goals that I'd be able to accomplish over time.

So now, I'm here to develop good food habits so that I can keep paleo going as a life-style over the long haul.

I'm happy to be able to join a community that has many goals in common with mine.

Margie

Hi all,

It's so nice to be a part of a "support group" since I am one of two people in my gym who are Paleo and the only person in my family who is Paleo. I look forward to being a part of this group to get through this challenge together!!

I'm officially recommitting myself to being strictly paleo, and getting back on track. My boyfriend proposed on Christmas Eve, right after I had foot surgery, and I've been excited and drugged-moody at the same time. I really want to be healthy and happy on our wedding day this coming September.

Full disclosure: I'm doing this Whole 30 mostly because I have an autoimmune disease, Alopecia Areata (random hair loss), and after taking 6 classes last semester (and working full time), I also have a bad case of eczema that just hasn't subsided. I was probably 80% paleo 100% of the last four months (the last semester), and know that this way of life will help reduce inflammation, heal my gut, and heal up my hair loss.

I'm keeping my diary and weekly updated photos of my scalp, so I'll have motivation as the hair comes back in on my head, to keep going with a strictly paleo lifestyle. If anyone else has had a similar situation that they've experienced with leaky gut and autoimmune or skin disorders, I'd love to hear from you.

I'm so happy to be part of this group and look forward to finishing this together!

-Jess

Started on the first, too. I have been doing a similar plan for over a year. In Fall of 2011, I started following the 4 hour body with great success. That lasted until I wanted to step up my game and joined CrossFit in March of 2012. I adopted an 80% Paleo until Sept of 2012 when my box did a strict Paleo challenge for 9 weeks (Lurong Living's). I had such great results on it that I have stuck with the plan. I took off Christmas to the New Year and am ready to be strict again. I joined because I was intrigued by the emails and forum.

Good luck to us all!

Hi all, This is my day 2. I did an unofficial 30 day last fall after my chiropractor challenged me to go 30 days eating only meat, fruit and veggies. I didn't have the book so I didn't understand all of the rules and reasons for things. I wasn't very pure but I felt the positive difference eating this way made in the way I felt and the weight I lost. Reading It Starts With Food has encouraged me to do it the right way. This is very scary to attempt because I have so many food triggers and tend to avoid looking at anything having to do with body. I am obese, not terribly active, spend too much time at my job ( I am a teacher), have a lot of the negative hormonal responses, food allergies/ sensitivities, and probably leaky gut as described in the book. I really feel like I can change this and I want to make this work. My husband is supportive but doesn't want to do it and does most of our cooking week nights. I need to find balance - exercise more, stress less, figure out how to work less and eat better. As I write this, I realize I am excited about this new adventure I am on/ I am also thrilled to be doing this with other people.

asereth

Hi, I started my 30 days yesterday, may have been a mistake as I was feeling depressed and felt left out even though there were others in the household doing the 30 challenge also. I'm hoping the post holiday blue will pass. I know that eating this way is so much better, I'm taking it a step further than I usually do. I do body building and contest prep is so similar, now I am just not eating my fav. Julian bread or having my favorite dressing on salads (galeos) or creamer in my java. That one is the hardest. Good luck to everyone. I know you will feel better!

Great to read all these introductions. I hope we can keep posting updates here as the days progress.

This is my first Whole 30. I'm congratulating myself on having now gone ~18 hours without sugar. I hardly know what to do without my trusty bag of peanut M&Ms at the ready...

I started on the 1st as well. First day went well, but now I'm sitting at work and think I didn't add enough protein to my lunch-time salad. Might have to venture out to find some nuts and veggies to tide me over until dinner.

I'm really happy to see this thread! I find a general chat thread is nice to keep tabs on others who are in the same boat as you without going into the full detail of a daily log

This is my 3rd Whole30 and I feel bound and determined to actually finish this one. My previous two were more like a Whole29 and a Whole18!

I also just signed up to take my first ever CrossFit class this saturday. I'm scared, but excited!! A good excuse to make some sweet potato hash... so long as I work hard enough to earn a recovery meal ;)

Hi All!

This is my second Whole30 and I am STOKED! I had great success in the fall with it and though I stayed pretty compliant even after the 30 days, I did add some treats and wine into my diet during the holidays. While I kept the weight off, I really enjoyed the Whole30 and talked 4 members of my family as well as 3 friends into starting yesterday and we are now all doing it together! Fun! Fun! Fun!

If this is your first time, don't freak. Everyone here is super helpful and it really (REALLY) is not as hard as you think it will be to give up the breads and sugars. I know, because I am a carb junkie and I did not develop any twitches. ;-)

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to reading your posts!

Happy New Year!

Hey everyone! Started my first Whole 30 today and I'm very optimistic right now reading how many other people I'll be going through it with! I hope I will be bale to sleep without medication for the first time in many years and also to feel better about my body. Losing weight will make me nothing but happy, but I would love to just feel better!

@jtota - I'm integrating meat back into my diet after being vegetarian for three years too. Had to start having more energy...

Good luck everyone! We can do this!

I also just signed up to take my first ever CrossFit class this saturday. I'm scared, but excited!! A good excuse to make some sweet potato hash... so long as I work hard enough to earn a recovery meal ;)

Well done @mrstrudo! What a bold step. As John Cage says, "There's nothing we really need to do that isn't dangerous." I think the fact that it feels scary is a very positive sign.

I joined a Crossfit gym in October and have been loving it. Have never been an athlete, just "kinda-sorta" fit. The Crossfit workouts definitely feel like a big step up from just going to the gym on my own. It has been rewarding to watch my body change and to experience the feeling of strength that comes from doing the workouts. I hope you have a terrific experience on Saturday.

Hi all! This is my first whole 30 and I started yesterday. I have various aches and pain, "seasonal allergies" (maybe they are something else), and I am about 80 lbs overweight. I have lost 20 over the last several years. Trying to get rid of the excess weight once and for all.

I was used to eating 1 greek yogurt and granola for breakfast. Now I feel like I have a brick in my stomach with eggs scrambled with spinach, mushroom and onion. I'm hoping this goes away.

Hi all! This is my second W30, after completing one in September. I gained back most of the weight I lost during that one. Ah well.

This time, I am trying to just go with the flow. I know I can't rely on nuts as a good snack as my belly cannot digest them well. I also plan on adding in more yoga. Mostly, I'm interested to see what I will learn this time. Good luck to all!

This will be my second Whole30. The first go round in August resulted in emotional distress and unneccesary second helpings of dinner, all from avoiding dessert. I almost cried the day I iced my roommate's triple layer dark chocolate and raspberry cake without once licking the chocolate ganache off my hands. Physically, I felt just as good as I had following the Primal Blueprint (I love my aged cheeses, red wine, and dark chocolate), but I felt psychologically unwell and had gained two pounds by the end of the month.

It may seem strange that I want to do another, given my first experience, but now I come into it with my eyes open. This time, I know there will be evenings I want to pull my hair out from the cravings, but I need to try a strict approach for a time to counteract the "moderation" that became sheer indulgence in December. This is the best strategy I can think of to gain control over my cravings, until I finally learn to ride my own bike.

....I almost cried the day I iced my roommate's triple layer dark chocolate and raspberry cake without once licking the chocolate ganache off my hands.

Wow. I am amazed. I absolutely would have shed some tears over this. You obviously have some inner fortitude!

Checking in for three! My husband, mom and I are doing our second W30 this month, after a very successful August 2012 W30 experience. We have a longer story to share and will sometime write up properly- highlights include co-owning and living at a Historic Inn (think hotcakes complete with homemade syrups, warm chocolate chip cookies and homemade whole-wheat toast in your house EVERY DAY). I also have two small children, a daily hour commute to my full-time job, live 30 minutes from a grocery story and have very limited access to a kitchen with a stove or oven.

The point is, if we can do it, so can everyone else. Because we've found it is TOTALLY, completely worth it. We each feel and look better than we have in many years (maybe ever).

Keep strong, dear people. We look forward to following your journey!

Hi...started my first Whole30 yesterday on 1/1/13. I have been trying to avoid wheat and most carbs for the past year, however, have not ever given up wine for 30 days. I have personally had a very challenging past 3-4 months, so also put on a few more pounds with food, booze and stress. I will also confess that did something pretty stupid in preparation for Whole30 and this past weekend before New Year's ate appetizers, cheese, bread and junk that I was so sick and feverish on New Year's Eve that I couldn't eat or drink all day or night. The good news...I haven't had wine for 3 days instead of 2! But after 2 days on Whole30, I have not undone any damage, and if anything my stomach is making a lot of noise and bloated, which hopefully will pass soon. I'm looking for support as others are not always on board with my dietary 'restrictions'....everyone agreed I was a very cranky vegan a few years ago...longest time I ever lived without dairy! Thanks and looking forward to sharing successes and support!

This is my first Whole30 and I'm looking forward to keeping up with others walking the same road! My biggest challenges are a business trip in the middle of the month and the fact that my husband is not doing the Whole30 with me. I do all the cooking, though, so all of our homemade stuff for the month will be Whole30 compliant!

Hi gang! Started my second W30 yesterday. Thought I'd check-in to see how other January W30ers are doing.

I went off-track over Christmas and got super depressed, cranky, and had hair falling out but after three days of mostly compliant and now 2 days on the W30, I am already feeling better. Thank goodness!!!!

I tried to get my mom to do it with me and she read ISWF but I guess she wasn't convinced. I am a little dissappointed because she is pre-diabetic and I know she would feel better. Plus I know she saw how much better I felt. She told me "I don't think you should lose any more weight". I told her I'm not doing it to lose weight, I'm doing it for my sanity! She said she won't go on any diet where she can't have chocolate everyday if she wants (even for 30 days!) I know where I get my sugar addiction. :(

Archived