Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Oh, 1/1 peeps.... Well, my 1/31 dinner posted earlier was as non-compliant as I got. I immediately launched into an attempt at the AIP. And I just decided to bag it. Too hard. Not prepared enough. Hungry. Obsessive. Downstream result was bound to be a really hard fall.

So, I just had some eggs and almonds in my lunch, and I feel like I "cheated." And also like I just sank into a warm bath, aaaaahhhh. What a relief!

I suppose I'll spin it as an ultimately positive, post-W30 strategy... up the restriction-ante, so that a reversal to my 'new normal' (W30-compliant) feels like indulgence. I'm beating myself up a little for "failing" but I know that's

I considered the AIP myself as I have oodles of autoimmune disorders personally and in the family but couldn't make the sacrifices it would take (eggs, peppers, etc). So I get your comment about it being too hard.

Try the Moroccan meatballs from Well Fed next - beef, lamb, deer meat, whatever....they are killer good!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel ON TOP OF THE WORLD today! Yesterday, my head was killing me. I got home and was just waiting until it was late enough to go to sleep for the night. While waiting, I ate a small dinner and walked on the treadmill during Wheel of Fortune. My husband had the remote and refused to ff through commercials AND kept pausing the show, to make my walk last longer. I went to bed at 9 and set my alarm for 5:35... but I woke up at least 3 times to use the restroom during the night. That was record-setting.

When I woke up, the scale told me that I was down 2 lbs from my end-of-Whole30 weight. I know that weight fluctuates and blah blah blah, but it DID feel good to see a lower number. Then, since I got up much earlier than I needed to leave (6:30), I had time to leisurely shower, iron clothes, fix breakfast (boiled eggs, slices of avocado, red & green bell peppers, cherry tomatoes) & lunch (garlic mashed cauliflower, Moroccan meatballs, large salad

YOu are kicking some butt! Great job!

Please let me know if you taste the chocolate in your chocolate chili. I didn't have cocoa powder, so I grated a bar of 100% cocoa instead and didn't really measure it. Maybe I didn't put enough... or maybe you don't really taste it.

I made that last week before I got sick and only just got to eat some this weekend. You can't really taste the chocolate. Or, at least, it doesn't taste "chocolatey." I think the chocolate probably just adds a depth of flavor. Good chili, though!!

Snail blood.

That's what I have today. I'm just sluggish. Slow. Dull. What the heck? Can this really be the one meal with the little bits of dairy, potatoes, and non-compliant bacon I had on Saturday?

The only other real difference in what I'm eating is the sausages I got from the German meat market. I asked about sugar, preservatives and artificial ingredients. Maybe I should have asked about gluten and dairy. Hmmmm.

I've averaged 8.6 hours of sleep the past 4 nights, no less than 8 each night.

I've also been primarily at my desk these past 2 days, researching, reading, and ideating for a presentation. Maybe the high brain activity and anxiety over the presentation are keeping me "down."

And it's edging toward mid-February, when I typically discover I'm getting a little winter blues. 10 years ago it would be a painful ache in my soul. The last 4 years, post gluten, have been more of a blip.

To add insult to injury, I discovered today that I didn't win a big, exciting bid for a new client. Boooo!

I'm thinking about closing up mental shop early today, meditating sooner, and crawling into bed before I normally would. Maybe a little cleansing sleep would help.

Hope your in bed and tomorrow is full of energy :)

I made that last week before I got sick and only just got to eat some this weekend. You can't really taste the chocolate. Or, at least, it doesn't taste "chocolatey." I think the chocolate probably just adds a depth of flavor. Good chili, though!!

I've made it four times and it doesn't taste like chocolate at all !! Trader Joes has cocoa for pretty cheap (I bought mine for a lot more at the health food store!!).

I am picking Well Fed up tomorrow from the library! Very excited. I had a successful birthday dinner day. I ate healthy and light all day and went to the gym and read my yoga book and worked out on the elliptical and did some yoga by myself. We went to a Mexican restaurant and I had fajitas with guacamole and salsa. I was not very happy with my meal. It seemed so greasy and unhealthy even not eating the carbs and other junk. Sigh. The kids love to go there but I've decided next time I am just going to eat a Larabar and order some decaf coffee and just enjoy the ambience. My guac is better any way :) I did have a piece of birthday cake. It was good and it was a small piece. Tomorrow is going to be a total compliant day for me though.

What! A green tipped banana or a green apple is allowed!?! You just made my day. I didn't buy the book because I didn't want to pay $20 to hear "Whole30 - Fruit" so I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! Of course, I PREFER very ripe bananas and red delicious apples, but less preferred fruit is better than none!

A similar recipe I found, that might make you feel better eating it, is zucchini fritters. 3 eggs, 1 TBSP nut flour, salt & pepper, & 2 medium zucchini shredded. Mix it up & cook like pancakes. My husband LOVED these (though he wanted meat in it, which is probably why he really liked the egg foo yong). A variation I made is with 1/2 banana and carrots instead of zucchini, plus some chopped hazelnuts or pecans.

Yep, and a cup of roasted beets or butternut squash or pumpkin a day. Assuming you're doing a level 3, which is what you do if you've followed a paleo diet. You're also allowed 8oz per day of coconut juice/water or kombucha. The no veggies are corn, sweet potatoes/yams, white potatoes and winter squash, no peanut or cashews, no grains/legumes/beans, dairy, etc. Not even gum.

Snail blood.

That's what I have today. I'm just sluggish. Slow. Dull. What the heck? Can this really be the one meal with the little bits of dairy, potatoes, and non-compliant bacon I had on Saturday?

Yesterday I did a whole lotta nothing. Today I have to go to Costco and I don't wanna. I'm tired. My sleep hasn't been great the last couple of nights. I crawled into bed at 9:45 last night but got sucked into a show (I'm weeks behind on Revenge and Parenthood from my Whole30 and getting sleep instead of watching TV!). I have read that it takes a few weeks to recover from an indulgence in wheat (I believe Sarah Fragoso wrote about it) so it is possible that Saturday could be affecting you.

Oh, 1/1 peeps.... Well, my 1/31 dinner posted earlier was as non-compliant as I got. I immediately launched into an attempt at the AIP. And I just decided to bag it. Too hard. Not prepared enough. Hungry. Obsessive. Downstream result was bound to be a really hard fall.

So, I just had some eggs and almonds in my lunch, and I feel like I "cheated." And also like I just sank into a warm bath, aaaaahhhh. What a relief!

I suppose I'll spin it as an ultimately positive, post-W30 strategy... up the restriction-ante, so that a reversal to my 'new normal' (W30-compliant) feels like indulgence. I'm beating myself up a little for "failing" but I know that's totally stoopit.

That sounds like a great idea to spin it. I'm still considering the AIP but yeah, I need to get more things under my belt first before I attempt it. Granted, Practical Paleo has the 30 day meal plan with shopping list so maybe I can focus on that..

Yesterday I did not do much. I did some work on my computer and then played some games and then cuddled with my son while he napped and caught up on some TV shows. After my daughter got home she wanted to play xbox (Beautiful Katamari) so we did that for a bit, and then I went to ballet. She changed some things up, instead of barre work we did things in the middle of the floor. No support, so my muscles definitely feel it today! My son woke me up in the middle of the night..the way this always happens, he wakes me up to nurse, my husband's alarm clock goes off to take his second medication dose and then I'm wide awake for 30 more minutes. Rough. I think I was awake for about an hour last night.

I have been fairly compliant the past week, with the exception of some red wine and 90% dark chocolate. Both make me slightly more hungry and awoke the sugar dragon, I believe the wine more so. I also had an organic macaroon with agave and that was too much sugar--I wanted more. I have been trying to eat bitter/sour things when I crave sweets...olives, pickles. I also tried my hand at dairy---just heavy whipping cream in my coffee yesterday...delish! I could live if that was the only dairy I had once in the morning. Seem to be OK and need to keep away from the cheese/yogurt/milk etc. I am believing now that it takes more than 30 days to get the effects of gluten and grains out of the system. In the past week, I have seen more changes to my mid-section. I have been working out but I think it is the extended period of grain-free and I am really looking for some magic to happen by the end of February. Keeping thee scale in the closet!!!

It's been almost a week since we finished, and I'm still 90% compliant. Friday night I ate an entire container of coconut sorbet, which contains sugar. I also picked up some coconut chips from Trader Joe's, they also had sugar. I inhaled the entire bag immediately so they're definitely not something to keep around the house. I also bought a few bars of dark chocolate from TJ's, and have been very responsibly chipping away at them slowly. And the most important thing to me: I am still sober.

I'm getting leaner still, which I like a lot. Since we're off the W30, I've started a four day powerlifting/bodybuilding split, including two days of yoga. I posted a different thread regarding protein powder options (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6997-paleo-protein-powder/) and I'm looking for something that will do the least harm. I appreciate Renee's advice on BCAAs, and I'm looking for one without caffeine as I work out in the evening and some of my medications interact with heavy amounts of caffeine.

Other than that, feeling awesome. Doing a lot of inward reflection and working on the other 8 factors of the Whole 9 life!

Yep, and a cup of roasted beets or butternut squash or pumpkin a day. Assuming you're doing a level 3, which is what you do if you've followed a paleo diet. You're also allowed 8oz per day of coconut juice/water or kombucha. The no veggies are corn, sweet potatoes/yams, white potatoes and winter squash, no peanut or cashews, no grains/legumes/beans, dairy, etc. Not even gum.

Uh-oh. I have an acorn squash (and a butternut squash) that I planned to cook this week. Didn't know about the no winter squash thing. (Also, I need to look up which squashes are considered winter squash.) Maybe I won't call this a 21DSD, but I will stick with the one serving fruit/day and no Lara bars/sweet potatoes for the rest of the 21 days. If the starchiest thing I eat is some squash, I think I'll still see big benefits. Already, I feel better than I did before (even better than on Whole30). Could be the less fruit, smaller dinners, more exercise, and more sleep.... LOL Of course it's all of those. Since I reduced my dinner size (and eat it earlier), I also wake up feeling lighter and hungrier in the morning. This is how I expected to feel on the Whole30.

So much good stuff written here. I want to reply and comment. I have 5 minutes to scan and get out to my next meeting. You're all wonderful. You are.

I was so. freaking. blah. yesterday. So. I went to bed a little earlier. For the first time in several weeks, I had to get up in the middle of the night for the potty. It would have been twice had I not woken at 4 (I'm guessing) and decided to just bear with it. That, erm, pressure created quite the stream of weird dreams. None food related. Thankfully.

Anyway, I'm feeling much better today. Much more energetic. So, hey, maybe my dairy indiscretion on Saturday was the culprit and my body is ridding itself of the ickies from fighting that intrusion.

I'm grateful for increased energy. I've already had one networking meeting (over a lovely compliant breakfast) and closed on a mortgage refi. I'm off next to a networking lunch. And then I'm heading off on a 2-hour drive to work with another agency on a new business pitch for the afternoon. And I have to drive back after that. I've packed up boiled eggs, carrots, bananas, and coconut butter for the road and in case any of these meals along the way don't do what they need to.

Mwah! Have a great day (or what's left of it)!

I'm grateful for increased energy. I've already had one networking meeting (over a lovely compliant breakfast) and closed on a mortgage refi. I'm off next to a networking lunch.

Way to be prepared! & Congratulations on the mortgage refi closing.

Also, don't you love it when a business meal is compliant! Just experience that myself with a business lunch: grilled mahi mahi with sundried tomatoes & basil, served with asparagus and rice. I got broccoli instead of rice & added a side salad with a drizzle olive oil & lemon for dressing. Lots of veggies, fish... probably not enough fat, but I keep some emergency coconut oil at work for just the occasion!

What are your opinions on serving size for sweet potatoes? I call today 'Overcommitment Wednesday' because I race from place to place ending up at work for a long time. I have about 20 minutes and decided to eat what was ready so that was chocolate chili (yum) and a whole sweet potato. Usually I have half a sweet potato and something green. Opinions? It was very satisfying so I think I may do this all the time.

Also, I picked up Well Fed and perused a bit. I already made most of the things I think we would like but I'm happy to get to read through it this week.

I've made it four times and it doesn't taste like chocolate at all !! Trader Joes has cocoa for pretty cheap (I bought mine for a lot more at the health food store!!).

Hershey's Unsweetened cocoa is just that: straight cocoa. That was the kind I already had in the cupboard, and I was thrilled it was compliant.

Today is dairy day for me! So far so good - only had some cheese with breakfast. (Yum: cheese. :D ) Having yogurt with lunch and sour cream and more cheese with dinner tonight. Sour cream is my weakness... I can't wait. Am I the only one on here doing a structred reintroduction plan as outlined in ISWF? This was the part I've been looking forward to the whole time - the biggest reason I was doing the Whole 30 to start with: to figure out if I have allergies/aversions. Happy to rule out a problem with gluten so far, although I'll most likely continue to limit it in my diet for other reasons.

What are your opinions on serving size for sweet potatoes?

Weightwise, less is better for me. But I also have a TON of weight to lose. I was eating maybe 1/2 sweet potato once or twice/week during Whole30, along with maybe 2 servings of fruit/day. Now that I cut those out/down, definitely seeing better results.

If I recall your other posts correctly, though, you're so active that it might not have as negative an impact for you.

Am I the only one on here doing a structred reintroduction plan as outlined in ISWF? This was the part I've been looking forward to the whole time - the biggest reason I was doing the Whole 30 to start with: to figure out if I have allergies/aversions. Happy to rule out a problem with gluten so far, although I'll most likely continue to limit it in my diet for other reasons.

Only one who's mentioned it, at least. I already know that I'm lactose intolerant (not too bad if I limit serving of dairy to one) and that my weight responds negatively to grains/sugar. Maybe I will test the legumes, which I haven't brought back in yet, but do have some lentils at home.

Weightwise, less is better for me. But I also have a TON of weight to lose. I was eating maybe 1/2 sweet potato once or twice/week during Whole30, along with maybe 2 servings of fruit/day. Now that I cut those out/down, definitely seeing better results.

If I recall your other posts correctly, though, you're so active that it might not have as negative an impact for you.

Only one who's mentioned it, at least. I already know that I'm lactose intolerant (not too bad if I limit serving of dairy to one) and that my weight responds negatively to grains/sugar. Maybe I will test the legumes, which I haven't brought back in yet, but do have some lentils at home.

I, too, already know what produces bad results. Worst is gluten, less so legumes, sugar is an awful physical reaction too for that matter and the only surprise has been itchiness with cheese. A friend dropped off some kefir today so we are going to experiment with that. I am a bit intrigued by it but if I have any doubts regarding a reaction, I will drop it like a bad habit in no time. I considered a strict reintroduction but went with a looser approach since I've been following Paleo for quite some time. I've been very mindful, however, of how I feel after everything I eat just in case I learn something new.

Please let me know if you taste the chocolate in your chocolate chili. I didn't have cocoa powder, so I grated a bar of 100% cocoa instead and didn't really measure it. Maybe I didn't put enough... or maybe you don't really taste it.

Didn't taste the chocolate as chocolate, not even as strong as a lot of moles. But a nice, rich flavor. I made a triple batch of beef and a one-and-a-half batch of turkey as not everyone in my household eats beef. Lots of leftovers to freeze! I love me a full freezer.

Am I the only one on here doing a structred reintroduction plan as outlined in ISWF? This was the part I've been looking forward to the whole time - the biggest reason I was doing the Whole 30 to start with: to figure out if I have allergies/aversions.

I don't think I'll do a formal introduction. I already know I have a problem with sugar, legumes, nuts, and and probably gluten or even all grains. Not sure about dairy, but I don't really miss it.

Interesting 2/4/13 w9 blog posting... the time-limited intention of an official w30 or 45 or 60 or whatever, when to stop, when enough is enough, etc. I think I'm just liking this too much to stop now. It's still fun and I don't find it particularly difficult. I like not being hungry all the time and having cravings.

My plan is to do this WholeWhatever till I'm done (I'll know it when I see it, I'm thinking. I'll want that ice cream at some point), and then be mindful and premeditative with 'reintroduction.' I'm not even calling it a Whole 'anything' at the moment.

Like MyWar said, "Doing a lot of inward reflection and working on the other 8 factors of the Whole 9 life!" Love it.

Uh-oh. I have an acorn squash (and a butternut squash) that I planned to cook this week. Didn't know about the no winter squash thing. (Also, I need to look up which squashes are considered winter squash.) Maybe I won't call this a 21DSD, but I will stick with the one serving fruit/day and no Lara bars/sweet potatoes for the rest of the 21 days. If the starchiest thing I eat is some squash, I think I'll still see big benefits. Already, I feel better than I did before (even better than on Whole30). Could be the less fruit, smaller dinners, more exercise, and more sleep.... LOL Of course it's all of those. Since I reduced my dinner size (and eat it earlier), I also wake up feeling lighter and hungrier in the morning. This is how I expected to feel on the Whole30.

My list says winter squashes are acorn, delicata and kabocha. I didn't even realize that I had the option of beets, butternut or pumpkin until I told you about it.. but I'm feeling rather good without them. I feel like I still have a lot of food options. :)

I, too, already know what produces bad results. Worst is gluten, less so legumes, sugar is an awful physical reaction too for that matter and the only surprise has been itchiness with cheese. A friend dropped off some kefir today so we are going to experiment with that. I am a bit intrigued by it but if I have any doubts regarding a reaction, I will drop it like a bad habit in no time. I considered a strict reintroduction but went with a looser approach since I've been following Paleo for quite some time. I've been very mindful, however, of how I feel after everything I eat just in case I learn something new.

Kefir! I have some grains I had used for milk kefir that I converted to use in coconut milk (and to make coconut milk kefir yogurt) as a substitute mainly for my son's smoothie popsicles. I've never been that big of a fan of fermented dairy so I don't know if it will appeal to me. I do enjoy fermenting foods, though, so I might suck it up and drink some just for the benefits to my body.

Another awful night with the boy-child that lasted about 1 1/2 hours at 2:30am. At least I went to sleep around 9:45. I'm breaking my no caffeine rule today and my husband is going to 7-11 to procure me some. Thankfully I still have a can of coconut milk in the cabinet. I have a friend coming over with her son this morning, then another friend coming over for dinner tonight, and my daughter has wanted to invite a neighbor girl over so I sent a letter with her to give to her friend's mom with our contact information. Now is when the pressure to keep the house spotless starts. Thankful I had the 30 days to not care. ;)

I'm buying an Excalibur dehydrator! I'm going to make beef jerky (yummmm) for me, and fruit leather for the kids, and I'm sure there are a ton of other things, too. UPS delivered my 25 lb box of almond flour last night. I am making a bread recipe for my kids and muffins for breakfasts for them/my husband. As much as I don't want them relying on alterna-flours I feel it's better than the alternative. I think my daughter is suffering from blood sugar spikes and drops and my mom got me all paranoid about type 1 diabetes that I'm taking her to the doctor on Monday to talk to him about it. Just to rule it out. I think she thinks the dietary modification I do isn't all it's cracked up to be, and I really despise the second guessing when she hasn't done any of the research I have. :(

Another awful night with the boy-child that lasted about 1 1/2 hours at 2:30am. At least I went to sleep around 9:45. I'm breaking my no caffeine rule today and my husband is going to 7-11 to procure me some. Thankfully I still have a can of coconut milk in the cabinet. I have a friend coming over with her son this morning, then another friend coming over for dinner tonight, and my daughter has wanted to invite a neighbor girl over so I sent a letter with her to give to her friend's mom with our contact information. Now is when the pressure to keep the house spotless starts. Thankful I had the 30 days to not care. ;)

I'm buying an Excalibur dehydrator! I'm going to make beef jerky (yummmm) for me, and fruit leather for the kids, and I'm sure there are a ton of other things, too. UPS delivered my 25 lb box of almond flour last night. I am making a bread recipe for my kids and muffins for breakfasts for them/my husband. As much as I don't want them relying on alterna-flours I feel it's better than the alternative. I think my daughter is suffering from blood sugar spikes and drops and my mom got me all paranoid about type 1 diabetes that I'm taking her to the doctor on Monday to talk to him about it. Just to rule it out. I think she thinks the dietary modification I do isn't all it's cracked up to be, and I really despise the second guessing when she hasn't done any of the research I have. :(

We co-slept with our kids too. My youngest still climbs in bed with us every night around midnight which is cool but the past two nights my now 6 year old has joined her and I have slept terribly. I blame the birthday excitment for Tues but not sure what happened last night. I am so wiped out.

But I got my Vitamix! Any suggestions on what speed for how to make the Larabars? I am buying the dates today. The recipe I am doing is almonds, coconut flakes, tsp coconut oil and dates. I only have the wet blade so if you have suggestions on how to do it let me know. I don't want to screw up as our budget is super tight until I get paid on the 31st. :)

Archived