Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Once I start the blog it will make sense and the title is more about how I got to this point then what I am actually eating.

Would love it if you post your blog link here, once you get it underway. I like what you're cooking up.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Natural Calm I have has calcium in it...not sure what the other one looks like but this has a green label. 350mg Mag 230mg Cal plus D3, Vit C, Potassium and Boron. A fizzy medley of fun...my latest cocktail creation is to mix it with Kombucha! :D

Okay I'll look for it. I bought individual packets and they are just magnesium.

I am trying to conjure up a desire to eat cake tomorrow, or dark chocolate at the stroke of midnight tonight (I'll be at work) and can't seem to manage that desire. If it ain't broke...

Happy Happy Birthday! Maybe a paleo-ish flourless chocolate cake (sugar, I know). Or dark chocolate sounds lovely maybe with fruit.

Results day! I lost 7.8 lbs. Healthy weight loss, right? Nearly 2 lbs a week. I am very happy about it! I was trying to prepare myself for only having lost 2 or 3 lbs. I was not expecting almost 8. :)

I have not incorporated any exercise this month. I have moved. I have busy children and keep house so I don't do a whole lot of sitting, but I also told myself that I was giving myself a pass on everything that wasn't food related for the month. Now I feel like I am ready. My daughter found a Yoga Kids book I had purchased a couple of years ago and I asked if she'd like to do yoga with me. I figure I can put some videos on my computer (Netflix has some) or we can do them from the Roku (which I believe has a channel with yoga videos). I just need to find my other yoga mat. Though I may need to buy a third for my son. ;) My tax return came in today so maybe I'll have to do that! I am also buying a dehydrator (probably the Sedona instead of Excalibur) so I can make beef jerky and fruit leather for the kids and soak/dehydrate nuts (if you haven't heard of this you should check out www.westonaprice.org or read Nourishing Traditions). We also decided to not sell our house this year so I'm going to do my garden again this year. Hopefully I will be better about it now that I have more energy. ;) Then I can dehydrate foods from my garden.

Results day! I lost 7.8 lbs. Healthy weight loss, right? Nearly 2 lbs a week. I am very happy about it! I was trying to prepare myself for only having lost 2 or 3 lbs. I was not expecting almost 8. :)

I have not incorporated any exercise this month. I have moved. I have busy children and keep house so I don't do a whole lot of sitting, but I also told myself that I was giving myself a pass on everything that wasn't food related for the month. Now I feel like I am ready. My daughter found a Yoga Kids book I had purchased a couple of years ago and I asked if she'd like to do yoga with me. I figure I can put some videos on my computer (Netflix has some) or we can do them from the Roku (which I believe has a channel with yoga videos). I just need to find my other yoga mat. Though I may need to buy a third for my son. ;) My tax return came in today so maybe I'll have to do that! I am also buying a dehydrator (probably the Sedona instead of Excalibur) so I can make beef jerky and fruit leather for the kids and soak/dehydrate nuts (if you haven't heard of this you should check out www.westonaprice.org or read Nourishing Traditions). We also decided to not sell our house this year so I'm going to do my garden again this year. Hopefully I will be better about it now that I have more energy. ;) Then I can dehydrate foods from my garden.

My daughter and I do one on Netflix together called Shanti Generation. She is only 5 but she keeps up (I think they rate it age 7?). It is a good one to do together. The Gaiam channel on Roku is okay but to get the good videos you have to subscribe. I'm a yoga nut though so might not be a good genearl assessment. You can buy cheap yoga mats for kids for $10 at places like Target. Or I did (Santa bought my girls pink yoga mats and I think I paid $9 each for them).

Congrats on the weight loss! That is totally awesome. :) You are an inspiration with your ideas!!

I grabbed the scale this morning and was 50/50 about whether I'd use it or not. There are emotions tied to that thing. It's also a data gathering tool. So, keeping in mind it is only one measure and it only measures a point in time, I stepped on the thing. Gone: 12.5 pounds. Now, in all fairness, I'd gained 5 pounds over the preceding 2-3 weeks. Regardless, among many other signs, this is one sign that doing a Whole30 worked for me. Welcome to Day 31.

Drumroll...day 31 and the results are in. Weight loss: 3 lbs. (I need to lose 20, so slow start, but better than nothing). Inches lost: 7 1/4 (now that I like). I worked out 19 of the 30 days. Pain in knees left in less than 1 week. Any feelings of depression or sadness were lifted within the first 10 days. I'm sleeping through the night, which was a challenge (either falling asleep or staying asleep), and no napping during the day. Not hungry. Hair growing like a weed, not that I had a problem before.Felt I was mostly compliant except early on with cough drops as I was sick and not thinking clearly. I will still keep going dairy-free and grain-free, however, I bought organic, sulfite-free cabernet for Friday night to have with a steak!I feel 30 days is not quite enough, especially with the combo of no dairy and grains and perhaps now the magic will really happen as it will be the longest I have gone without those food groups simultaneously. Congrats to everyone with your successes, be it weight loss, physical, emotional or food issues and thanks for your support now and going forward. WE ROCK!!! :D

Drumroll...day 31 and the results are in. Weight loss: 3 lbs. (I need to lose 20, so slow start, but better than nothing). Inches lost: 7 1/4 (now that I like). I worked out 19 of the 30 days. Pain in knees left in less than 1 week. Any feelings of depression or sadness were lifted within the first 10 days. I'm sleeping through the night, which was a challenge (either falling asleep or staying asleep), and no napping during the day. Not hungry. Hair growing like a weed, not that I had a problem before.Felt I was mostly compliant except early on with cough drops as I was sick and not thinking clearly. I will still keep going dairy-free and grain-free, however, I bought organic, sulfite-free cabernet for Friday night to have with a steak!I feel 30 days is not quite enough, especially with the combo of no dairy and grains and perhaps now the magic will really happen as it will be the longest I have gone without those food groups simultaneously. Congrats to everyone with your successes, be it weight loss, physical, emotional or food issues and thanks for your support now and going forward. WE ROCK!!! :D

Inches are the most important. My weight fluctuations throughout the month are truly bizarre typically. GREAT Job!!

I grabbed the scale this morning and was 50/50 about whether I'd use it or not. There are emotions tied to that thing. It's also a data gathering tool. So, keeping in mind it is only one measure and it only measures a point in time, I stepped on the thing. Gone: 12.5 pounds. Now, in all fairness, I'd gained 5 pounds over the preceding 2-3 weeks. Regardless, among many other signs, this is one that doing a Whole30 worked for me. Welcome to Day 31.

Awesome! I'm kind of scared to weigh tomorrow but I feel good so trying to keep that in my forethoughts!

I ALMOST made it through 30 days - celebrated my accomplishments last night with a couple of glasses of red wine. And didn't sleep well at all as a result, although I feel OK today. I'm going to stay real close to the Whole 30 regimen for as long as absolutley possible. You really just can't beat how well eating wholesome good foods makes you feel. I considered introducing dairy over the next few days but I honestly don't feel like I need it. So other than some tortilla chips on Saturday night for a group dinner, I'm happy continuing with the stuff that makes me feel awesome.

On a personal note, lost 6 pounds (I still have about 4 to lose) and a couple of inches around my waist and an inch and a half around my "top." I call that a BIG success!

I do "officially" have to complete today food wise, but that won't be a problem since I have decided to continue at least another 30 days...

But results wise, here we go:

As of three days ago, this Insulin Dependent Diabetic is no longer insulin dependent. I stopped using the Lantus three days ago!!! My fasting number was a little higher today than it has been, but it is still under 120. I'm going to watch it closely and I'll add a small does back in the evenings if it continues to rise, but for now I can say I am insulin free!! I have no doubt that once I start the water aerobics, it will manage itself.

Down 17.1 pounds, down 24.5 inches - a whopping 6 inches in my upper belly (waist area) and 4 inches in my lower belly (navel area).

My reward is to continue on to a Whole 60 and maybe beyond. I am going to get a haircut and maybe a color too.

I know fully well, that the weight loss is going to slow down (it better) and everyone should keep in mind that I severely limited my fruit intake (by also doing a 21 DSD in conjunction with the Whole30) because my main goal was to tackle my very outrageous insulin resistance.

Congrats to all!

As of three days ago, this Insulin Dependent Diabetic is no longer insulin dependent. I stopped using the Lantus three days ago!!! My fasting number was a little higher today than it has been, but it is still under 120. I'm going to watch it closely and I'll add a small does back in the evenings if it continues to rise, but for now I can say I am insulin free!! I have no doubt that once I start the water aerobics, it will manage itself.

Down 17.1 pounds, down 24.5 inches - a whopping 6 inches in my upper belly (waist area) and 4 inches in my lower belly (navel area).

WOW WOW WOW. This is amazing, Jodi! Congratulations! I hope you can really embrace what a gift you've given to yourself in the past 30 days... and then just keep giving yourself more good stuff :) Well done!

I do "officially" have to complete today food wise, but that won't be a problem since I have decided to continue at least another 30 days...

My reward is to continue on to a Whole 60 and maybe beyond. I am going to get a haircut and maybe a color too.

I know fully well, that the weight loss is going to slow down (it better) and everyone should keep in mind that I severely limited my fruit intake (by also doing a 21 DSD in conjunction with the Whole30) because my main goal was to tackle my very outrageous insulin resistance.

Congrats to all!

WOW! Congratulations!!!

I just did my weigh in, lost 6.6lbs!! I am basically back to to the weight I had been my entire life until I started my terrible downward spiral the last 3 years. For the first time in years I am genuinely happy, not just going through the motions of my day. I have found so much comfort and support doing this diet and reading the forums and hearing all of your stories. It really inspired me to stick with this despite all the negative nancys I encountered throughout the process. I've spent years suffering with anxiety and spells of depression, the thought of trying to make it through the day was unbearable, now I'm so excited to get up and get going. I am definitely sticking with this, I've already decided on two things I will reincorporate in small doses will be wine on occasion and white rice now and then, I love sushi too much to give it up! But other than that, I'm sticking to this, it works and it would be silly to give it up after coming so far.

Congrats to all of you who successfully completed this, its a huge accomplishment and something you should all be proud of! :D

It's wonderingful reading all of the success stories / results!

...My tax return came in today so maybe I'll have to do that! I am also buying a dehydrator (probably the Sedona instead of Excalibur) so I can make beef jerky and fruit leather for the kids and soak/dehydrate nuts (if you haven't heard of this you should check out www.westonaprice.org or read Nourishing Traditions). ...

Coincidentally, I'm on the phone with the IRS right now (on hold) about tax refunds. ID stolen last year so didn't get last year's refund until end of December. Calling before I file for this year to get some things straightened out (and hopefully avoid a 10 month delay again).

That's great you can grow your garden again. I planted cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, and bell peppers a few days ago... my first attempt at fruit... hope it goes well. My husband wants to grow some of the foods he loves from his home country of Jamaica, so if I master these, I'll then see what we can grow from his home land (such as callaloo, a green leafy vegetable).

I have a feeling that with a 21 DSD, I'd see great results. When I first heard about it mid-way through the Whole30, I was like, "Nooooooo!" because what I like about the Whole30 is the incorporation of fruit / sweet potatoes.

But I am aware that those things likely slow down my weight loss. Next week begins our "Biggest Winner" weight loss challenge at work, so that seems like another motivation to do the 21 days of minimal fruit. I just need more information about it...

I do "officially" have to complete today food wise, but that won't be a problem since I have decided to continue at least another 30 days... But results wise, here we go: As of three days ago, this Insulin Dependent Diabetic is no longer insulin dependent. I stopped using the Lantus three days ago!!! My fasting number was a little higher today than it has been, but it is still under 120. I'm going to watch it closely and I'll add a small does back in the evenings if it continues to rise, but for now I can say I am insulin free!! I have no doubt that once I start the water aerobics, it will manage itself. Down 17.1 pounds, down 24.5 inches - a whopping 6 inches in my upper belly (waist area) and 4 inches in my lower belly (navel area). My reward is to continue on to a Whole 60 and maybe beyond. I am going to get a haircut and maybe a color too. I know fully well, that the weight loss is going to slow down (it better) and everyone should keep in mind that I severely limited my fruit intake (by also doing a 21 DSD in conjunction with the Whole30) because my main goal was to tackle my very outrageous insulin resistance. Congrats to all!

Yowza! Tha'ts awesome!!!! Way to go!

Congrats to all!

You may surprise yourself with your continued weight loss. When I started Paleo a year and a half ago, I dropped 30 lbs. in about six months by eating this way. Didn't lift a pinky from an exercise viewpoint. It really became effortless. At 50, I was almost resorting to the thought I would always be chubby so I gave all my thin clothes away to Good Will. Now wish I still had them! I did this Whole 30 to recommit myself to that level of clean eating. And I am now prepared to give away all my chubby clothes! That's the biggest mindset shift of all for me!

Happy Day 31 everyone! I weighed myself this morning and take measurements and I lost 4 lbs and an inch from waist and hips. Not as amazing as I was hoping, but I'll take it. Hubby lost 10.5 lbs, (men!) but didn't have a chance to do measurements. I know he's lost inches because he's mentioned having to tighten his belt to keep his pants from falling down.

We did have a glass of wine at a work banquet last night, so we'll be staying compliant at least today to make up for that. I didn't notice any effects from the wine at all, so I may start reintroduction on Saturday and give us another day of evaluation. I'm interested to see how the reintroduction process goes. Like some of you, I haven't felt the magic on this diet. There are a few things that I've noticed: I had some low-level stiffness in my heel/achilles that went away and there have been some days where my energy levels stay nice and even. I've been really tired and down the last few days, which was discouraging.

Even though I haven't posted on it much, this thread has really helped get me through the 30 days. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences!

I grabbed the scale this morning and was 50/50 about whether I'd use it or not. There are emotions tied to that thing. It's also a data gathering tool. So, keeping in mind it is only one measure and it only measures a point in time, I stepped on the thing. Gone: 12.5 pounds. Now, in all fairness, I'd gained 5 pounds over the preceding 2-3 weeks. Regardless, among many other signs, this is one sign that doing a Whole30 worked for me. Welcome to Day 31.

I put the scale back in the closet as I wanted to get on it a few hours after I weighed myself. :angry: Ugh! Not coming back out for at least a week.

I put the scale back in the closet as I wanted to get on it a few hours after I weighed myself. :angry: Ugh! Not coming back out for at least a week.

I tossed it back on on the shelf in the closet after I used it. I'll wait until the end of February.

Archived