Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Sugar victory!

Somehow, this girl was in charge of bringing birthday goodies to work today .... pecan pie and DQ ice cream. Holy moly! I've resisted all day long, and I'm so proud! Only 2 more hours until I can escape the smell of sugar in the air!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...I read the free 30 page sampler of Well Fed and mainly from seeing the part on "WOD" type prepping in an hour to how each recipe has ways you can vary it, I immediately bought the book on Amazon. It will arrive this afternoon! Just in time for tomorrow's prep.

I think you will love the book, NatPatBen. Not only are the recipes delicious, but the writing and personality of the book is terrific.

Thanks to everyone else for the great tips and encouragement. Definitely like the thought of planning a week of meals in advance. I think that would help me get my arms around things.

Somewhere here I read a tip to unsubscribe to any non-Whole30 food boards. Great idea. I was always a touch bothered by those pictures of cakes and stuff that aren't positive in my life anyway. So I did a search on "Whole30" to see what people are posting in Pinterest. I see a lot of stuff that is labeled Whole30 or even Whole 30 Approved that seems like a bit of a stretch according to how I'm interpreting the rules. And some of that which technically is Whole30 still seems to be paleofied junk or trigger foods anyway. Anyone else notice this? There is some good stuff on there. If you know of any good boards, certainly pass them on. Otherwise, I'll be getting my ideas and recipes from less-tempting sources. And...I just got a call that my copy of Well Fed is in at the bookstore. Yay! Perfect timing.

Somewhere here I read a tip to unsubscribe to any non-Whole30 food boards. Great idea.

So funny that you mention this. Moments ago I went through Facebook and Instagram and did some deep house-cleaning. Just don't want to see all those baked goods (or luscious off-plan burgers, or whatever) every time I look at those sites.

If it doesn't strengthen my resolve, I don't want to subject myself to it. Not this month, anyway.

Enjoy your bookstore adventure and your afternoon of Whole 30 goodness... Well Fed is such a treat!

I'm so glad I joined this forum before I used up the Barnes & Noble gift cards I got for Christmas. *adds Well Fed to book list to buy*

We have one Paleo cookbook - Paleo Comfort Foods - and I made some butternut squash soup from that the other night... the recipe needs some tweaking (I found it too spicy, so want to cut back on the ginger and nutmeg), but was good. Last night I let my creative juices flow and (possibly invented a dish?) made a non-dairy/non-gluten Whole 30 version of chicken parmesan: I used spaghetti squash, my standby homemade tomato sauce (which was already compliant - I was so excited), then breaded some chicken breasts in egg and coconut flour and pan fried them in ghee, finishing them with a stint in the oven... it was delicious. The best part was: no recipe needed. And now I'm excited to think about what other recipes I already was making that are either compliant or could be made so with a few minor substitutions. Inspiring! (And it was good on the reheat - I just had leftovers for meal #2.)

This weekend I'm going heavy duty on the meal planning - as a lot of you have also said - I think that will make a huge difference. I'm going to make a big pot of chili on Sunday that can be used for meals throughout the week, as well. Getting excited about possibilities!

Happy Day 4, everyone!

Oh - and Jenn35 - my office had a sudden, tempting smell of buttery biscuits yesterday afternoon for about an hour. I don't know whose they were or where the smell came from (because I stayed strong and did not investigate), but I know how you feel abstaining from deliciousness!! Solidarity! ;)

Day 4, in the books. Dealing with wierd dreams, not the best sleep, a little heartburn /acid but its getting better. Plusses.: already seeing better skin and tonight my rings are falling off.

I desided to start whole 30 on the 31st and started the 1st. I had already grocery shopping and had to make due with what I had on hand. I had to make 2 meals each night to make what I had stretch. One for me, one for the hubs and kids. Looking forward to making meals we can all enjoy.

Day 4 and the nightmares have started. My fiance said I was talking and whimpering in my sleep. It has made getting up a little hard in the mornings, but I resisted packing up and giving away cookies so I am proud. I just bought well fed and I can't wait to get it on Tuesday, I also bought Practical Paleo and another copy of It starts with Food for my mom. I am wondering if I can get her on this bandwagon. This weekend is going to be hard since I won't be at work.

Nice to have an official place to post. I was a little lost on the forum trying to figure out where to share!

So I started January 1st - today was Day 4. It's okay so far, not easy but four days down!!

I love to cook and have spent lots of time researching recipes and trying new ones in the past four days, the paleo recipes are extremely helpful.

Last night, I had the strangest dream that I was cooking pecan brittle with brown sugar, butter, pecans, etc. I've never made this before but it was (of course) "amazing". I was tasting it as I cooked and was mortified (in my dream) that I blew my Whole30 for this! Even in my dream, I knew I wouldn't normally eat pecan brittle (hence having never made it) and was appalled at giving up three solid days for something that wasn't chocolate.

Whew! It's nice to know the food dreams are normal - thanks to the Whole30 email and forum. Here's to our success! ~Susan :rolleyes:

I'm really happy to see this thread! I find a general chat thread is nice to keep tabs on others who are in the same boat as you without going into the full detail of a daily log

This is my 3rd Whole30 and I feel bound and determined to actually finish this one. My previous two were more like a Whole29 and a Whole18!

I also just signed up to take my first ever CrossFit class this saturday. I'm scared, but excited!! A good excuse to make some sweet potato hash... so long as I work hard enough to earn a recovery meal ;)

I just want to CrossFit will help! It's an amazing partner in a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck! Keep us updated!! :) Susan

Well, I am nearing the end of Day 5 and this is the first day I have felt really awful! I tossed and turned so much last night I woke up feeling as though I hadn't slept at all and had red, aching eyes this morning despite being in bed for at least 7 hours. I felt grumpy and grouchy and I have had a headache all day ... and I couldn't be happier! It means this is working and I don't care what my body and brain throws at me, I am in this for the long haul ... I am nothing if not stubborn as a mule :)

Day 4, in the books. Dealing with wierd dreams, not the best sleep, a little heartburn /acid but its getting better. Plusses.: already seeing better skin and tonight my rings are falling off.

I desided to start whole 30 on the 31st and started the 1st. I had already grocery shopping and had to make due with what I had on hand. I had to make 2 meals each night to make what I had stretch. One for me, one for the hubs and kids. Looking forward to making meals we can all enjoy.

That's similar to what I'm doing. Last night I made chicken and potatoes in a skillet for the rest of the family and rosemary salmon and lemon roasted green beans for me.

Start of day 5 today. I am definitely at the KILL ALL THE THINGS stage. No nausea again this morning, actually come 9am (I didn't get out of bed til 7:45) my stomach was growling. Success! So glad to be through that! I have two kids, and we cosleep, so I am used to waking up several times throughout the night. I guess it was all preparation for this right? :) Today is going to be tricky, we are going to a model train exhibit with my in-laws today, then DH and I are going out to a lecture followed by a meal. There's an Elevation Burger nearby, so I'm thinking of a burger with mushrooms and caramelized onions wrapped in lettuce. I have to make sure I eat a good lunch to tide me over. I have a few cans of sardines, I think I'll pack one in my purse with a fork and maybe some nuts and a piece of fruit just in case I have issues between when we leave around 12:30 and when the lecture ends at 6:30.

DH and kids are not on this journey for me, so I've had to figure out simple meals to make for them, too. Thankfully it's worked out relatively well. One day I made bolognese and had an extra jar of marinara for them, so they had pasta with their marinara while I tried sea kelp noodles with my bolognese (not impressed, won't be doing that again). Last night I was able to get some chicken thighs and potatoes in the oven, followed by some green beans, then rosemary salmon for me. I tried a new rice recipe for them and company we had over the night before last (coconut milk, chicken stock, cardamom, rice) and I realized that I couldn't taste it for seasoning! Eek. Thankfully it turned out well, everyone liked it, and now I can get bone broth and good fats into my family easier. DH has decided to eliminate soda from his diet.. he made it to his drive home last night and decided to get a drink. I understand, because he's got narcolepsy, but I am so happy that he's trying to eliminate something alongside my Whole30. :) It's serious progress.

I am ready to hit the Tiger Blood stage. I was impressed with the amount of energy I had yesterday.. I was finally able to get my house cleaned to a baseline level since we had the flu right before I started my Whole30. I got all the laundry done, and floors cleaned, even a bathroom was cleaned! I am really lucky to be able to stay home while I do this (I'm a stay at home mom) but I can't imagine the added challenge of going to work and doing this. You guys are rock stars!

Last night the weird dreams started for me, too! I can't believe it. I dreamed I was served a beautiful frosted pink cupcake at the end of a dinner. In the dream, I ate it mindlessly, just because it was there, and then realized, "Oh no! I just blew the Whole 30!" I find this very amusing.

Just stopped by Whole Foods. Picked up ground beef (grass fed, don'tcha know...), cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and ingredients for a butternut squash soup. Cook-a-thon, here I come. Five days in, I think this is the longest I've gone in about 25 years without chocolate (seriously).

Today is going to be tricky, we are going to a model train exhibit with my in-laws today, then DH and I are going out to a lecture followed by a meal. There's an Elevation Burger nearby, so I'm thinking of a burger with mushrooms and caramelized onions wrapped in lettuce. I have to make sure I eat a good lunch to tide me over. I have a few cans of sardines, I think I'll pack one in my purse with a fork and maybe some nuts and a piece of fruit just in case I have issues between when we leave around 12:30 and when the lecture ends at 6:30.

Torena, sounds like you are kicking butt. I love the foresight and planning here! And I love that you are packing a fork. Perhaps packing a fork in your pocketbook should be some kind of Whole 30 gang sign :)

Let us know how today goes!

Five days in, I think this is the longest I've gone in about 25 years without chocolate (seriously).

25 years! It might be that much for me, but I don't know how long it's been for me that I haven't had sugar in general. I loved my Starbucks trips (I reached "Gold" status on my card within a couple of months of getting it), and DH would often make a run to the convenience store down the street for my sugar fix in the evenings. I will likely be going to Starbucks at some point this weekend to hang out with a friend, but thankfully they have tea!

It's been so great reading all of you posts, it's really helping keep me motivated! I'm on Day 5 today and doing well, the headaches and muscle aches have finally gone away, but the weird dreams started (I was scarfing down gobstoppers in my dream the other night, woke up feeling so guilty!!). The cravings for mac and cheese and chick fil a have been pretty terrible as well, but I haven't caved yet!

I've been entertaining the notion of doing this diet for a few months now, the holidays and working at a very busy resort in Orlando have not helped encourage this. I finally decided that no matter what I was starting off the New Year right. I have very bad allergies both seasonal and food (peanuts, soy, corn, hops) which up until now i just ignored these because they didn't put me in anaphylactic shock to eat them, but I'm realizing how much better I feel taking out all the terrible foods, especially the soy! I also have terrible oral allergy syndrome to almost all fruits and vegetables, but I've been chugging through this whole time. I'm really hoping I can stop taking the allergy medication and really enjoy all the fruits and vegetables without the itchy throat and watery eyes soon!

I'm getting a lot of push back at work too, many a coworker has called me crazy, but I'm trying very hard to not let that get to me. The pound cake sitting 5 feet away from me in the office last night did not help much either, but my Beef Stew helped get me through it!

The one thing that concerns me is how this is going to affect my relationship with my boyfriend, our absolute favorite thing in the world to do is to try new restaurants and new wines, and wine is out for now and the restaurants are looking like they are going to be more of a hassle than fun to go to now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Great job everyone so far, you all can do it, only 25 more days to go!!!

I missed this thread before :)

I started 1/1/13 too. I am doing Whole 30 and 21DSD at the same time. I discovered primal/paleo about three years ago and have been eating this way 80% of the time off and on since then. I've flirted with Whole30 for over a year now, but have been unwilling to forego splenda and heavy cream in my coffee and my monthly adult beverage (which more recently has become my weekly adult beverage), but no more. I am all in.

I am doing well. I've dealt with some dizziness, stomach issues and fatigue, but all in all, I'm pleased with how it is going so far. No real cravings. I have some fleeting thoughts, but really it isn't so bad. I made it so much more in my mind leading up to this than it really is. I won't lie and say that I don't miss my coffee (I gave it up entirely for now), but it is manageable.

My main goal is for this first Whole 30/21 DSD is to combat a serious issue of insulin resistance and so far so good. My fasting is down from over 200 to 109 for the last two days! Success!

I plan on doing these intermittently over the next two years. My long term goal is to eventually reverse my diabetes and get off all meds. I do have a lot of weight to lose, but hopefully that will just be a lagniappe (as we say in Louisiana...means a little something extra.)

Meals have been going well. I love to cook and I have gobs of paleo resources so in that area I am set (Love my Well Fed Cookbook, will be buying It Starts With Food next paycheck). The hardest thing for me is realizing what my triggers are and not paleofying those types of foods. I am fearful of doing the wrong thing so I am playing it extremely safe, which can be a little boring. But, I am learning. The other difficulty is that we are in temporary housing so my kitchen utensils/space are very limited. We are in the process of buying a house with a beautiful kitchen that I can't wait to fill with appliances that will make it easier for me to put out delicious, wholesome, healthy meals! First thing on the list is one of those tools that will turn my zucchini into noodles, LOL. That it tiresome doing it by hand!

Looking forward to following everyone's progress on this thread. :)

So here we go, day 5!

Yesterday was a tough one. I didn't bring enough food to work, so by the end of the day I was ready to eat paper, and I had a pretty bad headache.

My finance and I had some friends over for dinner, and I decided to cook the way I would if we weren't entertaining (i.e. paleo). So we had grilled santa maria tri tip, grilled carrots, grilled asparagus with crumbled grilled prosciutto (I love to grill) and a lemon olive oil sauce, and riced broccoli (cooked in ghee).

It was delicious, but the meal was still tough for me because the other three were drinking good wine, and after dinner... my dad's homemade (amazing) fudge came out... as did some sea salt butterscotch bites from Trader Joes that our guests brought. I sat there and watched them eat and drink things that I really wanted, but I did not partake! Like. A. Boss.

The most interesting (and painful) part of this was that while I was sitting there like a dog told to 'STAY' with a table full of treats in front of my nose, my head was THROBBING... like blood vessels popping out of my temples and a bad, bad headache unlike any I have experienced in a while. I think that I am emotionally and mentally tied to things like sugar and wine in deeper ways than I first thought going in to this whole 30. For that reason, it makes it much more imperative to stay the course and break free from these well-worn neural pathways that would have me knee deep in chocolaty, sugary, winey mud without even a second thought.

I think we all want to believe in a grand, ceremonious moment where, with much pomp and circumstance, and in front of a cheering crowd we once and for all time 'break free' from the things that hold us in captivity. My friend Darin once told me that the process of breaking free isn't actually like that for most people. It is a gradual loosening of the shackles, a feeling of the chains slackening, and with each inch of slack chain we gain a little more freedom of movement which lets us wiggle more and create more slack until eventually, we can slip out of the things that hold us down and run free. Last night I was reminded that my chains are loosening, but they are still very much attached to me. Here's to 25 more days of loosening the chains!

It's Day 4 for me, and I'm pretty much amazed that I've made it this far without some serious complications or possible slaughter of other humans (HA!).

I just have to say - rollthewindowsdown - what you described about chains is really an eloquent and beautiful description of reality for me too. You are right that it's not one moment. It's really a lot like quitting anything. I gave up smoking a long time ago... but it wasn't an AHA! moment when I stopped and felt better. It took a long time to see that I actually appreciate feeling good overall over feeling good the few minutes I smoked a cigarette. I still on occasion want to smoke when I feel really stressed, or at certain times after a great meal. I imagine it'll be the same for sweets and dessert - which I LOVE gah!!

I'm hoping the Whole 30 will do for me what quitting smoking did for me - show me what I feel like without those evil sugars. GOD... if anything it's made me read labels and realize it's in EVERYTHING! Which really helps to prove the point how addicting it is. Why does it need to be in salad dressing? Taco seasoning? Salsa?! It doesn't... but it probably made me think I liked it more at the time and buy it again.

Here's to understanding what feeling good really means :o) With my glass of water for a toast instead of wine (boo).

Ah! I needed a good laugh and found it here!

Good to know I'm not alone in the weird dreams. Yeah the "Kill All Things" post made me laugh so much (it was January 3rd on the Whole9 blog for those that missed it). My son says I should probably go to my boyfriends house in case today is "Kill All Things Day" since it didn't hit yesterday. However, maybe my biking and other activities are counteracting it just enough. Gosh, I hope so!

The dreams are weird, but at least last night it was chocolate covered mac nuts from Hawaii - that is what I'm having on day 31! It's only 30 days. We've got this! Good luck all - the support of the forum is very valuable! See you here :)

I am so glad to read that others are having crazy dreams! I keep dreaming about Muenster cheese and chocolate, it's been so weird.

I started on 01/01/2012 and I've had some headaches but that's it. I am really shocked, I expected it to be way worse. I have kids and so far I've been making two meals but I am planning on only making paleo dinners for next week. There is lots of junk at work but I am lucky that so far everyone has been super supportive.

We will see how it goes. I'm so glad there are others on this journey too! Yay!

Torena, sounds like you are kicking butt. I love the foresight and planning here! And I love that you are packing a fork. Perhaps packing a fork in your pocketbook should be some kind of Whole 30 gang sign :)

Let us know how today goes!

Well, I forgot the fork! I made DH bring home chipotle (with carnitas, so no soybean oil) for lunch. I took an apple, plus a container with some apple chips, macadamia nuts and sunflower seeds. I did take the sardines with me. Around 4 I ate my apple and some of the macadamias. The lecture finished up around 7, and by the time we made it back to my inlaws around 7:45 I was famished. Thankfully she had roasted a Whole30 legal leg of lamb, some carrots and potatoes. I ended up making a vinaigrette with garlic, lemon and olive oil and have some salad with my carrots and leg of lamb. It was sooooooo good. We're supposed to go over there for the Redskins game tomorrow, and nothing she is planning on making will be legal so I'll be taking some leftover chicken and veggies and some PureWraps for me. Now, it is time for bed! Good night!

Well, it is the end of Day 5 and I am shocked and amazed that I've made it 5 days without dairy. Holy cow!

For me Days 2-4 were really hard. I had an intense migraine and had to go in to see my doctor. My blood pressure is normally 112/78, but on days 3 and 4 it was between 130/104 and 128/90. The doctor thinks it is from the pain of the migraine. I am to go back in on Monday and have my bp checked again. But, the point that I am trying to make here is that after the migraine passed, at the end of day 4, I had this amazing surge of energy. I mean, whoa! It was pretty intense. I cleaned the house hardcore from about 6-11pm. Considering I only got 5 hours of sleep last night, I was pretty energetic today as well. I am looking forward to seeing how I feel in another week. Also, I am hoping to see a reduction in migraines (and weight and my cholesterol).

-Hilary

Archived