Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Smoothie popsickles? Say more! My 15 month old LOVES cold stuff.

I have a Vitamix, and I more or less got it just for this. I started off with just a simple recipe of 1 banana, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup coconut water, a handful of pepitas, a handful of spinach (I cook it then squeeze the liquid out and freeze them into ~1 tbsp balls to get rid of the oxalates), a few dates (depending on size, so if they're big I might use two but if they're teeny I might use 4), 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds and some yogurt or milk kefir. I blitz it all in the Vitamix until smooth, and sometimes I use frozen banana to help keep it cold/unmelted until it gets completely smooth. I have since adjusted my recipe by sight. This last time I put probably 1 1/2 bananas in, the rest of a package of frozen cherries, about 3/4 cup frozen blueberries, frozen spinach (I didn't have time to cook it because were out of popsicles and they were being requested!), a full juicebox of coconut water, half of the container of remaining milk kefir, eyeballed the pepitas, chia seeds and cocoa powder and threw in about 6 dates. It was more liquid than smoothie but it worked just the same. I have two kinds of popsicle molds: the kind that are hard plastic with the sticks you put on top and the silicone pushpop kind, which he hasn't quite figured out so I usually put it in a bowl and nuke it for about 15 seconds to soften and cut it up with a spoon.

This last batch the milk kefir was rather stinky but he still loves it. I'm waiting for my first batch of coconut milk kefir to finish, probably by the end of today/tomorrow morning which will time perfectly for the next batch! There's usually some leftover (or at least I try to time it that way) from making popsicles so then he gets to drink the leftovers. :)

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We co-slept with our kids too. My youngest still climbs in bed with us every night around midnight which is cool but the past two nights my now 6 year old has joined her and I have slept terribly. I blame the birthday excitment for Tues but not sure what happened last night. I am so wiped out.

But I got my Vitamix! Any suggestions on what speed for how to make the Larabars? I am buying the dates today. The recipe I am doing is almonds, coconut flakes, tsp coconut oil and dates. I only have the wet blade so if you have suggestions on how to do it let me know. I don't want to screw up as our budget is super tight until I get paid on the 31st. :)

After many attempts to move my very attached child to her own room we ended up moving her mattress into our room. She still tries to climb into our bed in the middle of the night. My son at least has his crib attached to our bed without the side so there's a little bit of room, but some days I have woken up feeling like a sausage. ;)

I have not made Larabars with my Vitamix yet! I imagine it would be done with the wet blade. There's a yahoo group I'm in called VitamixEnthusiasts and there's SO much information in the files/links sections on how to do things. I know there was a discussion about Larabars in the last few months, too. I have had a couple of failed attempts following recipes on blogs in my food processor so let me know how yours turns out! I stopped feeding them to my kids because the company does not support GMO labeling.

After many attempts to move my very attached child to her own room we ended up moving her mattress into our room. She still tries to climb into our bed in the middle of the night. My son at least has his crib attached to our bed without the side so there's a little bit of room, but some days I have woken up feeling like a sausage. ;)

I have not made Larabars with my Vitamix yet! I imagine it would be done with the wet blade. There's a yahoo group I'm in called VitamixEnthusiasts and there's SO much information in the files/links sections on how to do things. I know there was a discussion about Larabars in the last few months, too. I have had a couple of failed attempts following recipes on blogs in my food processor so let me know how yours turns out! I stopped feeding them to my kids because the company does not support GMO labeling.

Thanks I sent a request to join just now! My girls are only 18 months apart (now 6 and 4.5) so we slept all four of us in our queen size bed forever. I finally transitioned my oldest and the girls go to bed together in her room and occasionally the youngest makes it all night but most nights comes with us! My oldest sleeps solid now by herself most of the time.

They didn't have dates at Trader Joes today. They had tons on Friday. Sold out! So my homemade Larabars will have to wait. I did do better on my budget. I am buying frozen chicken breasts and thighs and marinating (so good). I still cannot find chicken broth without something in it non-compliant. I found one container in organic section at Kroger and now wish I had bought several as they have been out for weeks.

I only spent $150 for the week including everything and including dog food, dishwashing soap and some snacks for a party we are going to Sunday. My goal is to get us down to under $800 for everything (groceries, household items, eating out, alcohol and treats).

I only spent $150 for the week including everything and including dog food, dishwashing soap and some snacks for a party we are going to Sunday. My goal is to get us down to under $800 for everything (groceries, household items, eating out, alcohol and treats).

We spent about $150 this week, too. And that includes food for a dinner party we hosted on Saturday. I hope we can get down to $500/month for groceries.

Thanks I sent a request to join just now! My girls are only 18 months apart (now 6 and 4.5) so we slept all four of us in our queen size bed forever. I finally transitioned my oldest and the girls go to bed together in her room and occasionally the youngest makes it all night but most nights comes with us! My oldest sleeps solid now by herself most of the time.

They didn't have dates at Trader Joes today. They had tons on Friday. Sold out! So my homemade Larabars will have to wait. I did do better on my budget. I am buying frozen chicken breasts and thighs and marinating (so good). I still cannot find chicken broth without something in it non-compliant. I found one container in organic section at Kroger and now wish I had bought several as they have been out for weeks.

Do you have a crock pot? For cheaper you could buy whole chickens, throw it in the crock pot with water and a splash of apple cider vinegar (to help pull the minerals out of the bones) and let it go for 24 hours.

I keep forgetting to mention one of those "weird" things that has resolved itself during my Whole30. Almost 2 years ago I had a root canal done, my first one ever, in one of my lower back molars (just before the wisdom teeth that I don't have). I understood it would be sensitive for the first couple of weeks but the discomfort continued. I went back to the dentist about a month after the procedure and he readjusted my bite/drilled into the crown to fix it and huzzah, no more discomfort. For a little while, but then it came back. I just kind of dealt with it. I saw another dentist (the dentist that did the work is no longer with the practice) who took a x-ray and said there was nothing wrong, and suggested I brush it more often. Uh, okay. Didn't work. Guess what has not been hurting the last 3-4 weeks? That tooth. I have no idea *why* but I am so thankful that it doesn't hurt anymore!

Do you have a crock pot? For cheaper you could buy whole chickens, throw it in the crock pot with water and a splash of apple cider vinegar (to help pull the minerals out of the bones) and let it go for 24 hours.

I do have one. I am embarrassed to say I've never cooked a whole chicken before :( I really lean more towards being a vegetarian. Actually I realized I don't have a problem thinking about killing a bird or fish but I have a problem with cows and pigs (I guess it is the whole mammal thing) which is why I mostly eat fish and chicken. It will be on my list of things to teach myself this month though. My husband doesn't eat dark meat so it always seemed a waste to make a whole one but my dog loves the all the gristle and skin when we make a Thanksgiving turkey and I can eat the dark meat. Plus I could make my own broth. Does it freeze??

Just made my paleo banana bread in the Vitamix (well blended the almond butter, coconut oil, eggs and bananas). It was SO much easier than using my old blender or my hand mixer. Sigh. I am in love with my Vitamix already.

We spent about $150 this week, too. And that includes food for a dinner party we hosted on Saturday. I hope we can get down to $500/month for groceries.

That is our goal. $500 or less for groceries. We like to eat out once a week with friends and that usually runs $40-$50. So that leaves $120 for the incidentals and treats when we are out or Kombucha (which I am going to learn how to make darnit!).

It's been almost a week since we finished, and I'm still 90% compliant. Friday night I ate an entire container of coconut sorbet, which contains sugar. I also picked up some coconut chips from Trader Joe's, they also had sugar. I inhaled the entire bag immediately so they're definitely not something to keep around the house. I also bought a few bars of dark chocolate from TJ's, and have been very responsibly chipping away at them slowly. And the most important thing to me: I am still sober.

I'm getting leaner still, which I like a lot. Since we're off the W30, I've started a four day powerlifting/bodybuilding split, including two days of yoga. I posted a different thread regarding protein powder options (http://forum.whole9l...protein-powder/) and I'm looking for something that will do the least harm. I appreciate Renee's advice on BCAAs, and I'm looking for one without caffeine as I work out in the evening and some of my medications interact with heavy amounts of caffeine.

Other than that, feeling awesome. Doing a lot of inward reflection and working on the other 8 factors of the Whole 9 life!

Let me know what you decide about protein powders. I am trying to decide if on the two mornings I have hot yoga whether I want to add back in whole fat greek yogurt or try a whey powder. I don't have issues with dairy but just not sure which way to go. A friend uses pea protein powder but it only had 6 g of protein per serving. The greek yogurt has 22 g. I need the protein in the morning. The yogurt has no added ingredients either. I like to have a protein smoothie at around 7 am so that by 9:30 it is mostly out of my stomach. I can't stand to eat anything before even eggs. If I wait until after I am famished and get almost nauseous.

I quit drinking in October. I am not sure if it is forever or not but I was definitely getting into a bad habit of drinking too many IPAs for stress relief and then not sleeping and feeling crappy the next day.

Am I the only one on here doing a structred reintroduction plan as outlined in ISWF? This was the part I've been looking forward to the whole time - the biggest reason I was doing the Whole 30 to start with: to figure out if I have allergies/aversions. Happy to rule out a problem with gluten so far, although I'll most likely continue to limit it in my diet for other reasons.

Hi CupcakeNinja, yes I'm also doing the reintroductions straight from ISWF (just switched the order of them)! I introduced bread and pasta on the first day - by the afternoon I felt like I had a balloon in my belly! On Day 4 had dairy and besides my sinuses feeling a bit blocked I was ok, even though I know if I'd kept the dairy up that problem would've just gotten worse. Two days ago I introduced legumes with the same problem as gluten - heaps of gas which I still have! :wacko: After reading the section on legumes in ISWF again last night, I think I'll happily avoid legumes from now on. Tomorrow is my last reintroduction, of non-gluten grains. I'm wondering whether in the case of pretty severe reactions whether it would be better to leave more than 2 days between reintroductions, but I don't have that time because we're heading overseas in 3 days.

How have yours been going since your post?

All this talk about Larabars has me fascinated..... I live in Australia and we don't have them here. What are they like and can someone post a recipe, please?! :rolleyes:

Hi CupcakeNinja, yes I'm also doing the reintroductions straight from ISWF (just switched the order of them)! I introduced bread and pasta on the first day - by the afternoon I felt like I had a balloon in my belly! On Day 4 had dairy and besides my sinuses feeling a bit blocked I was ok, even though I know if I'd kept the dairy up that problem would've just gotten worse. Two days ago I introduced legumes with the same problem as gluten - heaps of gas which I still have! :wacko: After reading the section on legumes in ISWF again last night, I think I'll happily avoid legumes from now on. Tomorrow is my last reintroduction, of non-gluten grains. I'm wondering whether in the case of pretty severe reactions whether it would be better to leave more than 2 days between reintroductions, but I don't have that time because we're heading overseas in 3 days.

How have yours been going since your post?

All this talk about Larabars has me fascinated..... I live in Australia and we don't have them here. What are they like and can someone post a recipe, please?! :rolleyes:

Hi!

First of all: http://www.larabarstore.com/?trk_src_ss=LARPAYPCWEBMACSS&gclid=CL7twJakpbUCFUfhQgodNFkA1A

Yum - Larabars. I don't have a recipe, I just wait for them to go on sale. :) It doesn't look like they ship internationally, which sucks.

So, as far as the reintro, I think I switched my days around, too - I don't remember the order they go in in ISWF. Dairy was yesterday and... didn't go as well as gluten did. About two hours after lunch and dinner (yogurt and sour cream, respectively), I had what I like to call "a bathroom event." Which SUCKS, because the yogurt and the sour cream tasted sooooooo good. I think straight up cheese is okay - which was my experience post-veganism, as well, although between then and the Whole 30 I was able to digest yogurt, sour cream, and other things, just not stright milk - and that makes sense scientifically because of how enzymes are broken down when cheese is made... I used to know more about it, but the make-up of cheese is different enough to be okay for some reason. It's still a "need to limit" food for me.

I still need to do legumes and non-gluten grains... probably one tomorrow and one on Monday... I haven't decided which will be first. I don't miss those two groups as much as I missed bread and dairy, so it will be more of a scientific test than anything. I expect to be gassy with legumes... so maybe I should try those tomorrow so I can spend my gassy days at home! :lol:

I expect to be gassy with legumes... so maybe I should try those tomorrow so I can spend my gassy days at home! :lol:

Hahaha, yes, good thinking!

What a shame about the dairy - I know you were really looking forward to the sour cream! Maybe eventually if you're able to heal your gut enough with probiotics/fermented vegetables/staying off sugar etc, your healthier 'intestinal flora' may be able to handle them?! I'm certainly going to be eating as compliantly as possible so I can do the same - with gluten, I mean. I already take probiotics but when we get back from our trip I'll be looking into fermenting my own veggies and making keffir. The more I read about a healthy gut, the more I realise how important it is and how worthwhile the effort is to have it!

Let us know how you go with the other reintroductions, and thanks for the link! :)

Good morning, good food lovers...

I'm finding that the first few days after my Whole 30 were almost as illuminating as the month of the Whole 30. This is an irritatingly obvious thing to say, but I just haven't felt great since dive-bombing back into the land of off-plan food. To wit: went to a workout last night. Struggled through the workout — like I had lost some conditioning. Dragged myself home and then slept poorly last night. Woke up with aching joints and a headache! Notice a pattern?

I'm seeing with remarkable clarity how those inflammatory foods affect me on a day to day basis. I'm seeing how it's just not worth it. The older I get, the more excited I am about feeling great and performing at a consistently high level. The sharp relief between my Whole 30 and post-Whole 30 experiences has been utterly illuminating.

I ate half a bar of Trader Joe's dark chocolate last night, as well as tiny packet of soy sauce with my sashimi for lunch, and my knees are killing me today! It could also be the foot of snow en route. Avoiding the first two is actually pretty easy, the third is inevitable though!

Forgot to mention earlier....

Last night I made the Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed (to go with the chicken & cabbage my husband cooked). This was SO GOOD it was like dessert!

Next time I make it, I will use less (or no) salt and more cinnamon & pecans. I have this on the menu for my March dinner party.

IPAs?

India Pale Ales :) Favorite craft beers (so bitter, so good). But I think I'm done with alcohol. I bought a bottle of Natural Calm today. Do you take it? Do you notice a difference. I bought a few packets and liked taking it before bed for some reason. Kind of a ritual I guess.

Forgot to mention earlier....

Last night I made the Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed (to go with the chicken & cabbage my husband cooked). This was SO GOOD it was like dessert!

Next time I make it, I will use less (or no) salt and more cinnamon & pecans. I have this on the menu for my March dinner party.

I wish I could come to your dinner parties !!

Am I the only one on here doing a structred reintroduction plan as outlined in ISWF? This was the part I've been looking forward to the whole time - the biggest reason I was doing the Whole 30 to start with: to figure out if I have allergies/aversions. Happy to rule out a problem with gluten so far, although I'll most likely continue to limit it in my diet for other reasons.

I am doing the reintroduction process next week. After my W30 ended I stayed compliant a few more days and then we had a huge birthday party for my daughter and I ended up having a piece of cake, a handful of chips and some spinach dip made with sour cream base. So, I had it all except legumes it seems. I have been compliant since (well I had a tiny amount of dark chocolate at work Wed night) but no dairy, legumes, rice or grains. My plan is to introduce yogurt on Monday and see how it goes. Then I will do legumes the next week and then I want to try rice and then grains. I did a Raw Diet elimination in the past and I didn't have any food allergies or issues. I feel more satisfied and am eating so much cleaner that I love this program. I do like basmati rice so I suspect that will be kept and greek yogurts. I debated using whey power in my smoothies instead but I'd rather eat whole food than a processed power honestly (although I may buy some for my kids and keep it as back up)..

Archived