Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

3 days since the end of Whole30 and I've been pretty good and had a few 'treats.' Sticking to the no-grain-no dairy. I had 85% dark chocolate (yum) which I know I would have found too bitter before Whole 30. Now it tastes sweet and really hit the spot with a cup of green tea with mint. Slightly more hungry the days I had chocolate. :( I finally had my wine on Friday night, and my intention was to savor ONE glass. But before you know it, I drank 3/4 of the bottle! It is way too easy to slip back in after 31 days without wine. I felt like crap waking up at 2am but had a bottle of water and Tylenol then so I wasn't too bad in the morning. Frankly, I think I was not completely sick because I had a good deal of protein at dinner and the wine was sulfite-free. It would be so easy to go back to wine every day but I'm not going to do it! Also, I bought coconut ice cream today but just had a few spoonfuls....very sweet! Amazing how the taste buds adjust! Love everyone's stories about testing the non-paleo waters and what you crave or wanted to have....thanks for sharing!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whole 30 redo - Day 1 was a success.

Breakfast : 2 eggs, 2 slices of side pork bacon, coffee

Lunch : Everyday Paleo Fiesta Soup with kale, blackberries and strawberries with homemade sunbutter

Dinner : grilled burger on top of Sweet Potato and Carrot Latkes from yumuniverse. Topped with shredded spinach, ketchup, and avocado. Salad with homemade Ranch.

60 minute yoga class on yogavibes.

Love the blog! Cutest bacon I have ever seen! :P I was wanting to start a blog (unrelated to Whole30) and you've inspired me to try to figure it out!

So far it's a lot of fun. Problem is, I could work on it for hours. You can always start for free. That's what I'm doing. Then there's nothing to lose.

Super Bowl Sunday always makes me think of snacks even when I am not at a party (including today). I have chicken wings in the oven (using Emeril's Hot Wing Sauce...the most compliant out of any store brand. Has the butter flavor, but really how much can be in there?) And I made the tahini dressing from Well Fed page 139--I nearly missed it because the type is sideways. It's the Baba Ghanoush recipe without the eggplant. Dipping carrot sticks into it now as I wait for the wings to finish! I have to say I think it tastes BETTER than hummus! I don't miss the chickpea flavor at all! Very yummy to have something crunchy and dippy! Enjoy the game!

I see many of you talking about how Whole30 *kind of* worked for you, that you didn't have any big issues, and that you'll not stress about eating a bit here and a bit there of something not paleo. I have admitted to myself that I cannot do that. I will binge, and binge I have. Macaroni and cheese, ice cream, sushi, ribs, chinese food, chicken and dumplings.. my gut feels tense and gassy and I have a headache and I'm depressed and frustrated. I have serious addiction issues with food, especially the ones that aren't good for me, and I need to avoid the food groups that I shouldn't have until my body is used to not having them, not craving them, etc. Anyone else feeling something similar? Feeling pretty alone in my non-paleo real life world.

I see many of you talking about how Whole30 *kind of* worked for you, that you didn't have any big issues, and that you'll not stress about eating a bit here and a bit there of something not paleo. I have admitted to myself that I cannot do that. I will binge, and binge I have. Macaroni and cheese, ice cream, sushi, ribs, chinese food, chicken and dumplings.. my gut feels tense and gassy and I have a headache and I'm depressed and frustrated. I have serious addiction issues with food, especially the ones that aren't good for me, and I need to avoid the food groups that I shouldn't have until my body is used to not having them, not craving them, etc. Anyone else feeling something similar? Feeling pretty alone in my non-paleo real life world.

Line and learn, my lady. I know there are groups of food that will make me feel awful - gluten is the biggest category. I cannot (unfortunately) claim to be a quick learner. I am not. But 30 days of clean eating has been the biggest reminder of why not to eat crap my body cant handle. Take it a day at a time.....beating yourself will not help you. Look at your body's reactions as data that you can apply next time you are faced its similar challenges.

I just posted about some psychological stuff going on in my log and on another thread. I'm totally with you there. I got a little off plan yesterday. I got back on today, but I definitely felt the demons today and ate past satisfied at dinner. I don't like rules and structure, but in the realm of food, rules serve me very well.

Today I ate a big piece of leftover birthday cake. I was pretty unhappy at myself but decided it is unusual for us to have birthday cake in the house. I've spent all day cleaning up after the party (we had 19 kids ages 6 and under at the house for 3.5 hours Sat) and even though I don't like candy found myself snacking on pieces from the pinanta. So, I threw them AWAY. My kids don't need them anyway.

So, torena I am with you. I have food issues/addictions too. And one bad thing (eating the cake) triggered other mindless eating. I realized a long time ago I couldn't have things like crackers, potato chips, etc. in the house so we don't have them. I buy things like Annie's cheddar bunnies in individual packages for the girls so super expensive so I shame myself not to eat them.

Do NOT feel bad about falling off the wagon. You can get back on and it will be okay. This is part of the process. Eating poorly doesn't make me feel all that physically bad but it makes me gain weight which I don't want.

I fell off the wagon hard too. I feel TERRIBLE this morning. Whole30 actually made me realize that I have some serious issues with food. Once I got off the Whole30 last week, I felt like a fiend. I binged on every terrible thing I could find, eating until I was so stuffed I thought I was going to throw up. That is not okay. I don't want to feel like that anymore. I could tell by the end of my 30 days that I was really starting to have a better relationship with food, and I ruined all the progress I had made, so I am starting a Whole100 today!

Don't be so hard on yourself about falling off. It is a process. You are going to mess up sometimes, do perfect other times, the only thing you can do is keep trying. It is going to be hard, really hard, but we can do it!

Oh my goodness, I'm utterly relieved to check in with this thread this morning. Thanks to each of those who have shared their post-W30 bumps and bruises here.... I'm right there with you! Went slightly nuts this weekend (pizza! cheeseburgers! cookies! candy!). And of course, I felt like dog doo yesterday. And let's just say the workout this morning was not a Triumph of the Human Spirit experience. My issues with food have never been clearer, or more aggravating. I was able to stay away from sugar without much difficulty for 30 days, but the second I'm left to my own devices, I go crazy. Ohhhhhkay.

I'm trying to look on the positive side with the following observations:

- The type of mindless, checked-out, face-stuffing eating I did yesterday used to be par for the course for me. Even a year ago, yesterday's food intake would have been a completely normal day for me.

- I stepped into action this weekend and cooked up a storm. Now stocked up with grilled chicken, mashed cauliflower, compliant veggie soup, roasted sweet potatoes, ground sirloin meatballs, etc. etc.

- Thanks to the W30, I know how how it feels to be strong, well rested and free from the guilt-tentacles of mindless, checked-out eating. Having that model of inner alignment at the ready makes this unhealthy eating pattern feel really undesirable.

- Feeling very grateful for this forum and for the community... in moments of success and moments of relapse!

Oh my goodness, I'm utterly relieved to check in with this thread this morning. Thanks to each of those who have shared their post-W30 bumps and bruises here.... I'm right there with you! Went slightly nuts this weekend (pizza! cheeseburgers! cookies! candy!). And of course, I felt like dog doo yesterday. And let's just say the workout this morning was not a Triumph of the Human Spirit experience. My issues with food have never been clearer, or more aggravating. I was able to stay away from sugar without much difficulty for 30 days, but the second I'm left to my own devices, I go crazy. Ohhhhhkay.

- The type of mindless, checked-out, face-stuffing eating I did yesterday used to be par for the course for me. Even a year ago, yesterday's food intake would have been a completely normal day for me.

- I stepped into action this weekend and cooked up a storm. Now stocked up with grilled chicken, mashed cauliflower, compliant veggie soup, roasted sweet potatoes, ground sirloin meatballs, etc. etc.

- Thanks to the W30, I know how how it feels to be strong, well rested and free from the guilt-tentacles of mindless, checked-out eating. Having that model of inner alignment at the ready makes this unhealthy eating pattern feel really undesirable.

- Feeling very grateful for this forum and for the community... in moments of success and moments of relapse!

I seriously thought I was going to come in here and admit to my defeat to find everyone else was sunshine and rainbows and adjusting so easily to their post-whole30-life. That mindless eating.. I had stomach aches from eating as much as I did and I just didn't want to stop! The interesting thing is that the shake I had after sushi, normally I would have finished, but I could only finish half of it. So something has happened to my stomach or the brain reaction to fullness.

Maybe this is just the wakeup call that some part of us each needed to know that this is how we SHOULD be eating.

...And let's just say the workout this morning was not a Triumph of the Human Spirit experience. My issues with food have never been clearer, or more aggravating. I was able to stay away from sugar without much difficulty for 30 days, but the second I'm left to my own devices, I go crazy. Ohhhhhkay.

Brilliant word picture on the work out. Brilliant.

Once I got past the magical 30, I felt a certain sense of anxiety and the little demons in my psyche were working hard to sabotage me.

I have had similar positive observations. Even with my one non-compliant meal, I was very cognizant of what I was doing. And instead of saying, "oh well, let's (the demons and I) gorge the rest of the day," I snapped right back to compliance. It was a moment. And I was mindful of it. I had "help" from my family too. "It's your birthday!" "You have to treat yourself now and then." But I can't blame them. I'm a big girl and make my own choices.

I'm still feeling a little bloat and, well, gas from that one meal. Yesterday my ankles got itchy. One meal. It's a stark contrast to the great days of compliance. You know, the ones past the oh-my-god-need-sleep-now days.

And yes, this community is vital to me as I relearn eating and self-care.

I seriously thought I was going to come in here and admit to my defeat to find everyone else was sunshine and rainbows and adjusting so easily to their post-whole30-life. That mindless eating.. I had stomach aches from eating as much as I did and I just didn't want to stop! The interesting thing is that the shake I had after sushi, normally I would have finished, but I could only finish half of it. So something has happened to my stomach or the brain reaction to fullness.

Maybe this is just the wakeup call that some part of us each needed to know that this is how we SHOULD be eating.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

After my one day "off," I've decided to do a Whole60 complete with a new log (shown in my signature). Having that boundary serves me. I need to keep working on various aspects of nutrition, exercise, and mindset. And I need more time with compliance to push my inflammation into the past.

Questions:

Are you posting a log elsewhere in or off the forum?

I find the amount of information in the forum at large overwhelming. So I come back to the same threads over and over. I look outside of that once in a while to freshen my perspective a bit. Are there other places you go in the forum that are particularly helpful or interesting to you?

I have totally and completely fallen off the wagon. I don't think I've had a paleo meal in 4 days. Starting back up on Whole30/21DSD tomorrow. I am so upset with myself.

... I have serious addiction issues with food, especially the ones that aren't good for me, and I need to avoid the food groups that I shouldn't have until my body is used to not having them, not craving them, etc. Anyone else feeling something similar? Feeling pretty alone in my non-paleo real life world.

Oh, how I relate!

So when I finished my Whole30 and went to my friend's birthday dinner, I ate the grilled salmon entree (good choice), but also ate the chips & salsa that sat there beforehand.. for no reason; I'm not even a big chip lover. Just mindless habit, I guess. I did have a few cookies - homemade by a friend who has her own cookie business. This was my first time having her cookies in months and I did not regret that AT ALL. I also had about 3 glasses of wine (Moscato D'Asti), which was the most wine I ever had at once.

That Monday at work, I had to go home early because I felt SO BAD!!

I've had some non-Paleo foods: pizza one day, cookies (my major weakness), and a Symphony bar. Other than that, it's been Paleo foods.

Had a dinner party Saturday night:

- Spinach salad with apples, walnuts, balsamic vinegar, olive oil

- Best Chicken You'll Ever Eat (Well Fed)

- Chipotle mango "sauce" to go with chicken (PaleOMG)

- Moroccan dip to go with chicken (Well Fed)

- Garlic mashed cauliflower (Well Fed)

- Cumin-roasted carrots (Well Fed)

- baked plantains with cinnamon on top, for "dessert"

Friday night, I saw a ton of ground lamb at Kroger for $6.99/lb. It all said use or freeze by Saturday, so I asked the manager for a discount. He gave it to me for $1.99/lb! So I bought 8 lbs of lamb and cooked:

- Shepherd's Pie (Well Fed)

- Moroccan Meatballs (Well Fed) <-- sooooooooo good

- Egg / veggie / lamb casserole

- browned the lamb for hot plates this week

To summarize, my entrees have been Paleo other than the pizza one night. But I definitely need to stay away from cookies, as they are truly a Food Without Brakes for me. I wish I felt toward cookies the way I feel toward cake, ice cream, and chips. I've had a zillion bags of various chips in my office since last week for a Toastmasters event and didn't have the slightest urge to eat any of them. But I also had 2 bags of cookies and let's just say... I ended up having to replace one of the bags.

So after my week of too many cookie-indulgances, it's 21DSD time! I started this morning with 2 fried eggs and a green smoothie sans fruit: almond milk, 1/2 avocado, frozen kale. It is SO NASTY! I drank less than half of it. Was hoping to have green smoothies for breakfast, as that's convenient for my lifestyle, but not with the way it's tasting! I'll probably switch to eggs, a big salad, and dressing for breakfast.

After my one day "off," I've decided to do a Whole60 complete with a new log (shown in my signature). Having that boundary serves me. I need to keep working on various aspects of nutrition, exercise, and mindset. And I need more time with compliance to push my inflammation into the past.

Questions:

Are you posting a log elsewhere in or off the forum?

I find the amount of information in the forum at large overwhelming. So I come back to the same threads over and over. I look outside of that once in a while to freshen my perspective a bit. Are there other places you go in the forum that are particularly helpful or interesting to you?

Yea, I find it overwhelming too plus I feel like I know you all and your backgrounds so I get more information in this thread. If you all start posting elsewhere let me know please. I'd like to do a log but I won't keep up with it.

I threw out my old greek yogurts (this is how hard I have been clinging to my morning smoothies as they were over two weeks expired!). I have decided that on most days I am going to be 100% Whole 30 compliant. Then on days that there are social events (restaurants with friends, etc) I am going to be as compliant as I can be (for example tomorrow is my daughter's actual 6th birthday so we are going to her fave Mexican restaurant downtown, I will have chicken fajitas, guacamole and salsa and not worry if it is cooked in the wrong oil or if added sugars, etc (I don't think so as this place is pretty fresh).

I want to figure out a good substitute for my greek yogurt though for on the go. I used to make a smoothie with them (kale, blackberries, avocado) and drink right after yoga in the car on the way home. But now they smoothies don't have protein without the greek yogurt (and I don't want to do nut butters, I really hate them in smootheis) so I need a protein substitute. My friend at the studio (who went Paleo same as me so we talk all the time) has inflammation issues with dairy and soy so uses a pea protein powder. I am thinking of trying it out just for my two mornings of power hot yoga when I cannot eat before and I enjoyed having a smoothie after and then sitting down for a hearty lunch a few hours later.

Any other suggestions?

So far so good avoiding the 20 extra cupcakes we have in the freezer. Sigh.

...But now they smoothies don't have protein without the greek yogurt (and I don't want to do nut butters, I really hate them in smootheis) so I need a protein substitute. My friend at the studio (who went Paleo same as me so we talk all the time) has inflammation issues with dairy and soy so uses a pea protein powder. I am thinking of trying it out just for my two mornings of power hot yoga when I cannot eat before and I enjoyed having a smoothie after and then sitting down for a hearty lunch a few hours later.

Any other suggestions?

So far so good avoiding the 20 extra cupcakes we have in the freezer. Sigh.

When I was doing this other program, Clean, a suggested protein for smoothies was brown rice protein powder. It did help me stay full.. I doubt it's Paleo-friendly, though (haven't researched to verify since I ran out and didn't replace).

Also, one thing that I am so grateful for is that my husband is still on board with me. On Saturday he drank a bunch of beer and had Goldfish crackers and some potato chips and woke up Saturday feeling like crap (also sleeping in guest room because his snoring, which happens when he drinks beer, made me kick him out!). Anyway, he is on board and he and I are kind of competitive. Yesterday when I had the cake and started eating candy he was on me about it by saying 'Are you just going off now or what?' which honestly made me sit up and think about it.

This is going to be a journey for me big time. I remember about 15 years ago we went camping with friends and we brought tons of beer and the usual morning bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, cheese, etc. Our friend who is super healthy vegetarian brought unsalted almonds for breakfast and I was just floored. But he just isn't into food at all. He literally has to remind himself to eat so I realize my cravings/addictions are there big time and want to slowly chip away at them :) Thanks for *listening.*

When I was doing this other program, Clean, a suggested protein for smoothies was brown rice protein powder. It did help me stay full.. I doubt it's Paleo-friendly, though (haven't researched to verify since I ran out and didn't replace).

I think I'll try the pea powder. I just hope it isn't super expensive. I will check out the brown rice if the pea doesn't work :)

Archived