Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Hello everyone!! I, too, started on the 1st, along with my boyfriend, and I'm so glad to read on here that I'm not the only one who is exhausted and achy! I'm on board to help clear up my miscellaneous digestive ailments that I feel like I have always had, even when I was vegetarian (10 years) and vegan (1 year), as well as to kick my sugar/carb habit, to lose some of this pesky belly fat, and to have more energy! I work at a fairly sedentary job, and I started wearing a pedometer to track my walking trends a few weeks ago - things are not good - I'm at about 7-8000 steps a day! And I walk to work! Shockingly terrible results.

My boyfriend is doing the Whole 30 for a different reason - he's a type 1 diabetic, and while he also wants to lose weight and feel better overall, we believe this will get his blood sugar under control, based on the test days we did in December.

So, happy Day 3, everyone! I have a terrible stomachache at the moment. :(

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! Happy New Year!

I too started on January 1. I'm really not a new year's resolution kind of person, but had to get past the holidays. I found ISWF in late October, when I was looking for guidance to change the way I eat, rather than just restricting what I eat. I love food. I love wine. I love eating out, and in fact, I own a restaurant with my husband and have many like-minded friends. We love to eat and drink. But yeah, I've been feeling like crap for years and needed a change. I'm a hardcore pasta and sweets junkie. In november I dabbled a bit in the whole30 way of eating, and was impressed with the results despite not being completely on board. I knew there was great potential there. So here I am on day 3, so far so good. A few things have helped me immensely. One is the daily email, which somehow holds me accountable (it's just an email!) and the other is my husband, who's been SO supportive! He's not doing it, but is willing to shop for, cook and eat the food I'm eating when we're together. Yesterday he roasted a bunch of veggies so I could go out for a run. Not only that, he suggested we don't eat out this month except for maybe once or twice at a place where it will be easy to be compliant. This is huge, because as I mentioned, eating out is literally our life.

Day 3, and I feel pretty good. Nothing remarkable, but nothing terrible either. Slight headache, very tired this morning (but I can sleep in). I guess I feel less bloated, I imagine I've been losing some of the water weight. It's so wonderful hearing other peoples' stories and knowing that we're all in on this. I'm just trying ot keep my eyes on the prize and think of the big picture. Tonight I go back to work, and I expect this will be much harder than being at home where I'm making my own food. Hard to resist that end of the night glass of wine, and hard to resist the food cravings that happen at 11 at night after six hours of running around. But my goal is clear, and I want it.

I also recommend checking out the "nom nom paleo" ipad app (if you have one) and I'm sure it's available online as well. Lots of great recipe ideas.

Hi! I am so happy to be here!

January 2 was my Day1 or what I coined my "Cold Turkey" day. I am a marathoner, but have been an avid pseudo-athlete most my life. 4 years ago, life "interfered" and I fell asleep behind the wheel of my life, letting life happen TO me instead of being an active participant with choices in every moment. 2009 I hit the gym with free weights and then started doing Crossfit, reclaiming my life the way I envisioned it for myself.

However, I have been scratching my head for over a year now not understanding why I was still “thick†or overweight when I thought I had a “very clean†diet and run between 20 to 40 miles per week with cross-training of CrossFit, Spin Class, TRX and Hot Yoga. My body seems to be holding onto the weight, the scale won't budge and I don't always feel 100%.

With the awareness of being diagnosed with Hashitmotos Thyroiditis, I have always made sure to test my thyroid levels – which have been in check and in great ranges for the past 5 years. I decided to add to the regular tests and get tested for for cross-reactivity of food and automminue deficiencies. Conveniently, a day before Thanksgiving, my results came back to discover some major food allergies and that I have Leaky Gut. (Doesn't that sound appetizing?). My doctor recommended that I go on an Autoimmune Diet that is very specific and falls in exact line with Whole30, which I discovered from ordering and reading It Starts with Food.

WHO KNEW MY “NATURAL†FOODS I EAT HAD HIDDEN SUGAR, CORN OR SOY?! Wow! It has been an eye opener!

So relieved that I get to start feeling better, have more energy and in turn more strength and endurance. And if weight-loss comes with it, even more fabulousness!

...I love food. I love wine. I love eating out, and in fact, I own a restaurant with my husband and have many like-minded friends. We love to eat and drink. ...

Wow, kaybee, I can see where you have a challenge. It will be interesting to here how you step back from the business of food and into your own focused goal. Go, go, go!

Hello! I'm into Day2 on my second go round on Whole 30. I went it alone last time, so I'm looking forward to having (and giving) support this time-esp for when it gets tough. So far, I'm doing pretty well, but I know cravings can start anytime, and I'm hoping visiting here will help me stay on track. Good luck, everyone!

My husband and I started on the 1st as well and are doing really great. We've done paleo for almost a year but never super strict, so this is a little bit of a change for us. No cheating on the weekends will be difficult, but so worth it. I almost kissed the Fedex guy today as he delivered our bacon and sausage from US wellness meats. :D

Hey everyone! I'm Travis and I'm checking in from Long Beach, California. Started on 1/1/13 like all of you, and so far so good!

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing any digestive issues, specifically getting a bit "backed up?" I don't mean to get into gross territory, but being that we are all on the same timeline, I was curious if anyone else has been experiencing this?

If I had to guess, it would be that my body is getting rid of all the nasty stuff in the intestinal tract. I might have some digestive aid tea tonight to help kickstart the process.

Looking forward to following and contributing to this thread over the next 27 days!

Hi jtota! I was almost a vegan a year ago, until reading "the Paleo Solution" at which time I was elated to have a reason to eat steak. Smelling BBQs while on walks was a killer for me. I wanted to say that it really does help to refer to your meals and #1, #2 and #3, and ditch the word "breakfast." I love fried eggs with runny yolks, but I'm going very easy on them this time around, because for the past year I also developed acne and rashes on my face. Now I never had skin issues prior to paleo, and I couldn't figure out what was doing it. I'm suspecting eggs or nuts or both. So, for most of my Meal#1s I am having Meal#3 left overs. I really like having 1 cup portions that I can grab from the freezer the day before and heat up in the morning and throw in a bunch of veggies on top. It's really great to make it a bit soupy and flavorful by adding bone broth to the mix. It feels like a totally solid and satisfying meal. Try it!

Oh, and I started buying plain ground pork from a local farmer. Now I make my own sausage patties (no casing, no sugar, just herbs, S&P, and cayenne), based on a recipe from the cookbook "Paleo Comfort Foods.".We love them that way, and I don't really miss bacon.

If I can do this YOU can do this! :) Cheers!

Diana

Hey everyone! I'm Travis and I'm checking in from Long Beach, California. Started on 1/1/13 like all of you, and so far so good!

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing any digestive issues, specifically getting a bit "backed up?" I don't mean to get into gross territory, but being that we are all on the same timeline, I was curious if anyone else has been experiencing this?

If I had to guess, it would be that my body is getting rid of all the nasty stuff in the intestinal tract. I might have some digestive aid tea tonight to help kickstart the process.

Looking forward to following and contributing to this thread over the next 27 days!

Hey Travis from Long Beach! Yes. I have had digestive issues (clogged pipes) my entire life! Now I know it is from too many nuts (we had almond trees on our property), and starchy foods. Bone broths really help heal a leaky gut, over time. For immediate relief, try Robb Wolf's suggestion of taking about 400mg of magnesium citrate (most easily absorbed)in powder form, at night an hour or two before bed. I mix a heaping half teaspoon into a juice glass (5 oz) of warm water. You need to stir and swirl it to get all of the sediment out of the glass. It's not gross, and it is actually rather pleasant with half mineral water (San Pelligrino from Costco - by the case!), and fun to watch as it fizzes. Magnesium Citrate is the most effective for me. I also tend to overeat nuts, which turns to mortar in my pipes. Are you getting enough good oils: EVOO, avocado? Hang in there. Good luck! -Diana

My husband and I started on the 1st as well and are doing really great. We've done paleo for almost a year but never super strict, so this is a little bit of a change for us. No cheating on the weekends will be difficult, but so worth it. I almost kissed the Fedex guy today as he delivered our bacon and sausage from US wellness meats. :D

Hilary ... TOO FUNNY! -Diana

Hello! I'm into Day2 on my second go round on Whole 30. I went it alone last time, so I'm looking forward to having (and giving) support this time-esp for when it gets tough. So far, I'm doing pretty well, but I know cravings can start anytime, and I'm hoping visiting here will help me stay on track. Good luck, everyone!

Good luck back atcha! :)

Good morning! Today is my first day as well, I am really excited. I worry I am not strong enough to eliminate the awful foods/drinks I have been putting into my body for 38 years! Anyone else feel this way? Why is something as insignificant as junk food stronger than my will sometimes?

Anyways, here I go!

Laurie

Hi Laurie, I imagine it is more difficult to jump into the Whole30, without the benefit of eliminating the grains already, but if you keep your goals in mind (make it your mantra?) you will succeed. Discovering the paleo lifestyle was such a relief for me! I have tried so many diets from age 14 to 55, that I just knew I would "fail" any diet I tried, because I was emotionally tired of feel deprived and still failing. Once I told myself that I was NOT dieting, that I was choosing to become healthy (so I would avoid the stroke and heart attack that my mother had from poor eating habits), it was easier to approach. Eating paleo, I'm never hungry, my moods are stable, my blood sugar is stable, I don't feel anxious and suicidal ... I now LOVE cooking. I stopped trying to bake with grains and instead decided to learn how to cook really yummy food. Sometimes I'll come home at lunch time and cook myself a steak. When I go back to work I am so satisfied. I'll sigh and say "that was delicious" - yeah they all think I'm weird at work. Whatever. I'll take my meals at home over restaurant food ANY day!

You CAN do this. You are not alone! One foot in front of the other. Peace! -Diana

I started 6 days ago and can definitely understand why you had trouble staying off the scale your first go-round. It is so tempting!

I also relate to your statements about grain & dairy not being so missed, but needing to watch out for sugar. Ten years ago I followed the Atkins plan for 6 months. Though I didn't stick with it (dratted happy hours as an intern), I've never resumed the amount of bread/rice/pasta/soda/juice that I ate before. Those aren't even that difficult for me to say "No" to... but dessert, yikes. "Cookie" was actually one of my first words as a child and the love has continued. So far, though, I'm staying away from them easily on this Whole30.

Best wishes to all of us participating on the Whole30!

Hey NatPatBen! Cookie monster eh? I gave up baking because I have zero willpower around any baked goods. I absolutely love cookies, but I never know when to stop. Why? Probably because they do not satiate. And those little parasites that live in us and tell our brains "just one more" until the whole batch of cookies is gone, those parasites can just starve! You know, last spring I made a lot of paleo truffles to substitute for cravings for sweets. I am pretty sure that all of the nut meal and maybe even the coconut in the truffles, caused my skin to erupt into zits and eczema for the past year. Ai-yi-yi. At least I did not gain any weight, never felt deprived or hungry. But I have learned that substituting one bad habit for another is not the answer. I'm hoping this Whole30 will get me back on track. Oh, I digress here, but my worst habit of all is not getting enough sleep, which affects the cortisol levels. So, on that note, I will say good luck. See you later, and g-night! :) Diana

I thought I was getting backed up and then things got very loose yesterday. I know some people describe some bowel issues initially but they're supposed to go away with time, right?

Smoothies are not allowed? I must've missed that part. I've been having green smoothies for breakfast. Today, my breakfast consisted of a smoothie with coconut milk, kale, 1/3 avocado, almond nut butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and a few hazelnuts. Also, for protein, 2 boiled eggs.

Nope, no smoothies. I don't remember if it's in the book or on the website but it has to do with your body responding to drinking food differently to chewing it, and that the amount of food you put into a smoothie is the same as what you'd eat without pureeing it is probably not an amount that you'd eat.

Yesterday went really well. I opted for chicken and veggies for breakfast and kind of picked at it and wasn't overly nauseated like I was the previous couple of days. I did not eat past 7:30 last night, and we had company for dinner so the kids had a little bit later bedtime. Still, I was ready to sleep an hour earlier than usual, and was out by 9:45. I've been up for about 30-45 minutes and I'm having a glass of water and checking in with my body and so far I'm not feeling nauseated! Hooray!

Day 4.... and it's starting to become difficult. What feels hard is all the food prep! Holy cow. It is very time consuming. The idea that food should be *convenient* is as hard to shake as the trusty old sugar cravings.

Doing a once-every-few-days cook-a-thon (as described in Well Fed) has been truly helpful — but still. Wow. I feel like I am planning, shopping, chopping, sauteeing or cleaning up allllllll the time.

Day 4.... and it's starting to become difficult. What feels hard is all the food prep! Holy cow. It is very time consuming. The idea that food should be *convenient* is as hard to shake as the trusty old sugar cravings.

Doing a once-every-few-days cook-a-thon (as described in Well Fed) has been truly helpful — but still. Wow. I feel like I am planning, shopping, chopping, sauteeing or cleaning up allllllll the time.

I was having the same thought this morning as I made myself meal 1 and did the subsequent clean up. I realized how fortunate I am to be self-employed. I wondered how would I do this if I had to go to someone else's office 5 days a week and still do the family stuff I have on my task list. I'd love to have a bunch of new clients and projects – and at the same time I don't know exactly how I'd get all the cooking and prep done and actually sleep as much as I need (a lot!). I suppose we all learn to adapt regardless our circumstances. And I was happy to be stowing away leftovers from this morning for another meal today or tomorrow.

It would be great to have someone else nearby who is doing this also. We could divide and conquer, making a double batch of mayo or twice as much ground beef master recipe to share, for instance.

I ordered my copoy of Well Fed from a local bookstore and expect to pick it up tomorrow when I hit up the indoor farmer's market. I'm just tad bit excited about that outing.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions! My digestive aid tea helped, and I might try that magnesium trick if it becomes a problem again.

So day 4 is off to a good start. It is interesting that in todays Whole 30 daily email one of the topics is food dreams. Last night, I didn't have a dream about food, but I did have a fitful night of sleep including a straight up nightmare! Ack! I definitely feel something changing in my body.

Something that my fiance and I started doing a few months ago has really helped me succeed thus far on my quest to finish all 30 days... that is planning our meals at the beginning of every week. We don't live together, but it still works for us! Every sunday we make a spreadsheet of the week's meals and then we shop accordingly. So every morning, we have 2 hard boiled eggs, and then lunch is usually leftovers from the previous night's dinner (most of the time is is some sort of protein and veggies). Obviously, this might seem rather mundane, but I love to cook, and the food we make is usually delicious, so eating last night's extra food is actually something I look forward to pretty much every day. On weekends, we change up the breakfasts, usually making some sort of scrambled egg based dish.

Sometimes I empathize with ccraven62's endless chopping, shopping, cooking, cleaning mentality, but on most days, the only real cooking happens once per day (before dinner), and then lunches get packed as cleanup happens, and the eggs have been boiled at the beginning of the week. This system works for us, and it has made the transition into the whole 30 pretty easy because the system was already in place... it just included lots of legumes and dairy before.

Hi! I'm in for the first time, too (started Jan 1). Am still going strong, but almost had a complete melt down yesterday- I started potty-training my two-year old. What.was.I.thinking? After resisting the urge to reach for a glass of wine a couple of times yesterday, I thought "Why am I setting myself up to feel stressed?" So, potty training will begin for real February 1.

Feels good to choose my battles.

Funny you mention that. After spending a million hours on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday prepping and cooking, I stumbled across the blog of the Well Fed author. I read the free 30 page sampler of Well Fed and mainly from seeing the part on "WOD" type prepping in an hour to how each recipe has ways you can vary it, I immediately bought the book on Amazon. It will arrive this afternoon! Just in time for tomorrow's prep.

Nope, no smoothies. I don't remember if it's in the book or on the website but it has to do with your body responding to drinking food differently to chewing it, and that the amount of food you put into a smoothie is the same as what you'd eat without pureeing it is probably not an amount that you'd eat.

I'm glad you brought this up, as it prompted me to do some research through the forums & find what mods and M&D have said about smoothies. The message seems to be that while having fruit smoothies isn't breaking any "rules" of the Whole30, it doesn't set one up for success as well as other meal #1s. The main reasons seem to be the amount of fruit and the lack of satiety, as you state.

I feel comfortable continuing (started months ago) green smoothies for breakfast since 1) they do not contain much fruit, 2) I have them with protein, 3) a green smoothie and 2 eggs can keep me full for 5 hrs, and 4) It is convenient based on my limited morning prep time & bus ride to work. I do know that if I do not include the protein with the smoothie (boiled or fried eggs on the side), it does not fill me up for long, so protein is the key.

I feel more educated having done the research, so I thank you, torena, for prompting it. B)

Since my hubby and I started eating Paleo 1 1/2 years ago, we got in the habit of ALWAYS making a double recipe of anything we make for dinner. If it's freezable, we freeze at least half of it to pull out a few weeks later. And since it's just the two of us, we end up with at least one additional meal for each of us out of the first recipe to warm up in subsequent days (sometimes more). I also set a Whole 30 goal to use the crock pot at least once each week so we typically have some leftovers from that to use up each week. For tonight, I pulled out six pork chops and will do a recipe from the HollyWouldifShe Could blog (primarily because it looked to involve minimal prep).

When we started following Paleo, I had the same observation many of you have expressed (that it requires a great deal of prep). At this point, I'd say it requires significant prep no more than two or three times a week (approx. 1 1/2 hours) and the rest is minimal because our meal planning incorporates a great deal of leftovers that are either refrigerated or frozen. My initial curiosity to try lots of new recipes drove the need for a lot of prep....now I'm in a rhythm of using a lot of stand by Paleo recipes that I'm familar with, maybe changing the herbs and spices to keep things interesting and only branching out to try brand new things a couple of times a week, especially on weekends when I have more time.

Hopefully some of these ideas will spark some thought for any of you who are struggling in that area.

Day 4 is going great so far - will be interested to see if I hit a wall of exhaustion again this afternoon like I did yesterday.

Archived