Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of three days ago, this Insulin Dependent Diabetic is no longer insulin dependent. I stopped using the Lantus three days ago!!! My fasting number was a little higher today than it has been, but it is still under 120. I'm going to watch it closely and I'll add a small does back in the evenings if it continues to rise, but for now I can say I am insulin free!! I have no doubt that once I start the water aerobics, it will manage itself.

Stupendous!!! Brava!!! What a turnaround your body is accomplishing!

Husband is hiding the scale again tonight. So we just ate out. Skipped the peanuts on the table, had a filet (no oil, cooked dry), a grilled mushroom skewer (dry, as they coat them with Italian dressing) and a plain sweet potato. Did fine, but did have kind of a Week 1 moment where I grieved again for the fact that I was saying no again to the peanuts, the bread, the beautiful margaritas on the other tables. But then I kept thinking about "NO INSULIN" and it passed :)

Today was my *official* weigh in day. I was very nervous but I lost 6.5 pounds. I lose weight slowly but I am hoping this is the start to my journey to lose the last 20 pounds I want to lose by summer when I spend a lot of time at the neighborhood pool. One thing though is that I was talking to one of my yoga teachers and she said to me 'You know Helen you just may be the weight you are supposed to be.' And in some ways I agree with her. I can't be like my mother who is 83 and still spends weeks on weeks 'dieting' (eating 800 calories maximum a day) to lose the 10 pounds that no one cares or notices about. So, this program is another step on my journal to making peace with food.

I feel like this has transformed my eating in a lot of ways. I had already quit drinking alcohol and finally slayed the aspartame demon (there is something about women teachers and diet coke addiction). But this has done what the program claims which has helped me with my energy levels and food cravings. I lost weight 15 years ago on Weight Watchers but it wasn't a sustainable way to eat and didn't include the psychological part which is my problem. I am going to keep Coconut Creme Larabars (actually I am making some of my own on Sunday!) as my go to 'treat.' I never knew how much I could love coconut products! I am in love with them.

I feel great. I plan to continue with the Whole30 for the most part forever (I hope). I may have some dark chocolate tomorrow (my oldest's 6th birthday party--snow stay away!) and I know I will add some Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon (our family Sunday tradition after I get home from karma yoga) which has a tiny amount of added sugar. In terms of introducing things I had planned to add back my greek yogurt in the morning but the breakfast I am eating now is way more satisying (replace the greek yogurt protein essentially with eggs) so I am going to stay course with my new breakfast. I will probably this Spring add back in edamame, black beans and chick peas and see how that goes but in limited amounts. My girls eat a lot of edamame hummus and chick pea hummus and luckily our fave restaurant has these with the choice of pita or veggies.

Thanks for all the support on this forum! I think you all are awesome and I have learned a lot from you and appreciated hearing your journeys.

My goal for Feb is to figure out how to do this sustainably for the family.

I did a cost analysis for myself for the last 3 days and Day 1 I was at around $15, Day 2 $11 an Day 3 $10. I want to get our family eating costs and dining out and treat costs to $900 a month which is a lot actually but it is doable. My biggest expense have been that I drink bottled Kombucha ($3.50 a pop which I drink only 1/2 a day but it adds up). So, next week I go to the local mushroom store (never been very excited) and learn to make my own Ginger Kombucha.

I know you will get this but this program gave me hope. I feel a little stuck in my life in some ways. My youngest starts K in the fall and I need to work more and I have to start thinking more creatively about work so that I can manage work/family (pre-kids I taught science at a magnet high school and worked part-time at the community college, once I had kids I just kept the part-time work).

I get a physical next week. I usually come back with good numbers but I'll be interested to see changes from last year at this time.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Last night we went out for sushi to our favorite place that I thought was going out of business. It turns out their heater broke and it was going to cost $10,000 and they thought they would have to shut down but she was able to figure something out. For the time being they have plug in heaters in various parts of the restaurant. I ate what I wanted, but no sugar. I had some rolls, some sake, and we had ice cream from Baskin Robbins after. I didn't realize how easy it would be to fall in to my old habits, to just binge on everything that I want. the interesting thing was that I could not finish even half of my ice cream shake. I also would have eaten more sushi. My stomach still hurt and this morning I am groggy and grumpy despite falling asleep around 8:30 and not waking up until around 6:45 (though I should mention there are always interruptions in my sleep). Back to eating better, now.

Helen, I actually ended up ordering from Gaiam, haha! I went to Target, their prices were the same but with more expensive shipping. Amazon, for what I wanted (my girl needs pink!) was $30 per mat, and Walmart either wanted expensive shipping or I had to wait until the 12th to have all 3 mats (husband, daughter, and son want to do it ;)). It all worked out, everyone got cool print mats in "their" colors. Can't wait to start!

If you have Netflix check out the Shanti Generation (have I already mentioned it?). I do it with my kids and it is a great way to bond and I get something out of it too since it is geared towards ages 7-12. My 5 year old picked up most of the poses quickly if I was doing them with her !!

Cool you are doing family yoga. I FINALLY got my husband (college Lacrosse player and ex-construction worker) into yoga. He goes with me to the Y one to two times a week now and if starting to see the results. Yoga is strength and flexibility and the mind so it has something for everyone :)

Yes I'm a moonie over yoga. And now I'm a moonie over Whole30 :)

Slowly integrating back into my old life. Concluded the W30 yesterday by taking myself out for sushi at lunch — that was a wonderful treat. Had a few M&Ms and a peanut butter cup last night. Did not taste as delicious as I remembered.

Sticking with W30 for breakfast and dinner — made a big batch of compliant butternut squash soup last night. Thinking maybe I just do W30 during the week and allow myself a little leeway on the weekends.

Feeling great and so glad to have this new set of W30 tools, behaviors & recipes at my fingertips!

Yep, you mentioned it! I put it in my queue. :) I've been trying for years to get my husband involved, but he wanted to try tai chi. Instead, nothing has been done and his weight has crept up and he has a weird knee "thing" that has kept him from playing soccer so he wants to do *something*. Thanks for the recommendation/help!

Today was my *official* weigh in day. I was very nervous but I lost 6.5 pounds. I lose weight slowly but I am hoping this is the start to my journey to lose the last 20 pounds I want to lose by summer when I spend a lot of time at the neighborhood pool.

I feel like this has transformed my eating in a lot of ways. I had already quit drinking alcohol and finally slayed the aspartame demon (there is something about women teachers and diet coke addiction). But this has done what the program claims which has helped me with my energy levels and food cravings.

Congratulations! You did awesome on many levels!!! :)

...my husband (college Lacrosse player...

My son (high school freshman) is a LAX goalie. This is his 6th year. Fun sport!

Okay, I know that isn't at all Whole30 related. :)

I loved your longer post about what you accomplished/learned and where you're going. Excellent!

I have to say it's weird reading about everyone easing out of Whole30. Sushi, ice cream, wine, candy... I was thinking about what I possibly miss. It probably comes down to white potatoes, the Indian buffet, and Chinese - and maybe cake frosting. :huh: Yep, I know I can make paleo versions of Indian and Chinese, but it's not the same. I'm not craving these things. I'm not even really sad about it. I just, at some level, find it odd not going out with the family to these former favorites. I supposed it's like anything else that goes away for whatever reason - like drinking - I deal with it. Life changes and presents new things.

By the way, keep up the stories. They're interesting!

I put the scale back in the closet as I wanted to get on it a few hours after I weighed myself. :angry: Ugh! Not coming back out for at least a week.

I am about to make my husband hide it again. I jumped on and I was down 1 1/2 more lbs which is exciting but GAWD. I know it fluctuates, and this feeling of accomplishment won't last forever and I need to find something else to be excited about than my damned weight. Argh!

You may surprise yourself with your continued weight loss. When I started Paleo a year and a half ago, I dropped 30 lbs. in about six months by eating this way. Didn't lift a pinky from an exercise viewpoint. It really became effortless. At 50, I was almost resorting to the thought I would always be chubby so I gave all my thin clothes away to Good Will. Now wish I still had them! I did this Whole 30 to recommit myself to that level of clean eating. And I am now prepared to give away all my chubby clothes! That's the biggest mindset shift of all for me!

I will be curious to see how things work out for me over the next few months. I think I'm just going to jump right in to the 21 DSD. In a way that is extending my Whole30 program minus my adventure dinner last night. I just ate my first meal of the day at 11:45 (eek) and I didn't even drink coffee this morning. I did steal a piece of my daughter's coconut chocolate bark (a guest post over on Paleo Parents had it, and it's really good) but it was so miniscule. I made up for it with scrambled eggs, bacon, sauteed grape tomatoes and leftover roasted asparagus. I feel so much better with that meal in me! My farmer sent me fresh bacon instead of smoked bacon.. before I didn't like the fresh because there wasn't much flavor. Well, today, I have to say I like the fresh more than the smoked. I have to toss out all of the bacon grease from my smoked stuff, I tried making Nom Nom Paleo's braised cabbage with it and it just ruined it. I imagine it would be awesome with the fresh stuff.

I have to say it's weird reading about everyone easing out of Whole30. Sushi, ice cream, wine, candy... I was thinking about what I possibly miss. It probably comes down to white potatoes, the Indian buffet, and Chinese - and maybe cake frosting. :huh: Yep, I know I can make paleo versions of Indian and Chinese, but it's not the same. I'm not craving these things. I'm not even really sad about it. I just, at some level, find it odd not going out with the family to these former favorites. I supposed it's like anything else that goes away for whatever reason - like drinking - I deal with it. Life changes and presents new things.

By the way, keep up the stories. They're interesting!

Today at the food coop it was 'Indian' day at the buffet and it smelled SO good. Nothing was compliant though. I did feel a little weird. The 'sad' for me is that on Wed the ritual is to go to the downtown library for kids storytime and then I do yoga at the downtown Y and then we walk over a few blocks to what is called 'Market Square' where there is a Wed Farmer's Market where we shop, play in water fountains and then eat at a local healthy restaurant/pizza place. I love this place. But except salads nothing is that compliant (lots of vegan food, etc). So, that may be my 'off day' where I get the edamame hummus with carrots, etc.

I love sushi but typically can take it or leave it and I love dolmathes (stuffed grape leaves). I know there are meat ones but most places make them just rice around here or rice and meat. Hmm...maybe I'll go to 'Holy Land' our local Middle Eastern store and see if I can request some.

I don't crave sweets. I am the salt/fat person. I may try the most compliant dish from on Indian day next week at the coop. I do love Saag Paneer though.

Cool about LAX! My husband played at Roanoke College and still loves it. Not a big sport in the South although it seems to be growing in popularity. I didn't even know what it was when I met him! I was thinking it was like Cricket and then when I saw it played I realized it was like hockey with sticks (he also love hockey) LOL !!

Went out to dinner last night. The "rustic french" bistro at which we had reservations was so loud it jangled our brains, and the tables were so close it felt like we were sitting on our neighbors' laps, so we decided not to stay there. I'll go back sometime for lunch as the food is supposed to be fabulous. We went to another place with a similar menu a few miles away, but by then it was past 9pm and their kitchen was closed. Dang. I was so hungry that I was about to bust out the emergency sardines in my bag. Fortunately, another restaurant around the corner served till 10pm. Hallelujah. I have eaten there a few times before, and really had wanted to try something new. But it was quiet, and pleasant, and has locally sourced organic pastured wild caught etc etc etc fare. Seared jumbo shrimp, Fisherman's Stew, Yellowtail with purple cauliflower, sauteed brussels sprouts. 95% compliant (I tasted wine in the stew stock at the end. Not listed on the menu :(), and there was bacon (cured there) and a hard grated cheese in the brussels sprouts, which I actually picked around. I passed on the live sea urchin :mellow: ... and on dessert :)!

My rigid self felt kind of bummed about the non-compliant items, as minimal as they were, mostly because then I couldn't say I was officially doing a Whole30+, but I decided to embrace a little wriggle-room. I did just fine.

Heading out to Costco and the coop to buy week-one autoimmune food.

It seems like a few of us are going to do a 21DSD now that the Whole30 is over. How can we stay in touch & support each other though that? Using this thread? Or is there a 21DSD forum?

I will start on Monday. Not trying to buy another book, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's the same as Whole30 - fruit / starchy vegetables (like sweet potatoes). Or is there more to it?

Vegan with a side of bacon... ? :P

Yes! Love it. I was actually trying to work out the whole blog thins and vegan with a side of meat ".com" is taken. Can't use for my site. But vegan with a side of bacon. . . . Maybe that would work!! :)

I do "officially" have to complete today food wise, but that won't be a problem since I have decided to continue at least another 30 days...

But results wise, here we go:

As of three days ago, this Insulin Dependent Diabetic is no longer insulin dependent. I stopped using the Lantus three days ago!!! My fasting number was a little higher today than it has been, but it is still under 120. I'm going to watch it closely and I'll add a small does back in the evenings if it continues to rise, but for now I can say I am insulin free!! I have no doubt that once I start the water aerobics, it will manage itself.

Down 17.1 pounds, down 24.5 inches - a whopping 6 inches in my upper belly (waist area) and 4 inches in my lower belly (navel area).

My reward is to continue on to a Whole 60 and maybe beyond. I am going to get a haircut and maybe a color too.

I know fully well, that the weight loss is going to slow down (it better) and everyone should keep in mind that I severely limited my fruit intake (by also doing a 21 DSD in conjunction with the Whole30) because my main goal was to tackle my very outrageous insulin resistance.

Congrats to all!

Loving this!! As someone who cares for diabetic patients everyday I am so very proud of you! What a feat! And your weight loss- whoa! :)

I finished my Whole 30 on Wednesday. This is something I never thought I could do. I felt really helpless when I started, thinking there was no way I could ever fix my terrible eating habits. Thank goodness for the Whole 30!

I had some rough patches the first few weeks, with grogginess and moodiness. I really hit that "i want to kill all the things" stage hard. I'm glad I stuck with it because I started sleeping better, feeling better, had normal energy levels throughout the day. I never really had the "tiger blood" feeling, I don't think.

Towards the end, my plan was to extend it to a Whole60. Then, the day it ended, my brother asked me to go out for a beer. Then I let myself eat some cake when I get home, which turned into going right back to my old diet the past two days. I feel terrible. I feel like I failed. I have learned a lot about myself, my body, and eating habits this past month. I know that I still have some food demons to beat. The Whole30 has taught me that I can beat them though, something I had pretty much given up on. I am starting my second Whole30 on Monday (with next weekend off for MaRdI GrAs in St. Louis, a yearly tradition with my friends!) with a 21 Day Sugar Detox. I can't wait to get started again and for the first time, finally feel like I have the tools and self-control to get on track for good.

I may not have posted very much to the thread, but I have been following along, and you all have helped me so much this past month. Good luck to all you amazing people!

Hey yogis! I have a question. I have been doing a lot more yoga in the last two weeks and I really like it. But the last two days I have had some nausea towards the end of the session. Is that weird or maybe something hormonal going on? It usually starts during shoulder stand or plow pose. I also practice in a heated room- maybe I'm just hot?

Hey yogis! I have a question. I have been doing a lot more yoga in the last two weeks and I really like it. But the last two days I have had some nausea towards the end of the session. Is that weird or maybe something hormonal going on? It usually starts during shoulder stand or plow pose. I also practice in a heated room- maybe I'm just hot?

Very normal. Breathe through it. :)

I finished my Whole 30 on Wednesday. This is something I never thought I could do. I felt really helpless when I started, thinking there was no way I could ever fix my terrible eating habits. Thank goodness for the Whole 30!

I had some rough patches the first few weeks, with grogginess and moodiness. I really hit that "i want to kill all the things" stage hard. I'm glad I stuck with it because I started sleeping better, feeling better, had normal energy levels throughout the day. I never really had the "tiger blood" feeling, I don't think.

Towards the end, my plan was to extend it to a Whole60. Then, the day it ended, my brother asked me to go out for a beer. Then I let myself eat some cake when I get home, which turned into going right back to my old diet the past two days. I feel terrible. I feel like I failed. I have learned a lot about myself, my body, and eating habits this past month. I know that I still have some food demons to beat. The Whole30 has taught me that I can beat them though, something I had pretty much given up on. I am starting my second Whole30 on Monday (with next weekend off for MaRdI GrAs in St. Louis, a yearly tradition with my friends!) with a 21 Day Sugar Detox. I can't wait to get started again and for the first time, finally feel like I have the tools and self-control to get on track for good.

I may not have posted very much to the thread, but I have been following along, and you all have helped me so much this past month. Good luck to all you amazing people!

I had my daughter's 6th birthday party today with lots and lots of stuff around and I wasn't planning to eat anything not compliant. I did end up having some spinach dip (made with sour cream, real spinach and onions) and some potato chips (darnit, they are my drug of choice it seems). Not a lot but still I'm a little disappointed in myself. I don't want to eat that stuff anymore though and like you I am glad to have the Whole30 to get myself back on track when I get off track. Tonight for dinner I am having extra kale too :) And back on the Paleo life tomorrow. We're in this learning to eat right in a world of crappy food together!

I

Archived