Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Day 7 thoughts/observations/motivational nuggets:

-My sleep seems to be improving. I am feeling better when my alarm goes off at 5:12 every weekday. This is a good thing!

-I made a bolognese sauce over spaghetti squash a few days ago that was freakishly tasty... seriously! I want to eat that every day. I have the leftovers for lunch today, and I'm really excited about it. Here's the recipe: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-spaghetti/ (I used ghee as my cooking fat, and omitted the bacon, celery, and heavy cream... the bacon and celery by preference and the cream by necessity). So good.

-My clothes are fitting better day by day, and I feel better about my body image which is something I struggle with every day.

-I'm still getting headaches almost every day. I am eating nice big portions, and I feel satisfied, but my body is still figuring out how to access energy from my fat, so I'm being patient with it.

-I am really hoping to see some evening out when it comes to my moods. I have struggled with depression for years now, and the smallest little thing can change a good day to a 'down in the dumps' day. So far, that hasn't really changed much except for the fact that most days, I wake up feeling good, and I usually feel good until I encounter some form of criticism, stress, or someone cuts me off on the road, etc. If this program can flatten out some of these roller coaster maneuvers that my disposition rides on a day to day basis, I will be forever grateful. I am self employed. I write music for a living, and these mood changes have a profound affect on my creative output. So I am hoping and praying that after years of frustration and seeking solutions that food choices would be what stabilizes my mind.

-I once heard a friend of mine from Germany give a talk about new life. He said something very profound that I hadn't really thought about before. Basically (and I'm paraphrasing here) he reminded me that before something miraculously comes back to life, there has to be a death. This past week has been one of mourning the loss of how I have operated for the past 4 or 5 years; the patterns I would retrace time and time again, the use of food as reward or punishment, the worry of consuming something that would make me feel guilty (and the guilt that surely comes after eating or drinking anything that I know I shouldn't have consumed). It is a textbook case of Stockholm Syndrome, played out inside my brain! No wonder I have headaches. In the interest of seeking some form of peace and consonance in the way my physical body operates, I am trudging my way though the knee deep mud of culinary cognitive dissonance. The one thing I keep thinking is this: it has already proven to be worth it, and it will only get better from here on out.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloha, Day 7! I came down with what ISWF calls the "carb flu" (self-diagnosed) this weekend - I felt like absolute roadkill. But today I am feeling much better, so hopefully my body is starting to get used to the lack of blood sugar spikes and starting to use fat for energy. I did notice that my pants fit a little better today, which is ALWAYS a good thing. :)

I, too, had a strange dream last night wherein I went to great, death-defying lengths to snag a San Francisco Co sourdough roll (which aren't even that good, and if I was going to cave in to cravings for bread, which I'm not, I would choose something much tastier), then I ate the roll, and when I mentioned it to my boyfriend (in the dream), I suddenly realized I wasn't supposed to have bread on the Whole 30, and he was like, "Um, duh." I thought it had really happened for awhile when I woke up, before I realized it was a dream. Too weird. But I'm glad I'm not the only one dreaming about these foods!

As far as eating out, I found some options by going on yelp.com and searching "paleo." Over the weekend, my boyfriend and I visited Portland's paleo food cart: The Cultured Caveman - we had some chicken tenders breaded in coconut flour and friend in beef fat... SO GOOD.

Good luck to everyone as we close out week 1!!

I discovered that butternut squash that is peeled and cubed before putting into the oven to roast comes out SO MUCH tastier than just cutting it in half and having to scoop it. :)

I buy it already cubed at Trader Joes. It is so fast and easy and when I'm back teaching will be a big help!

-I am really hoping to see some evening out when it comes to my moods. I have struggled with depression for years now, and the smallest little thing can change a good day to a 'down in the dumps' day. So far, that hasn't really changed much except for the fact that most days, I wake up feeling good, and I usually feel good until I encounter some form of criticism, stress, or someone cuts me off on the road, etc. If this program can flatten out some of these roller coaster maneuvers that my disposition rides on a day to day basis, I will be forever grateful. I am self employed. I write music for a living, and these mood changes have a profound affect on my creative output. So I am hoping and praying that after years of frustration and seeking solutions that food choices would be what stabilizes my mind.

I struggle with depression too. I take fish oil supplements and Vitamin D daily. I love Andrew Weil (been a big fan of his for a long time) and I just finished his book 'Spontaneous Happiness.' If you don't know about him he is a Harvard med school doctor who is really into natural healing and nutrition. He started the Integrated Medicine school in Arizona training MDs in holistic practices. Anyway, I love him and the book is filled with insights and a lot of really good, helpful tips for managing depression. I highly recommend it.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing any digestive issues, specifically getting a bit "backed up?" I don't mean to get into gross territory, but being that we are all on the same timeline, I was curious if anyone else has been experiencing this?

Hey Travis! You've probably already conquered this but just in case you haven't, here's my "two cents".

Something I learned years ago was that exercise stimulates our digestive tract. A short daily bike ride, walk or run will help. I know it's harder to get out in the winter, but I joined a running group (found them on Facebook, just like I found Melissa and Dallas), bought some yoga at a studio thought LIving Social (even though I CAN do yoga at home - it's fun to do it with others) and restarted my CrossFit (that's tough for me to do by myself). I don't do all of these things daily (a girl has to go to work, you know?) but having these options helps tremendously. I like the variety of physical activity. :)

ROFL! Those are words you don't hear very often.

As far as expensive (!!!!!) we ran through about $200 of groceries during the first 7 days. Just went out this weekend and bought about $300 more, so we don't run out. And that's before I sign up with a CSA that will cost a lot upfront. But we have a lot of stuff now that should last a while (over 60oz coconut oil, lots of diced tomatoes, green chillis, coconut aminos, fish sauce, seasonings, etc). I REALLY need this grocery bill to come down significantly.

Yeah, I know, I'm really lucky! :P Try looking for coops in your area, maybe on yahoo groups. I run membership for a coconut product coop here in the DC area. We order from Wilderness Family Naturals and Tropical Traditions. There are varying types of coconut oil, priced accordingly, anywhere from $28 to $58 per gallon. Even when we're not doing paleo foods here we find uses. DH/kids love it on popcorn. I also get my coconut flour, flakes, shredded, water, etc. this way. A lot of that is up front costs, it will even out. Considering you use a tablespoon at a time of the oil and sauces it should last a while.

I drove 22 miles today to a store that carried Red Boat fish sauce. I am a crazy woman. :) As soon as I got home I put some into the broth that's going in my crock pot (with heads and feet too!).

-My sleep seems to be improving. I am feeling better when my alarm goes off at 5:12 every weekday. This is a good thing!

-I made a bolognese sauce over spaghetti squash a few days ago that was freakishly tasty... seriously!

-My clothes are fitting better day by day, and I feel better about my body image which is something I struggle with every day.

-I am really hoping to see some evening out when it comes to my moods.

My son is still the one to wake me up at night, though I am feeling more refreshed as each morning comes, too. Bolognese is one of my favorites. Mine was chunky enough this time that I just eat it without the noodles. If you want/need to get some bone broth in you can add some to thin out the sauce, it makes it really good.

I haven't noticed any difference in how my clothes fit. Granted, I got to the point where I just wear yoga pants (hey, they're black, I don't think anyone notices ;)). I tried my jeans on yesterday and they were still tight. Trying not to be discouraged.

I have definitely noticed changes in my mood. I was fairly cranky this weekend (LOL) though the frequency of that is steadily dropping.

I am on day 6 and things are going well! I haven't been on here in a few days so to catch up I did have a headache on and off most of the day on day 3, day 4 I woke up with a bad headache but it went away during my workout so that was good although I did get super irritable towards the evening. I don't know if that was because of this or just a moody day :) I did read the article that was posted about what to expect each day so I know that can be common. Day 5 I felt good. It is a bit more tough on the weekends being home. I would normally have wine, lots of wine! But I have not, so that alone is fantastic for me! I have made some delicious recipes from Everyday Paleo, I recommend that cookbook if you are looking for one! The Fiesta Chicken Soup is great, and so is the Slow Chicken Curry and Riced Cauliflower. That's all I've done so far but I'm excited to try more. One day at a time is all I can do. I haven't had gum or Sriracha in the last 3 days so that's an improvement for me :)

...Also made some really good mini paleo shepherd's pies.

I followed your link, the sheperd pie sounds amazing! I'll have to give it a try - sans the "coconut flour", I don't think I'll buy any "flours" - I think they're too processed to be Whole30. (That's just my understanding.) AND I think it will turn out fine without any flour :)

I'll have to check out your soup link, too. Thanks for the update! The forum support is invaluable.

Just wanted to report, went to the company party tonight, I was surrounded by buffalo chicken dip, enchiladas, and tiramisu and i had none!! I brought Chocolate Chili from the blog The Clothes Make The Girl, it was delicious and definitely helped me not cave in. Yay for completing the first week and congrats to everyone else who did as well!!! Check out the recipe for real if you haven't already, I'm getting her recipe book Well Fed in the mail any day now I'm so excited :)

Hello :)

Just finishing up day 7, but this is my first post here. After several long years of "kill all the things" perfectly stated above ^^^ I think I am finally feeling a little more human. I have always suspected that food was a major source for my many ailments, and I am very pleased to be finding some relief and answers. What ailments you ask???

#1 I have been shedding my hair like a wookie for as long as I can remember. My husband made the comment: "gosh honey, you don't have a rodent in the hair drain anymore... it's more like a fuzzy caterpillar" I'll take that as progress.

#2 Constant bloating. Eternal painful bloating. No grains= no bloating. SWEET!

#3 Styes. Sloth like transformations. Chalazions. I have been in an epic battle with my eyelids for almost 5 years. It began with dark beer. When ever I drink dark beer, my eyelids swell and I look like sloth" Heeeey Youuuu Guuuyyyssss" That took about a year too figure out. Then I started getting styes, to the point where it was like my whole bottom eyelid was nothing but a festering ridge of blisters. I was diagnosed with rosacea, which was causing the styes.... WRONG, well sort of. After giving up alcohol, it is painfully and sadly clear that I am developing an allergy to alcohol. Balls.

#4 I cry. A lot. For nothing, and everything. I cried my eyes out during the Tour de France for heavens sake. I can honestly say, I have not cried in 3 days. (normally I would cry talking about crying)

So, there ya have it folks. Doing good :) wishing my husband would be a bit more supportive and not as much of a stubborn old goat... Other than that, moving along to day 8!!!

#1 I have been shedding my hair like a wookie for as long as I can remember. My husband made the comment: "gosh honey, you don't have a rodent in the hair drain anymore... it's more like a fuzzy caterpillar" I'll take that as progress.

#2 Constant bloating. Eternal painful bloating. No grains= no bloating. SWEET!

#3 Styes. Sloth like transformations. Chalazions. I have been in an epic battle with my eyelids for almost 5 years. It began with dark beer. When ever I drink dark beer, my eyelids swell and I look like sloth" Heeeey Youuuu Guuuyyyssss" That took about a year too figure out. Then I started getting styes, to the point where it was like my whole bottom eyelid was nothing but a festering ridge of blisters. I was diagnosed with rosacea, which was causing the styes.... WRONG, well sort of. After giving up alcohol, it is painfully and sadly clear that I am developing an allergy to alcohol. Balls.

#4 I cry. A lot. For nothing, and everything. I cried my eyes out during the Tour de France for heavens sake. I can honestly say, I have not cried in 3 days. (normally I would cry talking about crying)

So, there ya have it folks. Doing good :) wishing my husband would be a bit more supportive and not as much of a stubborn old goat... Other than that, moving along to day 8!!!

I, too, have noticed a decrease in the amount of hair loss and bloating and crying. ;) I cried at hockey commercials.

I giggled, because the only other person I know who says "Balls" like that is my husband. haha. And boooooo on alcohol allergy!

Welcome!

Yesterday was a weird day for me. I had a great breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage patties, butternut squash and avocado). I didn't plan very well ahead, and by the time I made it 22 miles to the fancy store that carries Red Boat fish sauce, I was getting hungry (and so was my son). I ended up eating a banana in the car afterward, but then my son fell asleep on the way home, so I ran some errands. I didn't get home until 2pm and by the time I was done putting away groceries and getting him truly fed I managed to mix up a salad with a leftover chicken leg/thigh that I fried up in a little coconut oil on the cast iron. After getting my daughter from the bus at 3:30 I just hit this wall and was suddenly too tired to do anything. My husband left work at 5 and I had no plan on dinner, except that box of macaroni and cheese I bought at said fancy grocery store. Around 5:30 I started cleaning up the kitchen from my breakfast/lunch, and got the macaroni and cheese going. I put my braised beef shanks into the oven to warm them through (I figured more braising wouldn't be bad) but when it came out of the oven it just didn't smell appetizing. Does anyone else notice that the smell, and sometimes taste, of grassfed beef is a little too grassy/gamey? Most of the grassfed meat I get from my farmer so I've grown accustomed to the same taste, but these beef shanks I got from a butcher so I don't know what the breed/diet of the cows was. I took a small taste, and it tasted well enough, and then tried a bit of the butternut squash and brussels sprouts I warmed up but I just was. not. hungry. I got my World of Warcraft on for a little bit and then went to bed. Suddenly, it's 4:00 in the morning and I've realized that I spent the last hour and 45 minutes nursing my son on and off rather frequently and now my daughter is trying to climb into bed with us too. No no no no no. Thankfully my son has fallen asleep so I go climb in bed with her, hoping that I can catch some sleep but she fusses some, too. Just as my husband's alarm is going off my son realizes I am not there and my husband is not an acceptable substitute and cries, so I switch beds again. And the dreams.. oh the dreams. The vivid dreams about zombie apocalypses. Nothing about food though.

Tonight I have the first ballet and pilates classes since winter break started so I will be happy to a) get out of the house and B) get some movement in. I am not a fit person at all and I've had this box with a pull up bar inside here for a month, maybe it's time to break it out. Maybe tomorrow when I'm a little less tired. I am having some green tea right now, I know it's going to pep me up but nothing like coffee did, but I need a little bit more energy to keep up with my son today. I dropped coffee along with my Whole30 because it was a necessity and not an occasional indulgence.

Finally slept last night! I have been so wired that I have not been sleeping well. Slept all night and now I am just plain tired today. Planning to do some yoga and see if that wakes me up. Honestly, I am feeling a bit bummed today. Started over yesterday after a bad dinner Sunday (after work :angry: ) and my motivation is has tanked this morning. I FEEL heavy. I know we are not supposed to weight but I was feeling "skinny" yesterday and I couldn't help it, and I'm gaining. I would expect that it is muscle but I feel yucky so who knows. Really missing me Vegan foods and my fruit.

For those of you who have done this before, is there a typical day when things suddenly click and the magic starts to happen? Seems like this program follows pretty well with what they say you can expect so I'm curious if there's a magic day and what it is for most people. I feel like I'm just eating and eating and eating and it's freaking me out!

Torena, Have you visited www.marksdailyapple.com ? I am about 80# overweight, so I sometimes feel like a fish out of water in the whole30 as I have never done crossfit in my life! I am however starting to increase my strength and movement using Mark's free ebook. I like that it starts very, very low key so you can adapt your routine based your own ability level. I just had my husband put together my pull up bar, knowing full well I will be doing leg assisted pull ups for.... a very long time. But i'm ok with that :) Good Luck!

Does anyone else notice that the smell, and sometimes taste, of grassfed beef is a little too grassy/gamey? Most of the grassfed meat I get from my farmer so I've grown accustomed to the same taste, but these beef shanks I got from a butcher so I don't know what the breed/diet of the cows was.

Yes. Same issue. The beef I get from the two farmers I favor doesn't get to me so much. Last week, though, I bought a big old shank from someone different to make bone broth and thought I would barf the entire time it was cooking. And when it was done, I couldn't bring myself to even taste it. It smelled like I imagine the inside of a cow on a hot day might. I ended up chopping the meat with the cooked carrots to make a very special set of meals for my dogs. They found it heavenly. And the stock...I used it to make chili. There was no way I was going to choke that down.

I hit a wall yesterday too, though much later. I zoomed much of the day and then all of a sudden <insert screeching-to-stop tires sound> I was d.o.n.e. The last meal of the day helped me perk up a little. Even, by 8pm so I was ready for some gentle yoga and a nice sit on the meditation cushion before communing with my bed.

May the energy fairies visit you today.

Torena, Have you visited www.marksdailyapple.com ? I am about 80# overweight, so I sometimes feel like a fish out of water in the whole30 as I have never done crossfit in my life! I am however starting to increase my strength and movement using Mark's free ebook. I like that it starts very, very low key so you can adapt your routine based your own ability level. I just had my husband put together my pull up bar, knowing full well I will be doing leg assisted pull ups for.... a very long time. But i'm ok with that :) Good Luck!

30Canandaigua, I can identify with being overweight (more than 80# over) and feeling like a fish out of water here. I've also never done CrossFit though two of my friends are certified in it, one of them owning a gym. It's about a 25-30 minute drive from my house so I'm not seeing myself making the commitment to it, at least not in that location.

Hey, Week 1 in the bag! Listen, I am not sleeping well. I'm really looking forward to whenever that happens to kick in, because last night I slept like garbage. I feel fine otherwise, and even my cravings are starting to subside (thank goodness), but I would love a good, old fashioned staight-through-the-night sleep. Too much to ask?

Finally slept last night! I have been so wired that I have not been sleeping well. Slept all night and now I am just plain tired today. Planning to do some yoga and see if that wakes me up. Honestly, I am feeling a bit bummed today. Started over yesterday after a bad dinner Sunday (after work :angry: ) and my motivation is has tanked this morning. I FEEL heavy. I know we are not supposed to weight but I was feeling "skinny" yesterday and I couldn't help it, and I'm gaining. I would expect that it is muscle but I feel yucky so who knows. Really missing me Vegan foods and my fruit.

For those of you who have done this before, is there a typical day when things suddenly click and the magic starts to happen? Seems like this program follows pretty well with what they say you can expect so I'm curious if there's a magic day and what it is for most people. I feel like I'm just eating and eating and eating and it's freaking me out!

Different people fall into different groups when they "fix" what they eat. Some people lose weight, but others gain. What made the most sense to me was that people gain because they have been unable to properly digest foods until now. That doesn't necessarily mean you were losing weight or skinny before you ate paleo. Try not to focus on the weight if you can. I am trying very hard not to, myself, but it's discouraging when I don't notice a change in how my clothes fit yet.

How bad was your meal?

I have! I actually have an account set up there and I've posted a few times. I'm about 60# overweight myself, so I know what you mean. I did crossfit for about 6 months a year and a half ago (that is the last crossfit session I did was a year ago). I felt very VERY out of place, though everyone was nice and cheered me on as I was the last to finish my WOD. I remembered Mark Sisson's squats video and realizing that I could do that. At Crossfit I was doing box-assisted pullups and I wasn't quite strong enough to do leg-assisted. I need to get moving, I want to do more functional fitness even if it's just situps, pushups, pullups. It's cold now, and that aggravates my asthma, so running outdoors is out of the question until my asthma is under control again. I started taking ballet this past summer to strengthen my calves because I was getting shin splints from running.

Yes. Same issue. The beef I get from the two farmers I favor doesn't get to me so much. Last week, though, I bought a big old shank from someone different to make bone broth and thought I would barf the entire time it was cooking. And when it was done, I couldn't bring myself to even taste it. It smelled like I imagine the inside of a cow on a hot day might. I ended up chopping the meat with the cooked carrots to make a very special set of meals for my dogs. They found it heavenly. And the stock...I used it to make chili. There was no way I was going to choke that down.

I hit a wall yesterday too, though much later. I zoomed much of the day and then all of a sudden <insert screeching-to-stop tires sound> I was d.o.n.e. The last meal of the day helped me perk up a little. Even, by 8pm so I was ready for some gentle yoga and a nice sit on the meditation cushion before communing with my bed.

May the energy fairies visit you today.

Yes, exactly! My farmer makes raw dog food. He says, after a beef is aged, he trims off the aged stuff that we humans don't like the taste of but dogs like. I imagine that is what it must smell like (I have yet to buy the raw for my dog).

I re-read the timeline, and it talks about your body getting used to not using sugar as fuel. That must be what is going on?

Hey, Week 1 in the bag! Listen, I am not sleeping well. I'm really looking forward to whenever that happens to kick in, because last night I slept like garbage. I feel fine otherwise, and even my cravings are starting to subside (thank goodness), but I would love a good, old fashioned staight-through-the-night sleep. Too much to ask?

Yes, at this point I would trade all of the sugar in the world to get some sleep.

Archived