Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

For PCF book, I have made the banana bread, and sausage, but haven't picked up the book in awhile. The bread is trigger food for me, as is any treat type food. So I try to focus on the good stuff. Making our own mayo, ketchup, and pink sauerkraut (easy). If you haven't tried to make your own sauerkraut yet, give it a try. I love this demonstration video and I bought his book Wild Fermentation. Sandor is a former businessman turned hippy. He reminds me of Kramer in Seinfeld in this video:

! I regularly make my own kraut (good probiotics for the gut) and love it with avocado.

I love Sandor Katz! I have his Wild Fermentation book and it was what started me on fermenting. That reminds me, I need to get more carrot sticks/garlic going (a lovely combination, just chop carrots into sticks, pack them in with garlic in between and fill up with your salt water). I've started enjoying sausage and eggs with sauerkraut and another veg (I had some avocado and butternut squash yesterday morning).

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I discovered that there's a section for Whole30 logs thanks to Nila's signature on her posts (thanks!!) so I spent a good 30 minutes putting together why I'm here and my goals and such. It's long but it felt good to get it out. Now that I am 1/3 of the way through it was a nice reminder of why I am doing this, especially as I was craving dutch baby pancakes last night.

Lunch yesterday was some lamb chops from a local farm (they were all out of chicken thighs, argh!) with a side salad. I hit a wall come 4pm so I had my husband bring home Chipotle (double carnitas, pico de gallo, guacamole, lettuce.. next time I'm asking for more lettuce). Getting in the kitchen today and making some ghee, roasting brussels sprouts, cauliflower, butternut squash. Tonight, for dinner, I am making Asian Meatballs with a side salad. Lunch will be some leftovers from the fridge. Today my veggie delivery comes so I need to make room!

Tomorrow I am going to Penzey's for a spice run. Time for more Sunny Paris. :) Do any of you have Penzey's blends you really like?

It's the start of day #10 and last night was the roughest night of all, and I am quite surprised. Restless, night sweats and up every 2 hours. I thought it was interesting everyone was talking about strange dreams of food, as I had not experienced that and had been sleeping very well (of course getting up at night)....but last night I had a dream about macaroni and cheese! I can't even remember the last time I ate mac and cheese! Ugh. Headache this morning but feeling a little better after scrambled eggs and avocado. :D

I discovered that there's a section for Whole30 logs thanks to Nila's signature on her posts (thanks!!) so I spent a good 30 minutes putting together why I'm here and my goals and such. ... Tomorrow I am going to Penzey's for a spice run. Time for more Sunny Paris. :) Do any of you have Penzey's blends you really like?

You're welcome!

I like Forward! Sugar-free and salt-free sort of all-purpose seasoning. Have fun sniffing all the Penzey's goodness!

I had a dream about croutons last night. The dreams crack me up. I don't even particularly like croutons, and I definitely don't miss them!

I am still sleeping terribly, worse than usual. I'm really hoping I turn that corner soon, and I can't wait for the weekend to get here so I can at least nap if I need to during the day! Very sleepy.

I haven't picked up Well Fed yet, but I'm putting it on my to-do list to order tonight. I'll also be putting together my game plan for weekend food prep and next week's meals. Currently on deck: crock pot o' chili, guacamole, homemade paleo mayo, baba ganoush, and then I'll see what things I can prep in advance for weeknight cooking (chop veggies, etc). Tonight I'll be making a big salad (with bell peppers, jicama, grape tomatoes, whatever other good veggies I need to use up before they go bad) and grilled steak, topped with some guac. I'm already looking forward to it and it's only 8 AM!

I discovered that there's a section for Whole30 logs thanks to Nila's signature on her posts (thanks!!) so I spent a good 30 minutes putting together why I'm here and my goals and such. It's long but it felt good to get it out. Now that I am 1/3 of the way through it was a nice reminder of why I am doing this, especially as I was craving dutch baby pancakes last night.

Lunch yesterday was some lamb chops from a local farm (they were all out of chicken thighs, argh!) with a side salad. I hit a wall come 4pm so I had my husband bring home Chipotle (double carnitas, pico de gallo, guacamole, lettuce.. next time I'm asking for more lettuce). Getting in the kitchen today and making some ghee, roasting brussels sprouts, cauliflower, butternut squash. Tonight, for dinner, I am making Asian Meatballs with a side salad. Lunch will be some leftovers from the fridge. Today my veggie delivery comes so I need to make room!

Tomorrow I am going to Penzey's for a spice run. Time for more Sunny Paris. :) Do any of you have Penzey's blends you really like?

Love Sunny Paris! I put it on my eggs in the morning. We also use Herbes de Provence on everything. And Mural of Flavor! I did two spice mixes--one from Well Fed and one from Practical Paleo.

I love Sandor Katz! I have his Wild Fermentation book and it was what started me on fermenting. That reminds me, I need to get more carrot sticks/garlic going (a lovely combination, just chop carrots into sticks, pack them in with garlic in between and fill up with your salt water). I've started enjoying sausage and eggs with sauerkraut and another veg (I had some avocado and butternut squash yesterday morning).

I'm at work, so I didn't watch the video... but is making sauerkraut as simple as that carrot/garlic combination?

I agree on the fat and green and the nuts/fruit. I have no experience, though, on the eggs.

Thanks for the tips. I did not have eggs today, that may be it, I never really ate eggs and I've been having them for breakfast since I started. Today was some grape and nuts. My stomach was super upset yesterday and still is not great today. I'm hoping that will help. I took a probiotic as well.

Back in the game today! It's funny how we go through such mental shifts during this. I decided to spend some time reading the forums and the whole 9 blog and it's good to see that my experiences are not so unusual. I think the last few days I was actually going through a bit of food grief. I consider this the start of a life change and not just a 30 day "thing" so I've been thinking a lot about the idea of not baking anymore and not eating toast :rolleyes: . Being able to read that these things are normal and expected really helps. NOw I am trying to just focus on each day and just make it to the next., And, gosh, my husband is all over my excuses. He's not doing the program full out but if I come up with a reason to give up he's all "what are you gonna do, count points?" "That's just dumb". He's knows I hate all things weight watchers.

Anyway, on a "lighter" note I spent all day and night yesterday peeing. Apparently I had some water to let go of and now I am 2.5lbs lighter. I know, that dang scale. I weighed one last time in the name of science and did all of measurements so i could right everything down. Now the scale is away. :D I shall pull out said numbers at the end of the 30 days.

Glad to see everyone is hanging in there. I agree Well Fed is amazing!!! So is the Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook. I almost feel i should start charging my husbands co-workers for food cause they keep eating our left-overs.

I agree I have been peeing a lot!!

Well Fed and Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook are great! I haven't gotten into Well Fed too much yet because I keep making stuff out of Everyday Paleo! Yum! I also have Paleo Slow Cooking on the way. Yummy stuff!

Hi JoyfulSusan, I can totally relate to feeling tired. Two things that bear repeating: 1) drink water; 2) SLEEP.

I'm currently reading the book "Lights Out" which clearly explains how sleep controls cortisol levels, and carbs affect all of that. I'm reading the chapter called MIND CONTROL which explains why we have fall-out from a carb binge or lack of sleep. Last night I actually got 8 hours of sleep. The Hartwigs stress this (pun) repeatedly -- that sleep is important above food and exercise.

"Serotonin is very important in the modern world. You need impulse control on the subway or in an office or stuck in traffic. Those of us with very low serotonin pull guns on each other and plan massacres. That's also why we all self-medicate with sugar in times of stress. When you're stuck in a traffic jam and pull off at the exit out of frustration, the substance to ease your pain is more likely than not a Big Gulp or a candy bar. Few of us buy string cheese or beef jerky to cope. The insulin produced as a result of the carbohydrate you've eaten makes serotonin, and you get instant impulse control."

Wiley, T. S.; Bent Formby (2002-01-18). Lights Out (p. 104). Simon & Schuster, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

I am SO PSYCHED on my lunch salad today, more excited than I've been about food in a really long time!

I love this quote - I just finished my lunch and had the same kind of experience. Last night's leftovers - cedar plank salmon, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, and cauliflower rice with onion and mushrooms. I'm in culinary Heaven! I may not even gargle like I normally do after lunch in order to savor the flavors for a while! (hee hee)

I guess I am late to the party! I have stalked the forum for months, but this is the first post.

I am on my second W30. Did my first back in October and noticed significant changes in how I felt physically and mentally. Definitely got off track over the holidays.

I started this Whole 30 on 1/1/13, and then had to press restart on 1/4, after a slice of cake at family birthday. What was notable about this? A few months ago, I would have been down on myself and felt like a failure. But this time, I made a conscious decision to eat that cake at a family celebration, accepted it and started over. BIG mental change for me.

Ummmmm . . . HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!! I am like a crazy person today. Went from being not hungry at all to starving!!!

Anyway . . . for those of you that have and love Well Fed, esp. if its falling apart, I was able to download the PDF for $1 so I printed out and put it in a 3 ring binder. Luv it, cause we can pick out the recipes we want to make and pull them out of the binder each week. I just stick them in the front pocket. I have a bad habit of shopping off a "menu" and then not making what I planned and this has helped alot.

... I have a bad habit of shopping off a "menu" and then not making what I planned and this has helped alot.

I do that sometimes, too. It's frustrating cause then I scramble to make something that uses all the produce I have. At least that leads to creative cooking.

I am low energy again today too. I have been running around all day like a madwoman but I feel run down. I want to see if I'm eating enough. I don't have cravings and I feel like maybe I am undereating (this is insane to me because I have been a stress eater my entire life and all the issues basically explained in ch. 1 of 'It Starts With Food'). I am going to write up my food log from the past two days and analyze it.

I think it may just be the emotional issues I'm dealing with (family crap/elderly parents/stress). For the first time I'm not cramming food at least.

I'm at work, so I didn't watch the video... but is making sauerkraut as simple as that carrot/garlic combination?

Yep, the only difference is that you need to pound on the cabbage so it releases it's own juices, then you salt it, and top it off with water if it still needs more liquid. The fresher the cabbage, the less additional liquid you'll need to add though.

Today energy was hard to come by and erratic. Normally (I say that like it's been more than 10 days haha) I eat breakfast and get a surge of energy. Not today. I ate around 9:30 and walked into my kitchen, looked at it, and said "I don't want to do this right now" and sat back down at my computer. Finally around noon as I was making my son lunch I got into it (it took some good tunes too) and next thing I knew it was two hours later! After getting my daughter from the bus I hit another slump, and after dinner I got another wave of energy and finished cleaning out my fridge, loaded all my tupperware in and did a load of laundry. I know it's supposed to be my body adjusting.

Speaking of, it is 9:30 and I need to crawl into bed.

Welcome Brian! I can definitely relate on the Mexican gorging. I'm staying away until I know I can go in there and do the right thing!

Diana, those were the first two books I got too. That reminds me, I need to pull out the Paleo Comfort Foods too! I have not tried any kind of fermentation. My husband loves sauerkraut and kimchee (sp??). I may have to see if I'm up to that challenge. :)

Torena, I told my husband to hide my scale after I told jtota to hide hers, LOL!! Just in case… My blood pressure is also quite low. I will talk to the doc about that soon. They have me on an Ace Inhibitor to protect my kidneys. I may have to get off of that. I've already cut the dose in half, but my blood pressure has been around 101/56 or lower at times. Going to read your log :)

Hang in there Christine19!

CupcakeNinja, that sounds like a wonderful menu!

MamaDrew, hope your stomach issues get resolved soon.

OuisieQ, welcome to the party!

Way to go fittergirl! Keep on driving by!

Hang in there Helen!

I sound like the thread cheerleader, LOL

So today I woke up and I was a bit miffed and not just at my husband. My fasting blood sugar is creeping back up and today I was over 100 again. So I have to figure out what I am doing different. I think it is sleep. I've been staying up later and later and not going to bed by 10:00 like I was before so I am going to bed at 10 tonight and hopefully, I'll be back under 100 tomorrow morning.

I had a decent day all in all. We are in the process of buying a new house so I had to drive over there to meet the inspector and then my husband was going to get there after he got off work. He ended up beating me there. He suggested we go to eat out so that I didn't have to worry about getting a meal together. ACK!! I didn't know if I was ready. Someone told him about a Greek restaurant so I thought that would actually be safe since I KNOW they use olive oil. So off we went...

It was a little hole in the wall and it was great! The waitress asked if we wanted hummus or baba ghanoush and I asked how they prepared the baba ghanoush and it was all legal. I asked if I could have veggies for dipping instead of pita and she bought out a sliced cucumber! It was delicious. She asked me what my constraints were and I told her olive oil only, no dairy, no grain, no legumes, no sugar and she was unfazed. I ordered a salad and gyro meat. I asked about the dressing and she said she would leave that off since it had bulgar in it. I asked for just olive oil and vinegar and she bought me some lemon. It was perfect and I didn't feel deprived at all...until my husband ordered baklava. I knew he would because we always shared a baklava in the past. She said, "I'll bring just one" and patted my shoulder. My husband insisted she bring two. He really thought I was going to cave. I. DID. NOT. I don't think he is intentionally trying to get me to go off plan, or hell, maybe he is, but I'm not budging so he better give it up! :)

You deserve a medal for watching someone eat baklava and not giving in.

I made the homemade mayo tonight from Well Fed, and also bought my first jicama, spent 3 hours peeling it (slight exaggeration), and chopped it to go into the slow cooker for 24 hours. I really hope the jicama comes out as good as the mayo. That stuff was SO DELICIOUS, especially when I added garlic & paprika. And I'm not even a mayo fan.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! So I'm finally starting to feel a bit more energy. I think I was stuck in the "I just want a nap" phase for the last 10 days straight.

On a side note - I'm sitting here in front of the TV, and there was a McDonald's commercial highlighting their biscuits, immediately followed by a Hardee's commercial, highlighting their biscuits. As soon as the Hardee's commercial was over, the McD's commercial came back on - same one, haha!

Good thing I was eating a plate of eggs and bacon at the time...

@NatPatBen - I'm going to have to try out that Mayo recipe! I've made an avocado sauce before that's basically mayo, avocado, garlic, lime juice, and salt & pepper. It's awesome, but probably way better with some proper mayo.

I am loving the combo of Crossfit and Whole30 —it seems to be a particularly potent pairing. Personally, I still haven't had any major Crossfit moments where I savagely lift 9,000 pounds over my head and then triumphantly drop the bar to the floor or whatever. BUT the workouts I've done (especially in this 2nd week) have felt really good. I've felt more capable and more excited about the workouts — and my endurance and recovery has been noticeably better.

Awesome! What's your favorite Crossfit workout so far?

I've been feeling pretty out of it in the gym until maybe the past 3 or 4 days. I did a Crossfit Total and a timed mile the other day. My total wasn't where I'd like it to be - not even close. I was happy with the run but I wish I was a lot stronger. I only say that because I used to be a lot stronger. Oh well - I'll get there.

You deserve a medal for watching someone eat baklava and not giving in.

I made the homemade mayo tonight from Well Fed, and also bought my first jicama, spent 3 hours peeling it (slight exaggeration), and chopped it to go into the slow cooker for 24 hours. I really hope the jicama comes out as good as the mayo. That stuff was SO DELICIOUS, especially when I added garlic & paprika. And I'm not even a mayo fan.

LMAO - I second the vote for a medal for jmarnold30 for witnessing baklava consumption without giving in. Cruel and unusual punishment, that.

NPB - what is happening with your jicama? I mean, what are you making? I peeled mine today and then realized it was going to need some prep, that I couldn't just slice and eat it like I had thought (silly me), but now I don't know what to do with it.

Stay strong, everyone! We are 1/3 of the way through the 30!!! W00t!

I haven't posted in a few days, although I have replied to topics. I think I'm still on the wagon. At about Day 3 I made a batch of paleo coconut truffles with no sweetener, but I used peppermint extract. No, I did not eat the whole batch... in one day, but I did eat it over about 4-5 days... at the end of a meal ... usually. That's the only touchy food I can think of, other than the fact that I have just been eating a LOT of the good foods to avoid eating the non-foods.

Now I'm wondering if that means I didn't succeed and I should require to start my Whole30 over at Day 4. What say you all?

So, Jan 1 was my start date and these 10 days haven't been too horrible. The one thing I really really miss, is stevia in my ACV water, and I like to drink ACV water. I'm positive that is what dropped my blood pressure over a year ago and it tastes so good warmed, with honey, which I don't use now.

I really love eating this way and already feel much better, in spite of having a hard time the first week resisting sugar, therefore I ate way too many nuts, but it kept me compliant. Roasting my own delicata squash seeds was an experience. They tasted GREAT, but after a few days of those, I realized what I was probably doing to my intestines. Of course I got terribly constipated, but at least I knew what to do: I took 500mg of magnesium citrate in water evening and morning for 2 days, then just at night. What a relief! Sorry TMI I know, but it might help someone else with the same issues, right?!

I also began this challenge at the same time that I took on extra responsibilites chairing a non-profit. That has really cut into my cooking and sleep time. Last week I felt like I was losing it. Then last night I was reading the book "Lights Out" and came across a chapter on Mind Control and how carbs affect sleep, and lack of sleep affects moods and why, and learned that I really am making myself nuts when I am sleep deprived.

So my biggest challenge is sleep, sleep, sleep this round. So what say you all? Is a teaspoon of peppermint extract in a batch of 12 paleo truffles (unsweetened) a fail? Either way, I'll go 35 days. :)

-diana

Archived