Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I finished my first Whole 30 last week too. The first day I had popcorn, oh how my gut ached. The second day I was fine but Saturday I ate at a Chinese restaurant, and oh the pain. We had planned on going on a second Whole30 within the week and actually started today. Anyone else? Want to start a new post for those doing their second.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be a journey for me big time.... I realize my cravings/addictions are there big time and want to slowly chip away at them :) Thanks for *listening.*

This is a great reminder for all of us who've been going through a bumpy re-entry into non-W30 foods.

When I look back on what I was eating 15 years ago, I can see how much more mindful and aware I am, and how much healthier my diet is now. It's good to get those reminders that the needle is moving in the right direction.... Chipping away is good work.

I may just get the whey isolate. My kids could use this too. I have no problem with dairy and it is good protein. I like what Mark Sisson (he always comes up first when I google anything Paleo, lol) has to say about how you really should eat real food but if slamming a drink on your way to work gets you home earlier... For me, it will allow me to do my yoga class and get to work and still be able to eat two other meals and it is just twice a week so I'm going to keep the smoothies.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-isolate-concentrate-hydrolysate/#axzz2JxH9cgeh

Helen, I think it depends on how faithful you want to be to "paleo." My understanding is that no protein powders are technically paleo. The egg white comes closest to the content of it, I would think, but not the spirit (drinking food and so on). I know some other people who are declare themselves paleo. They also include honey and dairy. So they use a grass fed whey protein powder. I think it depends also on what you find you can eat having gone through the reintroduction schedule. If grains work, then brown rice might work (some are better tasting than others, by the way). If dairy works, then whey. If legumes work for you, then pea powder. And so on.

For a while last year, I'd toss an egg in my smoothie. It sounded so gross, but then it was amazing. The smoothie was thick and creamy. It worked best with fruit or vanilla or both in an almond milk base.

Your question got me wondering about having a green smoothie paired with jerky or nuts, if you tolerate them. Not in the cup together, of course. Yuk. Jerky smoothie. Not a taste I want to experience. Or what about boiled eggs or ???

Helen, I think it depends on how faithful you want to be to "paleo." My understanding is that no protein powders are technically paleo. The egg white comes closest to the content of it, I would think, but not the spirit (drinking food and so on). I know some other people who are declare themselves paleo. They also include honey and dairy. So they use a grass fed whey protein powder. I think it depends also on what you find you can eat having gone through the reintroduction schedule. If grains work, then brown rice might work (some are better tasting than others, by the way). If dairy works, then whey. If legumes work for you, then pea powder. And so on.

For a while last year, I'd toss an egg in my smoothie. It sounded so gross, but then it was amazing. The smoothie was thick and creamy. It worked best with fruit or vanilla or both in an almond milk base.

Your question got me wondering about having a green smoothie paired with jerky or nuts, if you tolerate them. Not in the cup together, of course. Yuk. Jerky smoothie. Not a taste I want to experience. Or what about boiled eggs or ???

I do not like boiled egg yolks. I just cannot stand them. I love eggs and eat them all the time but either over hard or scrambled. I hate this about myself as it creates problems. I will make the smoothie before I go and it will sit in my car in a jar (in the winter just like that and in the summer I put it in a kids insulated bag) so the raw egg seems kind of sketchy. I don't have any dairy issues which is why I think I'll just get the whey isolate (most pure form) and try it first.

Hey Jtota,

I would have suggested this earlier in your W30 if I knew that your energy never got better, but reading your blog (which is hilarious, btw), I wonder if you wouldn't benefit from seeing a naturopath or functional medicine doc to check in on some stuff?

Getting 8-9 hours of sleep, eating great food, doing slow yoga a few times a week and STILL feeling exhausted, without any major life stuff going on (you aren't a shift worker, are you? I can't remember)...screams of unresolved adrenal stuff going on. Whole30 and low impact exercise will get you at least partially there, but sometimes a more targeted intervention is necessary.

Either that or maybe a consult with the W9 team?

If I didn't have dairy issues - and I used to think I didn't, darn it - I'd totally go whey. It's the least gritty and icky of protein powders that I've experienced.

In a past life I worked for a naturopath and I did a raw foods elimination diet and she laughed because I literally have a gut of steel. It's been a good 15 years though and sensitivities change. I was thinking of doing a raw thing in May after the semester is over maybe just because I felt great that week. My metabolism tanked when I hit 40 so working on that. I just need to eat whole foods and less of them which Whole30 hit right on the money for me :)

She and I still talk (the naturopath) and she kind of despises Paleo. She's a huge animal rights activist though. She thinks it works for some but she also thinks a plant based diet works for most too.

Hello, strangers! So I got the flu a week ago and spent three days (the last three days of the Whole 30 - I was robbed!) home sick, and the last three days recovering. I'm finally feeling better. I did go slightly non-W30 with some Oscillococcinum on day 29, but it seemed like a necessary sacrifice.

Since ending, I have reintroduced wine and gluten (separately and together) and had no ill effects. I didn't go crazy like it sounds like some of you did, just had some paleo sausage with a whole wheat bun on Saturday, toast for breakfast on Sunday, etc. So far I've noticed nothing untoward with the reintroduction.

The good news about my Whole 30: I lost 11.3 lbs! Holy moly! That was about my goal, but I didn't actually think I'd see it. Very exciting. Other than that and a leveling of my energy and hunger throughout my days (which I attribute to not pounding sugar all over the place), I saw no noticeable changes on the Whole 30. In fact, I've slept better since reintroducing gluten than I did (except that one night) on the Whole 30. Isn't that odd? Although maybe it's more my body recovering from the flu than anything else. Whatever it is, I'm glad to FINALLY be sleeping through the night again.

I'm back to Paleo today, will be reintroducing dairy on Wednesday with some Greek yogurt and a Mexican food dinner. Legumes will probably happen on the weekend.

As far as going forward, I'm not sure I'm sold on the Whole 30, but I do want to try another in the summer to see if I see a difference if I do it longer. I never stopped having cravings, I never saw a marked energy level difference (although I may have had too high of expectations on that one - as someone said earlier on here, I was expecting to be climbing mountains while solving quadratic equations and knitting a scarf, or whatever), I didn't sleep better, saw no improvements in my GI complaints (except when I first started the probitotic, but not again since then), etc etc. However, I still haven't had any sugar or gone off my reintro plan, so I haven't fallen all the way back down the rabbit hole. My boyfriend wants to remain mostly Paleo for strictly blood sugar reasons - his b.s. is super controlled when he eats that way, so we will probably maintain some semblance of a Paleo diet from here on out.

I will tell you I am REALLY tired of everything tasting like coconut. I need to find some good go-to recipes that don't use coconut. It's starting to make me gag.

Also - NatPatBen - we tried the jicama home fries, and I didn't like them, either.

Congratulations on the Whole 30 completion, everyone! I'll be interested to see how we all do from here!! And I'll be checking out jtota's blog, too. ;)

@cupcakeninja: great results! I've made a zillion recipes from Well Fed and enjoyed all of them except the jicama home fries and egg foo yong (but that was one of my husband's favorites). Different taste buds...

So I think I know one place I went wrong with the Whole30. In the first few days, I'd get the "no sugar" headache and just eat a piece of fruit to make it go away. Since I'm doing no fruit for 21 days, I got the headache again today. But this time, I'm riding it out for 2-3 days (well, using Natural Calm), because I know that after those days, it will go away and I'll be fine.

I also ordered a treadmill last week that will arrive this evening. Looking forward to it, as I plan to walk every day while watching a show I never miss: Wheel of Fortune. "Walk and Wheel" I'm calling it.

Also, I think someone on this thread mentioned "Lights Out" before. Well, I ordered that book and started reading it last week. I find the author's premise fascinating & one I've never heard before. But the book is SOOOOOOooo boring that I don't think I'll pick it up again. What he says in the first few pages is: Our society has health problems because of all the carbs we eat (particularly sugar). We eat carbs because our bodies think it's summertime so 1) fruit is in season and 2) we must store fat for the winter. Our bodies think it's summertime because of the amount of [artificial] light we see even when it's dark outside. If we go to sleep when the sun goes down & wake up with the sun, our bodies will better know what season we're in and will not crave carbs to get fat in preparation for wintertime.

If we go to sleep when the sun goes down & wake up with the sun, our bodies will better know what season we're in and will not crave carbs to get fat in preparation for wintertime.

I would love to go to bed early and sleep in that late at in winter. The business machine would not care for that approach.

I find it so hard to wake up when it's dark. So, so hard.

@cupcakeninja: great results! I've made a zillion recipes from Well Fed and enjoyed all of them except the jicama home fries and egg foo yong (but that was one of my husband's favorites). Different taste buds...

So I think I know one place I went wrong with the Whole30. In the first few days, I'd get the "no sugar" headache and just eat a piece of fruit to make it go away. Since I'm doing no fruit for 21 days, I got the headache again today. But this time, I'm riding it out for 2-3 days (well, using Natural Calm), because I know that after those days, it will go away and I'll be fine.

I also ordered a treadmill last week that will arrive this evening. Looking forward to it, as I plan to walk every day while watching a show I never miss: Wheel of Fortune. "Walk and Wheel" I'm calling it.

Also, I think someone on this thread mentioned "Lights Out" before. Well, I ordered that book and started reading it last week. I find the author's premise fascinating & one I've never heard before. But the book is SOOOOOOooo boring that I don't think I'll pick it up again. What he says in the first few pages is: Our society has health problems because of all the carbs we eat (particularly sugar). We eat carbs because our bodies think it's summertime so 1) fruit is in season and 2) we must store fat for the winter. Our bodies think it's summertime because of the amount of [artificial] light we see even when it's dark outside. If we go to sleep when the sun goes down & wake up with the sun, our bodies will better know what season we're in and will not crave carbs to get fat in preparation for wintertime.

Wow. Interesting! I love the name Walk and Wheel -- so awesome. Yay for your new treadmill !!! That is so positive.

I rarely eat fruit myself so that is interesting to me. I usually eat a little banana an some blackberries in my smoothies but not always. Am excited to here about the next 21 days for you. I still haven't convinced myself to buy Natural Calm. It is so expensive. I have a Ca and Mg supplement already too.

So after my week of too many cookie-indulgances, it's 21DSD time! I started this morning with 2 fried eggs and a green smoothie sans fruit: almond milk, 1/2 avocado, frozen kale. It is SO NASTY! I drank less than half of it. Was hoping to have green smoothies for breakfast, as that's convenient for my lifestyle, but not with the way it's tasting! I'll probably switch to eggs, a big salad, and dressing for breakfast.

Are you doing no fruit at all or are you following her 1 green tipped banana or 1 green apple a day? Cuz you could try the banana in that smoothie.

I can't tell you how happy I feel today, just knowing that I was back to my happy compliant foods. :) We got our yoga mats today and they weren't supposed to be here til Thursday! I guess we'll be getting started.. erm, Wednesday, because I have ballet tomorrow night.

Ok, back online now. Haven't had internet access since our move on Friday. I wasn't able to stick with my goal to go straight into another Whole30. With the move, I immediately fell back into my routine of not eating three meals. On Saturday, we made several trips back and forth between the apartment and house and I skipped breakfast and lunch. On Sunday, we went to church early so no breakfast again. Then we made more trips to move more stuff (still no food in the fridge or freezer or pantry) before we went to a Superbowl party so no lunch either. At the party, I did have one bloody mary, then switched to Perrier with lime. I did well on the food (veggie tray, deer backstrap, smoked shrimp skewer, brisket, but then did have a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and topped with bacon crumbles - I did pass on the chips and dip, the potatoes, the pigs in blankets, the brownies and apple pie!)

Today, I had every intention of being back on plan. Started dealing with the house and the installation of internet, cable, etc. - one problem after the other, ended up with a house full of people because of the problems and I skipped lunch AGAIN!! I did have breakfast of chicken and veggies and I had a small steak, sweet potato and spinach for dinner. Furniture being delivered tomorrow and tv being installed, but I already have my meals prepared for tomorrow as well as a trip to the grocery planned so that moving forward I should be back on track. The good news is that I still haven't had to take insulin.

I finally ordered It Starts With Food and it along with Practical Paleo is being delivered tomorrow along with some coconut flakes. I also have a Spiral Veggie Cutter thingie being delivered tomorrow and then some more Almond Flour in a couple days. Time to order more coconut oil and olive oil too. I have decided that I am going to begin again next Monday, but this time I am going in knowing that I am going to commit to a full 60 days. Clearly, my issues/relationship with food are still no where near where they need to be!! I'll be doing this until I get it right.

Ok, back online now. Haven't had internet access since our move on Friday. I wasn't able to stick with my goal to go straight into another Whole30. With the move, I immediately fell back into my routine of not eating three meals. On Saturday, we made several trips back and forth between the apartment and house and I skipped breakfast and lunch. On Sunday, we went to church early so no breakfast again. Then we made more trips to move more stuff (still no food in the fridge or freezer or pantry) before we went to a Superbowl party so no lunch either. At the party, I did have one bloody mary, then switched to Perrier with lime. I did well on the food (veggie tray, deer backstrap, smoked shrimp skewer, brisket, but then did have a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and topped with bacon crumbles - I did pass on the chips and dip, the potatoes, the pigs in blankets, the brownies and apple pie!)

Today, I had every intention of being back on plan. Started dealing with the house and the installation of internet, cable, etc. - one problem after the other, ended up with a house full of people because of the problems and I skipped lunch AGAIN!! I did have breakfast of chicken and veggies and I had a small steak, sweet potato and spinach for dinner. Furniture being delivered tomorrow and tv being installed, but I already have my meals prepared for tomorrow as well as a trip to the grocery planned so that moving forward I should be back on track. The good news is that I still haven't had to take insulin.

I finally ordered It Starts With Food and it along with Practical Paleo is being delivered tomorrow along with some coconut flakes. I also have a Spiral Veggie Cutter thingie being delivered tomorrow and then some more Almond Flour in a couple days. Time to order more coconut oil and olive oil too. I have decided that I am going to begin again next Monday, but this time I am going in knowing that I am going to commit to a full 60 days. Clearly, my issues/relationship with food are still no where near where they need to be!! I'll be doing this until I get it right.

Skipping meals when I'm busy stressed is a problem for me too and it spirals into bad eating. That is something I've learned from the Whole 30 for sure.

Hang in there! Moving is so chaotic but you'll be back in stride soon :) Sounds like you did great to me and congrats on still not taking insulin. That is awesome!!

So yesterday at work I brought some nuts from Trader Joes (I really cannot bring food into the lab that isn't commercially sealed before as it just grosses me out) which were single serving 'trail mixes' which had cashews, almonds and small pieces of dark chocolate. I really liked having the dark chocolate I must admit. Except for that I was Whole30 compliant. Tonight is my daughter's birthday dinner at the Mexican restaurant. I'll have fajitas (just the meat, onions and peppers...so glad they use red and green), guac and salsa but otherwise staying compliant (I guess Paleo compliant).

I need the rules I've realized. I don't have issues with grains or dairy but not eating them makes me eat a lot healthier, more consciously making choices for fresh vegetables and unprocessed foods. And I don't miss them when I don't eat them.

How are you all doing? I like hearing your progress !!

What grosses you out about it? :) That dinner sounds really good!

I need the rules, too. I know a lot of the uninformed/misinformed like to say that the ONLY reason people see improvements from removing grains from their diet is because they are increasing their vegetable intake. You know, I'm okay with that, if it's the only reason.

I'm doing okay today. Stayed up too late last night. I keep being the keeper of my husband, which means suddenly it's 9:45 and I have to start being his alarm to tell him to walk the dog, get ready for bed, etc. Didn't get into bed til 10:45. Argh. My body woke itself at 6:11 of all times. I'm dragging a bit, but I've been without caffeine for close to a week now and I'm not even keeping coffee in the house to tempt me. I did "sneak" something yesterday. Someone on my vitamix group posted a recipe for 2 ingredient paleo pancakes (4 eggs, 2 overripe bananas) so I made a batch for my son (who doesn't eat eggs, but ate three pancakes!) and I tasted one little bit to see what it was like. No wonder he likes it, it is very sweet. I ordered the 25 lb box of almond flour from Honeyville and will use that for the Paleo Parent's Easy Peasy Pancakes then keep them in the freezer for the kids. Today I sent my daughter to school with some leftover chicken and potatoes in a thermos with a little container of ketchup. I hope hope hope she eats it. I'm trying SO hard to not do sandwiches, though I might try those pancakes as "bread".

I found a farm that has a buying club in my area that sells forest raised pork. The bacon is half the cost of my farmer! Tomorrow I'm headed to Costco to reinstate my membership. I am looking forward to easing my budget back a bit. I've started plotting out my garden: strawberries, spinach, swiss chard, 4 types of lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, mint, oregano, basil, parsley, tomatoes and bell peppers. :) I'm letting my daughter have some squares to plant flowers, too.

I feel ON TOP OF THE WORLD today! Yesterday, my head was killing me. I got home and was just waiting until it was late enough to go to sleep for the night. While waiting, I ate a small dinner and walked on the treadmill during Wheel of Fortune. My husband had the remote and refused to ff through commercials AND kept pausing the show, to make my walk last longer. I went to bed at 9 and set my alarm for 5:35... but I woke up at least 3 times to use the restroom during the night. That was record-setting.

When I woke up, the scale told me that I was down 2 lbs from my end-of-Whole30 weight. I know that weight fluctuates and blah blah blah, but it DID feel good to see a lower number. Then, since I got up much earlier than I needed to leave (6:30), I had time to leisurely shower, iron clothes, fix breakfast (boiled eggs, slices of avocado, red & green bell peppers, cherry tomatoes) & lunch (garlic mashed cauliflower, Moroccan meatballs, large salad with homemade dressing).

Then instead of going to my regular office, I went to the one down the street where I gave a presentation to the Vice President of my organization and his direct reports; it went very well DESPITE my lack of practice yesterday (my head just hurt way too much to practice).

Tried Perrier for the first time. Yuck!

Are you doing no fruit at all or are you following her 1 green tipped banana or 1 green apple a day? Cuz you could try the banana in that smoothie.

What! A green tipped banana or a green apple is allowed!?! You just made my day. I didn't buy the book because I didn't want to pay $20 to hear "Whole30 - Fruit" so I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! Of course, I PREFER very ripe bananas and red delicious apples, but less preferred fruit is better than none!

Someone on my vitamix group posted a recipe for 2 ingredient paleo pancakes (4 eggs, 2 overripe bananas) so I made a batch for my son (who doesn't eat eggs, but ate three pancakes!) and I tasted one little bit to see what it was like. No wonder he likes it, it is very sweet. ... though I might try those pancakes as "bread".

A similar recipe I found, that might make you feel better eating it, is zucchini fritters. 3 eggs, 1 TBSP nut flour, salt & pepper, & 2 medium zucchini shredded. Mix it up & cook like pancakes. My husband LOVED these (though he wanted meat in it, which is probably why he really liked the egg foo yong). A variation I made is with 1/2 banana and carrots instead of zucchini, plus some chopped hazelnuts or pecans.

Snail blood.

That's what I have today. I'm just sluggish. Slow. Dull. What the heck? Can this really be the one meal with the little bits of dairy, potatoes, and non-compliant bacon I had on Saturday?

The only other real difference in what I'm eating is the sausages I got from the German meat market. I asked about sugar, preservatives and artificial ingredients. Maybe I should have asked about gluten and dairy. Hmmmm.

I've averaged 8.6 hours of sleep the past 4 nights, no less than 8 each night.

I've also been primarily at my desk these past 2 days, researching, reading, and ideating for a presentation. Maybe the high brain activity and anxiety over the presentation are keeping me "down."

And it's edging toward mid-February, when I typically discover I'm getting a little winter blues. 10 years ago it would be a painful ache in my soul. The last 4 years, post gluten, have been more of a blip.

To add insult to injury, I discovered today that I didn't win a big, exciting bid for a new client. Boooo!

I'm thinking about closing up mental shop early today, meditating sooner, and crawling into bed before I normally would. Maybe a little cleansing sleep would help.

Oh, 1/1 peeps.... Well, my 1/31 dinner posted earlier was as non-compliant as I got. I immediately launched into an attempt at the AIP. And I just decided to bag it. Too hard. Not prepared enough. Hungry. Obsessive. Downstream result was bound to be a really hard fall.

So, I just had some eggs and almonds in my lunch, and I feel like I "cheated." And also like I just sank into a warm bath, aaaaahhhh. What a relief!

I suppose I'll spin it as an ultimately positive, post-W30 strategy... up the restriction-ante, so that a reversal to my 'new normal' (W30-compliant) feels like indulgence. I'm beating myself up a little for "failing" but I know that's totally stoopit.

I've been reading and keeping up with all your post-W30 experimenting. I have to say I am so happy I didn't get back into the sugar. I've gone there before, and I know I'm one bite away from eating the whole cheesecake.

Got Well-Fed as a gift and I'm making chocolate chili for dinner. Going to Wellness Meats to order some bacon. Haven't tried it yet... hopefully it's back in stock.

Keepin' on.

Got Well-Fed as a gift and I'm making chocolate chili for dinner. Going to Wellness Meats to order some bacon. Haven't tried it yet... hopefully it's back in stock.

Please let me know if you taste the chocolate in your chocolate chili. I didn't have cocoa powder, so I grated a bar of 100% cocoa instead and didn't really measure it. Maybe I didn't put enough... or maybe you don't really taste it.

Archived